Costa neoRomantica Review and Specifications
Specifications of Costa neoRomantica
|Year built||1993 / Age : 26|
|Builder||Fincantieri (Marghera, Italy)|
|Building cost||USD 325 million|
|Owner||Carnival Corporation & PLC|
|Speed||19 kn / 35 kph / 22 mph|
|Length (LOA)||220 m / 722 ft|
|Beam (width)||32 m / 105 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||56769 gt|
|Passengers||1578 - 1894|
|Decks with cabins||8|
|Christened by||Maria Alessandra Fantoni|
Review of Costa neoRomantica
Launched in 1993 as “Costa Romantica”, Costa neoRomantica is the second of the two Costa Cruises Classica-class ships, together with Costa neoClassica (now Grand Classica).
History - construction and ownership
Costa Cruises is a Genoa-headquartered subsidiary company owned by Carnival Corporation. Costa is Europe's second largest cruise line (after MSC) with year-round operations in the Mediterranean. Costa was founded in 1854 as a cargo shipping company. It started passenger shipping services in 1947, with regular Transatlantic crossings between Europe (Italy) and South America. In 2000, Costa Cruises was acquired by Carnival Corporation (shipowner).
The 56,769-ton, 1,344-passenger old cruise ship Costa Romantica started a whole new life after the 2011 refurbishment resulting in the new Costa neoRomantica ship. The new Romantica added some 3,000 tons to her weight, along with two brand new half decks and many new cabins (including with balconies). A service fee of six euros (approximately $7.20) is included to the onboard account of every traveler, every day. Half that sum is charged for kids under the age of eighteen years. This sum is divided as follows: two euros to the cabin steward(ess), two euros to the waiter and assistant waiter, and two euros to the personnel in Il Giardino. A 15 % service fee is included in bills for beverages and for salon and spa services.
Besides the ship's staff and crew, Costa cruise passengers are also served by Peper robots - the latest cyborg technology implemented fleetwide in 2016. These humanoid robots greet and guide passengers upon embarkation. They also assist them throughout the cruise by providing information and tips on onboard dining, entertainment, enrichment program (workshops, pre-scheduled events), casino and shopping promotions, shore excursions and tours. Pepper robots are mobile and communicate in 3 languages (English, German, Italian). They can also interpret human emotions by analyzing voice tones and facial expressions.
Cruise itinerary program
Costa neoRomantica itinerary program was previously based on late spring Atlantic crossings, summer Canary Islands cruises and early fall trip Around the World.
Starting in April 2017, the ship was based in Asia. Costa neoRomantica arrived in homeport Shanghai on April 10, 2017, following a 23-day repositioning cruise (departing March 18) from Port Louis and visiting Port Victoria, Male, Colombo, Phuket, Singapore, Da Nang, and Hong Kong. The ship was then drydock refurbished in Shanghai to be customized for the Chinese passenger sourcing. neoRomantica's first Asian cruise started on April 24, 2017 (roundtrip itinerary out of Shanghai).
The new Asian itineraries visit popular port destinations in Korea (Sokcho, Busan), Russia (Vladivostok) and Japan (Aomori, Hakodate, Kanazawa, Maizuru, Niigata, Sakaiminato, Sakata).
For summer 2019, the ship is homeported in Japan, offering roundtrips from Tokyo, Yokohama, Kobe, Fukuoka. Itineraries range from 4- to 8-night visiting ports in Japan, Korea, and Russia.
Costa neoRomantica has a total of 789 cabins (of which 34 Suite, 46 Balcony, 507 Inside, 56 Spa rooms) in 14 grades. Most Costa neoRomantica staterooms are 175-sq. foot Oceanview rooms. 27 are the wheelchair accessible cabins. The largest aboard Costa neoRomantica is the Grand Suite (505 ft2).
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
The Botticelli Restaurant is the main dining room on Costa neoRomantica. It is located on Deck 8 aft and has large windows on three sides, giving great sea views during the day. One of two sets of shades is drawn at night - plain room-darkening shades (ordinary dinners) and shades depicting classic Costa posters (festive dinners). Also for festive dinners, candles are placed on the tables. Il Giardino is ship's buffet restaurant. It is located aft on Deck 10 and is divided into small areas with wicker furniture. Outside the Il Giardino, there is an outdoor area called La Terrazza. Here there are tables for 4 with padded chairs. Service in the buffet is divided into stations. Costa neoRomantica also offers complimentary 24-Hour Room-Service
Follows the complete list of Costa neoRomantica restaurants and food bars.
- Ristorante Botticelli (complimentary 2-level aft Dining Room with 2 fixed Dinner seatings)
- Ristorante Club neoRomantica (specialty a la carte restaurant; features French and Italian cuisine, Steakhouse menu and extensive wine list; dinner-only, reservations required)
- Ristorante Samsara (serves healthy and low-calorie food; with complimentary dining room for guests in Samsara Spa cabins, and a specialty restaurant for other passengers at a surcharge/reservations are required)
- Ristorante Giardino (self-service buffet restaurant, complimentary; offers breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea at 4-5:00 p.m., and dinner; in the evening is transformed into Pizzeria, complimentary, with waiter service)
- Grill Capri (fast food station, complimentary)
- Pizzeria Capri (lunch and dinner only pizza restaurant, complimentary).
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
Even though Costa Romantica cruise ship shows her age - in the low percentage of balcony cabins, for example, or fewer recreative or dining possibilities - travelers are very impressed with its Club Squok program for children. The kids' amenities are, as was typical in the mid-1990s, quite little and narrow. Costa neoRomantica provides one dining room, the new Samsara restaurant, a grand buffet, casino, eight bars, one show lounge, 2 swimming pools, and 4 jacuzzis plus SPA. There are advantages and disadvantages to such an international cruisers base. On the pro side, it is scholastic to be exposed to distinct customs, cuisines, and points of view. On the con side, some of the people might seem rude. Because they suppose most travelers are not going to understand them, they do not greet others or apologize when suitable. While Italian is the lingua franca of the cruise liner, only Italians speak it onboard; the Filipino crew members speak English.
Follows the complete list of Costa neoRomantica lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens, and adults.
- Cabaret Vienna (main show lounge; hosts grand scale show productions, musicals, classical concerts, ballet performances, circus, and laser light shows)
- Cigar Lounge and Bar (also selling cigars and fine liquor)
- Sala Carte (cards room)
- Casino Excelsior (served by the Excelsior Bar)
- neoRomantica Atrium (multi-deck “Atrio Centrale” - an open-floor area with live music and entertainment)
- Enoteca Verona (Wine and Cheese bar; has 100+ choices of cheeses and 80+ labels of wine)
- Grand Bar Piazza Italia (bar lounge serving specialty cocktails, sparkling wines, starters; with live music entertainment)
- Biblioteca and Internet Point (combined Library/computers room)
- Galleria Via Condotti (duty and tax-free shops for brand watches, jewelry, perfumes, fashion clothes, Costa-logo merchandise, sportswear, gifts, tobacco, and liquor)
- Galeria Foto (Photo Gallery and Shop)
- Mondo Virtuale (Video Games Arcade)
- Cafeteria (chocolates, specialty coffee bar, and patisserie)
- Cappella (Wedding Chapel, also used for religious services)
- Salone Disco Tango (Disco Nightclub)
- Squok Club (kids lounge with Mini Club (3-6 yo) and Maxi Club (7-11 yo) playing rooms; with complimentary kids programme and supervised activities; complimentary babysitting)
- Centro Banessere Samsara (2-level Spa and Wellness complex, with Fitness and separate Spinning/Aerobics Room; Venus Beauty Salon, Massages and Treatments Rooms, Japanese TeaRoom, Relaxation Room, Thermal Suites, Solarium, Tepidarium (heated loungers), Laconium (low humidity sauna), Aroma Steam Baths, Thalassotherapy pool, Turkish Bath, Solarium, Saunas, Kinesis Room. All neoRomantica’s guests in Spa staterooms have free access to most of the Spa complex)
- Gymnasium (cardiovascular equipment with views overlooking the sea; VisioWeb screens enable guests to connect to the internet and their iPods to use during workouts)
- Lido Saint-Tropez pool area (with poolside bar and cabanas)
- Lido Montecarlo pool area and terrace (Montecarlo pool with one Whirlpool; served by Montecarlo Bar and Capri Grill and Pizza)
- Lido Biarritz pool area (pool with a sunbathing area; served by Montecarlo bar)
- Solarium (open-air relaxation area)
- Pista da Jogging (Power Walking/Jogging Track).
Costa neoRomantica wiki
neoRomantica is Costa's 2nd (last) Classica-Class liner, with sistership Costa neoClassica (now Grand-Classica). The vessel was built in Italy (inaugural cruise on January 1, 1993). Its first refurbishment was in 2003. The drydock refurbishment in November 2011 was actually a major refit (cost EUR 90 million). During this extensive drydock stay, 2 new half-deck extensions were added with 111 new cabins and balconies (for a total of 120 staterooms), increasing ship's weight from 53000 to 56000 GT tons.
Romantica debuted as "neoRomantica" in March 2012. Public rooms decorations feature Carrara Marble and rare woods. Ship's decks are named Monte Carlo, Madrid, Vienna, Verona, Paris, London, Copenhagen, Amsterdam - after the most famous European cities.
Costa deployed neoRomantica to Asia in 2017, for roundtrips from homeport Shanghai (Wusongkou International Cruise Terminal). The new itinerary program started on April 24, 2017. During winter 2016-2017, the ship offered Indian Ocean itineraries (13-day roundtrips) to Mauritius, Seychelles and Madagascar leaving from Mauritius (Port Louis). The list of other Costa Asia ships in 2017 also included Atlantica (since 2013), Fortuna (since 2016), Serena (since 2015) and Victoria (since 2012).
On February 6, 2018, while berthed in Hong Kong, the cruise ship hosted a Jessica Minh Anh fashion show. The famous Vietnamese show producer and supermodel held the special event in the evening, on the sundeck.
Costa neoRomantica - user reviews and comments
Photos of Costa neoRomanticaAdd Photo
Costa neoRomantica ship related cruise news
See here how the Costa neoRomantica ship drifts away from port at Mahé, Seychelles. Starting in April 2017, the ship was based...September 15, 2017
- Cruise Industry
Costa Cruises announced it is launching new itineraries in Asia for 2017-2018 winter season. With its focus on creating innovative vacation options...July 4, 2017
- show more news
Other Costa Cruises cruise ships
Costa neoRomantica Itineraries
The below listed Costa neoRomantica cruise prices on itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Costa Cruises fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|Date||Cruise Name||Departure Port||Price from|
|2020 Apr 29||7 days, round-trip Far East From Yokohama||Yokohama||$1169|
|2020 May 06||5 days, round-trip Far East From Yokohama||Yokohama||$629|
|2020 May 06||11 days, round-trip Far East From Yokohama||Yokohama||$1469|
|2020 May 11||6 days, round-trip Far East From Yokohama||Yokohama||$739|
|2020 May 11||12 days, round-trip Far East From Yokohama||Yokohama||$1469|
|2020 May 17||6 days, round-trip Far East From Yokohama||Yokohama||$789|
|2020 May 17||11 days, round-trip Far East From Yokohama||Yokohama||$1369|
|2020 May 23||5 days, round-trip Far East From Yokohama||Yokohama||$629|
|2020 May 23||10 days, round-trip Far East From Yokohama||Yokohama||$1219|
|2020 May 28||5 days, round-trip Far East From Yokohama||Yokohama||$629|
|2020 May 28||10 days, round-trip Far East From Yokohama||Yokohama||$1219|
|2020 Jun 02||5 days, round-trip Far East From Yokohama||Yokohama||$629|
|2020 Jun 02||10 days, one-way from Yokohama to Fukuoka||Yokohama||$1169|
|2020 Jun 07||5 days, one-way from Yokohama to Fukuoka||Yokohama||$589|
|2020 Jul 14||5 days, round-trip Far East From Fukuoka||Fukuoka||$709|
|2020 Jul 19||4 days, round-trip Far East From Fukuoka||Fukuoka||$559|
|2020 Jul 23||4 days, round-trip Far East From Fukuoka||Fukuoka||$559|
|2020 Jul 27||5 days, round-trip Far East From Fukuoka||Fukuoka||$709|
|2020 Aug 01||7 days, round-trip Far East From Fukuoka||Fukuoka||$969|
|2020 Aug 08||5 days, round-trip Far East From Fukuoka||Fukuoka||$679|
|2020 Aug 13||5 days, round-trip Far East From Fukuoka||Fukuoka||$679|
|2020 Aug 18||4 days, round-trip Far East From Fukuoka||Fukuoka||$559|
|2020 Aug 22||5 days, round-trip Far East From Fukuoka||Fukuoka||$679|
Costa neoRomantica User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review