Kapitan Chadaev icebreaker Review and Specifications
Specifications of Kapitan Chadaev icebreaker
|Year built||1978 / Age : 41|
|Builder||Wаrtsilа Marine (Helsinki, Finland)|
|Class||Russian river icebreaker|
|Speed||13 kn / 24 kph / 15 mph|
|Length (LOA)||78 m / 256 ft|
|Beam (width)||17 m / 56 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||1600 gt|
Review of Kapitan Chadaev icebreaker
MS Kapitan Chadaev ("ледокол Капитан Чадаев") is an icebreaking vessel is owned and operated by Rosmorport. “Rosmorport” is a Russian FSUE (“Federal State Unitary Enterprise”) created in 2012 by the order of the Russian Federation’s Ministry of Transport.
One of the Russian river icebreaker ships, Kapitan Chadaev is named after the famous N. I. Chadaev (1884-1965). From 1929, he was captain of the steam схип "Stepan Razin". During the 1935 navigation, due to technical improvements by mechanic N. V. Banatov and new methods of towing was conducted the first part of 6 oil barges carrying up to 34 tons each. In the future, the composition of the tow was adjusted to 48 thousand tons. Chadaev was awarded "Order of Lenin".
- Initially and until 2006, the Chadaev ship belonged to JSC "Insurance Company" Volga Shipping Company, Togliatti, and carried out ice-breaking operations on Volga River and the Caspian Sea.
- From 29 to 31 January 2013, together with icebreaker Dikson assisted in the White Sea the Indian Navy's submarine "Sindurakshak".
- On September 15, 2015, Chadaev took part in large-scale rescue exercises with the use of forces of the Russian Emergencies Ministry. As part of the exercises were practiced different rescue techniques in the Arctic zone.
Rosmorport’s Kapitan Chadaev itinerary program offers sailings in the White Sea, as well as in Russia’s Arctic Ocean waters with departures from home-port Astrakhan (on Volga River).
Kapitan Chadaev icebreaker vessel details
This vessel belongs to a series of all 6 "Kapitan Chechkin"-class (project 1105) Russian river icebreakers. Its sisters (with the same design) are the Kapitan-named ships Chechkin, Plakhin, Bukaev, Krutov, Zarubin.
Project 1105 icebreakers are of the type "river-sea", capable to operate in ice up to 1 meter thick. They are all equipped with a towing hook and intended for use at seaports in the south, west, and north of Russia. These icebreakers operate on Volga River, Neva River, Azov Sea and Baltic Sea (Gulf of Finland).
- The vessel has 1 dining room, Sauna, no swimming pool, no elevator, 1 helipad.
- Max Draught: 3,5 m
- Displacement tonnage: 2240 tons
- DWT Deadweight tonnage: 262 tons
- ice-breaking capacity 1 m
- Power output: 4720 kW
Note: In the case of poor AIS coverage, tracking the vessel's current location will be impossible. You can see the CruiseMapper's list of all icebreakers and ice-breaking research ships in the "itinerary" section of our Icebreakers hub. All states and their fleets are listed there.