Ritz-Carlton Yacht Review and Specifications
Specifications of Ritz-Carlton Yacht
|Year built||2019 new ship|
|Builder||Barreras Shipyard (Vigo, Spain)|
|Building cost||EUR 190 million (USD 225 million)|
|Owner||The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company|
|Operator||The Ritz-Carlton Yacht Collection|
|Length (LOA)||190 m / 623 ft|
|Beam (width)||24 m / 79 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||26500 gt|
|Decks with cabins||5|
Review of Ritz-Carlton Yacht
Launched in 2019, Ritz-Carlton Yacht (official name to be revealed soon) is the first of all three top-luxury expedition cruise ships owned by Marriott International Inc (via Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company) and operated by Ritz-Carlton Yacht Collection (cruise line).
History - construction and ownership
Ritz-Carlton Cruises (officially "Ritz-Carlton Yacht Collection", based in Miami USA / Coconut Grove) is one of the industry's ultra-luxury cruise brands. This new cruise company is owned by Marriott International Inc. On June 22, 2017, the 5-star hotel brand announced its private luxury cruise line starting operations in 2019. The fleet consists of 3 newbuild vessels, with an option to expand to 5 yachts. The Yacht Collection venture company was created by Douglas Prothero (former CEO and founder of Canadian Maritime Group) and Lars Clasen (former President of AIDA Cruises).
The 26,500-ton, 298-passenger Ritz-Carlton Yacht boasts with unique cruise itineraries around the world and modern, thoughtfully designed interiors.
Cruise itinerary program
On February 1, 2020, the Ritz-Carlton Yacht departs on a 4-day cruise from Fort Lauderdale FL. Previously, the company announced starting operations in November 2019. It still plans to take delivery of its first boat in 2019-Q4, but set the new date to coincide with "Super Bowl LIV" at Dolphins Stadium (Miami FL). The debut cruise, that visits Key West and Bimini, kicks off a Caribbean program which extends through March 28, when the company has scheduled a 12-day transatlantic crossing out of Barbados to Lisbon.
The first Mediterranean cruise of Ritz-Carlton is an 8-day trip from Lisbon visiting Gibraltar, Valencia, Malaga, Ibiza, Palma de Mallorca. The 298-guest ship then spends time in the Mediterranean through the end of June. On July 5 it's scheduled for a 9-day voyage from Bordeaux and visiting the French ports Belle Ile, St Malo, Honfleur; St. Peter Port in Channel Islands; and finishing in London UK. From there, the cruise ship sails northern Europe prior to transiting from Iceland to Halifax, starting September 12. It sails Canada-New England itineraries, starting with a 7-day trip from Halifax. On October 27, the ship repositions to Caribbean again with a 9-day voyage from Boston to Nassau.
The 623 ft / 190 m long vessel is designed (by Tillberg Design, Sweden) as "mega yacht - small cruise ship" hybrid. The Ritz-Carlton custom-built yacht (dubbed "anti cruise ship") has as staterooms 149 balcony suites (with tall ceilings) including two Duplex Suites. The fore-located Owner Suites are the largest cabins, featuring upper suite living area, floor-ceiling windows (for 270-degree views) and huge wraparound balcony (with private plunge pool).
The accommodations also include 27 Signature Suites, 18 Grand Suites, 12 Loft Suites and 90 Terrace Suites. The Lofts are duplexes, with bedrooms on their lower level, built so that the vessel could be all-balcony. Terrace Suites are easily combined to reduce the number of accommodations from 149 to 107 for Ritz-Carlton's charters.
Suite categories include:
- Owners Suite (1098 ft2 / 102 m2 plus 592 ft2 / 55 m2 balcony)
- View Suite (624 ft2 / 58 m2 plus 97 ft2 / 9 m2 balcony)
- Loft Suite (700 ft2 / 65 m2 plus 76 ft2 / 7 m2 balcony)
- Grand Suite (635 ft2 / 59 m2 plus 108 ft2 / 10 m2 balcony)
- Signature Mid Suite / Signature Suite (474 ft2 / 44 m2 plus 101 ft2 / 9 m2 balcony)
- Terrace Mid Suite / Terrace Suite (312 ft2 / 29 m2 plus 67 ft2 / 6 m2 balcony).
Suite amenities include:
- Private balcony overlooking the ocean
- Dedicated Personal Assistant
- Luxury queen bed sleep system, bed and bath linens
- Luxury bath amenities, individual robe and slippers
- Hypoallergenic pillows, upon request
- Double vanity bathrooms
- Vanity mirror, Hair dryer, In-suite safe
- 24-hour in-suite dining
- Digital flat screen smart television
- State of the art espresso machine, complimentary coffee and teas
- Choice of complimentary chilled bottle of wine or Champagne upon arrival
- In-suite refrigerator, stocked with complimentary water, juices, soft drinks and craft beers
- Complimentary WiFi.
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
Ritz-Carlton Yacht features ultra-premium dining. Intimate dining and drinking venues are with small seating capacity and opened around the clock (no assigned seats or fixed dining times). Passengers can eat whenever they want, rather than the traditional set meal times which are customary on other cruises.
Follows the complete list of Ritz-Carlton Yacht restaurants and food bars.
- Aqua Restaurant by celebrity chef Sven Elverfeld (3 Michelin stars) who presides over Ritz-Carlton's "Aqua" restaurant in Wolfsburg, Germany (a la carte, additional fee applied, reservations required);
- Main Dining Room (seating 140, designed with plenty of nooks, to look like ten small restaurants);
- Asian Fusion Restaurant;
- Poolside Grill;
- Seafood Grill.
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
Ritz-Carlton Yacht offers destination-based activities (onboard performances by local artists, musicians), itinerary-based gourmet cuisine (including dishes prepared by local chefs). Onboard entertainment includes live performances (jazz and classical) and professional (expert-led) lectures and media presentations. During each voyage, local talent (artists, guest lecturers or chefs) join for various entertainment throughout the trip. Wi-Fi is free.
Due to fire and safety regulations, most of the onboard spaces are sectioned off and subdivided, with walls dividing restaurants from lounges and bars. Ritz-Carlton ships pioneer an open floorplan concept (“fluid and transparent”) designed to “break down the traditional boundaries between dining and drinking areas".
Follows the complete list of Ritz-Carlton Yacht lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- The Champagne Bar is an intimate cocktail lounge serving top labels from around the world along with premium Champagnes with caviar pairings.
- The Humidor is an intimate lounge with fine, hand-rolled cigars and premium cognacs.
- Other social spaces include the Observation Lounge and the Living Room (the arrival space onboard), serving as a cafe and library. No show lounge or casino are available onboard.
- Premium amenities (such as Ritz-Carlton Spa). The spa is operated by Ritz-Carlton and has indoor/outdoor treatment rooms, each of them with its own private balcony. Guests are able to pick if they wish a treatment inside or out. There is also a medical wellness center, full-service Beauty Lounge, and a Gentleman’s Grooming Salon. The fitness is an indoor/outdoor spot with equipment inside, yoga and relaxation spaces outside.
- Ritz-Kids is ship's Kids Club featuring an educational and fun program which encourages children to explore the world. Enhanced services are available during summer months and holidays.
- The Boutique is selling exclusive sportswear, branded apparel, jewelry, leather goods. In select ports, guests' shopping experience is enhanced by collaborations with local artisans coming onboard to showcase their offerings.
- The ship has whirlpools, as well as deep and shallow pools. An infinity-style pool is located aft, with a current within for exercise.
- The Ritz-Carlton ship features a marina-style watersports platform (aft-location), providing direct access to the water. It is also used for open-air parties and events. A selection of water toys are available for guests to use.
- Glass doors open to the sweeping staircase leading to the Lido / pool deck (located aft / on the ship's stern). At the marina are launched the yacht's seakayaks and paddleboards. The connection to the outdoors continues with an indoor/outdoor solarium which looks more like a cosy lounge than the usual ship solarium.
- There is an open-air deck space (Marina Bar) with 270-degree panoramic views and covered by a retractable glass roof. It is operated as al fresco dining lounge by day and as a disco nightclub in the evening. The venue serves a variety of dishes prepared a la minute.
- Above the Sun Deck there is a helipad. The ship also carries its own helicopter and a speedboat.
Ritz-Carlton Yacht wiki
Ritz-Carlton's shipbuilder is Astilleros Barreras Shipyard (Vigo Spain). Vessel's keel-laying ceremony was held on January 11, 2018. It was attended by Jose Garcia Costas (shipyard's Chairman), Fredrik Johannson (Tillberg Design's owner), Timthoy Grisius (Virgin's global real estate officer), Douglas Prothero (Ritz-Carlton Cruises' managing director).
On October 9, 2018, the vessel was floated out of drydock and moved to a shipyard pier for final outfitting.
- The yacht is powered by MAN marine diesel engines, as opposed to the new trend of LNG-powered passenger ships. The diesel electric propulsion is with common rail fuel injection, providing better fuel efficiency at various speeds. Ship's propulsion consists of two Azipods (by ABB). Azipod D are azymuth thrusters ideal for smaller sized vessels as they require lower installed power. Unit's electric drive motor is installed in the pod and submerged outside the hull, thus allowing more space for passenger cabins. The pattended Azipod system also produces less vibration. The thrusters have ability to turn 360 degrees which increases the ship's maneuverability and allows access to ports without the need of tugboat assistance.
- The Azipods are part of ABB's medium voltage power plant. It also includes sensors producing realtime data that can be tracked from land-based facilities operated by by both ABB Operations Centers and the customer. The Azipod thruster is approx 10% more fuel-efficient in comparison to shaft line propulsion systems. This results in significant reduction of the vessel's operating costs and emissions. The lack of traditional rudders also allows the hull's hydrodynamics to be optimized.
- "ABB Ability" is a remote diagnostic system using Microsoft Azure (cloud computing). It monitors vessel's electrical systems and is connected 24-7 to ABB's infrastructure ashore. The system monitors all linked devices and sends real-time data analytics for maintenance (predictive and planned) and online support.
- In late-September 2018, ABB contracted Raytheon Anschutz (Singapore-based manufacturer) to provide ship's Integrated Navigation System "Synapsis NX" (bridge and navigation equipment). Synapsis NX includes autopilot, track control, radars, navigation sensors, communications, multifunctional navigation workstations (with software).
Ritz-Carlton Yacht - user reviews and comments
Photos of Ritz-Carlton YachtAdd Photo
Ritz-Carlton Yacht ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
The first of 3 Ritz-Carlton Yacht Collection ships touched the water for the first time on Tuesday, October 9, at an official float out ceremony at...October 11, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Two of the newest names in cruise industry soon unveiled details of their new products. Ritz Carlton Cruises initially announced its new 3-ship...March 17, 2018
- show more news