ms Nieuw Ryndam Review and Specifications
Specifications of ms Nieuw Ryndam
|Year built||2021 new ship|
|Builder||Fincantieri (Marghera, Italy)|
|Building cost||USD 520 million (EUR 480 million)|
|Owner||Carnival Corporation & PLC|
|Operator||Holland America Line|
|Speed||22 kn / 41 kph / 25 mph|
|Length (LOA)||297 m / 974 ft|
|Beam (width)||34 m / 112 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||99800 gt|
|Passengers||2668 - 3210|
|Decks with cabins||8|
|Sister-ships||MS Koningsdam, MS Nieuw Statendam|
Review of ms Nieuw Ryndam
MS Nieuw Ryndam cruise ship is the third vessel in the Holland America fleet from company's Pinnacle-Class liners. Its sisterships are the fleetmates Koningsdam (2016) and Nieuw Statendam (2018). The new Ryndam is HAL's 17th vessel built by Fincantieri. Pinnacle-Class are the newest and largest liners in HAL's fleet.
History - construction and ownership
Holland America Line (HAL) is a Seattle-based cruise company owned by Carnival Corporation (shipowner). Between 1873-1989, HAL was a Dutch cargo and passenger shipping company operating regular Transatlantic crossings between Holland and the Americas. HAL was founded in 1873 as "Dutch-American Steamship Company" headquartered in Rotterdam Netherlands. In 1989, HAL was acquired by Carnival Corporation for around EUR 530 million. Among the company's assets are the Westmark hotel chain (Alaska-Yukon), Worldwide Shore Services (warehouses-logistics) and Half Moon Cay (Caribbean private island).
The 3210-passenger cruise ship Nieuw Ryndam is scheduled for delivery in May 2021. Vessel's name was announced on April 7, 2019. The name honors company's first Ryndam ship, part of the fleet between 1901-1929. The ocean liner was originally named Rijndam - until 1923 when it received the English "Ryndam". In 1927, Ryndam I became HAL's first ship with a world cruise, although the liner was chartered as a floating school for that voyage. The 2nd (Ryndam II) liner served between 1951-1973. The 3rd (Ryndam, built 1994) was sold to the sisterbrand P&O Australia in 2015 and currently operated as Pacific Aria.
Cruise itinerary program
MS Nieuw Ryndam itinerary program is to be announced on a later date.
Vessel's designers are two world-renown designer companies. The cruise ship design is by Y&S ("Yran & Storbraaten” /based in Norway) and "Tihany Design” (based in New York USA). Passenger cabins sizes vary from 16 m2 (Interior) to 35 m2 (Neptune Suite /aka premium balcony) and 90 m2 (Penthouse /fka Pinnacle Suite).
Ship's largest cabins are Pinnacle Suites (970 ft2). MS Nieuw Ryndam boasts over 1,300 guest accommodations which received upgrades in both function and aesthetics. Four distinct color schemes identify the spa, suite, verandah, ocean-view and inside categories. Passengers enjoy the redesigned headboards with electrical and USB outlets on both sides of the bed, as well as stone tops on nightstands and decks, improved lighting and more storage.
The ship offers 27 handicap cabins. The total number of cabins is 1331 (of which 164 Suites, 748 Balcony, 147 Oceanview, 280 Inside rooms) in 35 cabin grades.
"Club Orange" program provides exclusive amenities to Suite passengers booked in categories Neptune and Pinnacle. Bonus perks by this program include:
- priority services (check-in, disembarkation, tendering, dining reservations)
- 24-hour concierge service (assistance, information, reservations)
- exclusive dining venue (serving complimentary Pinnacle Grill breakfast and Dining Room dinner, plus exclusive dishes)
- dedicated Concierge Desk (Guest Services and Tours)
- room service (a la carte breakfast menu with complimentary gourmet dishes - including smoked salmon, steak and eggs)
- sparkling wine (embarkation day), Club Orange tote bag, premium bathrobes (cabin use, available for monogramming and purchasing).
- Club Orange Restaurant is the former "Culinary Arts Center".
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
Ship's 2-level main restaurant venue serves open-seating breakfast and lunch, as well as a blend of flexible and set-seating restaurant-style meals at dinner. Breakfast hours in the MDR vary but start as early as 7:00 a.m. on port days and 8:00 a.m. on sea days, wrapping up by 9:30 a.m. Breakfast fare includes bread, cereals, French toast, blueberry pancakes, corned beef hash, egg dishes and yogurt parfaits. Portions are on the smaller side, so better opt for a second pastry. Lunch in the MDR is typically limited to an hour per day (from noon to 1:00 p.m. on sea days; closed when the ship is in port for an entire day). If you see a line of guests waiting to be seated, do not be deterred as the line moves fast and the tables are plenty. Lunch fare includes sandwiches, soups, light salads, fish and heartier entrees.
Holland America is famous for its exceptional dining experiences on every voyage, but the line’s newest ships ms Koningsdam and ms Nieuw Statendam boast even more culinary options. Dining Room is a 2-deck high restaurant featuring floor-ceiling windows, curved architectural pillars (accentuating the high ceiling), modern glass lighting, custom-made furnishings. Restaurant's centerpiece is a copper sheath surrounding the 2-story wine tower showcasing an impressive premium wine selection. On the menu are HAL's classic selections, signature dishes, regionally inspired cuisine, Culinary Council recipes from the world-renowned chefs who compose the group, including Council Chairman and Master Chef Rudi Sodamin and international chefs David Burke, Elizabeth Falkner, Jacques Torres, Jonnie Boer and Mark Best.
In addition to Dining Room Restaurant, Nieuw Ryndam offers fine dining in alternative restaurants, including redesigned Lido Market (with themed food stations) new French seafood brasserie Rudi’s Sel de Mer, new suite-exclusive experience in Club Orange Restaurant; Canaletto (Italian), Tamarind (Asian) and Pinnacle Grill.
Holland America Line (HAL) is partnering with microgreen specialist Koppert Cress. The aim of the project is to grow fresh ingredients onboard the newbuilds of the line, ms Koningsdam and ms Nieuw Statendam. The Koppert Cress partnership gives guests the chance to indulge in fresh microgreens grown onboard in ship's Culinary Arts Center and enjoy a farm-to-table-style dinner menu. The ingredients are on display in a glass-enclosed growing area in the Culinary Arts Center, which also serves as a dinner venue.
The wine-blending purpose-built room BLEND by Chateau Ste. Michelle seats up to 10 guests, who can learn about, taste wine and mix up to five wines thus creating their unique wine blends.
Follows the complete list of ms Nieuw Ryndam restaurants and food bars.
- Pinnacle Grill (reservations-only seafood/steakhouse restaurant with fine wines selection; free for passengers under 12 yo). The venue transforms into “De Librije” (US$69-89) from time to time, inspired by the land-based Dutch restaurant De Librije with two Michelin stars. A wine tasting is included with the meal (four 2 oz. pours). A wine pairing is also available for an additional US$20 per person (four 5 oz. pours).
- Rudi’s Sel De Mer is dinner-only specialty restaurant serving French seafood. In comparison to Koningsdam's original Sel De Mer (upgraded during drydock 2018), the restaurant on Nieuw Statendam and Nieuw Ryndam is by design larger (54 seats) but retains the curving shape and walnut wood-made, accordion-like column structure. The back wall is decorated with porcelain plates, all of which decorated with Chef Rudi’s Food Faces culinary pop art (via a partnership with Bernardaud - French porcelain masters). The food plates are arranged from classic ingredients (caviar, fruits, root vegetables, peppers, etc). In January 2018, HAL released the coffee table book "Food Faces" - available for purchase on the ship. Signature dishes in the a la carte menu include Rudi’s Seafood Tower, Fruits de Mer, Broiled Lobster Tail, Whole Dover Sole Meuniere, Clams au Beurre, Duck Cassoulet, Steak Tartare, Steak Frites, Souffle au Fromage, Salt Crust Baked Branzino. Signature desserts include Rudi’s Face to Face Chocolate, Rudi’s Souffle, Crepes Suzette, Profiteroles with Hot Chocolate Sauce, Apple Tarte Tatin, Artisanal French Cheese Plate.
- The Dining Room (aft Dining Room; features open seating Breakfast and Lunch, two Dinner options – 2 fixed seatings or “Any Time” dining between 5:15 p.m. - 9 p.m.)
- Lido Market (386-seat complimentary buffet restaurant; offers self-service Breakfast 6:00 a.m. -11 a.m., Lunch 11:30 p.m. - 2 p.m., Afternoon Tea, and Dinner 5:30 p.m. - 8 p.m.)
- Canaletto Restaurant (Lido Restaurant annex, operates as an Italian restaurant for Dinner, reservations required)
- Tamarind (Asiaspecialityty restaurant; reservations-only) - Tamarind restaurant on Nieuw Statendam is also expanded (compared to Koningsdam) by adding a new al-fresco (outdoor) dining area.
- Dive-In (complimentary fast-food bar)
- New York Deli (fast-food bar)
- Gelato (ice-cream parlor)
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
The World Stage is ship's main show (theater) lounge, featuring 270-degree LED screens for multiple stage configurations. Lido Pool (one of ship's 2 swimming pools) has an outdoor movie screen, 3 whirlpools and 2 levels of cushioned lounge chairs. The central pool area (Magrodome) is on 2 levels to create glass-enclosed space. The lower level has traditional poolside elements, while the mezzanine level offers more seating, a huge LED screen for poolside movies, Deli and Pizza (complimentary fast-food bars).
Onboard entertainment is taken to a new level with the Music Walk area featuring all music genres. Lincoln Center Stage is a collaboration with "Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts" featuring classical music with a quintet combining piano and strings. Additionally, the 2-tier Queen's Lounge features musical performances including the famous B.B. King's Blues experience and the biggest dance floor on Nieuw Statendam.
Other amenities include: complimentary 24-Hour Room-Service, supervised Kids Program ("Club Hal"), cruise ship weddings, Internet/WiFi access, Laundry Rooms (Laundromats). Ship's laundry rooms are not self-service (no passenger-use laundrettes). Laundry services are offered via hotel staff and at an additional charge.
Follows the complete list of ms Nieuw Ryndam lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Atrium (3-deck midship area with open-floor design and live performances). The Atrium features a stainless-steel sculpture emulating the sense of being inside and encircled by a musical instrument. The experience changes as passengers move around and through it, with no two perspectives being the same. The atrium is capped by Skylight (glass roof) which serves as the backdrop for HD video projections or live view of the stars.
- Stuyvesant Room (multi-purpose, used for cards playing, group meetings, presentations, “Club HAL” kids program)
- World Stage (theatre/main show lounge; also serves Holland America’s enrichment program (via a partnership with BBC Earth)
- Queen’s Lounge (2-tiered grand ballroom; also hosts HAL’s BB King’s Blues Club)
- Digital Workshop (powered by MS Windows)
- Photo Gallery & Shop; Art Gallery
- Shore Excursions Desk; 4 Meeting Rooms
- Culinary Arts Centre (offers culinary classes and cooking shows presented in demonstration kitchens)
- Signature Shops (boutiques for duty-free tobaccos and liquor, perfumes, watches, clothing, HAL logo merchandise, souvenirs); Marabella Luxury Shop; Dive-in (scuba and diving equipment)
- Piano Bar; Ocean Bar (Atrium bar and lounge, with dance floor and stage for live performances)
- Billboard Onboard (sing-along bar with live music performances)
- Lincoln Center Stage (partnership with NYC “Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts”; dedicated to classical music)
- BLEND (glass-enclosed winery)
- Casino (served by Casino Bar and Sports Bar)
- Grand Dutch Cafe (Dutch-themed beverages and snacks)
- Panorama Bar
- Explorations Cafe (specialty coffee bar and patisserie; also serves as ship’s Library and Online Centre/Internet computers room)
- Explorer’s Lounge & Bar (lounge with bar; classical concert performances)
- Neptune Lounge (club venue for Deluxe Suite and Pinnacle guests only)
- Fitness Center (gym with separate Aerobics Room); 5 jacuzzis
- Greenhouse Spa & Salon; Lido Pool area, served by Lido Bar and Terrace Grill; Sea View Pool area served by Sea View Bar; The Retreat (adults-only)
- Crow’s Nest (observation lounge; bar and dance floor; becomes disco at night)
- Sport Court (basketball, volleyball, soccer); Sun Deck; Promenade Deck, Walking/Jogging Track
- Club HAL (kids lounge, complimentary youth programming)
- The Loft (teens club lounge area, with Video Games Arcade, computers, PlayStations; teen disco)
- Rolling Stone Rock Room is a new venue (classic rock club via a partnership with Rolling Stone Magazine) where are offered live 5-piece band performances. Rolling Stone Rock Room is part of Music Walk area (Plaza Deck 2), also housing HAL's popular music-themed venues BB King’s Blues Club, Billboard Onboard, and Lincoln Center Stage.
ms Nieuw Ryndam - user reviews and comments
Photos of ms Nieuw RyndamAdd Photo
ms Nieuw Ryndam ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
The keel-laying ceremony for the new cruise ship ms Nieuw Ryndam which Fincantieri is currently building for the shipowner Carnival Corporation (to...November 22, 2019
- Cruise Industry
Holland America reached a major milestone in the building of their next Pinnacle Class ship, ms Nieuw Ryndam, with the successful launch of the ship...October 13, 2019
- Cruise Industry
Holland America Line announced that its next Pinnacle-Class liner will be named Nieuw Ryndam. The newbuild is scheduled for delivery in May...April 8, 2019
- Cruise Industry
The steel cutting ceremony for the 3rd ship that Fincantieri is building for Holland America took place on Wednesday, March 13, at the shipyard in...March 14, 2019
- show more news
Other Holland America cruise ships
ms Nieuw Ryndam Wiki
In late-January 2017, the shipowner Carnival Corporation announced 2 more shipbuilding orders. The new liners were ordered for the brands Princess Cruises (Royal-class / Discovery Princess) and Holland America Line (Pinnacle-class / Nieuw Ryndam). Carnival signed an MoA (memorandum of agreement) with the shipbuilder Fincantieri to construct both vessels, with scheduled deliveries in 2021 (Nieuw Ryndam for HAL, at Marghera yard) and 2022 (Discovery Princess, at Monfalcone yard). By the time when both shipbuilding contracts were finalized (February 2017), Carnival Corporation had a total of 19 new ships scheduled for deliveries between 2017-2022.
In 2019, Fincantieri had a total of 96 cruise vessels (built between 1990-2019) plus another 50 units on order or under construction. HAL's other "nieuw" named vessels are Nieuw Statendam (2018 - the 6th "Statendam" since company’s establishment in 1898) and Nieuw Amsterdam (2010 - the 4th Amsterdam-named HAL liner). The new Ryndam is the 14th cruise liner built by Fincantieri Marghera for Holland America.
The vessel (Fincantieri Marghera Yard number tba) is powered by four MAK marine diesel engines (model 12V43C) with combined power output 50,4 MW. The propulsion system is based on two ABB Azipods (azimuth thrusters) with combined output 28 MW.
Vessel's steel-cutting ceremony (hull number 6278) was held on March 13, 2019, at Fincantieri’s yard in Marghera (near Venice). On October 3, 2019, at Fincantieri's Palermo Shipyard (Sicily) was launched the vessel's forward lower section. The ceremony was led by godmother (Madrina) Giuseppa Catalano who released a bottle of Champagne which smashed into the hull. This hull section (aka troncone) has length 82 m (269 ft), width 35 m (115 ft) and weighs 4400 tons. Following the launch, the section towed from Palermo and to Marghera, where the cruise liner is actually assembled. At Fincantieri’s Marghera Shipyard were also build other hull and superstructure sections.
On November 21, 2019, at Marghera Shipyard was held the vessel's keel-laying ceremony during which was placed the first hull block (14 m long, 34 m wide, weight 500 tons) part of the midship section.
ms Nieuw Ryndam User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review