ms Prinsendam Review and Specifications
Specifications of ms Prinsendam
|Year built||1988 / Age : 30|
|Builder||Wartsila Marine Perno Shipyard (Turku, Finland)|
|Building cost||USD 160 million|
|Owner||Carnival Corporation & PLC|
|Operator||Holland America Line|
|Speed||22 kn / 41 kph / 25 mph|
|Length (LOA)||204 m / 669 ft|
|Beam (width)||29 m / 95 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||39051 gt|
|Passengers||838 - 1006|
|Decks with cabins||8|
|Christened by||James Stewart|
Current itinerary of ms Prinsendam
ms Prinsendam current cruise is 14 days, one-way from Amsterdam to Civitavecchia. Prices start from USD 2799 (double occupancy rates). The itinerary starts on 16 Sep, 2018 and ends on 30 Sep, 2018.
|Date / Time||Port|
|16 Sep||Departing from Amsterdam, Holland|
|17 Sep 08:00 - 15:00||Vlissingen, Holland|
|17 Sep 20:00 - 17 Sep||Antwerp, Belgium|
|19 Sep 18:00 - 19 Sep||Rouen, France|
|22 Sep 08:00 - 18:00||La Rochelle, France|
|23 Sep 08:00 - 23 Sep||Bordeaux, France|
|26 Sep 08:00 - 18:00||Lisbon, Portugal|
|27 Sep 13:00 - 18:00||Gibraltar, UK|
|28 Sep 08:00 - 17:00||Cartagena, Spain|
|30 Sep||Arriving in Civitavecchia, Rome, Italy|
Review of ms Prinsendam
Launched in 1988, ms Prinsendam cruise ship is the smallest Holland America liner. Nicknamed “Elegant Explorer”, the vessel was initially built for Royal Viking Line (defunct) under the name "Royal Viking Sun". It was purchased and operated by Cunard Line until 1998 (as Royal Viking Sun), then was transferred to Seabourn Cruises (1999-2002 under the name “Seabourn Sun”) and joined Holland America in 2002.
NEWS: In July 2018, the liner was sold to Phoenix Reisen, starting operations for the German cruise company on July 1, 2019, under the new name "MS Amera". Prinsendam's cruise schedule is assimilated by the fleetmates Rotterdam, Volendam and Veendam.
History - construction and ownership
Holland America Line (HAL) is a Seattle-based cruise company owned by Carnival Corporation (shipowner). Between 1873-1989, HAL was a Dutch cargo and passenger shipping company operating regular Transatlantic crossings between Holland and the Americas. HAL was founded in 1873 as "Dutch-American Steamship Company" headquartered in Rotterdam Netherlands. In 1989, HAL was acquired by Carnival Corporation for around EUR 530 million. Among company's assets are the Westmark hotel chain (Alaska-Yukon), Worldwide Shore Services (warehouses-logistics) and Half Moon Cay (Caribbean private island).
The 39,051-ton, 749-passenger cruise ship ms Prinsendam is the vessel to choose if far-away destinations, longer-than-usual routes and excellent value for money are major factors in selecting a cruise ship, especially because Holland America cruise line has continued to upgrade and refit Prinsendam since acquiring the vessel from Seabourn in 2002. After the latest main upgrades, the cruise liner now carries on more Holland America traditions. Prinsendam's got the line's signature Explorations Cafe by the New York Times, a wonderful reading room and a library. The Pinnacle Grill, Holland America's alternative dining venue that serves Northwest-inspired cuisine, has a fresh look and completely new menus. All the rooms onboard the Prinsendam cruise ship were refreshed with new carpets. And the vessel, that has never been marketed as a family-friendly member of the HAL fleet, now manages the Club HAL children program (however there is no dedicated amenity and counselors are only onboard during holidays when multi-generational groups are probably to be traveling).
Cruise itinerary program
MS Prinsendam itinerary program is based on quite affordable World Cruises to various destinations around the world.
MS Prinsendam has a total of 419 cabins (of which 67 Suites, 99 Balcony, 31 Inside, 6 Single rooms) in 23 grades. Most ms Prinsendam staterooms are 155-205-sq.foot oceanview rooms (222). 10 are the wheelchair accessible rooms. The largest aboard ms Prinsendam are the Pinnacle Suites (860 ft2).
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
La Fontaine, Prinsendam's main dining room, has lovely cut glass chandeliers and wraparound windows which offer exciting sea views. Dinner was once set-seating experience, but the "As You Wish" HAL program changed things, introducing flexible and set meal times. The Lido Restaurant works well for breakfast, lunch and casual dinner with its inside tables, outside deck and a cadre of stewards who refill drinks and carry trays. Breakfast specials include biscuits and gravy, a breakfast burrito or Dutch style apple pancakes. At lunch, freshly made sandwiches, cooked-to-order entrees or individual pizzas are on tap, as well as steam-tray offerings. There are also vegetarian dishes at lunch and dinner. The burger thing is done by Terrace Grill, also offering chicken sandwiches, French fries and hot dogs. For a special meal, head to the Pinnacle Grill, HAL's alternative restaurant that offers Northwest specialties. Expect to pay $15 for lunch and $30 for dinner.
Follows the complete list of ms Prinsendam restaurants and food bars.
- Pinnacle Grill (130-seat reservations-only seafood/steakhouse restaurant with fine wines selection; free for passengers under 12 yo). The venue transforms into “An Evening at le Cirque” once per cruise via partnership with NYC “Le Cirque” French restaurant)
- Terrace Grill (self-service fast food bar)
- La Fontaine Restaurant (436-seat aft Dining Room; features open seating Breakfast and Lunch, two Dinner options – 2 fixed seatings or “Any Time” dining between 5:15 p.m. - 9 p.m.)
- Lido Restaurant (complimentary buffet restaurant; offers self-service Breakfast 6:00 a.m. -11 a.m., Lunch 11:30 p.m. - 2 p.m., Afternoon Tea, and Dinner 5:30 p.m. - 8 p.m.)
- Canaletto Restaurant (Lido Restaurant annex; operates as Italian restaurant for Dinner, reservations required).
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
The 424-seat Queen's Lounge is ms Prinsendam's main theater, featuring the latest in high-tech acoustics and lighting. Performances include classical concerts, song and dance shows. During the day, the theater is the venue for lectures and dance lessons. Shows are usually offered twice nightly. Programming is specially planned for lengthy sailings. Activities vary during the day, especially when the cruise ship is at sea. Passengers can play bingo or take rumba lessons. Speakers lecture about history, sociology, geology, environment and politics, and offer insights on the culture of ports of call. There are also digital camera and computer classes. Shore excursion offerings are abundant, but are geared mainly toward less active cruisers. Other amenities include: complimentary 24-Hour Room-Service, Supervised Kids Program ("Club Hal"), cruise ship weddings, Internet/WiFi Access, Laundry.
Follows the complete list of ms Prinsendam lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Atrium (3-deck high midship open-floor area with live performances)
- Stuyvesant Room (multi-purpose, used for cards playing, group meetings, presentations, “Club HAL” kids program)
- Half Moon Room (48-seat meeting room)
- The Showroom at Sea (450-seat theater/main show lounge; also serves Holland America’s enrichment program (via partnership with BBC Earth)
- Wajang Theatre & Culinary Arts Center (90-seat cinema)
- Oak Room (20-seat smoking lounge)
- Java Bar & Cafe (24-seat specialty tea and coffee bar, also serving as Sports Bar)
- Photo Gallery & Shop; Art Gallery
- Atrium Shops (boutiques for duty-free tobaccos and liquor, perfumes, watches, clothing, HAL logo merchandise, souvenirs)
- Ocean Bar (Atrium bar and lounge, with dance floor and stage for live performances)
- Casino (served by Casino Bar)
- Explorations Cafe (specialty coffee bar and patisserie; also serves as ship’s Library and Online Centre/Internet computers room)
- Explorer’s Lounge & Bar (lounge with bar; classical concert performances)
- Neptune Lounge (club venue for Deluxe Suite and Pinnacle guests only)
- The Wintergarden (Lido buffet seating area)
- Fitness Center (gym with separate Aerobics Room); 3 jacuzzis
- Greenhouse Spa & Salon; Lido Pool area, served by Lido Bar and Terrace Grill; Sea View Pool area served by Sea View Bar
- Crow’s Nest (observation lounge; bar and dance floor; becomes disco at night)
- (deck games courts) Croquet, Shuffleboard, Bocceball, Ring Toss; Putting Greens; Sun Deck; Promenade Deck, Walking/Jogging Track.
ms Prinsendam wiki
- Holland America Prinsendam cruise ship is the line's smallest and oldest, but also most special vessel. The vessel is of an unique Explorer-class, and its history includes the following former names, lines and operators: built as "ms Royal Viking Sun" (1988–1998, operated by Royal Viking Lines, and by Cunard Line - 1994-98), "ms Seabourn Sun" (for Seabourn Cruises, 1998–2002) and "ms Prinsendam (Holland America Line, in the HAL's fleets since 2002). Since its "Royal Viking" times, this 5-star rated cruise ship can brag with one of the industry's hiests loyal / repeat passenger indices.
- Another fact about the Prinsendam ship is that she has always been a "world explorer" - operating "Around The World" cruises since the distant 1988 - to this day.
- The ship's Maiden Voyage was on November 29, 1988 (after the dry-dock in Turku, Finland). The Prinsendam's first World Cruise was in 1989 (100-day, leaving from San Francisco CA). Because of its design, smaller size/capacity and the Around The World itinerary every year, ms Prinsendam is also known by the nickname "Elegant Explorer".
- Its Atrium area has a sculpture of a fish, turtles & dolphins climbing a glass cylinder. The onboard art collection also features a collection of Roman Amphorae (50-150 AD) and a marble sculpture of a Viking ship (abstract art).
- (Feb 1, 2007 accident) While sailing around South America, the ship was hit by two 12m (39ft) tall rogue waves. It happened near Cape Horn (Antarctica), resulting in 40 injured passengers.
ms Prinsendam - user reviews and comments
Photos of ms PrinsendamAdd Photo
ms Prinsendam ship related cruise news
Other Holland America cruise ships
ms Prinsendam Itineraries
The below listed ms Prinsendam cruise prices on itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Holland America fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|Date||Cruise Name||Departure Port||Price from|
|2018 May 05||28 days, one-way from Fort Lauderdale to Amsterdam||Fort Lauderdale|
|2018 May 19||28 days, one-way from Dover to Amsterdam||Dover|
|2018 May 19||14 days, one-way from Dover to Amsterdam||Dover|
|2018 Jun 02||28 days, round-trip Baltic, Kiel Canal & North Cape Explorer||Amsterdam|
|2018 Jun 16||30 days, round-trip North Cape & British Isles Explorer||Amsterdam|
|2018 Jun 16||14 days, round-trip North Cape & Gems Of Norway Explorer||Amsterdam|
|2018 Jun 30||36 days, round-trip British Isles & Arctic Circle Explorer||Amsterdam|
|2018 Jul 16||34 days, round-trip Arctic Circle, Kiel Canal & Baltic Explorer||Amsterdam|
|2018 Jul 16||34 days, round-trip Arctic Circle, Kiel Canal & Baltic Explorer||Amsterdam|
|2018 Jul 16||20 days, round-trip Spitsbergen & Arctic Circle Explorer||Amsterdam|
|2018 Aug 05||14 days, round-trip Kiel Canal & Baltic Explorer||Amsterdam|
|2018 Aug 19||14 days, round-trip Scottish Highlands & Icelandic Fjords Explorer||Amsterdam|
|2018 Sep 02||14 days, round-trip Irish & Scottish Explorer||Amsterdam||$1799|
|2018 Sep 16||14 days, one-way from Amsterdam to Civitavecchia||Amsterdam||$2799|
|2018 Sep 30||14 days, round-trip Holy Land & Ancient Kingdoms Explorer||Civitavecchia||$2099|
|2018 Oct 14||13 days, one-way from Civitavecchia to Lisbon||Civitavecchia||$2399|
|2018 Oct 28||12 days, one-way from Lisbon to Fort Lauderdale||Lisbon||$1199|
|2018 Nov 09||28 days, round-trip Amazon Explorer||Fort Lauderdale||$5999|
|2018 Dec 15||6 days, round-trip Eastern Caribbean||Fort Lauderdale||$599|
|2018 Dec 21||14 days, round-trip Caribbean Holiday||Fort Lauderdale||$3979|
|2019 Jan 04||80 days, round-trip Grand South America & Antarctica Voyage||Fort Lauderdale||$17199|
|2019 Jan 04||45 days, one-way from Fort Lauderdale to Buenos Aires||Fort Lauderdale||$10999|
|2019 Feb 18||35 days, one-way from Buenos Aires to Fort Lauderdale||Buenos Aires||$8599|
|2019 Mar 25||30 days, one-way from Fort Lauderdale to Civitavecchia||Fort Lauderdale||$4949|
|2019 Mar 25||18 days, one-way from Fort Lauderdale to Lisbon||Fort Lauderdale||$2799|
|2019 Apr 12||24 days, one-way from Lisbon to Dover||Lisbon||$4899|
|2019 Apr 12||12 days, one-way from Lisbon to Civitavecchia||Lisbon||$2449|
|2019 Apr 24||26 days, one-way from Civitavecchia to Amsterdam||Civitavecchia||$5899|
|2019 Apr 24||12 days, one-way from Civitavecchia to Dover||Civitavecchia||$2449|
|2019 May 06||28 days, one-way from Dover to Amsterdam||Dover||$6849|
|2019 May 06||14 days, one-way from Dover to Amsterdam||Dover||$3599|
|2019 May 20||28 days, round-trip Norwegian Fjords & British Isles Explorer||Amsterdam||$7029|
|2019 May 20||14 days, round-trip Norwegian Fjords Explorer||Amsterdam||$3399|
|2019 Jun 03||14 days, round-trip British Isles Explorer||Amsterdam||$3799|