ms Veendam current position
ms Veendam current location is at East Mediterranean (coordinates 34.58745 N / 33.14608 E) cruising at speed of 15.8 kn (29 kph/ 18 mph) en route to CY MOI > CY MOI. The AIS position was reported 1 minute ago.Current Position
Specifications of ms Veendam
|Year built||1996 / Age: 24|
|Builder||Fincantieri (Marghera, Italy)|
|Building cost||USD 150 million|
|Owner||Carnival Corporation & PLC|
|Operator||Holland America Line|
|Speed||21 kn / 39 kph / 24 mph|
|Length (LOA)||219 m / 719 ft|
|Beam (width)||30 m / 98 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||57092 gt|
|Passengers||1350 - 1620|
|Decks with cabins||5|
|Sister-ships||MS Maasdam, MS Ryndam (CMV Ida Pfeiffer), MS Statendam (CMV Vasco da Gama)|
|Christened by||Mary Frances Debbie Reynolds|
ms Veendam Review
Review of ms Veendam
IMPORTANT: in July 2020, Carnival Corporation (via Holland America Line) sold 4 liners. MS Amsterdam and MS Rotterdam were sold to Fred Olsen Cruise Lines (to be renamed "MS Bolette" and "MS Borealis"). MS Maasdam and MS Veendam were sold to an undisclosed buyer (yet to be announced). All scheduled for the 4 ships cruises were cancelled or assumed by other HAL ships.
- A total of 46x Holland America Veendam ship cruises were cancelled (November 3, 2020, through October 2, 2021), including 7-14-21-day Western Caribbean and 7-14-21-day Southern Caribbean roundtrips from Tampa Florida (through March 28, 2021), 28-day repositioning Mediterranean to Baltic (Civitavecchia-Rome to Amsterdam), Northern European roundtrips from Amsterdam (14-23-28-37-day Baltic, British Isles, Iceland and Norway Fjords, 2021 June 5 through August 23), 12-26-day repositioning Baltic to Mediterranean (Amsterdam to Civitavecchia), 14-28-day Holy Land roundtrip from Civitavecchia (Italy-Greece-Turkey-Israel-Malta).
History - construction and ownership
Holland America Line (HAL) is a Seattle-based cruise company owned by Carnival Corporation (shipowner). Between 1873-1989, HAL was a Dutch cargo and passenger shipping company operating regular Transatlantic crossings between Holland and the Americas. HAL was founded in 1873 as "Dutch-American Steamship Company" headquartered in Rotterdam Netherlands. In 1989, HAL was acquired by Carnival Corporation for around EUR 530 million. Among the company's assets are the Westmark hotel chain (Alaska-Yukon), Worldwide Shore Services (warehouses-logistics) and Half Moon Cay (Caribbean private island).
The 57,092-ton, 1,266-passenger cruise ship ms Veendam still keeps her traditional strengths. Veendam's signature has been her personal ambiance and multitude of retreats, where cruisers might enjoy a quiet moment or a book. Passengers might still carve out a private space - whether in one of the blissfully convenient window-facing lounge chairs in the Explorations Cafe, a corner of the Crow's Nest or Explorer's Lounge, a padded deck chair on the Deck 6 walk or one of the many slices of outer decks stepped up the bow of the cruise liner. The only time that passengers really feel the crowds, is when they are queuing up for dinner in the Rotterdam Dining Room or the Lido Restaurant, the same as other cruise ships.
Cruise itinerary program
(December 22, 2017, through April 2018), MS Veendam cruises to Cuba were roundtrips from Port Everglades (Fort Lauderdale Florida). HAL's 7-, 11-and 12-days long Cuban itineraries also visited other Caribbean ports of call. Prices started from USD 900 per person (double occupancy inside cabin rates). Bookings opened on May 26, 2017.
In the period November 2020 - April 2021, the liner is homeported in Tampa Bay (Florida). The program has scheduled a total of 18 Caribbean cruises plus 2 Transatlantic crossings.
MS Veendam has a total number of 675 cabins (of which 193 Suites, no Balcony, 138 Inside, 16 Spa rooms) in 31 grades. Most ms Veendam staterooms are 175-255-sq.foot oceanview rooms (345). Almost 30% of ship's accommodations have private balcony views. 18 are the wheelchair-accessible rooms. The largest aboard ms Veendam is the Pinnacle Suite (935 ft2). There are also Lanai cabins (38, category CA, on deck 3), Spa cabins (3 - Interior, IQ category), Spa suites (12, BQ).
Implemented fleetwide in 2019, "Club Orange" program provides exclusive amenities to Suite passengers booked in categories Neptune and Pinnacle. Bonus perks by this program include:
- priority services (check-in, disembarkation, tendering, dining reservations)
- 24-hour concierge service (assistance, information, reservations)
- exclusive dining venue (serving complimentary Pinnacle Grill breakfast and Dining Room dinner, plus exclusive dishes)
- dedicated Concierge Desk (Guest Services and Tours)
- room service (a la carte breakfast menu with complimentary gourmet dishes - including smoked salmon, steak and eggs)
- sparkling wine (embarkation day), Club Orange tote bag, premium bathrobes (cabin use, available for monogramming and purchasing).
- Club Orange Restaurant is part of the Main Dining Room (designed as separate VIP dining section).
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
Veendam's restaurants include the Rotterdam Dining Room, the Lido buffet, and the intimate Pinnacle Grill. There is also a casual poolside option for hot dogs and burgers, a coffee bar, and complimentary room service round-the-clock (from hot breakfast choices to dinner selections). The Lido buffet is efficient and has great sea views through its floor-to-ceiling windows. The buffet serves continental breakfast from 6:30 a.m., full breakfast (7-11 a.m.); lunch (11 a.m.-2 p.m.); and dinner (6-7:30 p.m.) Hours are adjusted during embarkation/debarkation and on port days. There are extended hours for ice cream, sandwiches or late-night offerings. Tea and coffee are available at the Lido at all times. The lines are manageable, even at peak times, with lots of available tables.
Follows the complete list of ms Veendam restaurants and food bars.
- Pinnacle Grill (62-seat reservations-only seafood/steakhouse restaurant with fine wines selection; free for passengers under 12 yo). The venue transforms into “An Evening at le Cirque” once per cruise via a partnership with NYC “Le Cirque” French restaurant.
- Rotterdam Restaurant (696-seat, aft Dining Room; features open seating Breakfast and Lunch, two Dinner options – 2 fixed seatings or “Any Time” dining between 5:15 p.m. - 9 p.m.
- Terrace Grill (fast food pool bar; complimentary)
- Lido Restaurant (372-seat complimentary buffet restaurant; offers self-service Breakfast 6:00 a.m. -11 a.m., Lunch 11:30 p.m. - 2 p.m., Afternoon Tea, and Dinner 5:30 p.m. - 8 p.m.)
- Canaletto Restaurant (Lido Restaurant annex; operates as an Italian restaurant for Dinner, reservations required)
- Slice (poolside Pizzeria).
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
The vessel's $2 million art collection retains the overall feeling of stylish and traditional with superb antique Delft, marble busts, armor and paintings of old Holland America vessels on display. Even nightlife - one of Holland America's weak points - has been enhanced by the refurbishment; the open plan of Deck 8 creates a superior vibe in the evenings when the energy of the casino spills over into the bar places, and shoppers in the stores get lured across the walkway to the piano bar when they hear a favorite tune. By day there are trivia games, Bridge, Bingo, Sudoku, movies, cooking demos and mixology classes. Poolside bands play various music on sail-aways and sea days. The New York Times-sponsored Explorations Cafe is ship's active hub throughout the day and evening. It holds more than 2,000 books plus a host of periodicals and DVD library. There are write-on/wipe-off crossword puzzle tables, touch-screen interactive maps and a cubby of puzzles and games. An adjacent card room and computer/Internet stations are also available. Other amenities include: complimentary 24-Hour Room-Service, Supervised Kids Program ("Club Hal"), cruise ship weddings, Internet/WiFi Access, Laundry/Self-Serve Laundromats.
Follows the complete list of ms Veendam lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Atrium (3-deck high midship open-floor area with live performances)
- Promenade Deck, Walking Track (jogging is not permitted)
- The Showroom at Sea (600-seat theatre/main show lounge; also serves Holland America’s enrichment program (via a partnership with BBC Earth)
- Queen’s Room (40-seat meeting room, hosts digital workshops via Microsoft partnership, computer classes, social networks, blogging, photo editing)
- Photo Gallery & Shop; Art Gallery
- Wine Tasting Bar, Gourmet Shops (bottles available for purchasing, wine sampling)
- Wajang Theatre & Culinary Arts Centre (203-seat cinema; offers culinary classes and cooking shows presented in demonstration kitchens)
- Atrium Terrace with boutiques; Atrium Shops (boutiques for duty-free tobaccos and liquor, perfumes, watches, clothing, HAL logo merchandise, souvenirs); Marabella Luxury Shop
- Ocean Bar (121-seat Atrium bar and lounge, with dance floor and stage for live performances)
- Casino (served by Casino Bar and Sports Bar)
- Hudson Room (40-seat meeting room; used as Cards Room)
- Half Moon Room (60-seat meeting room)
- MIX Lounge (has 3 parts, with live music and trivia games)
- Explorations Cafe (88-seat specialty coffee bar and patisserie; also serves as ship’s Library and Online Centre/Internet computers room)
- Explorer’s Lounge & Bar (60-seat lounge with bar; classical concert performances)
- Neptune Lounge (24-seat club venue for Deluxe Suite and Pinnacle guests only)
- Fitness Center (gym with separate Aerobics Room); 2 jacuzzis
- Greenhouse Spa & Salon; Lido Pool area, served by Lido Bar and Terrace Grill; Sea View Pool area served by Sea View Bar
- The Retreat (sun deck area, adults-only)
- Crow’s Nest (250-seat observation lounge; bar and dance floor; becomes disco at night)
- Tennis Court; Basketball Court; Shuffleboard
- Club HAL (kids lounge, complimentary youth programming)
- The Loft (teens club lounge area, with Video Games Arcade, computers, PlayStations; teen disco)
- The Oasis (40-seat teen-only outdoor area).
ms Veendam - user reviews and comments
Photos of ms VeendamAdd Photo
ms Veendam ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
The Carnival Corporation-owned company HAL-Holland America Line announced that its cruise liners Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Maasdam and Veendam are sold...July 16, 2020
- Cruise Industry
Beginning on Friday, June 12, and ending on June 28, a total of 11 cruise ships will call at Port Mumbai India to disembark 10,000+ Indian crew stuck...June 13, 2020
In mid-April 2020, Carnival Corporation (world's largest cruise shipowner) developed a crew repatriation plan using 8 cruise liners from 3 of its...April 19, 2020
- Cruise Industry
The cruise sector of St Kitts continues to surge. The island, recently named Caribbean Cruise Destination of the Year, welcomed 4 cruise ships...December 26, 2019
The Holland America cruise ship ms Veendam temporarily lost power and began drifting off George Town (Grand Cayman Island) on Saturday, November 9...November 13, 2019
- Cruise Industry
In 2020, Holland America will debut a new Grand Africa Voyage (world cruise) which circles the continent and offers more than a dozen wildlife...October 14, 2019
- Cruise Industry
HAL-Holland America Line dropped Tampa FL as a homeport in spring 2018. According to Erik Elvejord (company's director of public relations), HAL was...September 17, 2019
- Cruise Industry
Cruisers looking to explore the castles of the British Isles, fjords of Norway, beaches of Greece and flavors of Italy can choose from 6 Holland...December 23, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Holland America Line introduced 34 Canada and New England cruises to choose from between April-October 2019. Offering more voyages in the region than...November 19, 2018
The Coast Guard has transported a 65-year-old woman from a Holland America cruise ship off the coast of Charleston on Thursday, April 26. MS...April 29, 2018
- show more news
Other Holland America cruise ships
ms Veendam Wiki
Named after Veendam Holland (capital city of the Dutch province Groningen), Veendam is Holland America's 4th (last) S-class liner, with sisterships Maasdam, Ryndam, Statendam. Ship's Inaugural Cruise/Maiden Voyage was on January 14, 1996. Ship's godmother was Mary Frances Debbie Reynolds (US actress, singer and businesswoman / 1932-2016).
Ship's interior is floral-themed. In the Atrium area is the 3-story high impressive cut-glass sculpture "Jacob's Ladder". The liner has an USD 2+ million art collection - from classic paintings of life and stylized flowers to flower-themed ceiling murals. A valuable antique is the Japanese samurai armor from late-17th-century.