In tandem with the start of line's 2017 Transatlantic season, Cunard shared an inspiring video interview with Chairman of the Board of Carnival Corporation & plc, Micky Arison.
In the video he reflects on the inspiration behind building Cunard Line's flagship Queen Mary 2 and the corporation’s acquisition of Cunard in 1998.
The video, titled “Micky Arison on Cunard and Queen Mary 2,” has been edited as both a long version and short version.
In the interview, Arison remembers his family’s immigration to America in 1954 on Cunard’s Mauretania, and discusses the importance of a modern, simple and romantic cruise experience, which led to the vision and conception of Queen Mary 2.
Referring to the Transatlantic Crossing as a “hypnotic” experience, Arison notes,
“The views are spectacular, and the service and food is the finest you can get anywhere in the world, and there is an incredible brand ambiance that’s unique to Cunard.”
Today, Queen Mary 2 remains the only true ocean liner at sea, and it is the only ship to continue to offer regularly scheduled Transatlantic Crossings.
From May until December 2017, Queen Mary 2 will make a total of 22 Transatlantic voyages, of which some will feature special programming such as:
- The New York Times Insights Series (several Eastbound Transatlantic Crossings)
- The Greatest GENERATIONS Foundation (M729 | Departing Southampton, August 4)
- Julien’s Auctions: The Judy Garland Collection (M730A | Departing New York, August 12)
- Transatlantic Fashion Week (M732B | Departing Southampton, August 31)
- Le Havre’s 500th Anniversary (M734 | Departing Southampton, September 14)
- World Space Week (M737 | Departing New York, October 6)
- Transatlantic Celebration of the Times Crossword (M745 | Departing New York, December 8).