The ultra-premium travel brand Windstar Cruises announced it had cancelled all remaining sailings in 2020, saying it was a “difficult decision.”
The owned by Xanterra Parks and Resorts (USA) Windstar said in a statement they had hoped that the number of Coronavirus (COVID-19) cases and episodes of transmission would be in decline and that "the world recovery from the pandemic would be faster, but based on what we are seeing, we believe the most prudent way forward to keep our guests and crew safe is to postpone all Windstar sailings until next year."
Passengers on the cancelled cruises receive a future cruise credit (FCC) valued at 125% of the money paid on the booking to Windstar.
Those who prefer a refund can request their future cruise credit be converted to a refund equal to 100% of what they paid. Guests have 24 months from the issuance date of the FCC to book and embark on any available voyage.
“During this temporary pause in operations, we are reviewing and updating our health and safety practices including enhanced sanitation protocols, health screenings, adding more medical staff on board, flexible dining, and crew training,” the company said. “Our new Beyond Ordinary Care program is a multi-layered strategy with key hospital-grade elements: HEPA filters and UV-C ultraviolet germicidal irradiation to filter and disinfect circulated air within our yachts, plus EvaClean with PurTab to sanitize all surfaces throughout our yachts.”
Windstar has previously hoped to commence cruising with Wind Spirit in Tahiti in September but had to postpone it to October 15. Its other cruise ships were due to return to service in a staggered fashion, from November 29 through July 5, 2021.