Dunedin is a port city (New Zealand's southernmost) located inside the Otago Harbor. Its boundaries are the Otago Peninsula (southern side) and the Larnach Castle. The city is often nicknamed ”Edinburgh of the South” because it resembles the Scottish city. It attracts cruise passengers with interesting city tours and day trips. Popular overnight trip is Milford Sound (via Queenstown).
The city is compact and its most popular tourist attractions are in The Octagon area (city center). There is a tourist info office, a post office and many different kinds of stores. There are two main streets – George Street (direction North form the Octagon) and Princes Street (direction South form the Octagon).
Dunedin port serves major cruise lines including P&O Australia, Royal Caribbean, Holland America, Princess, Saga, Celebrity, Carnival.
Highlights: Victorian town, Taieri Gorge, Otago Peninsula, Moeraki Boulders
Dunedin cruise terminal
Smaller cruise ships in Dunedin dock on a wharf located approx 1 km / 0,6 ml from The Octagon (city center). Larger vessels dock at a pier in Port Chalmers, located approx 15 km / 9 ml from the city. A shuttle bus service (at additional charge) is provided for passenger transportation between the cruise port and the city center. Travel time is approx 30-min on a road that parallels the coast of the bay.
Dunedin cruise ship terminal is at Port Chalmers (on the above photo). - a small town inside the Otago Harbour, with population around 3,000. At the terminal there is an i-SITE information center and also a taxi rank.
Dunedin tours, shore excursions, hotels
City Tours and Shore Excursions
- Larnach Castle: it dates from 1871. It is the only castle in New Zealand. It is named after Australian manager of the Bank of Otago, William Larnach.
- Royal Albatross Colony: located 30km from Dunedin cruise port, it is at Taiaroa Head (peninsula’s end).
- Olveston House: built for David Theomin, famous businessman, the Jacobean-style house dates from 1906. It is surrounded by beautiful garden and houses paintings and antiques collected by Mr Theomin during his travels around the world.
- Railway Station / Otago Settlers’ Museum: located down towards the Dunedin harbor. The building of the railway station is impressive with its tower with copper cap. At each corner there is a heraldic lion. The Otago Settlers’ Museum is in adjacent.
- Octagon: the Dunedin center. It has eight sides and it is the start of all tour walks. Here is the Robert Burns’ statue, the Town Hall (behind the statue) and the Anglican Cathedral St Paul’s.
- Taieri Gorge: the most popular Railway excursion will show you four hours of breathtaking scenery to the central part of Otago and back through the rugged mountain.
The Dunedin cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Dunedin, New Zealand.
If you lose the Dunedin location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Dunedin cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Dunedin, New Zealand. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
2 March, 2017
4 March, 2017
6 March, 2017
7 March, 2017
8 March, 2017
14 March, 2017
15 March, 2017
17 March, 2017
21 March, 2017
22 March, 2017
24 March, 2017
27 March, 2017
31 March, 2017
Heavy fog prevented a Cunard cruise ship from docking at Port Chalmers, Dunedin. The ship will now make her way to the next scheduled visit to...March 17, 2017
An Australian cruise passenger was denied entry to New Zealand as his ship arrived after a sailing around the country. When Azamara...March 2, 2017
Hundreds of people turned out to welcome back again the mega ship Ovation of the Seas to Dunedin, despite miserable and drizzly weather. Traffic was...January 19, 2017
Cruise ship passengers had to make an emergency exit when their tour bus caught fire in Dunedin yesterday. Ritchies Coachlines regional manager...January 12, 2017
Dunedin reached cruise altitude with the passengers from some large ships filling the streets during city's traditional quiet period. Ovation of...January 6, 2017
A massive cruise season for Dunedin is set to start today and tourism operators think the city is up to the challenge. Sun Princess arrives in...October 12, 2016
It is not very long since RMS Queen Mary 2 was the biggest cruise liner to visit Auckland. Currently, cruise holidays are a monster ...October 7, 2016
Princess Cruises will cruise from Adelaide for the first time in 2017-2018, offering South Australians roundtrip sailings to New Zealand. Golden...April 11, 2016
On its world cruise in 2018, the iconic Cunard flagship RMS Queen Mary 2 will visit Australia and New Zealand for more than a month. Once...March 26, 2016
Yesterday (October 3), was announced the official start of New Zealand's biggest ever summer cruise season with the arriving of Diamond Princess in...October 4, 2015
- show more news