Petermann Island is a small Antarctic isle located off Kiev Peninsula's northwest coast (Graham Land, Antarctica). It is a short distance south of Lemaire Channel and (to the northeast) Hogvaard Island and Booth Island.
- The island has length of 1,8 km (1,1 ml) and width of 1,2 km (0,7 ml). It rises steeply to 250-meter elevations from a rocky coastline with pebble beaches. Petermann Island has a volcanic origin, with nearly half the land surface covered by crevassed icecap. Areas free of ice have sparse vegetation of lichens and mosses.
- The isle has been declared an IBA (Important Bird Area) by BirdLife International. It supports a breeding colony of around 3,000 pairs of gentoo penguins (long-tailed species). Other birds nesting in smaller numbers here include Adelie penguins, Wilson's storm petrels, south polar skuas and imperial shags.
- Petermann Island was discovered during a German expedition (1873-1874) and named after August Petermann (1822-1878) - a famous cartographer with many published maps and scientific articles.
- The French Antarctic Expedition of 1908-1910 wintered over aboard a ship in a cove on island's southeast side, named Port Circumcision as it was spotted on January 1, 1909 - the traditional day for Feast of the Circumcision (Christian celebration of Jesus' circumcision).
- Huts created by the expedition are now gone, although a cairn still remains, alongside a refuge hut that was built by Argentina in 1955, as well as a cross commemorating 3 members of British Antarctic Survey - they died in 1982 in an attempt to cross the sea ice to Petermann Island from Faraday Station.
Highlights: Antarctic Peninsula, sheer rock walls
The Petermann Island cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Petermann Island, Antarctica.
If you lose the Petermann Island location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Petermann Island cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Petermann Island, Antarctica. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
1 January, 2017
5 January, 2017
10 January, 2017
11 January, 2017
22 January, 2017
23 January, 2017
25 January, 2017
27 January, 2017