Pico Island (aka Ilha do Pico), is an island located in the Central Group of Portuguese Azores. The island covers a total area of approx 447 km2 (173 ml2) and has a population of around 15,760 people (2007 census).
- The main settlements include the capital Madalena, Lajes do Pico and Sao Roque do Pico. Pico Island is 17,5 km (11 ml) south of Sao Jorge Island and just 7 km (4,35 ml) east of Faial, Central Group of islands, which is an area colloquially known as The Triangle (o Triangulo).
- Pico Island is 46 km (28,6 ml) long, and at its maximum extent is about 16 km (9,9 ml) wide, rising from the center to the west in the summit of stratovolcano of Pico; making it the 2nd largest of Azores islands. Along Pico's central plain of volcano cones to island's eastern coast, the landscape is pitted with lake-filled cones and remnants of craters, dominated by the ancient volcano Topo.
- The landscape of Pico Island features the eponymous Ponta do Pico volcano, which is the highest Portugese mountain, and the highest elevation of Mid-Atlantic Ridge. In the tradition of Portuguese poet, Raul Brandao (1867-1930), Pico Island is referred to as Ilha Preta ("Black Island"), due to its black volcanic earth, responsible for the UNESCO-designated historical vineyards which allowed the island's development.
- Until 1980, Pico Island supported substantial whaling industry. Its position on the Mid-Atlantic Ridge indicates that deep water is close. Active industries include shipbuilding, wine production and tourism. Landscape of Pico Island Vineyard Culture has been designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 2004. Pico features a number of notable wines which are commercialized in the country and exported abroad.
- Pico Island received QualityCoast Gold Award in 2012 for its efforts to be a sustainable tourism destination. Due to the award, it's been selected for inclusion in DestiNet, a global atlas for sustainable tourism.
Highlights: Lajido Acros, Restored whale factory and museum
Pico Island cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Pico Island (Ilha do Pico) Azores dock (anchor) at Sao Roque do Pico - port town on the northeastern coast.
The Pico Island cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Pico Island, Azores.
If you lose the Pico Island location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Pico Island cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Pico Island, Azores. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
16 October, 2017