Puerto Cortes, originally named Puerto de Caballos, is a port city located on Honduras' north Caribbean coast, right on Laguna de Alvarado, east of Omoa and north of San Pedro Sula, with a natural bay. The city covers a total area of approx 391 km2 (151 ml2) and has a population of around 126,000 people (2015 census).
- The present-day city of Puerto Cortes was established in early colonial period and grew quickly during the 20th century, due to the railroad and banana production. The seaport is Central America's first largest and the world's 36th largest in terms of traffic's volume.
- In 1966, Honduras National Port Authority (Empresa Nacional Portuaria) was created. In 1976 a free trade zone was created.
- Among all worldwide seaports which export containers with goods to USA, Puerto Cortes is 36th in terms of volume.
- Due to its seaport infrastructure and proximity to United States' seaports on the East Coast and in the Gulf of Mexico, Puerto Cortes was included in CSI (US Container Security Initiative), the first port of the kind in Central America. In the end of 2005, the US government signed an agreement with Honduras and opened US Customs Office in Puerto Cortes. Under the agreement, all containers that were exported from the port destined for any United States seaport are checked in Honduras by US Customs officials.
- Under the Megaport initiative, in March 2007 three Radiation Portal Monitors (RPMs) were already installed in Puerto Cortes by US DOE in order to inspect all containers with destination to the United States, checking for possible radioactive threats. On April 2, 2007 they became operative.
- A beach popular as "La Coca-Cola" that was named after the company due to La Embotelladora La Coca-Cola is situated in Puerto Cortes. The plant once employed lots of workers whose meals depended on the job.
- During the 1930s a little whale was captured in Puerto Cortes' bay. This was a rare situation, since whales are normally not found in the Caribbean Sea.
Port Puerto Cortes cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Puerto Cortes, Honduras. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ship||Arrival||Departure||Next Port of Call|
|21 January, 2019|
|Artania||07:00||22:00||Roatan Island, Mahogany Bay-Coxen Hole, Honduras|
The Puerto Cortes cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Puerto Cortes, Honduras.
If you lose the Puerto Cortes location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.