Sao Luis (Saint Louis) is the capital and largest city of the state of Maranhao, Brazil. The city covers a total area of approx 827,141 km2 (319,360 ml2) and has a population of around 1,011,940 people (2010 census).
- The city of Sao Luis is located on Saint Louis Island (Ilha de Sao Luis) in Saint Mark's Bay (Baia de Sao Marcos), an extension of the Atlantic which forms the estuary of Itapecuru, Pindare, Mearim and other rivers.
- Sao Luis, founded originally as Saint-Louis-de-Maragnan, is the only state capital in Brazil established by France and it is one of the 3 Brazilian state capitals situated on islands (the others include Vitoria and Florianopolis).
- The city of Sao Luis has two major sea ports: Itaqui Port and Madeira Port, through which a large part of the iron ore of Brazil is exported. The main industries of the city include metallurgical with Alumar, and VALE (Companhia Vale do Rio Doce). Sao Luis homes the Federal University of Maranhao.
- The opening of Port of Itaqui in Saint Louis, now 2nd in depth in the world, 2nd only to Rotterdam, and one of the busiest in Brazil, served to drain iron ore and industrial production coming from Train Serra dos Carajas. The proximity to strategic markets in North America and Europe has made the port an attractive option to export, though it suffers from increased coastal shipping.
- Sao Luis is famous for its tiles which most historical buildings in the city center are covered in. Due to it the city is popular as "Brazilian Athens" and "The Tiles City". In 1997 the historical center of Sao Luis was made a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- The city features only one output ground, the bridge of Estreito dos Mosquitos, connecting Sao Luis Island by road BR-135.
Highlights: Cathedral and an Episcopal Palace, Puerto Itaqui
Port Sao Luis cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Sao Luis, Brazil. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ship||Arrival||Departure||Next Port of Call|
|11 October, 2018|
|MS Midnatsol||At Sea|
The Sao Luis cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Sao Luis, Brazil.
If you lose the Sao Luis location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.