Silhouette Island is located 20 km (12 ml) northwest of Mahe Island, Seychelles. It is the 3rd largest granitic Seychelles' island. The island covers a total area of approx 20,1 km2 (7,8 ml2) and has a population of around 200 people (2014 census), mostly workers on Silhouette.
- The main settlement on the island is La Passe, where Hilton Hotel is situated. The name of Silhouette Island was given after Etienne de Silhouette (1709-1767), French minister of finances under Louis XV.
- Silhouette Island is mountainous with 5 peaks over 1,600 ft (500 m) in elevation. The highest one is Mont Dauban, 2,464 ft (751 m). As such, it features some of the most dramatic scenery of the Seychelles.
- The crew of English East India Company ship, mv Ascension, were the first people known to step ashore on the island in 1609.
- From the middle of the 19th century until 1960, Silhouette was owned by Dauban family, who were from France but in 1830 settled in Mauritius. They were responsible for developing the extensive plantations on the island. There is a mausoleum created in the style of La Madeleine in Paris, Eglise de la Madeleine. A number of the family members were buried there, including Auguste Dauban. His extensive business ventures earned him the nickname "Rothschild of the Indian Ocean".
- The era of Dauban family came to an end after Henri Dauban sold Silhouetteto a French group. In 1983 the island was purchased by the Seychelles government. A small hotel was built that was later replaced by larger Labriz Resort (later bought by Hilton hotel group). The plantation house of Dauban has been restored.
- Silhouette Island is among the richest biodiversity hot-spots situated in the western Indian Ocean featuring a wealth of endemic and threatened animal and plant species. Among the major ones is the Seychelles sheath-tailed bat which is critically endangered. The surrounding waters were declared Marine National Park in 1987. Silhouette National Park was founded in 2010, protecting 93% of the landmass. The island is an Important Bird Area considered by Alliance for Zero Extinction to be important for survival of Critically Endangered species.
Silhouette Island cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Silhouette Island dock (anchor) at La Passe, port village on the eastern coast.
The Silhouette Island cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Silhouette Island, Seychelles.
If you lose the Silhouette Island location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.