Tangier Island is located in Chesapeake Bay, an estuary that lies inland from the Atlantic Ocean, surrounded by North American mainland to the west, and Delmarva Peninsula to the east.
- Tangier is a port town located on Tangier Island, in Accomack County, Virginia, United States. The town covers a total area of approx 3,2 km2 (1,2 ml2) and has population of around 730 people (2010 census).
- The majority of Tangier's original settlers came from South West England. The small island community attracted the attention of linguists as the natives speak unique English Restoration-era dialect of the American English. Most of the island of Tangier is on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Before the arrival of British colonists on Tangier Island, it was the summer retreat for Pocomoke Indians for centuries. Despite the fact that not much is known about them, their existence is evidenced by the wealth of stone arrowheads found all over the island.
- Currently, the inhabitants of Tangier Island rely mostly on crabbing to make a living and Tangier is often referred to as the world's "soft-shell crab capital". Most fishermen catch and sell oysters and crabs. North of the island are a lot of free-standing docks which are not connected to land and fishermen use them to hold crabs while they moult. Another major industry is oystering. The island has a long history of graduates who joined the military.
- The only industry on Tangier Island besides fishing is tourism. In the summer, a number of cruise ships visit the island each day and allow passengers to buy goods from the islanders. A couple of bed-and-breakfast inns accommodate a limited number of guests. There are a few restaurants and shops for the tourist-trade. Some of the residents outfit golf carts with traveller trailers and sell "historical tours". The roads on Tangier are wide enough for just two golf carts passing each other. Few cars are currently present on Tangier Island because they aren't able to get over the tiny wooden bridges. Islanders and tourists all get around on mopeds, bikes, golf carts and boats.
Highlights: Crab shanties, shops and charming homes
Tangier Island cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Tangier Island dock (anchor) at Tangier - port city on the eastern coast.
The Tangier Island cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Tangier Island, Virginia.
If you lose the Tangier Island location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Tangier Island cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Tangier Island, Virginia. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
2 May, 2017
9 May, 2017
16 May, 2017
23 May, 2017
30 May, 2017