On May 31, 2017, during MSC Meraviglia ship's delivery ceremony at STX France shipyard (Saint-Nazaire), MSC Cruises signed a new ship construction deal (memorandum of understanding) with STX France for a new series of 4 mega cruise ships (World Class) at a total cost EUR 4.5 billion.
- World Class MSC ships are with max capacity 6850 passengers (2760 staterooms).
- Building cost per ship EUR 1,125 billion.
- Shipbuilder is STX France.
- Vessel's gross tonnage is 200,000 GT.
- Vessel's LOA length is 330 m (1083 ft).
- Vessel's width is 47 m (154 ft).
- The shipbuilding order includes 2 initial vessels, plus two optional.
- Among these liners' key features are new generation LNG-powered engines, new waste water treatment plants, Y-shaped superstructure profile (better panoramic views, increased more balcony cabins), G bow hull (vertically positioned / 90-degree angle, improves vessel's stability and hydrodynamics / fuel efficiency), family-themed "villages", panoramic aft pool, glass-covered pool lounge.
The first MSC World ships will be launched in the years 2022 and 2024. The two optional vessels will be launched in 2025 and 2026.