Saga Cruises Suspends Operations for 2 Months

   March 13, 2020 ,   Accidents

The travel and insurance company for the over-50s, Saga, cancelled all cruises until May 2020 in response to the growing Coronavirus (COVID-19) threat.

Saga Cruises said its decision had been sparked by the latest travel advice of the government, which stated that people over 70 and those with pre-existing health conditions should avoid cruises after several ships around the world had been locked down due to Coronavirus outbreaks onboard.

Saga added it would temporarily suspend its voyages for 6 weeks until May 1 and would be offering clients a full refund or credit for future cruises. It said the move would result in a GBP 10-15 million loss in pre-tax profit for the cruise business and it would take additional action, such as cost-cutting, if necessary.

Spirit of Discovery cruise ship

“The health and safety of customers and colleagues is our number one priority. We have, therefore, made the decision to temporarily suspend operations of our cruises until 1 May 2020. Our customer service teams will be in contact with cruise customers who were due to travel in the next six weeks to offer them either a full refund or a credit for a future departure.”

For Coronavirus updates on cruise ship quarantines (infected passengers and crew) and top-pandemic countries (COVID-19 cases and deaths, daily updated statistics) see at CruiseMapper's Norovirus page.

This website uses cookies and local storage. By using our services, you agree to our use of cookies and local storage.