Norwegian Getaway accidents and incidents
CruiseMapper's Norwegian Getaway cruise ship accidents, incidents and law news reports relate to a 4819-passenger vessel owned by Norwegian Cruise Line. Our Norwegian Getaway accidents page contains reports made by using official data from renown online news media sources, US Coast Guard and Wikipedia.
Here are also reported latest updates on cruise law news related to ashore and shipboard crimes still investigated by the police. Among those could be arrests, filed lawsuits against the shipowner / cruise line company, charges and fines, grievances, settled / withdrawn legal actions, lost cases, etc.
- fire – 2013 (during ship construction)
- deaths – 2015 (drowned in Tortola, BVI), 2016 (suicide)
- medevacs – 2015 (2)
- served as floating hotel during "2016 Summer Olympics" (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil) - together with Silver Cloud
For the period April 15 -September 23, 2018, the shipowner Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) changed the vessel's itinerary program (based on roudtrips from homeport Miami Florida) from Eastern Cartibbean to Western Caribbean.
The itinerary change was due to damages on the islands Tortola and St Thomas caused by hurricanes Irma and Maria in September 2017. Immediately after the storms hit the region, NCL and other cruise companies modified their itinerary routes to Western Caribbean.
During "2016 Summer Olympics" in Rio de Janeiro (Brazil), for the period August 5 through 21, this NCL cruise vessel was fully chartered to serve as hotel ship for the "Olympic Family". A second / smaller ship (Silversea's Silver Cloud) was also chartered as hotel ship and was anchored alongside Norwegian Getaway during the games.
The NCL ship was under time-charter (by the brokerage firm Landry & Kling) and was booked with passenger capacity 3957. Of the liner's all staterooms, 90% were reserved for the "Olympic Family" (Rio Host Committee, International Olympic Federation, National Organizing Committees, as well as for all the Olympic’s corporate sponsors). The remaining 10% were sold as cruisetour packages by Tam Viagens (Brazilian tour company).
The Silversea ship provided lodging for the NBA players (USA's men and women basketball teams), along with their families and friends. It was booked with passenger capacity 296.
The reason for chartering cruise vessels as hotels was security. The anchored ships' location (Port Rio's Pier Maua) was not disclosed during the games.
|09 March 2016||
Crew / Passenger Deaths
On March 9, 2016, a male passenger committed suicide by jumping intentionally from the ship’s Sports Deck 18 (basketball court area) and landing on Promenade Deck 8 (waterfront aft).
|16 September 2015||
Crew / Passenger Deaths
On September 16, 2015, a 60-year-old male passenger died (initially reported drowned) during NCL-sponsored shore excursion in Tortola (BVI). However, autopsy showed the man (John Joseph Russo, of US origin) died of a broken neck after diving headfirst from the tour boat. He was traveling together with his girlfriend (Jill Pires, aged 59) and both participated in a guided snorkeling tour at Frenchmans Cay Resort (West End Tortola). The boat’s crew and fellow tourists searched for ~45 min before the body resurfaced.
The incident occurred at ~11:30 am, while the NCL ship was docked in Tortola on 7-day Eastern Caribbean cruise (itinerary Sept 12-19) from homeport Miami, with call ports Charlotte Amalie (St Thomas USVI), Tortola, Nassau (Bahamas).
|04 September 2015||
Coast Guard Medevacs
On September 4, 2015, due to a medical emergency, the ship arrived early in call port Nassau Bahamas, where a female passenger was disembarked and ambulanced to a hospital. The incident occurred on 7-day Eastern Caribbean cruise (itinerary Aug 29 – Sept 5) from homeport Miami, with call ports Charlotte Amalie (St Thomas), Roadtown (Tortola BVI) and Nassau.
|16 February 2015||
Coast Guard Medevacs
On February 16, 2015, a 13-year-old male passenger was medevaced via USCG helicopter and transported to Centro Medico hospital in San Juan Puerto Rico. The incident occurred en-route from Miami to St Maarten. A MH-65 Dolphin helicopter flew to the NCL ship and airlifted / hoisted the boy, his mother and a crew doctor.
The ship was on 7-day Eastern Caribbean cruise (itinerary Feb 14 to 21) from homeport Miami to Philipsburg (St Maarten), Charlotte Amalie (St Thomas) and Nassau (Bahamas).
|05 March 2013||
On March 5, 2013, during the vessel’s construction, a fire broke out at the shipbuilder’s yard in Papenburg Germany. No injuries were reported. The incident didn’t affect the delivery date (January 10, 2014). During the fire, all production areas and the shipyard's visitors center were evacuated because of the huge amount of smoke accumulated in the drydock.
You can add more details on reported here accident or submit new / your own Norwegian Getaway ship incident ("Cruise Minus" report) via CruiseMapper's contact form.