Silver Cloud accidents and incidents

Silver Cloud cruise ship
Rating:

Cabins
126

Length (LOA)
155 m / 509 ft

  Tracker   Ship Wiki

CruiseMapper's Silver Cloud cruise ship accidents, incidents and law news reports relate to a 302-passenger vessel owned by Silversea Expeditions (Silversea). Our Silver Cloud accidents page contains reports made by using official data from renown online news media sources, US Coast Guard and Wikipedia.

Here are also reported latest updates on cruise law news related to ashore and shipboard crimes still investigated by the police. Among those could be arrests, filed lawsuits against the shipowner / cruise line company, charges and fines, grievances, settled / withdrawn legal actions, lost cases, Norovirus, etc.

  • propulsion/power loss – 2017 (Antarctica)
  • served as floating hotel during "2016 Summer Olympics" (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil) - together with Norwegian Getaway
DateAccident
  20 November 2017Propulsion / Power Loss

On November 20, 2017, in the afternoon, engine failure (fuel pump) resulted in power / propulsion loss and drifting en-route to Antarctica. The accident occurred during the ship's inaugural / first Antarctic cruise. The voyage was cancelled due to mechanical problems.

The scheduled departure from Buenos Aires (Nov 15) was delayed by a day due to harsh weather with severe winds (over 45 mph / 75 kph) and swells (over 25 ft / 8 m). The cruise's expedition leader announced that Port Stanley (Falklands) will be dropped from the itinerary.

After 2 days into the voyage, in call port Puerto Madryn (Peninsula Valdes), due to heavy seas the ship had to wait in port. On Nov 20, after a few hours at sea and before entering Drake Passage, the fuel pump failed, leaving the vessel adrift.

After ~1 hour, engineering crew managed to restore power and the ship returned to Puerto Madryn for repairs. On Nov 21, in the evening, became clear that the fuel pump part can't be replaced in time.

The ill-fated Antarctica cruise cost around GBP 12,000 (~ USD 16,000) per person. All passengers were fully refunded. Silversea also organised and paid for all flights back to Buenos Aires and to passengers' airports of origin. Also offered were complimentary overnight hotels in Buenos Aires, refunds of outward air fares, future Silversea cruise booking discounts.

The 16-day itinerary (Nov 15 - Dec 1) had scheduled visits in Falkland Islands, South Shetland Islands and Antarctic Peninsula, starting and ending in Argentina (from Buenos Aires to Ushuaia). The next table show's the original itinerary's ports of call and scheduled port times.

15 NovDeparting from Buenos Aires, Argentina
17 Nov - 18 NovAt Sea
19 Nov 06:00 - 16:00Puerto Madryn, Argentina
20 Nov 06:00 - 11:00New Island, Falkland Islands
21 Nov 15:00 - 20:00West Point Island, Falkland Islands
22 Nov 06:00 - 16:00Port Stanley, East Falkland Island
23 NovAt Sea
24 NovElephant Island, Antarctica
Nov 25-26-27-28Antarctic Peninsula, Antarctica
29 NovSouth Shetland Islands, Antarctica
Nov 30 - Dec 01Drake Passage, Antarctica
02 DecArriving in Ushuaia, Argentina
  August 2016Other Incidents

During "2016 Summer Olympics" in Rio de Janeiro (Brazil), for the period August 5 through 21, this Silversea cruise vessel was fully chartered to serve as hotel ship for USA's men and women basketball teams. A second / bigger liner (NCL's Norwegian Getaway) was also chartered as hotel ship and was anchored alongside Silver Cloud during the games.

The NCL ship provided lodging for the "Olympic Family" and was booked with passenger capacity 3957. On Getaway, 90% of the ship was reserved for the "Olympic Family" (Rio Host Committee, International Olympic Federation, National Organizing Committees, as well as for all the Olympic’s corporate sponsors). The remaining 10% staterooms were sold as cruisetour packages by Tam Viagens (Brazilian tour company).

The Silversea ship (housing the NBA players, along with their families and friends) was booked with passenger capacity 296. Its last regularl itinerary was in the Mediterranean (June 2016) before the Transatlantic crossing to Brazil.

The reason for chartering cruise vessels as hotels was security. The anchored ships' location (Port Rio's Pier Maua) was not disclosed during the games.

You can add more details on reported here accident or submit new / your own Silver Cloud ship incident ("Cruise Minus" report) via CruiseMapper's contact form.