Silversea Expeditions (Silversea)
Silver Cloud Review and Specifications
Specifications of Silver Cloud
|Year built||1994 / Age : 24|
|Builder||Societa' Esercizio Cantieri SpA Shipyard (Viareggio, Italy)|
|Class||ice-strengthened expedition ship|
|Building cost||USD 125 million|
|Owner||Lefebvre Family (Rome, Italy)|
|Operator||Silversea Cruises (Silversea Expeditions)|
|Speed||18 kn / 33 kph / 21 mph|
|Length (LOA)||155 m / 509 ft|
|Beam (width)||21 m / 69 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||16927 gt|
|Passengers||252 - 302|
|Decks with cabins||4|
Current itinerary of Silver Cloud
Silver Cloud current cruise is 9 days, round-trip St John's Round Trip. Prices start from USD 8250 (double occupancy rates). The itinerary starts on 18 Sep, 2018 and ends on 27 Sep, 2018.
|Date / Time||Port|
|18 Sep||Departing from St Johns, Newfoundland, Canada|
|19 Sep 14:00 - 17:00||L'Anse aux Meadows, Newfoundland, Canada|
|20 Sep 08:00 - 16:00||Woody Point, Gros Morne National Park, Newfoundland, Canada|
|21 Sep 09:00 - 18:00||Havre-Saint-Pierre, Quebec, Canada|
|22 Sep 08:00 - 17:00||Bonaventure Island, Quebec, Canada|
|23 Sep 07:00 - 17:00||Magdalen Islands, Quebec, Canada|
|24 Sep 08:00 - 17:00||Louisbourg, Nova Scotia, Canada|
|25 Sep 06:00 - 17:00||Sable Island, Nova Scotia, Canada|
|26 Sep 11:00 - 17:00||Saint Pierre Island, France|
|27 Sep||Arriving in St Johns, Newfoundland, Canada|
Review of Silver Cloud
Launched in 1994, MS Silver Cloud cruise ship is the first and oldest vessel owned by Silversea Cruises. Her sister in the fleet is Silver Wind (1995). In October 2017, the ship joined Silversea Expeditions fleet (Silver Explorer, Silver Galapagos, Silver Discoverer) and started a new itinerary program with polar cruises to Antarctica and Arctic destinations.
History - construction and ownership
Silversea Cruises is a Monaco-based privately owned luxury cruise line. It was established in 1994 by a joint venture of V-Ships, Monaco (known previously as Vlasov Group) and the Lefebvre family of Italy (Rome). Silversea pioneered all-inclusive cruising with the launch of its first ship, Silver Cloud. As of early 2014, Silversea Cruises owns eight boutique cruise vessels, each carrying only 100 to 540 guests. The business model of Silversea is to operate cruise ships in the small, ultra-luxury, all-suite category. The new all inclusive fares of the line offer such features as beverages (including selected wines), gratuities (none are allowed), travel insurance, port charges and one or more complimentary shore excursions in every itinerary.
The 16,927-ton, 296-passenger cruise ship Silver Cloud underwent stem-to-stern refurbishment in October 2012, during a Sicily dry dock. All public spaces and suites (except the theater and the gym), were refurbished with new carpets, decor, and furniture. The result is a more contemporary feel and look. Silversea Silver Cloud was redesigned using quite a lot luxuries and characteristics which attract cruisers from across the world. That small, and in the same time spacious ship, delivers to guests who come onboard a detailed and also seductive voyage giving the feel of a larger cruise line.
In 2017, MS Silver Cloud was drydock refitted and refurbished (August-September) before joining the Silversea Expeditions fleet. The cruise ship's capacity was reduced from 362 to 260 passengers (on non-polar cruises). The ship's max capacity on polar cruises (Arctic and Antarctic itineraries) is 200 passengers.
Cruise itinerary program
Starting 2017, Silver Cloud cruises to Antarctica and Arctic (polar regions) destinations. The new itineraries are part of Silversea Expeditions cruise program, with roundtrip departures from Ushuaia (Argentina). During summer, Silver Cloud cruises in Northern Europe - leaving from ports in Arctic Norway to the Norwegian Fjords and Svalbard Islands.
On polar cruises, the ship's max passenger capacity is reduced from 260 to just 200.
Before joining Silversea Expeditions fleet in 2017, Silver Cloud's itinerary program was based on Caribbean cruises with departures from Fort Lauderdale, Barbados and Puerto Rico. During summer, the ship sailed in Europe (Mediterranean Sea) departing from Rome, Venice, Barcelona, Athens, Istanbul, with Transatlantic repositioning cruise crossings. The ship also used to operate a limited number of South Africa cruise leaving from Cape Town.
All Silver Cloud suites have ocean views, 75% are balconied. The six suites’ categories range in size from 240 sq.feet to more than 1,300. The smallest is Vista Suite which doesn’t have a balcony. Next is the Veranda, identical to Vista but with 55-sq.foot balcony with glass door floor-to-ceiling instead of a picture window. The best value is offered by midship Veranda Suites, as they are very well located for a smoother ride. The three Silver Suites provide 541 sq.feet space, with a larger verandah, separate living and dining areas. The 827 sq.feet Owner’s Suite has two bedrooms, two bathrooms and a 95-sq.foot verandah. The Royal Suites are two and pile on space with additional 200 ft2 (19 m2) living space. The largest are the two Grand Suites (stunning ocean views!), with 1,341 sq.feet and three verandahs.
Beds can be configured as a queen, or two twin beds, and passengers can even select specific types of pillows from a range of options. All suites feature direct-dial phones, binoculars, safes, iHome alarm clocks, flat-screen TV’s with satellite reception and DVD. Even Vista Suites – the smallest ones, have walk-in closets with plenty of room. Silver and higher suites feature CD players. Owner’s, Royal, and Grand Suites provide full-size Jacuzzis and guest powder rooms. Upon arrival, a specially assigned butler will offer a choice of Bvlgari, Neutrogena, or Acqua di Parma bath products.
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
MS Silver Cloud cruise ship is a real miracle of high-level service and gourmet dining – both elegant and fun, ideal for couples to enjoy fine food and intimacy. The Silversea Cruises Cloud ship has one of the highest ratios space-to-passenger. The warm crewmembers are able to make each passenger feel at home. Many of the staff have sailed with Silversea for years. The small ship’s size means that your name will be remembered. Another plus is that Silver Cloud fares are all-inclusive. All food, wine, alcohol, gratuities, are included. Additional gratuities are discouraged, but some guests still give them for some exemplary service.
Follows the complete list of Silver Cloud restaurants and food bars.
- The Restaurant (open-seating dining room with top-quality gourmet cuisine; features mostly Mediterranean themed meals, and always available standard menu with daily specials; all three meals are waiter-served and a la carte)
- Le Champagne (20-seat French cuisine specialty restaurant; offers signature dishes by Relais Chateaux; dinner-only; reservations-only)
- La Terrazza (Terrace Cafe; complimentary buffet-style restaurant, offers both indoor seating and an alfresco terrace; wine is complimentary; there is also Afternoon Tea service; La Terrazza transforms each evening between 7:00 and 9:30 pm, into an Italian specialty restaurant, reservations-only, with a la carte menu)
- Pool Bar & Pool Grill (serve ship's pool deck area with fast food and drinks during the day; in the evening, the outdoor area becomes an al fresco dining venue with classic seafood and steakhouse choices, plus vegetarian and healthy selections)
- The Grill (offers gourmet dining under the stars with signature meals including lava-rocks grilled meat, seafood, Mediterranean vegetables, baked potatoes, salad of the day; wines are complimentary, except the premium ones from the Connoisseur’s Wine List; The Grill implements the line’s interactive dining concept “Black Rock Grill Experience”, which allows guests to cook their own meat and seafood).
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
Silver Cloud onboard activities vary from language lessons and lectures to bridge and dance classes. Evening entertainment includes “The Artists of Silversea” troupe, performing from Beatles to opera. The Bar is the most popular spot, great to dance, too. Remember to try your chance at the tiny casino. Silver Cloud also offers an Internet cafe – 100 minutes online access will cost you $45; 1,000 minutes are $250. The well-stocked library offers books, DVD’s, and newspapers. Silver Cloud offers complimentary transportation in town in select ports, and occasionally gratis shoreside events.
Silver Cloud has two hot tubs and saltwater pool, as well as enough deck space for those who enjoy sun. Just above pool deck are the walking track and a gym with elliptical machines, free weights, treadmills, and yoga mats. A variety of fitness classes are offered daily. To pamper, there are full hair salon, with nail services, nine treatment rooms for rejuvenating fantasies. Try a Swedish or warm stone massage, an anti-aging facial, or reflexology. Each changing room has steam bath and sauna.
Follows the complete list of Silver Cloud lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- The Casino (with slot machines and gaming tables; served by The Bar)
- Boutique shops (both offer duty-free shopping: luxury jewelry and watches, brand perfumes, fashion, designer handbags, photo/video accessories, Silversea logo merchandise, special occasion gifts, convenience goods)
- The Bar (lounge with ample comfortable seating; offers live music performances, large dance floor, complimentary cocktails)
- Show Lounge (former Venetian Lounge - ship’s theater for live music and show productions; the daily enrichment program offers trivia games, dance classes, language lessons, lectures, media presentations)
- Conference Room (hosts group meetings and conferences; it is adjacent to the Card Room and the Internet Cafe)
- The Swimming Pool (with saltwater; heated during cool-weather cruises; the sunbathing area has teak chaise loungers, 2 whirlpools and tennis tables)
- Connoisseur’s Corner (formerly known as Humidor - ship’s smoking lounge furnished with leather armchairs and selling brand cognacs, vintage wines, fine cigars)
- Panorama Lounge (served by its own bar; offers live music and dancing, Continental Breakfast and Afternoon Tea)
- The Library (with audio listening stations and on-demand movies)
- The Spa at Silversea (features treatment rooms, and spa therapies including body wraps, massages and facials; sauna and steam rooms)
- Beauty Salon (provides a full range of services: hairstyling, manicures, pedicures)
- Fitness Centre (offers a treadmill, stationary bike, weight machine, elliptical trainer)
- Power Walking/Jogging Track, Golf Cage, paddle tennis, golf putting green
- The ship has a fleet of 18 Zodiacs (large-capacity inflatable boats) used for landings and shore explorations.
- Photo Studio (starboard on deck 5) is Silver Cloud ship exclusive venue designed via partnership with Galardi Media Network (Switzerland). The Studio is a workshop room fitted with latest technology equipment - PC and MAC computers, high-resolution printers (fee of charge / for creating postcards or frame-ready prints) , touch-screen interface. The workshop is led by a professional and provides practice with professional photo equipment - 6x HP Envy 27 computers; 6x iMac 27 computers, 4x Loupedeck consoles (Adobe Lightroom), 2x DNP photo printers, 2x Epson plotters, 3x Samsung 55 screens (4K), 1x Samsung 65 screen (4K). Additionally are offered 20-min private lessons.
In 2018, Silversea introduced the "My Photo Academy" classes on Antarctica cruises on Silver Cloud. The new classes are part of the company's onboard enrichment program The Academy, and are held at the "Photo Studio". Here passengers have the opportunity to improve their photo skills by learning how to take and edit photos like professionals. Among the covered topics are social media (uploading / sharing / Facebook-Instagram posting), introduction to photography, software lessons (Adobe Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop).
The new digital photography classes are offered both for groups and as private lessons. The Academy program offers various themed workshops for both beginners and professionals.
Silver Cloud wiki
- Cabin grades number: 7
- Total number of cabins: 151 (all of which Suites, 15 connecting, 2 wheelchair-accessible)
- Dining Rooms: "The Restaurant" MDR.
- Restaurants and food bars: Le Champagne (Wine restaurant), La Terrazza (Italian), Pool Bar & Grill.
- Lounges & Bars: The Bar, Connoisseur's Corner cigar bar, The Show Lounge (288 seats), Panorama (observation lounge), Card room/conference center, Internet cafe.
- The Spa at Silversea, Swimming pool, Jacuzzi (2), Gym Jogging track, Spa, sauna, Beauty Salon, Launderette, Shops, Casino, Library, Medical center, complimentary 24-hour Room Service, Internet/WiFi Access.
- Silver Cloud cruise ship's hull was constructed at the yard of Visentini (near Trieste, Italy), while the superstructure and final outfitting was done at the T. Marotti shipyard (Genoa, Italy). The ship has a twin-sister - Silver Wind, that entered service in 1995.
- Silver Cloud is an luxury cruise ship operated with all-inclusive deals. The ship has one of the best scores in terms of space-to-guest ratios (56,8), and also scores a very good guest-to crew ratio (1,3). All officers and crew members are European trained.
- The ship is at the same age as the owner Silversea company - headquartered in Monaco, and owned by the Lefebvre Family (Rome, Italy). Through the years, the Silversea cruise line succeeded on the tip luxury cruising market and enlarged its fleet with bigger ships.
- Silversea's "flight and cruise" package deals (by the line's Silver Sky programme) are inclusive of the luxury cruise fare, discount round-trip airfare (Economy Class) and airport-pier-airport transfers.
- Silversea's "hotel and cruise" package "Silver Shore Simply Hotel" offers overnight 5-star luxury hotel stays with the option of adding transfers or upgrades. The upgraded cruise and hotel package ("Silver Shore Grande Hotel") offers 1-3-nights landmark hotel stays (or at a boutique property), and is inclusive of private transfers (airport-hotel and hotel-pier).
- In August 2016 (during the Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro Brazil) the vessel was chartered as hotel ship (listed capacity 296 guests) for the USA's two basketball teams. For the 2016 Olympics' VIPs (organizers, committee members, sponsors, sports federations and other company representatives) was chartered as hotel ship NCL's Norwegian Getaway (listed capacity 4000 guests).
- In 2017, Silver Cloud was transferred to Silversea Expeditions fleet, joining Silver Explorer, Silver Galapagos and Silver Discoverer. The ship offers top-luxury small ship cruises to Antarctica and Arctic destinations.
The following table shows the ship's Inaugural Antarctica cruise (2018) from Argentina - 10 nights / 11 days, roundtrip from Ushuaia. Prices started from around USD 18500 pp (double occupancy rates).
|10 Jan||Departing from Ushuaia, Argentina|
|11-12 Jan||Drake Passage, Antarctica|
|13-14-15-16 Jan||Antarctic Peninsula, Antarctica|
|17 Jan||South Shetland Islands, Antarctica|
|18-19 Jan||Drake Passage, Antarctica|
|20 Jan||Arriving in Ushuaia, Argentina|
Next table shows the ship's Inaugural Arctic cruise (2018) from Norway - 12 nights / 13 days, from Longyearbyen (Spitsbergen Island, Arctic Norway) to Kristiansund. Prices started from around USD 11900 pp.
|25 Jun||Departing from Longyearbyen, Spitsbergen, Arctic Norway|
|26-27-28-29-30 Jun||Svalbard, Arctic Norway (Exploring)|
|01 Jul||Bjorkoya Island, Norway|
|02 Jul||Harstad, Hinnoya Island, Norway|
|03 Jul||Tysfjord, Kjopsvik, Norway|
|04 Jul||Norwegian Fjords|
|05 Jul||Vega Archipelago|
|06 Jul||Sunnfjord, Norway|
|06 Jul||Geiranger, Norway|
|07 Jul||Arriving in Kristiansund, Norway|
Silver Cloud - user reviews and comments
Photos of Silver CloudAdd Photo
Silver Cloud ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
Silversea released their new itineraries for 2020-2021, including the inaugural cruise of line's new ultra-luxury vessel, Silver Moon. Venetian...September 18, 2018
- Cruise Industry
In 2018, Silversea Cruises is inviting guests to spend the holiday season in all-inclusive luxury as they sail to discover the world’s wonders...August 18, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Luxury cruise line Silversea announced its new wine programme. Selected by company’s expert Wine Ambassador, Lawrence d’Almeida, nearly...August 6, 2018
- Cruise Industry
To celebrate the ten-year anniversary of its Silversea Expeditions, the cruise company of Silversea hosted industry partners, travel agents...June 5, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Luxury expedition cruise line Silversea introduced its brand new My Photo Academy on cruises to Antarctica onboard Silver Cloud, utilizing the vessel...February 2, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Silversea's newly refurbished Silver Cloud arrived in Antarctica after repairs in Puerto Madryn. Silver Cloud had to cancel its first expedition...December 9, 2017
Silversea’s Silver Cloud experienced a mechanical malfunction forcing the ship to cancel her inaugural cruise to Antarctica. The ship had to...November 23, 2017
- Cruise Industry
The luxurious Silver Cloud cruise ship, which offers Antarctic expeditions starting at EUR 14,000, sailed out of Palumbo Malta Shipyard following a...November 4, 2017
- Cruise Industry
Next year, Silversea Cruises begins to offer high-end land tours as pre- and post-cruise option. The "Couture Collection" of the cruise line will...October 14, 2017
- Cruise Industry
The U.S. Men's Basketball team, featuring NBA stars including Carmelo Anthony, Draymond Green, Kyrie Irving and Kevin Durant, will be...August 4, 2016
- show more news
Other Silversea Expeditions cruise ships
Silver Cloud Itineraries
The below listed Silver Cloud cruise prices on itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Silversea fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|Date||Cruise Name||Departure Port||Price from|
|2018 May 19||14 days, one-way from Dublin to London Greenwich||Dublin||$13800|
|2018 Jun 02||10 days, one-way from London Greenwich to Leith-Edinburgh||London Greenwich||$7425|
|2018 Jun 12||12 days, one-way from Leith-Edinburgh to Longyearbyen||Leith-Edinburgh||$15750|
|2018 Jun 24||12 days, one-way from Longyearbyen to Kristiansund||Longyearbyen||$18750|
|2018 Jul 06||12 days, one-way from Kristiansund to Longyearbyen||Kristiansund||$20700|
|2018 Jul 18||9 days, one-way from Longyearbyen to Tromso||Longyearbyen||$19800|
|2018 Jul 27||12 days, one-way from Tromso to Reykjavik||Tromso||$9112|
|2018 Aug 08||10 days, one-way from Reykjavik to Kangerlussuaq||Reykjavik||$18450|
|2018 Aug 18||16 days, round-trip Kangerlussuaq Round Trip||Kangerlussuaq||$22350|
|2018 Sep 03||15 days, one-way from Kangerlussuaq to St Johns||Kangerlussuaq||$18150|
|2018 Sep 18||9 days, round-trip St John's Round Trip||St Johns||$8250|
|2018 Oct 03||12 days, one-way from Nassau to Colon||Nassau||$6450|
|2018 Oct 15||11 days, one-way from Colon to Callao||Colon||$7500|
|2018 Oct 26||16 days, one-way from Callao to Punta Arenas||Callao||$9750|
|2018 Nov 11||11 days, one-way from Punta Arenas to Ushuaia||Punta Arenas||$19350|
|2018 Nov 22||10 days, round-trip Antarctica Expedition||Ushuaia||$16800|
|2018 Dec 02||10 days, round-trip Antarctica Expedition||Ushuaia||$14700|
|2018 Dec 12||10 days, round-trip Antarctica Expedition||Ushuaia||$14700|
|2018 Dec 22||15 days, round-trip Antarctica Expedition||Ushuaia||$31350|
|2019 Jan 06||10 days, round-trip Antarctica Expedition||Ushuaia||$16650|
|2019 Jan 16||10 days, round-trip Antarctica Expedition||Ushuaia||$16950|
|2019 Jan 26||10 days, round-trip Antarctica Expedition||Ushuaia||$15150|
|2019 Feb 05||10 days, round-trip Antarctica Expedition||Ushuaia||$15000|
|2019 Feb 15||10 days, round-trip Antarctica Expedition||Ushuaia||$12750|
|2019 Feb 25||10 days, round-trip Antarctica Expedition||Ushuaia||$13500|
|2019 Mar 07||21 days, one-way from Ushuaia to Cape Town||Ushuaia||$13200|
|2019 Mar 28||18 days, one-way from Cape Town to Tema Harbour||Cape Town||$12450|
|2019 Apr 15||16 days, one-way from Tema Harbour to Lisbon||Tema Harbour||$13350|
|2019 May 01||12 days, one-way from Lisbon to London Greenwich||Lisbon||$7200|
|2019 May 13||10 days, one-way from London Greenwich to Dublin||London Greenwich||$7200|
|2019 May 23||12 days, one-way from Dublin to London Greenwich||Dublin||$8700|
|2019 Jun 04||14 days, one-way from London Greenwich to Reykjavik||London Greenwich||$10350|
|2019 Jun 18||14 days, one-way from Reykjavik to Tromso||Reykjavik||$14700|
|2019 Jul 02||10 days, one-way from Tromso to Longyearbyen||Tromso||$10350|
|2019 Jul 12||10 days, one-way from Longyearbyen to Tromso||Longyearbyen||$10350|
|2019 Jul 22||14 days, one-way from Tromso to Reykjavik||Tromso||$13350|
|2019 Aug 05||9 days, round-trip Reykjavik to Reykjavik||Reykjavik||$8550|
|2019 Aug 14||13 days, one-way from Reykjavik to Kangerlussuaq||Reykjavik||$10384|
|2019 Aug 26||16 days, round-trip Kangerlussuaq Round Trip||Kangerlussuaq||$15750|
|2019 Sep 11||14 days, one-way from Kangerlussuaq to Quebec City||Kangerlussuaq||$9750|
|2019 Sep 25||16 days, one-way from Quebec City to Fort Lauderdale||Quebec City||$9300|
|2019 Oct 11||19 days, one-way from Fort Lauderdale to Callao||Fort Lauderdale||$9900|
|2019 Oct 30||25 days, one-way from Callao to Buenos Aires||Callao||$11400|
|2019 Nov 24||16 days, one-way from Buenos Aires to Ushuaia||Buenos Aires||$16650|
|2019 Dec 10||10 days, round-trip Antarctica Expedition||Ushuaia||$12900|
|2019 Dec 20||15 days, round-trip Antarctica Expedition||Ushuaia||$19950|
|2020 Jan 04||15 days, round-trip Antarctica Expedition||Ushuaia||$29181|
|2020 Jan 19||10 days, round-trip Antarctica Expedition||Ushuaia||$14434|
|2020 Jan 29||10 days, round-trip Antarctica Expedition||Ushuaia||$12462|
|2020 Feb 08||10 days, round-trip Antarctica Expedition||Ushuaia||$11734|
|2020 Feb 18||10 days, round-trip Antarctica Expedition||Ushuaia||$11734|