Specifications of Silver Ray
|Year built||2024 new ship|
|Builder||Meyer Werft (Papenburg, Germany)|
|Building cost||EUR 180 million (USD 205 million)|
|Speed||20 kn / 37 kph / 23 mph|
|Length (LOA)||244 m / 801 ft|
|Beam (width)||30 m / 98 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||54700 gt|
|Passengers||556 - 728|
|Decks with cabins||4|
|Owner||Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd (RCCL) & Lefebvre Family (Rome, Italy)|
|Operator||Silversea Cruises (via Silversea Expeditions)|
Silver Ray Review
Review of Silver Ray
The 2024-built MS Silver Ray cruise ship is the second in a series of two (EVOLUTION-class) ultra-luxury vessels constructed by Meyer Werft at its yard in Papenburg (Germany Lower Saxony). The first EVOLUTION ship (Silver Nova) was launched in 2022 and scheduled for inauguration in 2023 (July). Nova's sistership (Silver Ray) is currently on order and planned for completion and inauguration in 2024 (March).
Both EVOLUTION-class ships (Nova and Ray) are part of the Silversea Expeditions fleet.
Silver Ray is Silversea's 12th vessel.
History - construction and ownership
Silversea Cruises is a Monaco-based privately-owned cruise company and top-luxury travel brand. It was established in 1994 as joint venture of V-Ships Monaco (fka Vlasov Group) and Lefebvre Family of Rome Italy. In 2018, RCCL-Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd acquired 2/3rd of the company. Silversea now has a fleet of smaller-sized boutique vessels with passenger capacity between 100-700. The company's business model is to operate yacht-like vessels in the industry's ultra-luxury-all-suite ship category. Silversea's all-inclusive fares include beverages (also selected wines), gratuities (none are allowed), travel insurance, port charges, one or more shore excursions (per voyage).
Despite having ice-strengthened hulls, both EVOLUTION-Class units (Nova and Ray) are not expedition ships, but rather an enhanced version of Silversea's newest mega-yachts Silver Muse (2017), Silver Moon (2021), Silver Dawn (2022). The new class units are designed with max passenger capacity 728 (in addition to 560 crew/staff) and GT (gross tonnage/volume) 54700 tons.
Silver Ray is one of the industry's most spacious ships, featuring the Silversea fleet's highest space-to-passenger ratio 75 (enclosed space per passenger / ft3 to GT) and crew-to-passenger ratio 1:1,3.
On October 8, 2018, RCG-Royal Caribbean Group (shipowner and Silversea's parent company) announced shipbuilding agreements for 3 new boats for Silversea. The MoU (with Meyer Werft Germany) included two new-design (EVOLUTION Class) ships with first delivery planned for 2022. The 3rd contract was signed with Shipyard De Hoop (Holland) for building Silver Origin (100-passenger ship for Silversea's Galapagos program previously served by Silver Galapagos/sold in December 2020). Silver Origin entered service in May 2021 (originally planned for March 2020). The shipbuilding contracts were signed by Manfredi Lefebvre d'Ovidio (Silversea's Executive Chairman), Richard Fain (RCG's Chairman and CEO) and Tim Meyer (Meyer Werft's Managing Director/for the EVOLUTION ships) and Patrick Janssens (Shipyard De Hoop's CEO/for Silver Origin).
In October 2021 was announced that the EVOLUTION-class units will be hybrid-powered, using three different power sources - main engines (dual-fuel, running on both ULSD/ultra-low-sulfur diesel and LNG/liquefied natural gas) as well as two alternative power sources - fuel cells (hydrogen-based technology, max capacity 4 MW per boat) plus batteries (power storage system). Another innovation is the MAGS (Micro Auto Gasification System) for reducing onboard dry waste volumes, which results in lower incineration/CO emissions. These new maritime technologies allow ~40% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions in comparison to Silversea's previous ship class (Muse-Moon-Dawn).
As the boats are shoreside-power ready, while berthed in ports they can connect to the town's power grid (for the electricity needed for onboard operations) instead of running their own diesel generators.
Silversea's EVOLUTION ships are also designed to have an EEDI (Energy Efficiency Design Index for new ships) IMO rating of approx 1/4 better than IMO's (International Maritime Organization's) current requirements for this GT-tonnage. The EEDI index estimates the CO2 volume (grams of carbon dioxide) per tonne-mile, making it kinda a sustainable ("environmental cost") ratio.
Decks and Cabins
Silver Ray staterooms (363 total) are all outside (each with a step-out balcony) and all are in Suite categories (13x total). Cabin types include Otium, Owner, Grand, Master, Signature, Silver, Junior Grand, Premium Medallion, Medallion, Premium Veranda, Deluxe Veranda, Superior Veranda, Classic Veranda.
Cabin sizes range between 33 m2 (360 ft2) and 123 m2 (1325 ft2). All suites are with walk-in closets, large en-suite bathrooms (oversized LED mirror, 2-faucets vanity, walk-in shower, bathtub/whirlpool), spacious balconies, professional butler service. Other standard complimentary cabin amenities include Wi-Fi, refrigerator (fully stocked mini-bar), plush bathrobes and slippers, pillow menu, premium brand bath amenities, hairdryer, umbrella, smart UHDTV (interactive media library), USB charger ports (wall-mounted), direct-dial phone, Champagne bottle (upon arrival).
New for Silversea are Silver Ray's aft suites in categories "Otium" (the ship's largest) and "Signature".
The boat has 11 decks, of which 9 are passenger-accessible and 4 with cabins.
All decks are interconnected via 6 lifts/passenger elevators (3x forward-midship-portside and 3x aft-midship-starboard).
Shipboard facilities and amenities
In May 2022, Silversea announced several features of the newbuild, including the outward-facing, asymmetrical layout and new for the brand outdoor venues.
Pool Deck's main swimming pool (midship on deck 10) is the fleet's biggest (sized 130 m2 / 1400 ft2), with wider steps, a larger shallow water area (with underwater seats), spacious sundeck (sunbathing areas on decks 10-11, fitted with padded premium wood loungers and shaded seating) and served by The Pool Bar. On deck 11, The Cliff Whirlpool is an infinity-edge pool (glass-fronted) overlooking the portside.
On Deck 10 are positioned two new venues - The Marquee, and The Dusk Bar.
- The Marquee (capacity 220 seats/aft-portside) is an alfresco dining venue that incorporates Silversea's The Grill ("hot rocks" BBQ food) and Spaccanapoli (pizzeria). The Marquee serves casual food (throughout the day) as well as dinner.
- The Dusk Bar (capacity 70 seats/aft-wraparound) offers 270-degree stern views.
- Note: Hot Rocks (poolside restaurant) is an outdoor Steakhouse and Seafood restaurant for gourmet dining under the stars. This open-air grill venue implements Silversea's interactive dining concept "Black Rock Grill Experience". In the evenings, it allows passengers to cook their food (fresh seafood and prime steaks) on heated volcanic-rock plates at their own table. During the day, Hot Rocks serves as a rotisserie and gourmet salad and burger bar.
Atlantide (capacity 270 seats/Deck 3) is the ship's Main Dining Room and a reservations-only restaurant (steakhouse, seafood, bar & grill) that features designer seafood dishes and gourmet fish specialties (like royal crab, blue lobster, red snapper) and prime steaks. Food is price-inclusive, as well as all beverages (wines, spirits, bottled water, specialty coffees, juices, soft drinks). At extra cost are available top-shelf liquor brands (champagnes, spirits) and premium wines (ordered from an a la carte-priced menu).
La Terrazza (capacity 340 seats/aka Terrace Cafe/Deck 4 aft) is a complimentary buffet restaurant with indoor seating (floor-ceiling windows) and an alfresco terrace, interactive food stations (olive oil cellar, mozzarella bar, seafood bar, salumeria, Italian-style deli). Wine is also complimentary, but premium wines (from Connoisseur's Wine List) cost extra. Each evening (between 7-9:30 pm) La Terrazza transforms into an Italian specialty restaurant (reservations-only, with a la carte-priced menu). During the day, La Terrazza is also open for buffet-style breakfast and lunch. The Afternoon Tea service is also complimentary.
La Dame (capacity 70 seats/Deck 4 forward-portside) is an upscale French specialty restaurant where are served signature dishes by Relais Chateaux (chain of individually owned gourmet restaurants, boutique hotels, luxury resorts and villas). La Dame is dinner-only and the ship's only restaurant where dining is offered at an additional fee. Reservations are required. Excluding some premium alcohol brands (champagnes, wines, spirits), all other drinks are complimentary. Most food ingredients are locally sourced, and the dining experience includes unique food presentations.
SALT Kitchen (capacity 160 seats/Deck 3 starboard) is a complimentary dinner-only restaurant sized 315 m2 (3390 ft2). Standing for "Sea And Land Taste", Silversea's SALT culinary program was launched in 2019 and debuted in 2021 on Silver Moon. At SALT Kitchen, passengers can enjoy cruise itinerary-based (regions and ports) food specialties. The menu is rotating and changes daily. The venue comprises SALT Kitchen (restaurant), SALT Bar (beverages) and SALT Lab (test kitchen for cooking classes led by the ship's chefs as well as by celebrity chefs and authors). Silversea also offers SALT-themed shore excursions/land tours in most destinations.
Kaiseki (capacity 40 seats/Deck 4 midship) is a Japanese food bar that serves traditional cuisine specialties (including sushi) and beverages.
Silver Note (capacity 54 seats/Deck 5 midship-aft) is a premium bar lounge (1920s-themed jazz club) and a dinner-only restaurant. Sized 141 m2 (1515 ft2), Silver Note features premium leather furniture, a dance floor, a baby grand piano, live music performances (jazz and blues). Dishes are served in small plates (tapas-style). The cuisine is international, with themed food specialties. Silver Note is complimentary, but dinner reservations are required.
Arts Cafe (capacity 70 seats/Deck 4 midship) is a casual bar lounge serving complimentary snacks and beverages.
Silversea confirmed that both EVOLUTION-class boats (Nova and Ray) will operate polar voyages to ports and destinations in the Arctic (Europe, Russia, Canada) and Antarctica.
Details on Silver Ray's inaugural season (2024-2025 schedule) were announced in July 2022. The program starts on July 19, 2024, with the 11-day Maiden Voyage (Athens to Venice).
The ship operates in Europe/Mediterranean, the Caribbean, and South America, with Transatlantic voyages on seasonal relocation (RepositionCruises.com).
Next are listed the new ship's schedule (departure dates, ports, booking codes) between July 2024 and April 2025.
- (JUL 19-30, 2024) Inaugural Cruise from Piraeus-Athens GREECE to Venice ITALY, €8100, code RA240719011
- (JUL 30-AUG 6, 2024) 7-day roundtrip from Venice ITALY, €5000, code RA240730007
- (AUG 6-17, 2024) 11-day from Venice ITALY to Piraeus-Athens GREECE, €7800, code RA240806011
- (AUG 17-25, 2024) 8-day roundtrip from Piraeus-Athens GREECE, €5200, code RA240817008
- (AUG 25-SEP 5, 2024) 11-day from Piraeus-Athens GREECE to Venice ITALY, €7700, code RA240825011
- (SEP 5-12, 2024) 7-day roundtrip from Venice ITALY, €5000, code RA240905007
- (SEP 12-23, 2024) 11-day from Venice ITALY to Piraeus-Athens GREECE, €7800, code RA240912011
- (SEP 23-OCT 1, 2024) 8-day roundtrip from Piraeus-Athens GREECE, €5200, code RA240923008
- (OCT 1-12, 2024) 11-day roundtrip from Piraeus-Athens GREECE, €7700, code RA241001011
- (OCT 12-23, 2024) 11-day roundtrip from Piraeus-Athens GREECE, €7500, RA241012011
- (OCT 23-31, 2024) 8-day roundtrip from Piraeus-Athens GREECE, €5000, code RA241023008
- (OCT 31-NOV 12, 2024) 12-day from Piraeus-Athens GREECE to Civitavecchia-Rome ITALY, €7700, code RA241031012
- (NOV 12-23, 2024) 11-day from Civitavecchia-Rome ITALY to Barcelona SPAIN, €6600, code RA241112011
- (NOV 23-DEC 4, 2024) 11-day from Barcelona SPAIN to Lisbon PORTUGAL, €7000, code RA241123011
- (DEC 4-19, 2024) 15-day Transatlantic crossing from Lisbon PORTUGAL to Fort Lauderdale FLORIDA USA, €6200, code RA241204015
- (DEC 19, 2024-JAN 4, 2025) 16-day from Fort Lauderdale FLORIDA USA to Callao-Lima PERU, €9400, code RA241219016
- (JAN 4-20, 2025) 16-day from Callao-Lima PERU to Fort Lauderdale FLORIDA USA, €8500, code RA250104016
- (JAN 20-FEB 1, 2025) 12-day from Fort Lauderdale FLORIDA USA to Callao-Lima PERU, €8100, code RA250120012
- (FEB 1-21, 2025) 20-day from Callao-Lima PERU to Buenos Aires ARGENTINA, €14000, code RA250201020
- (FEB 21-APR 3, 2025) 10-day from Buenos Aires ARGENTINA to Rio de Janeiro BRAZIL, €7000, code RA250221010
- (MAR 3-23, 2025) 20-day from Rio de Janeiro BRAZIL to Bridgetown BARBADOS, €12500, code RA250303020
- (MAR 23-APR 1, 2025) 9-day from Bridgetown BARBADOS to Fort Lauderdale, €7200, code RA250323009
- (APR 1-15, 2025) 14-day Transatlantic crossing from Fort Lauderdale to Lisbon, €6200, code RA250401014
Note: The above prices are in EUR and per person (Veranda Suite rates with double occupancy).
Silver Ray - user reviews and comments
Silver Ray ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
The ultra-premium travel brand Silversea unveiled its new 2024-2025 collection, which comprises 341 new voyages that will unlock a total of 695...July 30, 2022
- Cruise Industry
Silversea Cruises unveiled the name of its first ship, Silver Nova, which is developed as part of the line's innovative newbuild project popular as...December 3, 2021
- Cruise Industry
Silversea's ‘Project Evolution’ is the first cruise ship to use fuel cells providing 100% of power...
The industry’s first hybrid-powered cruise ship is scheduled to debut in summer 2023 (Silver Nova) as part of the RCG-Royal Caribbean Group...October 23, 2021
- Cruise Industry
RCCL-Royal Caribbean (parent company of Silversea) announced shipbuilding agreements for 3 new vessels for RCCL's ultra-luxury brand...October 8, 2018
- show more news
Other Silversea Expeditions cruise ships
Silver Ray Wiki
The cruise ship's name (Silver Ray) was officially announced in July 2022, when Silversea unveiled voyage collection 2024-2025 (March 2024 through May 2025). The brochure reviewed the fleet deployment and listed 341 voyages visiting 695 destinations in 120 countries.
The Silversea ship's namesake is the 1999-built Vehicles Carrier "Silver Ray" (IMO 9181376) owned by LCI Shipholdings Inc (New Orleans Louisiana-based company specializing in cargo transportation services).
Silver Ray User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review