Review of AmaWaterways
Here we list all AMA river cruises as ship itineraries, destinations, and ports of departure. We have all AMAwaterways ships schedules (sail calendar with dates and prices PP). A special feature is our AmaWaterways cruise tracker integrated into each page. It shows on a map the riverboat's location now (current position on the river).
AMA River Cruises
AmaWaterways was founded in 2002 by three former river cruise executives - Kristin Karst, Jimmy Murphy, and Rudi Schreiner. The company operates cruise tours on 3 continents (Europe, Asia, Africa), providing over 30 unique itineraries. However, most AMA cruises are in Western Europe - on the rivers Rhine, Main, Mosel, Danube, and Rhone.
The company is headquartered in Chatsworth (California USA) and is a CLIA member (Cruise Lines International Association). AMAwaterways as a brand is represented on the UK and Australian markets by APT ("Australian Pacific Touring", river cruise tour operator) via the exclusive partnership APT-AmaWaterways Gmbh.
AmaWaterways cruises offer 9 to 27-days long voyages to popular tourism travel destinations and port towns in Holland, Belgium, Austria, Germany, France, Spain, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Hungary, Czech Republic, Serbia, Croatia, Romania, Bulgaria, Russia, China, Vietnam, and Cambodia. Many European cruise tour itineraries feature wine-themed activities and tours on the Rhine (Berg Rottland Winery at Rudesheim), Danube (Loisium Winery at Krems) and Moselle (Bergweiler Winery in Bernkastel).
AmaWaterways African cruise and safari program was introduced in 2012. It is based on Chobe River cruises in Botswana, with travel options to Kenya, South Africa, Tanzania, and Zimbabwe. Unlike other itineraries, it focuses on exotic wildlife with game viewing, fishing excursions, visits to local villages. Many tours are operated with smaller boats and also by vehicle.
CruiseMapper allows you to compare all AmaWaterways ships and their river routes, homeports, call ports and destinations. You can also track current itineraries and itinerary changes by year. AMA's cruising experience features:
- Huge variety of itineraries - ranging from 7 to 27 days in length, also featuring "wine-themed" cruise tours (Bergweiler Winery (Bernkastel, on Moselle River), Loisium Winery (Krems, on the Danube), Berg Rottland Winery (Rudesheim on Rhine). On your Ama itinerary, you'll enjoy visiting magnificent cities and historic places, castles and fortresses, and all the amazing scenery.
- Operational destinations and countries include some of the world’s most remarkable inland waterways in Europe (Austria-Belgium-Bulgaria-Croatia-Czech Republic-France-Germany-Holland-Hungary-Luxembourg-Romania-Serbia-Spain-Switzerland) in Asia (Cambodia-Russia-Vietnam-China). In 2012 was introduced "African River Cruise and Safari" program on Chobe River (running through South Africa-Botswana-Kenya-Zimbabwe-Tanzania).
- Convenience - Ama ships always dock in the heart of river towns and cities or by magnificent castles and other local landmarks.
- AMA ships provide complimentary 5-star luxury hotel amenities, exquisite staterooms with French Balconies, Twin-Balcony rooms, a variety of indoor and outdoor dining venues, heated sundeck swimming pools, attentive and highly personalized service, high staff-to-guest ratios, contemporary designs of public spaces, elegant venues.
- Gourmet cuisine and premium (open-seating) dining experiences include daily buffet breakfast, special selections of European wines (complimentary with lunch and dinner), cocktail reception and welcome dinner (on embarkation day).
In May 2017 started the construction of Europe's largest river cruise ship - AmaMagna. Boat's launch was scheduled for 2019.
As of 2019, AmaWaterways has a fleet of 25 riverboats, including 3 newbuilds scheduled for launches in 2019 (AmaMagna, AmaMora, AmaDouro). AmaLea was inaugurated in 2018. In 2020 will be inaugurated AmaSiena.
The new AmaMagna is truly unique by design river vessel, featuring multiple dining venues (Main Restaurant, Chef’s Table, Al Fresco Restaurant, Jimmy’s Wine Bar), huge wellness complex, aft-located marina (watersports platform).
- The boat has double-size (compared to traditional European river cruisers), but capacity to accommodate just 1/5 more passengers (98 staterooms for 196 pax), which means more personal space. Due to its dimensions (length 135 m, width 22 m), AmaMagna can navigate only on Danube River.
- Cabins are generously sized between 355-710 ft2 (33-66 m2). All cabins are appointed with natural wood fixtures. All suites are with large step-out balconies, double-sink bathrooms, walk-in showers. Grand Suites are 2-room cabins with bathrooms fitted with bathtubs.
- Zen Wellness Studio has a large exercise area for group classes (stretching, cardio-core strengthening), juice bar, 2 massage rooms, Beauty Salon (manicure, pedicure, hairdresser). TOnboard fitness program is led by a professional trainer.
- Sun Deck features a large heated swimming pool, large whirlpool, Sky Bar.
- The shipboard entertainment program is enhanced. The boat also introduced the company's new Concierge Golf Program, which allows passengers to play at 4 top-class golf courses in Germany, Austria, Hungary, and Slovakia.
Itinerary of AmaWaterways
AmaWaterways itinerary program is focused mostly on the European waterways, offering cruises on the rivers Rhine, Rhone, Danube, Douro, Seine, Main, and Mosel. The line operates a fully-owned fleet of river cruise ships but also uses boat charterers for operating remote destinations. South America, Africa, and Asia AMA river cruises (in Russia, Vietnam, and Cambodia) are operated mostly through leased vessels.
AmaWaterways revealed its expanded list of exotic itineraries in Vietnam & Cambodia, providing vacationers with more options to experience Southeast Asia. In 2019 passengers have the flexibility to sail the Mekong River for 7 nights upstream/downstream aboard AmaDara and extend their cruise by adding a choice of pre-/post-cruise land programs. AmaWaterways 2019 Asia itineraries include:
- 15-night cruise & land program: 2 nights in Ho Chi Minh City, 7-night cruise, 2 nights in Siem Reap, 3 nights in Hanoi and 1 night in Ha Long Bay.
- 10-night cruise & land program: 7-night cruise from Ho Chi Minh followed by 3 nights in Siem Reap.
Riches of Mekong (Downstream) 7-night cruise from Siem Reap to Ho Chi Minh
- 15-night cruise & land program: 2 nights in Hanoi, 1 night in Ha Long Bay, 3 nights in Siem Reap, 7-night cruise and 2 nights in Ho Chi Minh.
- 10-night cruise & land program: 3 nights in Siem Reap followed by a 7-night cruise to Ho Chi Minh.
AmaWaterways lineup of 2019-2020 Africa Safaris & Wildlife Cruises includes a number of returning favorites and a brand new 4-night post-cruise Rwanda extension. The all-suite, all-balcony 28-passenger RV Zambezi Queen takes her guests down Chobe River to pamper with up-close wildlife viewing. New to African itineraries is the land extension in Rwanda, that can be added to any of the itineraries. During the extensions, passengers will visit Kigali and Volcanoes National Park, home to rare golden monkeys and mountain gorillas. The itineraries include:
- Discover Africa (3 nights in Cape Town plus a 4-night wildlife cruise and 2 nights in Victoria Falls);
- Wildlife & the Falls (1 night in Johannesburg, a 4-night wildlife cruise, 2 nights in Victoria Falls, 2 nights in Johannesburg, 2 nights at a luxury safari lodge, Greater Kruger National Park);
- Stars of South Africa (3 nights in Cape Town, a 4-night wildlife cruise, 2 nights in Victoria Falls, 2 nights in Johannesburg and 3 nights at luxury safari lodge, Greater Kruger National Park);
- Rivers & Rails of Africa (3 nights in Cape Town, a 4-night wildlife cruise, 2 nights in Victoria Falls, 3-night Rovos Rail train journey Victoria Falls-Pretoria);
- Golden Trails of East Africa (1 night in Johannesburg, a 4-night wildlife cruise and 2 nights in Victoria Falls, 2 nights in Johannesburg and 7 nights in luxury safari lodges).
AmaWaterways and Backroads, both leaders in the active river cruise segment, announced the lineup of over 120 Rhine, Seine, Danube and Douro departures in 2019-2020, including 9 full-ship charters and select cruises onboard line's innovative newbuild, AmaMagna. Marking their 4th year of partnership, the two companies are also revealing select “expanded capacity” cruises, which bring together over 60 fellow Backroads cycling enthusiasts aboard a single vessel, providing for more riding companions and bigger active community.
2020 is expected to feature a total of 73 departures with 6 full-ship departures and additional itineraries on AmaMagna. The full-ship charter (Full Ship Celebration River Cruise) now offers 2 departures on Danube and 1 on the Douro in 2019 (including departures for Older Teens, 20s, and Families), and 3 on Danube and 3 on the Douro in 2020. During these voyages, between 100-150 fellow biking enthusiasts come together on one of the world's biggest active group tours. Every Backroads trip offers traditional Backroads adventures, including 4 or more expert Trip Leaders onboard and onshore, dedicated and support vans as well as innovative itineraries with a choice of walking and cycling routes for all abilities. Bike tours feature custom-designed titanium bikes (complimentary bicycles stored on the ship's Sun Deck) for various rider types: touring, electric-assist and performance, and include GPS routes.
AmaWaterways introduced its 2020 Europe, Asia & Africa Extensive Brochure in August 2019. After a record-breaking year, the cruise line continues to innovate with another newbuild, AmaSiena, together with the addition of new land extensions and unique itineraries, such as an itinerary specifically curated for AmaMagna. In July 2020, AmaWaterways is expected to expand its fleet with the addition of the line's 24th ship, the 156-passenger AmaSiena. Due to sail along the Rhine, Moselle and Main rivers, AmaSiena offers plenty of space for passengers to unwind. Sistership to AmaMora (2019), AmaLea (2018), and AmaKristina (2017), Siena features the signature twin-balcony staterooms of AmaWaterways, a choice of dining venues like the intimate Chef’s Table, a Sun Deck walking track, a fitness room, and a pool with swim-up bar.
In 2020, AmaWaterways offers new opportunities for guests to explore the breathtaking sceneries, culinary delights, and historical landmarks, along some of the most beautiful European rivers with the addition of 3 new itineraries, including:
- A 7-night Magna on the Danube, designed for the revolutionary AmaMagna, that made her debut in 2019.
- A 7-night Treasures of the Main & Rhine on AmaDante and AmaSiena from Nuremberg to Amsterdam.
- A Vineyards of the Rhine & Moselle itinerary on board AmaDante and AmaSiena sailing from Amsterdam to Luxembourg.
To meet the increasing demand for its Specialty Wine Cruises, the company has announced over 65 hosted wine-themed voyages for 2020, including voyages on the new AmaMagna on the Danube, Treasures of Main & Rhine and Vineyards of Rhine & Moselle itineraries.
AmaWaterways enhanced its pre- and post-cruise land programs, offering immersive experiences escorted by its Cruise Managers and accommodations in top-rated hotels.
The line's new 2020 land extensions include:
- Nice, France – Available on the Colors of Provence & Spain itinerary, a new 3-night land extension in Nice is offered as an alternative to a 3-night land extension in Barcelona.
- Bangkok, Thailand – Available on the Charms of the Mekong and Riches of the Mekong itineraries
- Istanbul, Turkey – Available on Grand Danube and Gems of Southeast Europe itineraries, a new 3-night land extension in Istanbul is offered as an alternative to a 4-night land extension in Brasov and Bucharest.
Note: In November 2016, AmaWaterways officially announced its plans to launch a new riverboat, purposefully built to cruise in India. Cruising operations start in 2019. The decision was based on demand from the company's repeat customers willing to travel in new regions, to new destinations, and on exotic itineraries. The company probably will add itineraries on Red River in Vietnam too. In brackets is shown the boat's launch year.
- AmaBella (launched 2010) - Danube River - Belgium, Holland, Austria, Czech Republic, Hungary, Germany, Slovakia
- AmaCello (2008) - Rhine River - France, Germany, Switzerland, Holland
- AmaCerto (2012) - Danube and Rhine Rivers - France, Germany, Switzerland, Holland, Austria, Hungary, Slovakia, Bulgaria, Serbia, Czech Republic, Croatia, Romania, Slovakia, Turkey
- AmaDagio (2006) - Rhone River cruises in France
- AmaDante (2008) - Danube River
- AmaDara (2015) - Mekong River cruises in Vietnam and Cambodia
- AmaDolce (2009) - the Rhine, Main, Mosel and Danube Rivers - Belgium, Holland, France, Germany, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Luxembourg, Austria, Hungary, Slovakia
- AmaKristina (2016) - Rhine (between Amsterdam and Zurich
- AmaLea (2018) - Danube (between Budapest and Prague or Munich), Rhine (Tulip Time Cruise from Amsterdam)
- AmaLegro (2007) - Seine and Rhone cruises in France, also with departures from Spain
- AmaLotus (2011) - Mekong River cruises in Cambodia and Vietnam
- AmaLyra (2009) - Main, Mosel, Rhine and Danube Rivers - France, Luxembourg, Germany, Holland, Czech Republic, Austria, Hungary, Slovakia
- AmaMagna (2019) - Danube River - this is the largest European river cruise ship
- AmaMora (2019) - Rhine (between Amsterdam and Zurich)
- AmaPrima (2013) - Danube, Rhine and Main Rivers - France, Germany, Belgium, Holland, Austria, Hungary, Slovakia, Switzerland, Bulgaria, Croatia, Romania, Czech Republic, Serbia, Turkey
- AmaPura (2014) - Asia (Irrawaddy River cruises in Myanmar/Burma) leaving from Rangoon
- AmaReina (2014) - Rhine River - France, Germany, Switzerland, Holland
- AmaSerena (2015) - Rhine and Rhine, Main and Danube - France, Switzerland, Holland, Germany, Austria, Hungary, Slovakia, Czech Republic
- AmaSiena (2020) - Rhine River - France, Germany, Holland, Switzerland
- AmaSonata (2014) - Danube River - Austria, Holland, Germany, Belgium, Hungary, Slovakia, Czech Republic
- AmaStella (2016) - Danube (between Budapest and Prague or Munich)
- AmaVerde (2011) - Danube River - Austria, Germany, Hungary, Czech Republic, Slovakia
- AmaVida (2013) and AmaDouro (2019)- Douro River cruise in Portugal and Spain
- AmaViola (2016) - Danube River
- AmaVenita (2015) - Rhine, Main, Danube
- RV Samatha and RV Princess Panhwar (2016) - Asia (Irrawaddy River cruises in Myanmar/Burma) leaving from homeports Rangoon and Mandalay
- Zambezi Queen (houseboat) (launched 2009) - under charter for Chobe River cruises in Botswana (departures from South Africa, Kenya, Tanzania, Zimbabwe)
- Century Legend and Century Paragon offer Yangtze River cruises in China. Both ships are privately-owned and operated by Viking under a charter. These riverboats are also chartered by other major European lines, like Avalon, Viking, and Uniworld.
The following YouTube video provides a review of the experience on AMA river cruises in Europe. Next YouTube video reviews the AMAwaterways cruises in Asia - Vietnam (Mekong River) itineraries.
AmaWaterways cruise tracker
Our AmaWaterways river cruise ship tracker is a function integrated into all our ship review pages. At page-bottom in each page, you'll find a map with the boat's current location (AIS position). All the real-time tracking data is provided by VesselFinder. It's all about convenience - you will find where is your AmaWaterways ship cruising today and right now - along with its current itinerary, in real time!
Enjoy the "AMA luxury" cruising on your AmaWaterways vacations!
Note: You can see the CruiseMapper's list of all river cruise ships and riverboats in the "itinerary" section of our River Cruises hub. All river passenger shipping line companies and their fleets are listed there.
AmaWaterways related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
Adventures by Disney announced a collaboration with D23 on a Rhine River Cruise. The all-inclusive sailing takes guests through 4 European countries...August 26, 2019
- Cruise Industry
AmaWaterways introduced its 2020 Europe, Asia & Africa Extensive Brochure. After a record-breaking year in 2019, the cruise line continues to...August 23, 2019
- Cruise Industry
The award-winning luxury river cruise line AmaWaterways celebrated on Friday, July 19, the christening of its newest riverboat, AmaMora (156...July 19, 2019
- Cruise Industry
AmaWaterways christened its revolutionary newbuild riverboat - AmaMagna - in Grein, Austria on Thursday, July 11. The official ceremony saw...July 12, 2019
- Cruise Industry
Completing its inaugural season, AmaWaterways celebrated the debut of company's newest riverboat - AmaMora - on Rhine River on June 3...June 8, 2019
- Cruise Industry
AmaWaterways released the first internal images of the line's revolutionary new riverboat - AmaMagna, on her inaugural cruise from Vilshofen to...May 9, 2019
More than 3,000 litres of diesel fuel have been accidentally spilt into Rhine River by an AmaWaterways passenger ship in Rudesheim in the late...May 2, 2019
- Cruise Industry
AmaWaterways officially christened its newest river ship, AmaDouro, with a ceremony in Porto on April 12. The christening ceremony was the final...April 14, 2019
- Cruise Industry
AmaWaterways confirmed it will add a newbuild riverboat to its fleet in Europe on July 1, 2020 - AmaSiena. The 156-passenger ship will sail...April 9, 2019
- Cruise Industry
AmaWaterways released new video of company's innovative AmaMagna on the final leg of boat's sea-to-river conveyance, sailing back to Danube River for...February 25, 2019
- show more news