Phoenix Reisen fleet
Review of Phoenix Reisen
CruiseMapper provides all current Phoenix Reisen Cruises ships schedule, itineraries information (itinerary changes, news) and cruise prices comparison. Phoenix Reisen is a travel agency based in Bonn Germany, which also operates a fleet of cruise vessels under a charter. The itineraries offered by Phoenix Reisen are designed for Germans and are not very popular outside the German-speaking market.
Phoenix Reisen cruise company was established by Johannes Zurnieden in November 1973. Zurnieden, who was just 23 years old then, is still involved as managing director in the day-to-day business. The first trips of the travel company began in 1974 to destinations like Budapest, Prague, and Istanbul.
In 1988 the company entered cruise business under its own brand by the 20-year charter agreement on the Soviet Union cruise ship SS Maxim Gorkiy (owned by Black Sea Shipping Company based in Odessa, former Hamburg Grande Dame on the high seas). Instead of being repainted in the colors of Phoenix Reisen, the ship kept sailing in BLASCO livery and kept the Soviet Union symbol of hammer and chisel at the funnel. After two decades of service, Maxim Gorkiy left Phoenix Reisen fleet at the end of November 2008 and was later scrapped.
In 1993, a second vessel joined Phoenix Reisen fleet. SS Albatros was chartered from V-Ships and Phoenix Reisen applied to the new vessel their house colors. Albatros received a turquoise funnel with a flying albatross as a logo, as well as a turquoise-colored band at her hull.
The purchase of Artemis (renamed Artania) from P&O Cruises marks a further step forward for the Phoenix Reisen fleet. What began with Maxim Gorky became a success story continuing to this day. Now ms Albatros, ms Amadea and ms Artania visit global ports. The most-popular summer destinations are Baltic Sea and North Sea. During winter, the ocean-going ships cruise to ports in Africa, to Antarctica or on Around The World voyages.
In its history, Phoenix Reisen has kept the charm of a family travel brand. The fleetwide‘non-smoking bonus is Zurnieden’s personal imprint on the company. The bonus is distributed to all employees every month since April 2006. All non-smoking staff, those who have never smoked or have given up smoking receive in addition to their salary EUR 200 monthly salary bonus. As a result, company's Bonn-based staff consists almost entirely of non-smokers.
An interesting fact is that in 2013, Johannes Zurnieden offered a travel voucher for EUR 5000 to the first person to hand over an issue of the first Phoenix Reisen cruise brochure (printed in 1974) as it was lost from company’s archives. The reward was widely advertised and received huge media coverage in Germany. Anyone presenting additional copies was rewarded with travel vouchers for EUR 100.
In July 2018, Phoenix Reisen purchased from Holland America the liner MS Prinsendam, starting operations for the company on July 1, 2019 (under the new name "MS Amera") and officially christened in Bremerhaven on August 16. In 2019 was also acquired the Red Cross Ship "MS Henry Dunant". The former hospital ship started operations for Phoenix Reisen in June 2019 under the name MS Viola.
Itinerary of Phoenix Reisen
The current Phoenix Reisen ocean fleet includes the liners:
- ms Albatros (1973) in the fleet since 2004
- ms Amadea (1991) in the fleet since 2006
- ms Artania (1984) in the fleet since 2011
- ms Amera (1988 / ex MS Prinsendam / Holland America) in the fleet since 2019
- MS Deutschland (1998) is chartered during the summer months only. The ship offers round-trip cruises from Bremerhaven (Germany) to ports in Norway (Norwegian Fjords, North Cape, Spitsbergen), Scandinavia and Russia, UK, Iceland, and Greenland.
Phoenix Reisen river cruise ships
In 1993, the company expanded its passenger shipping operations by adding cruisetours on European river routes.
The current Phoenix Reisen river fleet includes the boats:
- newbuild riverboats - MS Adora (2019), MS Alena (2018), MS Asara (2017), MS Anesha (2015), MS Amelia (2012), MS Ariana (2012), MS Alina (2011)
- In 2019 was purchased the former hospital ship MS Viola (1995-built and previously named "MS Henry Dunant"). The riverboat is homeported in Bonn Germany and operates itineraries on Rhine and Maas rivers.
- chartered riverboats in Asia - RV Charaidew 2, RV Lan Diep, RV Paukan 2007, RV Rajmahal, Century Sky (China)
- chartered riverboats in Europe - MS Aurelia, Amadeus Diamond, Swiss Gloria, MS Magellan, MS Princess, MS Calypso, Rhein Prinzessin, MS Switzerland, MS Mecklenburg, MS Saxonia
- chartered riverboats in Russia - Anna Katharina, Alexander Borodin, Dnieper Princess, Sergei Rachmaninov
Phoenix Reisen related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
After 6 weeks at Blohm + Voss shipyards in Hamburg, Germany, ms Amera left drydock to join the fleet of Phoenix Reisen. Within the transformations...August 17, 2019
- Cruise Industry
Holland America announced that its ms Prinsendam had been sold and leaves the fleet on July 1, 2019 to become part of the German cruise line Phoenix...July 3, 2018
- show more news