Artania Review and Specifications
Specifications of Artania
|Year built||1984 / Age : 34|
|Builder||Wartsila Hietalahti shipyard (Helsinki, Finland)|
|Building cost||USD 165 million|
|Owner||Artania Shipping Company GmbH|
|Operator||Phoenix Reisen GmbH|
|Speed||22 kn / 41 kph / 25 mph|
|Length (LOA)||230 m / 755 ft|
|Beam (width)||29 m / 95 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||44656 gt|
|Passengers||1188 - 1260|
|Decks with cabins||8|
|Former names||Royal Princess, MS Artemis|
|Christened by||Diana Princess of Wales|
Current itinerary of Artania
Artania current cruise is 7 days, round-trip Kurzurlaub in Skandinavien. Prices start from USD 899 (double occupancy rates). The itinerary starts on 16 Sep, 2018 and ends on 23 Sep, 2018.
|Date / Time||Port|
|16 Sep||Departing from Hamburg, Germany|
|18 Sep 08:00 - 14:00||Haugesund, Norway|
|19 Sep 08:00 - 12:00||Molde, Norway|
|19 Sep 15:00 - 21:00||Andalsnes, Norway|
|20 Sep 07:00 - 08:00||Alesund, Norway|
|20 Sep 13:00 - 18:00||Geiranger, Norway|
|21 Sep 09:00 - 20:00||Bergen, Norway|
|23 Sep||Arriving in Hamburg, Germany|
Review of Artania
History - construction & ownership
Phoenix Reisen cruise company began operating cruises under its own brand in 1988. It was then when the firm chartered the West German-built cruise vessel SS Maxim Gorkiy from the Soviet Union-based Black Sea Shipping Company on a twenty-year charter contract. In 1993 a second vessel joined the Phoenix Reisen fleet - SS Albatros was chartered from V-Ships. Unlike the Maxim Gorkiy, that retained the colours of her owners in Phoenix service, the Albatros cruise ship was painted in Phoenix Reisen's own colours with a turquoise funnel displaying the company logo.
The 44,656-ton, 1,200-passenger cruise ship Artania was built in 1984 (in Helsinki) as the MS Royal Princess for Princess Cruises, and christened by Lady Diana. She was transferred to P&O Cruises fleet in 2005 and renamed Artemis. The ship sailed with P&O Cruises until Apr 2011, when she was moved to the fleet of Phoenix Reisen as Artania.
At the time she was launched, Artania was the most innovative vessel in the world introducing public space on the lower decks with blocks of staterooms over them. This made her the first cruise vessel with all outside rooms and the first one to secure standard cabins with balconies. The vessel is kid-free.
Cruise itinerary program
Artania itinerary program is based on Norwegian Fjords, Icealnd-Greenland and Baltic Sea cruises leaving from Kiel and Bremerhaven, Germany. The ship cruises to the Mediterranean and Canary Islands, and also in the Caribbean, Asia, Australia and New Zealand.
Artania has 8 passenger decks. The cabin grades number is 27, with a total number of cabins 600, including 152 Balcony rooms. All staterooms on board ms Artania are exterior cabins and half of them are Suites or Junior Suites with private balconies. The smallest cabins are 16m², and the Royal Suite is 50m². All rooms are equipped with individually controllable air-conditioning, sat-TV, radio, telephone, safe, fridge/mini-bar, shower/bath tub and hairdryer.
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
MS Artania has two Dining Rooms: Four Seasons and Artania. There are two different breakfast seatings offered, lunch is served buffet-style and dinner is a-la-carte. After-dinner snacks are also served, as well as coffee during evening hours. The dining venues' menu is international, and might or might not include some local kitchen. Other options include Lido Buffet with outdoor seating. The ship also features Panorama Lounge (Pazifik), Sun Deck Lounge, Phoenix Lounge, Casablanca Lounge, Lido Bar, Kopernikus Bar, Phoenix bar, Bodega Bar, Harry’s.
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
MS Artania has went through a variety of modernizations since she sails for Phoenix Reisen. Though built in 1984, she’s still modern and beautiful. Her classic stern with calm shielded places to sit and the promenade deck are very popular features of the unique Artania ship.
The only language used officially on ms Artania is German, and therefore most of the passengers are from German speaking countries. There is usually personnel who speaks English, but no services in English (tours, menus, etc.) are provided. It’s strongly recommended to know a bit of German if you decide to travel on MS Artania.
MS Artania entertainment options include: Wellness Area, Fitness Center, Beauty Salon, Amadea Spa, sauna, steam bath, table tennis, shuffleboard, Sport Deck, whirlpool, Artania pool, Kopernikus pool, all-around promenade, Phoenix counter, Library/Internet club, cinema, Theater, Disco, Photo Gallery.
- Cabin grades number: 27
- Total number of cabins: 600 (all Outside, 152 Balcony, 4 cabins for disabled)
- Dining Rooms: Four Seasons, Artania (equivalent, 900 seats).
- Restaurants and food bars: Lido Buffet (outdoor dining, 280-seat).
- Lounges & Bars: Panorama Lounge (Pazifik), Phoenix Lounge, Sun Deck Lounge, Casablanca Lounge, Kopernikus Bar, Lido Bar, Phoenix bar, Bodega Bar, Harry's, Atlantik Show Lounge, Jamaika Club (Internet), lobby.
- Wellness Area, Artania Spa, Fitness Center, Beauty Salon, sauna, steam bath, Sport Deck, shuffleboard, whirlpool, Artania pool, Kopernikus pool, all-around promenade, Boutique, Phoenix counter, Photo Gallery, Library/Internet club, Theater, Disco, cinema.
- MV Artania cruise ship was built built in Helsinki Finland for Princess Cruises as Royal Princess and chirstened on November 15, 1984 by HRH Diana Princess of Wales, in Southampton England.
- In April 2005, the vessel was transferred to the fleet of P&O Cruises UK and renamed "ms Artemis". On September 22, 2009, it was announced that the ship had been sold to the Artania Shipping Company, but continued sailing for P&O UK. This is a privately owned vessel (asset of Artania Shipping Company), currently operated under time charter by Phoenix Reisen GmbH (major German travel agency and tour operator company).
- On April 22, 2011, the ship was renamed "Artania" and chartered to Phoenix Reisen. In 2014, Artania was fitted with Wartsila marine diesel engines and an auxiliary generator during the refurbishment at Lloyd Werft (Bremerhaven Germany). The ship's 3-week drydock refurbishment in 2017 (December 1-21, at Lloyd Werft Bremerhaven) cost Phoenix Reisen EUR 16 million. Drydock works included spa renovations, outdoor deck areas (new coverings), stateroom upgrades (bathrooms were updated with new bathtubs and showers), public rooms renovations (Harry’s Bar, Atlantik Show Lounge). Technical updates included new sewage plant, new ballast water treatment plant, new tenders.
- At the time of her launch in 1984, the ship was the world's most innovative, with public areas on lower decks and blocks of cabins above. It was the first cruise vessel with all outside cabins (oceanview categories), as well as the first to provide standard/cheap staterooms with private balconies.
- In 2010, the British captain of mv Artemis, Sarah Breton, became the second female captain in the world, following the Swedish Karin Stahre Janson (ms Monarch, 2007).
- German is the only language that is officially used on board. This is why most Phoenix Reisen cruise passengers are from German speaking countries (Germany, Austria, Belgium, Switzerland). There is personnel speaking English, but no services in English are provided.
Artania - user reviews and comments
Photos of ArtaniaAdd Photo
Other Phoenix Reisen cruise ships
The below listed Artania cruise prices on itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Phoenix Reisen fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|Date||Cruise Name||Departure Port||Price from|
|2018 Jul 08||17 days, round-trip Island - Spitzbergen - Norwegen||Bremerhaven|
|2018 Jul 25||14 days, round-trip Rund um Grosbritannien||Bremerhaven|
|2018 Aug 08||14 days, round-trip Naturwunder Norwegen - Ganz intensiv||Bremerhaven|
|2018 Aug 22||16 days, round-trip Traumhafte Norwegen und Spitzbergen-Tour||Bremerhaven|
|2018 Sep 07||8 days, one-way from Bremerhaven to Hamburg||Bremerhaven|
|2018 Sep 16||7 days, round-trip Kurzurlaub in Skandinavien||Hamburg||$899|
|2018 Sep 23||5 days, round-trip Kurzurlaub in Skandinavien||Hamburg||$499|
|2018 Sep 28||18 days, one-way from Hamburg to Genoa||Hamburg|
|2018 Oct 16||12 days, round-trip Westliches Mittelmeer mit Atlantik-Abstecher||Genoa|
|2018 Oct 28||17 days, one-way from Genoa to Venice||Genoa|
|2018 Nov 14||10 days, one-way from Venice to Genoa||Venice||$999|
|2018 Nov 24||28 days, round-trip Grose Kanaren- & Kapverden-Reise||Genoa|
|2018 Nov 24||11 days, one-way from Genoa to Santa Cruz de Tenerife||Genoa|
|2018 Dec 06||16 days, one-way from Santa Cruz de Tenerife to Genoa||Santa Cruz de Tenerife|
|2018 Dec 22||116 days, one-way from Genoa to Marseille||Genoa|
|2018 Dec 22||44 days, one-way from Genoa to Puerto Vallarta||Genoa|
|2018 Dec 22||25 days, one-way from Genoa to Progreso||Genoa|
|2018 Dec 27||20 days, one-way from Funchal to Progreso||Funchal|
|2019 Jan 16||19 days, one-way from Progreso to Puerto Vallarta||Progreso|
|2019 Feb 04||25 days, one-way from Puerto Vallarta to Callao||Puerto Vallarta|
|2019 Mar 01||21 days, one-way from Callao to Buenos Aires||Callao|
|2019 Mar 23||25 days, one-way from Buenos Aires to Marseille||Buenos Aires|
|2019 Apr 17||11 days, one-way from Marseille to Trieste||Marseille|
|2019 Apr 28||18 days, one-way from Trieste to Bremerhaven||Trieste|
|2019 May 16||8 days, round-trip Fjorde, Schareninseln und schmucke Kustenorte||Bremerhaven||$799|
|2019 May 24||8 days, round-trip Fjorde, Schareninseln und schmucke Kustenorte||Bremerhaven||$799|
|2019 Jun 01||12 days, round-trip An Pfingsten rund um Grosbritannien||Bremerhaven|
|2019 Jun 13||7 days, round-trip Erlebnis Fjordnorwegen||Bremerhaven||$699|
|2019 Jun 20||3 days, one-way from Bremerhaven to Kiel||Bremerhaven||$399|
|2019 Jun 24||15 days, round-trip Ostsee intensiv mit Kieler Woche||Kiel|
|2019 Jul 09||13 days, one-way from Kiel to Bremerhaven||Kiel|
|2019 Jul 22||13 days, round-trip Norwegens Traumkusten und Fjorde||Bremerhaven|
|2019 Aug 04||15 days, round-trip Norwegens Natur uber den Polarkreis nach Spitzbergen||Bremerhaven|
|2019 Aug 19||14 days, round-trip Die grose Reise rund um Grosbritannien||Bremerhaven|
|2019 Sep 02||8 days, round-trip Fjorde, Schareninseln und schmucke Kustenorte||Bremerhaven||$799|
|2019 Sep 10||7 days, round-trip Erlebnis Fjordnorwegen||Bremerhaven||$699|
|2019 Sep 17||7 days, round-trip Erlebnis Fjordnorwegen||Bremerhaven||$599|
|2019 Sep 24||15 days, round-trip Sonnige Aussichten an Westeuropas schonsten Kusten||Bremerhaven|
|2019 Oct 09||17 days, one-way from Bremerhaven to Malaga||Bremerhaven|
|2019 Oct 26||22 days, one-way from Malaga to Hamburg||Malaga|
|2019 Dec 21||25 days, one-way from Hamburg to Cape Town||Hamburg|
|2020 Jan 16||13 days, one-way from Cape Town to Port Louis||Cape Town|
|2020 Jan 30||21 days, one-way from Port Louis to Singapore||Port Louis|
|2020 Feb 20||21 days, one-way from Singapore to Sydney||Singapore|
|2020 Mar 13||28 days, one-way from Sydney to Callao||Sydney|
|2020 Apr 10||29 days, one-way from Callao to Bremerhaven||Callao|