Marella Cruises fleet
Review of Marella Cruises
Marella Cruises (renamed in 2018 from "Thomson Cruises") is a "TUI Group"-owned and "TUI UK and ireland"-operated British cruise line, that offers low-price voyages in Europe, Caribbean and Asia. The company's older vessels are chartered from Holland America Line and Celestyal Cruises. Marella's new fleet consists of TUI-owned ships formerly owned and operated by Royal Caribbean and TUI Cruises.
Initially, the Thomson Cruises company started operations in 1973, but due to rising fuel costs its passenger shipping operations were terminated in 1976. Thomson restarted cruise shipping in 1995. Marella Cruises has its own unique place in the British cruise market as division of the UK's largest tour operator and travel agency Thomson Holidays. Establishment in 1965, the company now has its own airlines and travel agencies.
Two Greek ocean liners were chartered by Thomson in 1973, but the company failed to capture audience, like other cruise lines of the 70s. Operations restarted in 1995 after Thomson Cruises chartered the tiny Sapphire ship from Louis Cruise Lines. Soon the company chartered other ships, among which Island Breeze owned by Premier Cruises, Topaz and Emerald.
Thomson Cruises aimed an effect on the British market just like Carnival did in the United States. Package holidays had already been very popular in the United Kingdom, and the company wanted the same for cruising. Despite the aging ships, Thomson cruises attracted an ever-increasing number of Britons- first-time cruisers with attractive fares and presence of company’s travel agencies across Britain.
- In the 1990s Thomson Cruises began working as budget cruise operator and improved its product becoming more successful in cruise industry by improving amenities, ships and service and introducing a wider range of itineraries.
- Royal Caribbean sold its stake in Island Cruises to TUI Travel (Thomson Cruises’ parent company) in 2008. In 2009 Island Star left the fleet and joined the Spanish brand of Royal Caribbean - Pullmantur.
- Island Escape joined Thomson fleet in 2009 and continued to offer informal cruises to the U.K. market. The latest addition to the fleet is Thomson Dream. The vessel joined in spring 2010 from Costa Cruises.
- In March 2015, Royal Caribbean International (RCI) announced they had agreed to sell Splendour of the Seas to TUI in the second quarter of 2016. TUI would lease the vessel to Thomson Cruises in order to replace Island Escape.
- In May 2015, TUI Group announced plans for Mein Schiff 1 and Mein Schiff 2 (now Mein Schiff Herz) to be transferred to Thomson over the next few years. Shiff 1 (renamed Marella Explorer) entered Marella's fleet in 2017. In October 2015, Thomson's Island Cruises brand was discontinued after its only ship MS Island Escape (now Ocean Gala) completed its last voyage with Thomson.
- For FY2017, company's turnover was GBP 502 million, with EBITA (earnings-before-interest-taxes-depreciation-amortization) GBP 86.5 million and total number of served passengers 308,000 (101,7% occupancy).
- In March 2018, TUI Group announced that to Marella's fleet will be added Marella Explorer 2 (formerly SkySea Golden Era, initially Celebrity Century), with scheduled delivery in December 2018. The liner was previously operated by SkySea Cruise Line - Asian joint venture company (owned by RCCL-Royal Caribbean and Ctrip International). SkySea was the first contemporary brand developed for the Chinese market. Operational between May 2015 - September 2018, the new cruise line handled nearly 300 voyages and around 0,5 million passengers.
Marella "cruise and stay" holiday package deals include hotel or apartment at the beginning or at the end of the voyage.
Onboard cuisine offers everything you can think about - from healthy options to exotic local specialties and culinary choices on offer. Daytime entertainment with Marella cruises is great for all members of the family. There are also different activities for children onboard and special children’s menu for junior diners. You can relax each evening in the wide range of bars and lounges or enjoy first class entertainment with singers and comedians.
Marella fly-cruise deals from UK to Caribbean are served by regional Thomson Airways flights from UK airports (Cardiff, Doncaster Sheffield, East Midlands, Glasgow, Newcastle, Stansted, Birmingham, Manchester, London-Gatwick). Flights are to company's Caribbean homeports Bridgetown Barbados and Montego Bay Jamaica.
On select cruises, Marella offers free all-inclusive upgrades on fleet's older liners. The new vessels (Marella Discovery and Marella Discovery 2) offered these all-inclusive packages as standard fare inclusion. Since summer 2019, TUI's Marella brand operates with all-inclusive cruise deals fleetwide.
Itinerary of Marella Cruises
With a large selection of destinations and itineraries, Marella Cruises may show you the whole world. With a variety of UK cruises with departures from Southampton, Newcastle and Harwich; cruise and fly holidays from a large number of airports (available departures from over twenty UK airports), Marella Cruises sail in the Red Sea and Canary Islands during winter, the Mediterranean in summer. There are about a hundred different destinations to explore aboard Marella ships.
Marella cruise itinerary changes
- Marella Celebration (1984, former ms Noordam and Thomson Celebration) joined the fleet in 2005. During summer, the ship operates Adriatic Sea cruises leaving round-trip from Dubrovnik Croatia. During winter it offers Persian Gulf cruises from Dubai. For summer 2018, the ship was relocated to homeport Dubrovnik for an adults-only cruise program with full day port stayss in Bar, Korcula, Zadar, Venice, Trieste, Split. The ship also introduced 2 new 7-day itineraries, themed "Sail Three Seas" (Valletta Malta, Messina Sicily, Cephalonia Island, Igoumenitsa, Kotor) and "Greek Mystique" (Chania Crete, Piraeus-Athens, Kalamata, Corfu Island, Kotor).
- Marella Dream (1986, former MS Homeric, ms Westerdam, ms Costa Europa and Thomson Dream), joined the fleet in 2010. During summer, the ship offers Eastern Mediterranean cruises leaving round-trip from Corfu Greece. During winter it offers Caribbean cruises leaving round-trip from Jamaica (Montego Bay).
- Thomson Majesty (1992) joined the fleet in 2012. The operated year-roundtrips to Madeira and Canary Islands with departures from Tenerife and Gran Canaria. In 2018, the ship was sold to Mano Cruises and now operates as Princess Iris.
- Thomson Spirit (1983, former ms Nieuw Amsterdam, ms Patriot, ms Spirit), joined the fleet in 2003. The ship offers year-round European itineraries - Western Mediterranean cruises from Malaga and round-trip Madeira and Canary Islands cruises with departures from Tenerife and Gran Canaria. Thomson Spirit's last cruise for Marella is scheduled for October 21, 2018.
- Marella Discovery (1996, former Royal Caribbean ship "Splendour of the Seas" and Thomson Discovery), joined the fleet in 2016. The ship offers year-round Western Mediterranean leaving roundtrip from Palma de Mallorca. Discovery moved to her new homeport Newcastle from May 2018. The ship has a scheduled visit to the Norwegian fjords and major cities including Stockholm, Tallinn, and Reykjavik. Passengers on the Baltic voyages enjoy an overnight stay in Saint Petersburg. In September 2018, Marella Discovery is homeported in Southampton for Baltic Sea itineraries.
- Marella Discovery 2 (1995, former Legend of the Seas / Royal Caribbean and TUI Discovery 2), joined the fleet in Spring 2017. The ship operates Mediterranean cruises (leaving from Malaga Spain) and Canary Islands cruises (out of Tenerife to ports in Canaries, Morocco and Madeira). For summer 2018 the ship is homeported in Corfu Greece for roundtrips to Greek Isles, Turkey and ports in Adriatic Sea (Dalmatian Coast).
- Marella Explorer (1996, formerly Mein Schiff 1, initially Celebrity Galaxy) started operations in 2018, with 7-day Western Mediterranean cruises leaving roundtrip from homeport Palma De Mallorca Spain and visiting popular French Riviera ports in France.
- Marella Explorer 2 (1995, formerly SkySea Golden Era, initially Celebrity Century) starts operations in April 2019 with 7-day Mediterranean itineraries leaving roundtrip from homeport Naples (Italy). For winter 2019-2020, the ship will be deployed to Caribbean and homeported in Bridgetown (Barbados).
Marella cruises to Cuba from Jamaica
Marella Cruises offers Cuba cruises with round-trip departures from Jamaica (Montego Bay) on the ship Marella Dream. Itineraries started in 2017. The first cruise was on January 31 (7-night / 8-day to Grand Cayman Island, Havana Cuba, and Cozumel Mexico).
The current list of passenger shipping lines offering cruises to Cuba includes:
- Carnival Paradise leaving from Tampa Florida - cheapest prices (from USD 480 pp)
- MSC Cruises (ship MSC Opera, leaving from Havana)
- Holland America (ship Veendam) leaving from Fort Lauderdale since December 2017
- Oceania Cruises (ships Marina and Regatta) starting in 2017, Cuba circumnavigation, stops in Cienfuegos and Havana, also part of some Panama Canal transition itineraries.
- NCL (ship Norwegian Sky, 4-day itineraries with Havana overnights - starting May 2017.
- Azamara Cruises (ship on Azamara Quest from Miami)
- Compagnie du Ponant (yacht Le Ponant, leaving from Miami Florida)
- Pearl Seas Cruises (ship Pearl Mist, leaving from Fort Lauderdale Florida)
- Lindblad Expeditions (chartered sailing ship MS Panorama II, leaving from Havana)
- Celestyal Cruises (ship Celestyal Crystal, leaving from Havana and Montego Bay Jamaica)
- Grand Circle Cruise Line (ship MV Clio / ex Tere Moana) one-way from Miami to Havana, or the reverse from Havana to Miami (embarkation/disembarkation in port Cienfuegos).
- International Expeditions (leaving from Havana, charter flights out of Miami)
- Victory Cruise Lines - MS Victory I (former MS Saint Laurent) - fly-cruises from Miami to Havana (home-port Cienfuegos /departures)
- Note: According to the current Cuban law, US citizens of Cuban origin (born in Cuba) are not allowed to visit the island country (including on cruise ships). Regardless of their US citizenship status, Cuban-born Americans were denied booking on cruise itineraries visiting ports in Cuba. However, the situation changed in April 2016, after Carnival Corporation negotiated with the Cuban government for allowing ships with Cuban-born passengers, as such US citizens are allowed to visit the country on USA-Cuba charter flights. The Carnival-fathom line started Miami to Cuba cruises in May 2016.
- Alaska Airlines offers regular nonstop flights to Havana from Los Angeles (California USA). An 80-min ling JetBlue flight from Fort Lauderdale (Florida) to Havana costs less than USD 100. Previously, air travel from USA to Cuba was thought charter flights only.
Marella Cruises related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
Port of Southampton was voted the best UK port in British Cruise Awards 2018. The award, which was sponsored by Marella Cruises, was presented by...September 8, 2018
- Cruise Industry
SkySea Cruise Line, owned by Ctrip and Royal Caribbean, sailed its final voyage this weekend. The two companies unveiled plans to shut down the...September 4, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Marella Cruises officially welcomed Marella Explorer during a christening ceremony at Port of Palma in Majorca on May 17. Formerly sailing as Mein...May 18, 2018
Marella Discovery 2 has been disabled after engine failure, while sailing in Guidecca Canal, Venice historic center, close to Doge’s Palace and...May 16, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Ahead of Marella Cruises introducing its new flagship, Marella Explorer, managing director Chris Hackney revealed why Explorer’s launch...May 13, 2018
Balearic Islands Port Authority has dispatched emergency services to the waters off its coast because of a Marella Cruises ship spilling oil into the...May 2, 2018
- Cruise Industry
TUI Cruises’ Mein Schiff 1 entered dry dock in Cadiz to begin her transformation into the new Marella Cruises’ 1,924-passenger ship...April 20, 2018
- Cruise Industry
The Executive Board of TUI Group has decided to increase TUI Cruises' capacities. Because of the continued increase in demand, the group has...March 21, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Royal Caribbean and Ctrip announced that they were ending operations for SkySea Cruise Line later in 2018. SkySea Cruise Line was the first smart...March 20, 2018
TUI's UK cruise brand Marella Cruises told hundreds of passengers booked on a Transatlantic crossing in April (repositioning cruise from Jamaica...February 15, 2018
- show more news