ms Westerdam Review and Specifications
Specifications of ms Westerdam
|Year built||2004 / Age : 14|
|Builder||Fincantieri (Marghera, Italy)|
|Building cost||USD 430 million|
|Owner||Carnival Corporation & PLC|
|Operator||Holland America Line|
|Speed||22 kn / 41 kph / 25 mph|
|Length (LOA)||290 m / 951 ft|
|Beam (width)||32 m / 105 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||82348 gt|
|Passengers||1968 - 2362|
|Decks with cabins||7|
|Christened by||Renee Soutendijk|
Current itinerary of ms Westerdam
ms Westerdam current cruise is 29 days, one-way from Shanghai to Singapore. The itinerary starts on 29 Oct, 2018 and ends on 27 Nov, 2018.
|Date / Time||Port|
|29 Oct||Departing from Shanghai, China|
|01 Nov 08:00 - 17:00||Sakaiminato, Japan|
|02 Nov 10:00 - 20:00||Nagasaki, Japan|
|04 Nov 06:00 - 17:00||Naha, Okinawa Island, Japan|
|05 Nov 11:00 - 18:00||Ishigaki Island, Japan|
|06 Nov 08:00||Keelung, Taipei, Taiwan|
|08 Nov 08:00 - 17:00||Kaohsiung, Taiwan|
|10 Nov 08:00 - 18:00||Manila, Luzon Island, Philippines|
|12 Nov 08:00 - 23:00||Hong Kong, China|
|14 Nov 08:00 - 17:00||Sanya, China|
|15 Nov 08:00 - 23:00||Halong Bay, Vietnam|
|17 Nov 07:00 - 18:00||Da Nang, Hue, Vietnam|
|19 Nov 08:00 - 16:00||Nha Trang, Vietnam|
|20 Nov 08:00 - 23:00||Phu My, Ho Chi Minh City-Saigon, Vietnam|
|22 Nov 06:00 - 18:00||Sihanoukville, Cambodia|
|23 Nov 10:00||Laem Chabang, Bangkok, Thailand|
|25 Nov 08:00 - 15:00||Koh Samui Island, Thailand|
|27 Nov 07:00||Arriving in Singapore|
Review of ms Westerdam
History - construction and ownership
Holland America Line (HAL) is a Seattle-based cruise company owned by Carnival Corporation (shipowner). Between 1873-1989, HAL was a Dutch cargo and passenger shipping company operating regular Transatlantic crossings between Holland and the Americas. HAL was founded in 1873 as "Dutch-American Steamship Company" headquartered in Rotterdam Netherlands. In 1989, HAL was acquired by Carnival Corporation for around EUR 530 million. Among company's assets are the Westmark hotel chain (Alaska-Yukon), Worldwide Shore Services (warehouses-logistics) and Half Moon Cay (Caribbean private island).
The 82,348-ton, 1,494-passenger cruise ship ms Westerdam balances the duty to honor cruise traditions with adding just enough advanced conveniences to keep things stylish and modern, with comfortable dining venues, various onboard facilities, larger-than-average cabins, and, most of all, with the gentle service of ship's crew members. Westerdam's restaurants provide an option of traditional seating scenarios as well as open, more versatile ones. Passengers might still learn how to mix a martini cocktail or create a flower arrangement, but they might also take computer classes which range from an introduction to e-mail to editing digital photography. Cruisers might watch a chef (the vessel's or an expert from Holland America Line's Food & Wine Magazine partnership) represent a recipe, or they might take part in small group clusters which actually get to make fantastic Food Network-like Culinary Arts Center cuisine.
Cruise itinerary program
MS Westerdam itinerary program is based on Alaska cruises from Seattle WA in the summer. The ship also offers Eastern Caribbean voyages from Fort Lauderdale and Panama Canal transits on repositioning.
In the period September 2018 through April 2019, the ship is deployed in Asia for a total of 10 itineraries ranging 10-31 days and visiting China, Japan, Korea, Russia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Taiwan, Vietnam. Asian season starts with 14-day Pacific crossing from Vancouver to Yokohama Japan.
Back-to-back cruises can be booked as longer "Collectors Voyage". Combining 2 B2B itineraries, "Asia Collectors Voyages" range between 23-31 days. "Grand Asia Voyage" (82-day Pacific circumnavigation) departs September 30, 2018 as a roundtrip from LA with all 33 port calls and 6 overnights.
MS Westerdam has a total number of 961 cabins (of which 162 Suites, 479 Balcony, 154 Inside rooms) in 30 grades. Most ms Westerdam staterooms are 210-360-sq.foot balcony rooms. Nearly 70% of ship's accommodations have private balcony views. 28 are the wheelchair accessible rooms. The largest aboard ms Westerdam are the Pinnacle Suites (1000 ft2).
Implemented fleetwide in 2019, "Club Orange" program provides exclusive amenities to Suite passengers booked in categories Neptune and Pinnacle. Bonus perks by this program include:
- priority services (check-in, disembarkation, tendering, dining reservations)
- 24-hour concierge service (assistance, information, reservations)
- exclusive dining venue (serving complimentary Pinnacle Grill breakfast and Dining Room dinner, plus exclusive dishes)
- dedicated Concierge Desk (Guest Services and Tours)
- room service (a la carte breakfast menu with complimentary gourmet dishes - including smoked salmon, steak and eggs)
- sparkling wine (embarkation day), Club Orange tote bag, premium bathrobes (cabin use, available for monogramming and purchasing).
- Club Orange Restaurant is part of the Main Dining Room (designed as separate VIP dining section).
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
Westerdam's Vista Dining Room is a 2-deck venue at the aft end of the vessel. One deck is allocated for the guests who choose conventional fixed-seating dining and the other for open seating (passengers can either make a reservation or simply walk in). For those who prefer to be seated at small or large tables should use the reservation system. Three themed teas - Cupcake, Indonesian and Royal Dutch - are served once during a sailing. Holland America's Lido buffet rates among the best organized at sea. Open for breakfast, lunch, dinner and late night snacks, the spot is in bright, jazzy colors with seating in the main pool area under magradome cover and on the adjacent aft deck. Food is arranged in themed stations that serve up sandwiches made to order, salads, pizza, sushi, stir fries and typical hot fare. Thus, you don't have to wait behind a passenger picking through the salad bar if you want to move on to the meat station.
Follows the complete list of ms Westerdam restaurants and food bars.
- Pinnacle Grill (148-seat reservations-only seafood/steakhouse restaurant with fine wines selection; free for passengers under 12 yo). The venue transforms into “An Evening at le Cirque” once per cruise via partnership with NYC “Le Cirque” French restaurant.
- Vista Restaurant (1120-seat, aft Dining Room; features open seating Breakfast and Lunch, two Dinner options – 2 fixed seatings or “Any Time” dining between 5:15 p.m. - 9 p.m.)
- Terrace Grill (fast food pool bar; complimentary)
- Lido Restaurant (420-seat complimentary buffet restaurant; offers self-service Breakfast 6:00 a.m. -11 a.m., Lunch 11:30 p.m. - 2 p.m., Afternoon Tea, and Dinner 5:30 p.m. - 8 p.m.)
- Canaletto Restaurant (Lido Restaurant annex; operates as Italian restaurant for Dinner, reservations required)
- Slice (poolside Pizzeria, complimentary).
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
The Queen's Lounge, which is an alternative lounge/theater on Vista Class ships, had a makeover and was transformed into The Culinary Arts Center by day, featuring permanent cooking and viewing equipment to instruct guests on the preparation of various dishes. The Culinary Arts Center is operated via partnership with Food & Wine magazine and offers wine tastings ($15), cocktail tastings and mixology classes, as well as cooking, cake decorating, garnishing and flower arranging classes. The Queen's Lounge offers musical performances with B.B. King's Blues Club experience for five nights per week. The Digital Workshop, powered by Microsoft, is a dedicated computing education venue, with two rows of computers fronting a big, wall-mounted monitor hooked into the computer of the instructor, to graphically demonstrate each step. Other amenities include: complimentary 24-Hour Room-Service, Supervised Kids Program ("Club Hal"), cruise ship weddings, Internet/WiFi Access, Laundry/Self-Serve Laundromats.
Follows the complete list of ms Westerdam lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Atrium (3-deck high midship open-floor area with live performances)
- Vista Lounge (846-seat theater/main show lounge; also serves Holland America’s enrichment program (via partnership with BBC Earth)
- Piano Bar; Sports Bar; Pinnacle Bar (38-seat wine bar); Ocean Bar (Atrium bar and lounge, with dance floor and stage for live performances)
- Northern Lights Disco & Nightclub
- Queen’s Lounge & Culinary Arts Centre (with live band entertainment, cooking shows, culinary classes; via partnership with “Food & Wine Magazine”)
- Explorer’s Lounge & Bar (lounge with bar; classical concert performances)
- Meeting Rooms (Hudson, Half Moon, Stuyvesant)
- Photo Gallery & Shop; Art Gallery
- Casino (served by Casino Bar and Sports Bar)
- Screening Room (40-seat indoor cinema); Erasmus Room (24-seat library)
- Atrium Shops (boutiques for duty-free tobaccos and liquor, perfumes, watches, clothing, HAL logo merchandise, souvenirs); Marabella Luxury Shop
- Explorations Cafe (specialty coffee bar and patisserie; also serves as ship’s Library and Online Centre/Internet computers room)
- Neptune Lounge (club venue for Deluxe Suite and Pinnacle guests only)
- Fitness Center (gym with separate Aerobics Room); 5 jacuzzis
- Greenhouse Spa & Salon; Lido Pool area, served by Lido Bar and Terrace Grill; Sea View Pool area served by Sea View Bar; The Retreat (adults-only)
- Crow’s Nest (observation lounge; bar and dance floor; becomes disco at night)
- Sport Court (basketball, volleyball, soccer); Promenade Deck, Walking Track
- Club HAL (kids lounge, complimentary youth programming)
- The Loft (teens club lounge area, with Video Games Arcade, computers, PlayStations; teen disco).
ms Westerdam wiki
- During a major refit in 2007, Holland America Westerdam ship was stretched by adding a 130 ft / 40 m long midsection.
- One of the HAL's 4 "compass ships", ms Westerdam cruise ship is the line's 2nd Vista-class vessel (name's meaning is "West" in Dutch). Her sisters are the Holland America ships Noordam, Oosterdam, Zuiderdam.
- The ship's Maiden Voyage was on April 25, 2004, godmother - Renee Soutendijk (actress). The ship's interior design theme is Dutch exploration - numerous sculptures, statues and paintings of famous Dutch ships. In its Atrium area, Westerdam has a cut-glass Dutch sailing ship sculpture. This HAL ship's art collection includes many pre-Columbian artifacts (including 5000-year-old carved figures imported from Ecuador), and also many contemporary artists signature sculptures and paintings. During its 2007 extensive refurbishment 34 cabins were added, and major refits were done to several public areas.
- ms Westerdam is the HAL's 3rd vessel with this name. The 1st ship was in service for the line 1946-1965 (scrapped in Spain). Curious facts about this one - it was combined cargo-passenger vessel (with numerous first-class cabins), and she was sunk 3 times (during WWII, before her maiden voyage in 1946) - in 1942 (by Allied forces), and in 1944 and 1945 (by the Dutch resistance). MS Westerdam I operated Transatlantic crossings monthly (between Rotterdam and NYC). The second Westerdam ship was launched 1986 under the name Homeric (Home Lines), HAL acquired it in 1988, and next year the ship underwent a major refit (was lengthened by 130 ft / 39,6 m). After 13 years in HAL service, in 2002 this vessel was transferred to Costa Cruises (renamed Costa Europa), then leased to Thomson UK (Marella Cruises) as Marella Dream.
- (May 10, 2011 accident - hull damage) While sailing in Alaska (Yakutat Bay) the ship struck ice - the hull damage was 15 ft (4,6 m) below waterline, no injuries were reported.
ms Westerdam - user reviews and comments
Photos of ms WesterdamAdd Photo
ms Westerdam ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
Holland America Line’s ms Westerdam will be sailing to the Far East between September 2018-April 2019. There will be a total of 10 different...July 21, 2018
A 69-year-old cruise passenger of a Holland America Line cruise ship was lost overboard at Glacier Bay National Park in Alaska. The park announced...July 15, 2018
- show more news
Other Holland America cruise ships
ms Westerdam Itineraries
The below listed ms Westerdam cruise prices on itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Holland America fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|Date||Cruise Name||Departure Port||Price from|
|2018 Oct 15||28 days, one-way from Yokohama to Hong Kong||Yokohama|
|2018 Oct 29||29 days, one-way from Shanghai to Singapore||Shanghai|
|2018 Oct 29||14 days, one-way from Shanghai to Hong Kong||Shanghai|
|2018 Nov 12||15 days, one-way from Hong Kong to Singapore||Hong Kong|
|2018 Nov 27||23 days, one-way from Singapore to Hong Kong||Singapore||$1819|
|2018 Nov 27||13 days, one-way from Singapore to Hong Kong||Singapore||$999|
|2018 Dec 10||23 days, one-way from Hong Kong to Singapore||Hong Kong||$1999|
|2018 Dec 10||10 days, round-trip East Asia||Hong Kong||$899|
|2018 Dec 20||13 days, one-way from Hong Kong to Singapore||Hong Kong||$1199|
|2019 Jan 02||15 days, round-trip Thailand & Vietnam||Singapore||$899|
|2019 Jan 17||31 days, one-way from Singapore to Shanghai||Singapore||$2659|
|2019 Jan 17||16 days, one-way from Singapore to Hong Kong||Singapore||$1599|
|2019 Feb 02||29 days, one-way from Hong Kong to Shanghai||Hong Kong||$2099|
|2019 Feb 02||15 days, one-way from Hong Kong to Shanghai||Hong Kong||$1199|
|2019 Feb 17||28 days, one-way from Shanghai to Hong Kong||Shanghai||$2839|
|2019 Feb 17||14 days, round-trip China, South Korea & Japan||Shanghai||$1149|
|2019 Mar 03||28 days, one-way from Shanghai to Yokohama||Shanghai||$4099|
|2019 Mar 03||14 days, one-way from Shanghai to Hong Kong||Shanghai||$1799|
|2019 Mar 17||28 days, one-way from Hong Kong to Yokohama||Hong Kong||$4039|
|2019 Mar 17||14 days, one-way from Hong Kong to Yokohama||Hong Kong||$2099|
|2019 Mar 31||28 days, round-trip Japan Explorer & Russia Collector||Yokohama||$8269|
|2019 Mar 31||14 days, round-trip Japan Explorer||Yokohama||$2849|
|2019 Apr 14||28 days, one-way from Yokohama to Vancouver||Yokohama||$5849|
|2019 Apr 14||14 days, round-trip Japan & Russia||Yokohama||$4799|
|2019 Apr 28||14 days, one-way from Yokohama to Vancouver||Yokohama||$1379|
|2019 May 12||7 days, round-trip All Star Irish Cruise Alaska 2019||Vancouver|
|2019 May 19||7 days, one-way from Vancouver to Seward||Vancouver||$1049|
|2019 May 26||7 days, one-way from Seward to Vancouver||Seward||$979|
|2019 Jun 02||7 days, one-way from Vancouver to Seward||Vancouver||$1099|
|2019 Jun 09||7 days, one-way from Seward to Vancouver||Seward||$999|
|2019 Jun 16||7 days, one-way from Vancouver to Seward||Vancouver||$1149|
|2019 Jun 23||7 days, one-way from Seward to Vancouver||Seward||$1249|
|2019 Jun 30||7 days, one-way from Vancouver to Seward||Vancouver||$1299|
|2019 Jul 07||7 days, one-way from Seward to Vancouver||Seward||$1199|
|2019 Jul 14||7 days, one-way from Vancouver to Seward||Vancouver||$1099|
|2019 Jul 21||7 days, one-way from Seward to Vancouver||Seward||$1199|
|2019 Jul 28||7 days, one-way from Vancouver to Seward||Vancouver||$1249|
|2019 Aug 04||7 days, one-way from Seward to Vancouver||Seward||$1199|
|2019 Aug 11||7 days, one-way from Vancouver to Seward||Vancouver||$1099|
|2019 Aug 18||7 days, one-way from Seward to Vancouver||Seward||$1199|
|2019 Aug 25||7 days, one-way from Vancouver to Seward||Vancouver||$1499|
|2019 Sep 01||7 days, one-way from Seward to Vancouver||Seward||$1049|
|2019 Sep 08||7 days, one-way from Vancouver to Seward||Vancouver||$949|
|2019 Sep 15||7 days, one-way from Seward to Vancouver||Seward||$1049|
|2019 Sep 22||7 days, round-trip Alaskan Inside Passage||Vancouver||$1149|
|2019 Sep 29||27 days, one-way from Vancouver to Shanghai||Vancouver||$3749|
|2019 Sep 29||14 days, one-way from Vancouver to Yokohama||Vancouver||$1599|
|2019 Oct 13||27 days, one-way from Yokohama to Hong Kong||Yokohama||$4419|
|2019 Oct 13||13 days, one-way from Yokohama to Shanghai||Yokohama||$2349|
|2019 Oct 26||28 days, one-way from Shanghai to Singapore||Shanghai||$4369|
|2019 Oct 26||14 days, one-way from Shanghai to Hong Kong||Shanghai||$2299|
|2019 Nov 09||14 days, one-way from Hong Kong to Singapore||Hong Kong||$2299|
|2019 Nov 23||28 days, one-way from Singapore to Hong Kong||Singapore||$3679|
|2019 Nov 23||14 days, one-way from Singapore to Hong Kong||Singapore||$2049|
|2019 Dec 07||28 days, one-way from Hong Kong to Singapore||Hong Kong||$4059|
|2019 Dec 07||14 days, round-trip East Asia||Hong Kong||$1819|
|2019 Dec 21||14 days, one-way from Hong Kong to Singapore||Hong Kong||$2499|
|2020 Jan 16||30 days, one-way from Singapore to Shanghai||Singapore||$4519|
|2020 Jan 16||15 days, one-way from Singapore to Hong Kong||Singapore||$2499|
|2020 Feb 01||28 days, one-way from Hong Kong to Shanghai||Hong Kong||$4229|
|2020 Feb 01||14 days, one-way from Hong Kong to Shanghai||Hong Kong||$2249|
|2020 Feb 15||28 days, one-way from Shanghai to Hong Kong||Shanghai||$4219|
|2020 Feb 15||14 days, round-trip China, South Korea & Japan||Shanghai||$2199|
|2020 Feb 29||28 days, one-way from Shanghai to Yokohama||Shanghai||$4349|
|2020 Feb 29||14 days, one-way from Shanghai to Hong Kong||Shanghai||$2239|
|2020 Mar 14||28 days, one-way from Hong Kong to Yokohama||Hong Kong||$4529|
|2020 Mar 14||14 days, one-way from Hong Kong to Yokohama||Hong Kong||$2339|
|2020 Mar 28||28 days, round-trip Japan Explorer & Russia Collector||Yokohama||$4869|
|2020 Mar 28||14 days, round-trip Japan Explorer||Yokohama||$2419|
|2020 Apr 11||29 days, one-way from Yokohama to Vancouver||Yokohama||$4869|
|2020 Apr 11||14 days, round-trip Japan & Russia||Yokohama||$2699|
|2020 Apr 25||15 days, one-way from Yokohama to Vancouver||Yokohama||$2469|