ms Zuiderdam current position
Specifications of ms Zuiderdam
|Year built||2002 / Age: 18|
|Builder||Fincantieri (Marghera, Italy)|
|Building cost||USD 430 million|
|Owner||Carnival Corporation & PLC|
|Operator||Holland America Line|
|Speed||24 kn / 44 kph / 28 mph|
|Length (LOA)||285 m / 935 ft|
|Beam (width)||32 m / 105 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||82305 gt|
|Passengers||1970 - 2364|
|Decks with cabins||7|
|Sister-ships||MS Noordam, MS Oosterdam, MS Westerdam|
|Christened by||Joan Lunden|
ms Zuiderdam Itineraries
|Date||Itinerary||Departure Port||Price from|
|2020 Dec 20||7 days, round-trip Eastern Caribbean Holiday||Fort Lauderdale||$1099|
|2020 Dec 20||14 days, round-trip Eastern Western Caribbean Holiday||Fort Lauderdale||$2109|
|2020 Dec 27||7 days, round-trip Western Caribbean Holiday||Fort Lauderdale||$1099|
|2020 Dec 27||17 days, round-trip Western Caribbean Panama Canal Sunfarer Holiday||Fort Lauderdale||$2549|
|2021 Jan 03||10 days, round-trip Panama Canal Sunfarer||Fort Lauderdale||$1549|
|2021 Jan 13||11 days, round-trip Panama Canal Sunfarer||Fort Lauderdale||$1599|
|2021 Jan 24||10 days, round-trip Panama Canal Sunfarer||Fort Lauderdale||$1499|
|2021 Feb 03||11 days, round-trip Panama Canal Sunfarer||Fort Lauderdale||$1599|
|2021 Feb 14||10 days, round-trip Panama Canal Sunfarer||Fort Lauderdale||$1499|
|2021 Feb 24||11 days, round-trip Panama Canal Sunfarer||Fort Lauderdale||$1599|
|2021 Mar 07||10 days, round-trip Panama Canal Sunfarer||Fort Lauderdale||$1499|
|2021 Mar 17||11 days, round-trip Panama Canal Sunfarer||Fort Lauderdale||$1599|
|2021 Mar 28||10 days, round-trip Panama Canal Sunfarer||Fort Lauderdale||$1499|
|2021 Apr 07||11 days, round-trip Panama Canal Sunfarer||Fort Lauderdale||$1599|
|2021 Apr 18||14 days, one-way from Fort Lauderdale to Barcelona||Fort Lauderdale||$1499|
|2021 May 26||12 days, one-way from Civitavecchia to Venice||Civitavecchia||$2199|
|2021 May 26||24 days, one-way from Civitavecchia to Venice||Civitavecchia||$4219|
|2021 Jun 07||12 days, round-trip Mediterranean Empires||Venice||$2199|
|2021 Jun 07||24 days, one-way from Venice to Civitavecchia||Venice||$4309|
|2021 Jun 19||12 days, one-way from Venice to Civitavecchia||Venice||$2299|
|2021 Jun 19||24 days, round-trip Adriatic Dream Greek Odyssey||Venice||$4409|
|2021 Jul 01||12 days, one-way from Civitavecchia to Venice||Civitavecchia||$2299|
|2021 Jul 01||24 days, one-way from Civitavecchia to Barcelona||Civitavecchia||$4409|
|2021 Jul 13||12 days, one-way from Venice to Barcelona||Venice||$2299|
|2021 Jul 25||12 days, one-way from Barcelona to Venice||Barcelona||$2299|
|2021 Jul 25||24 days, one-way from Barcelona to Venice||Barcelona||$4409|
|2021 Aug 06||12 days, round-trip Mediterranean Empires||Venice||$2299|
|2021 Aug 06||24 days, one-way from Venice to Civitavecchia||Venice||$4409|
|2021 Aug 18||12 days, one-way from Venice to Civitavecchia||Venice||$2299|
|2021 Aug 18||24 days, round-trip Adriatic Dream Greek Odyssey||Venice||$4409|
|2021 Aug 30||12 days, one-way from Civitavecchia to Venice||Civitavecchia||$2299|
|2021 Aug 30||24 days, one-way from Civitavecchia to Venice||Civitavecchia||$4409|
|2021 Sep 11||12 days, round-trip Mediterranean Empires||Venice||$2299|
|2021 Sep 11||24 days, one-way from Venice to Civitavecchia||Venice||$4409|
|2021 Sep 23||12 days, one-way from Venice to Civitavecchia||Venice||$2299|
|2021 Sep 23||24 days, round-trip Adriatic Dream Greek Odyssey||Venice||$4309|
|2021 Oct 05||24 days, one-way from Civitavecchia to Venice||Civitavecchia||$4219|
|2021 Oct 05||12 days, one-way from Civitavecchia to Venice||Civitavecchia||$2199|
|2021 Oct 17||24 days, one-way from Venice to Barcelona||Venice||$4119|
|2021 Oct 17||12 days, round-trip Mediterranean Empires||Venice||$2199|
|2021 Oct 29||29 days, one-way from Venice to Fort Lauderdale||Venice||$3699|
|2021 Oct 29||12 days, one-way from Venice to Barcelona||Venice||$2099|
|2021 Nov 10||17 days, one-way from Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale||Barcelona||$1749|
ms Zuiderdam Review
Review of ms Zuiderdam
History - construction and ownership
Holland America Line (HAL) is a Seattle-based cruise company owned by Carnival Corporation (shipowner). Between 1873-1989, HAL was a Dutch cargo and passenger shipping company operating regular Transatlantic crossings between Holland and the Americas. HAL was founded in 1873 as "Dutch-American Steamship Company" headquartered in Rotterdam Netherlands. In 1989, HAL was acquired by Carnival Corporation for around EUR 530 million. Among the company's assets are the Westmark hotel chain (Alaska-Yukon), Worldwide Shore Services (warehouses-logistics) and Half Moon Cay (Caribbean private island).
The 82,305-ton, 1,848-passenger cruise ship ms Zuiderdam was much showier than its ancestors. The ship sparkled with a flashy colour scheme and younger sensitivity, devised in an endeavour to attract younger cruisers in an area that was, at that point, fairly uncharted for the line: the Caribbean. The bright new look, from vivid red lifts and corridors to bar and show lounge seating in magenta, orange and yellow, increased more than a few eyebrows. Actually, the vessels that followed reflected a return to a more conservative layout style. There is one very interesting thing - much of the vessel's unusually light decor was left unchanged during the refurbishment, part of the cruise line's multi-million-dollar Signature of Excellence project. But, whether it is "gaudy" or "modern" really depends on passengers' personal style. After all, as more and more vessel designers take risks with distinct shapes and colour palettes, styles that felt loud in 2002 are more ordinary a few years later. Probably the vessel has just grown into her look.
Cruise itinerary program
MS Zuiderdam itinerary program is based on Alaska cruises from Seattle WA in the summer. During winter months the ship operates on the ”10 Day Panama Canal Sunfarer” cruises from Fort Lauderdale, featuring Panama Canal transits on repositioning.
MS Zuiderdam has a total number of 959 cabins (of which 162 Suites, 477 Balcony, 155 Inside rooms) in 30 grades. Most ms Zuiderdam staterooms are 210-360-sq.foot balcony rooms. Nearly 70% of ship's accommodations have private balcony views. 28 are the wheelchair accessible rooms. The largest aboard ms Zuiderdam are the Pinnacle Suites (1150 ft2).
Implemented fleetwide in 2019, "Club Orange" program provides exclusive amenities to Suite passengers booked in categories Neptune and Pinnacle. Bonus perks by this program include:
- priority services (check-in, disembarkation, tendering, dining reservations)
- 24-hour concierge service (assistance, information, reservations)
- exclusive dining venue (serving complimentary Pinnacle Grill breakfast and Dining Room dinner, plus exclusive dishes)
- dedicated Concierge Desk (Guest Services and Tours)
- room service (a la carte breakfast menu with complimentary gourmet dishes - including smoked salmon, steak and eggs)
- sparkling wine (embarkation day), Club Orange tote bag, premium bathrobes (cabin use, available for monogramming and purchasing).
- Club Orange Restaurant is part of the Main Dining Room (designed as separate VIP dining section).
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
Zuiderdam's main dining room features large windows in both its upper and lower sections. These rooms are separated by a ceiling, which is better than MDR's upper level looking down onto the lower one. Such a layout makes conversation better as voices don't carry as far, though you don't get the grand effect common to other main dining rooms. Holland America's Lido buffet rates among the best organized at sea. Open for breakfast, lunch, dinner and late night snacks, the spot is in bright, jazzy colours with seating in the main pool area under magrodome cover (sliding glass roof) and on the adjacent aft deck. Food is arranged in themed stations that serve up sandwiches made to order, salads, pizza, sushi, stir-fries and typical hot fare. Thus, you don't have to wait behind a passenger picking through the salad bar if you want to move on to the meat station.
Follows the complete list of ms Zuiderdam restaurants and food bars.
- Pinnacle Grill (130-seat reservations-only seafood/steakhouse restaurant with fine wines selection; free for passengers under 12 yo). The venue transforms into “An Evening at le Cirque” once per cruise via a partnership with NYC “Le Cirque” French restaurant.
- Vista Restaurant (1058-seat, aft Dining Room; features open seating Breakfast and Lunch, two Dinner options – 2 fixed seatings or “Any Time” dining between 5:15 p.m. - 9 p.m.)
- Terrace Grill (fast food pool bar; complimentary)
- Lido Restaurant (446-seat complimentary buffet restaurant; offers self-service Breakfast 6:00 a.m. -11 a.m., Lunch 11:30 p.m. - 2 p.m., Afternoon Tea, and Dinner 5:30 p.m. - 8 p.m.)
- Canaletto Restaurant (Lido Restaurant annexe; operates as an Italian restaurant for Dinner, reservations required).
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
The Culinary Arts Center features permanent cooking and viewing equipment to instruct guests on the preparation of various dishes. It is operated via a partnership with Food & Wine magazine and offers wine tastings ($15), cocktail tastings and mixology classes, as well as cooking, cake decorating, garnishing and flower arranging classes. The Queen's Lounge offers musical performances with B.B. King's Blues Club experience for five nights per week. The Digital Workshop, powered by Microsoft, is a dedicated computing education venue, with two rows of computers fronting a big, wall-mounted monitor hooked into the computer of the instructor, to graphically demonstrate each step. Other amenities include: complimentary 24-Hour Room-Service, Supervised Kids Program ("Club Hal"), cruise ship weddings, Internet/WiFi Access, Laundry/Self-Serve Laundromats.
Follows the complete list of ms Zuiderdam lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Atrium (3-deck high midship open-floor area with live performances)
- Vista Lounge (867-seat theatre/main show lounge; also serves Holland America’s enrichment program (via a partnership with BBC Earth)
- Piano Bar; Sports Bar; Pinnacle Bar (28-seat wine bar); Ocean Bar (Atrium bar and lounge, with dance floor and stage for live performances)
- Northern Lights Disco & Nightclub
- Queen’s Lounge & Culinary Arts Centre (with live band entertainment, cooking shows, culinary classes; via a partnership with “Food & Wine Magazine”)
- Explorer’s Lounge & Bar (lounge with bar; classical concert performances)
- Meeting Rooms (Hudson, Half Moon, Stuyvesant)
- Photo Gallery & Shop; Art Gallery
- Casino (served by Casino Bar and Sports Bar)
- Screening Room (38-seat indoor cinema); Erasmus Room (24-seat library)
- Atrium Shops (boutiques for duty-free tobaccos and liquor, perfumes, watches, clothing, HAL logo merchandise, souvenirs); Marabella Luxury Shop
- Explorations Cafe (speciality coffee bar and patisserie; also serves as ship’s Library and Online Centre/Internet computers room)
- Neptune Lounge (club venue for Deluxe Suite and Pinnacle guests only)
- Fitness Center (gym with separate Aerobics Room)
- Greenhouse Spa & Salon (with Hydro Pool); Lido Pool area, served by Lido Bar and Terrace Grill; Sea View Pool area served by Sea View Bar; The Retreat (adults-only); 5 jacuzzis
- Crow’s Nest (observation lounge; bar and dance floor; becomes disco at night)
- Sport Court (basketball, volleyball, soccer); Promenade Deck, Walking Track
- Club HAL (kids lounge, complimentary youth programming)
- The Loft (teens club lounge area, with Video Games Arcade, computers, PlayStations; teen disco).
ms Zuiderdam - user reviews and comments
Photos of ms ZuiderdamAdd Photo
ms Zuiderdam ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
Five HAL-Holland America Line ships are scheduled to explore Europe in 2021, including ms Nieuw Rotterdam which is expected to debut at the height of...September 14, 2020
- Cruise Industry
HAL-Holland America Line launched a new initiative in an effort to get cruisers to book a trip, by offering free flights and transfers on select 2021...September 3, 2020
- Cruise Industry
Beginning on Friday, June 12, and ending on June 28, a total of 11 cruise ships will call at Port Mumbai India to disembark 10,000+ Indian crew stuck...June 13, 2020
- Cruise Industry
In the early Friday morning, June 21, CMV-Cruise Maritime Voyages’ liner Astor arrived at Lerwick Harbour (Mainland Shetland, Scotland) from...June 23, 2019
- Cruise Industry
About 50 climate protesters blocked the departure of a Holland America cruise ship from the German Port Kiel on Sunday, June 9, trying to call...June 10, 2019
- Cruise Industry
In 2020, Holland America’s ships ms Amsterdam, ms Zaandam and ms Zuiderdam will transport passengers to the historic cities and...March 22, 2019
- Cruise Industry
Cruisers looking to explore the castles of the British Isles, fjords of Norway, beaches of Greece and flavors of Italy can choose from 6 Holland...December 23, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Holland America Line introduced 34 Canada and New England cruises to choose from between April-October 2019. Offering more voyages in the region than...November 19, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Travelers who wish to transit the lakes and locks of Panama Canal will have 8 Holland America Line cruise ships and 19 voyages to choose from between...August 3, 2017
- show more news
Other Holland America cruise ships
ms Zuiderdam Wiki
During a major drydock refit in 2007, HAL's Zuiderdam ship was stretched by adding a 130 ft / 40 m long midsection. Zuiderdam is the first of Holland America's all 4 "compass ships" (Vista-class vessels), with sisterships Noordam, Oosterdam, Westerdam. Zuider means "South" (in Dutch). The class was named "Vista" because of the expansive use of glass in the superstructure. Ship's Inaugural Cruise/ Maiden Voyage was on December 14, 2002. Ship's Godmother was Joan Lunden (1950-born US journalist, author, TV host).
The ship features a Venetian theme throughout - numerous sculptures, statues and paintings of famous Dutch ships. In its Atrium area, the ship has an impressively big Seahorse sculpture made of crystal. Other prominent pieces of art onboard are a Queen Beatrix's painting (by Andy Warhol), medallions by F.L.Wright, a floral painting by Charles Ben in addition to the ship's big collection of many centuries-old antiques & paintings. This HAL ship features 85% oceanview cabins, and 67% balconies. Zuiderdam is the first cruise liner ever to offer data sockets (USB ports) in every cabin for Internet access.
Zuiderdam is Holland America's 3rd vessel with this name. The 1st "Zuider" liner was in service 1912-1922 (5200-ton Transatlantic cargo ship crossing between Rotterdam and Savannah GA USA). The 2nd Zuiderdam (passenger ship) was scheduled for launch in 1941 but was badly damaged by the British (air attack) while docked in Port Rotterdam. German command decided to raise and re-float the hull in 1942 to be used as a port blockage to the Allied forces in 1944. After WW2 (1939-1945) this ill-fated ship was raised again but was never completed.
Holland America Zuiderdam refurbishments review
During the ship's drydock refurbishment in April 2015, new cabins were added on Observation Deck 10. These accommodations are now shown in the Deck 10’s layout. Deck plan 2015 changes also include the addition of Retreat (adult deck area) on Sports Deck 11 (replacing the two Canvas Cover areas there).
In 2019 (December 1-9) the ship was drydocked in Freeport Bahamas for a USD 16 million renovation project).