ms Rotterdam current position
Specifications of ms Rotterdam
|Year built||2021 new ship|
|Builder||Fincantieri (Marghera, Italy)|
|Building cost||EUR 480 million (USD 520 million)|
|Owner||Carnival Corporation & PLC|
|Operator||Holland America Line|
|Speed||24 kn / 44 kph / 28 mph|
|Length (LOA)||297 m / 974 ft|
|Beam (width)||34 m / 112 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||99800 gt|
|Passengers||2668 - 3218|
|Decks with cabins||8|
|Sister-ships||MS Koningsdam, MS Nieuw Statendam|
|Former names||MS Nieuw Ryndam, MS Nieuw Rotterdam|
ms Rotterdam Itineraries
|Date||Itinerary||Departure Port||Price from|
|2021 Nov 03||4 days, round-trip Bahamas Key West||Fort Lauderdale||$379|
|2021 Nov 03||7 days, round-trip Bahamas Key West||Fort Lauderdale||$719|
|2021 Nov 07||3 days, round-trip Bahamas||Fort Lauderdale||$349|
|2021 Nov 10||11 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Wayfarer||Fort Lauderdale||$1389|
|2021 Nov 10||21 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Wayfarer Seafarer||Fort Lauderdale||$2359|
|2021 Nov 21||10 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Seafarer||Fort Lauderdale||$999|
|2021 Nov 21||21 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Seafarer Wayfarer||Fort Lauderdale||$2449|
|2021 Dec 01||11 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Wayfarer||Fort Lauderdale||$1489|
|2021 Dec 01||21 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Wayfarer Seafarer||Fort Lauderdale||$2449|
|2021 Dec 12||10 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Seafarer||Fort Lauderdale||$999|
|2021 Dec 12||21 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Seafarer Wayfarer||Fort Lauderdale||$2379|
|2021 Dec 22||11 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Wayfarer||Fort Lauderdale||$1499|
|2021 Dec 22||18 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Wayfarer Eastern||Fort Lauderdale||$1999|
|2022 Jan 02||7 days, round-trip Eastern Caribbean||Fort Lauderdale||$599|
|2022 Jan 02||14 days, round-trip Eastern Western Caribbean||Fort Lauderdale||$1139|
|2022 Jan 09||7 days, round-trip Western Caribbean||Fort Lauderdale||$599|
|2022 Jan 09||14 days, round-trip Western Southern Caribbean||Fort Lauderdale||$1299|
|2022 Jan 16||13 days, round-trip Southern Tropical Caribbean||Fort Lauderdale||$1199|
|2022 Jan 16||7 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean||Fort Lauderdale||$749|
|2022 Jan 23||6 days, round-trip Tropical Caribbean||Fort Lauderdale||$499|
|2022 Jan 29||7 days, round-trip Legendary Rhythm And Blues Cruise 36 Easter Caribbean||Fort Lauderdale|
|2022 Feb 05||8 days, round-trip Western Caribbean||Fort Lauderdale||$799|
|2022 Feb 05||15 days, round-trip Western Tropical Caribbean||Fort Lauderdale||$1479|
|2022 Feb 13||7 days, round-trip Tropical Caribbean||Fort Lauderdale||$749|
|2022 Feb 13||14 days, round-trip Tropical Southern Caribbean||Fort Lauderdale||$1329|
|2022 Feb 20||7 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean||Fort Lauderdale||$649|
|2022 Feb 20||14 days, round-trip Southern Eastern Caribbean||Fort Lauderdale||$1299|
|2022 Feb 27||7 days, round-trip Eastern Caribbean||Fort Lauderdale||$699|
|2022 Feb 27||14 days, round-trip Eastern Western Caribbean||Fort Lauderdale||$1239|
|2022 Mar 06||14 days, round-trip Western Tropical Caribbean||Fort Lauderdale||$1199|
|2022 Mar 06||7 days, round-trip Western Caribbean||Fort Lauderdale||$599|
|2022 Mar 13||7 days, round-trip Tropical Caribbean||Fort Lauderdale||$649|
|2022 Mar 13||14 days, round-trip Tropical Southern Caribbean||Fort Lauderdale||$1239|
|2022 Mar 20||7 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean||Fort Lauderdale||$649|
|2022 Mar 20||14 days, round-trip Southern Western Caribbean||Fort Lauderdale||$1239|
|2022 Mar 27||7 days, round-trip Western Caribbean||Fort Lauderdale||$649|
|2022 Mar 27||14 days, round-trip Western Eastern Caribbean||Fort Lauderdale||$1329|
|2022 Apr 03||7 days, round-trip Eastern Caribbean||Fort Lauderdale||$749|
|2022 Apr 03||14 days, round-trip Eastern Tropical Caribbean||Fort Lauderdale||$1429|
|2022 Apr 10||7 days, round-trip Tropical Caribbean||Fort Lauderdale||$749|
|2022 Apr 17||21 days, one-way from Fort Lauderdale to Amsterdam||Fort Lauderdale||$2489|
|2022 May 01||7 days, round-trip Norse Legends||Amsterdam||$1349|
|2022 May 01||21 days, round-trip Norse Legends Baltic Jewels||Amsterdam||$3609|
|2022 May 08||14 days, round-trip Jewels Of The Baltic||Amsterdam||$2449|
|2022 May 08||21 days, round-trip Baltic Jewels Norse Legends||Amsterdam||$3659|
|2022 May 22||14 days, round-trip Best Of Norway||Amsterdam||$2659|
|2022 May 22||7 days, round-trip Norse Legends||Amsterdam||$1399|
|2022 May 29||7 days, round-trip Viking Sagas||Amsterdam||$1399|
|2022 May 29||14 days, round-trip Best Of Norway||Amsterdam||$2659|
|2022 Jun 05||7 days, round-trip Norse Legends||Amsterdam||$1399|
|2022 Jun 05||14 days, round-trip Best Of Norway||Amsterdam||$2659|
|2022 Jun 12||7 days, round-trip Viking Sagas||Amsterdam||$1399|
|2022 Jun 12||14 days, round-trip Best Of Norway||Amsterdam||$2659|
|2022 Jun 19||7 days, round-trip Norse Legends||Amsterdam||$1399|
|2022 Jun 19||21 days, round-trip Norse Legends Voyage Of The Midnight Sun||Amsterdam||$3989|
|2022 Jun 26||14 days, round-trip Voyage Of The Midnight Sun||Amsterdam||$2799|
|2022 Jun 26||21 days, round-trip Voyage Of The Midnight Sun Viking Sagas||Amsterdam||$3989|
|2022 Jul 10||7 days, round-trip Viking Sagas||Amsterdam||$1399|
|2022 Jul 10||14 days, round-trip Best Of Norway||Amsterdam||$2659|
|2022 Jul 17||14 days, round-trip Best Of Norway||Amsterdam||$2659|
|2022 Jul 17||7 days, round-trip Norse Legends||Amsterdam||$1399|
|2022 Jul 24||7 days, round-trip Viking Sagas||Amsterdam||$1399|
|2022 Jul 24||21 days, round-trip Viking Sagas Northern Isles||Amsterdam||$4089|
|2022 Jul 31||14 days, round-trip Northern Isles||Amsterdam||$2899|
|2022 Jul 31||21 days, round-trip Northern Isles Norse Legends||Amsterdam||$4089|
|2022 Aug 14||7 days, round-trip Norse Legends||Amsterdam||$1399|
|2022 Aug 14||14 days, round-trip Best Of Norway||Amsterdam||$2659|
|2022 Aug 21||7 days, round-trip Viking Sagas||Amsterdam||$1399|
|2022 Aug 21||21 days, round-trip Viking Sagas Northern Isles||Amsterdam||$4089|
|2022 Aug 28||14 days, round-trip Northern Isles||Amsterdam||$2899|
|2022 Aug 28||21 days, round-trip Northern Isles Norse Legends||Amsterdam||$4039|
|2022 Sep 11||7 days, round-trip Norse Legends||Amsterdam||$1349|
|2022 Sep 11||14 days, round-trip Best Of Norway||Amsterdam||$2569|
|2022 Sep 18||7 days, round-trip Viking Sagas||Amsterdam||$1349|
|2022 Sep 18||14 days, round-trip Best Of Norway||Amsterdam||$2519|
|2022 Sep 25||7 days, round-trip Norse Legends||Amsterdam||$1299|
|2022 Sep 25||20 days, one-way from Amsterdam to Rotterdam||Amsterdam||$3759|
|2022 Oct 02||13 days, one-way from Amsterdam to Rotterdam||Amsterdam||$2649|
|2022 Oct 02||25 days, one-way from Amsterdam to New York||Amsterdam||$4089|
|2022 Oct 02||28 days, one-way from Amsterdam to Fort Lauderdale||Amsterdam||$3949|
|2022 Oct 15||12 days, one-way from Rotterdam to New York||Rotterdam||$1649|
|2022 Oct 15||15 days, one-way from Rotterdam to Fort Lauderdale||Rotterdam||$1499|
|2022 Oct 30||21 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Seafarer Wayfarer||Fort Lauderdale||$2399|
|2022 Oct 30||10 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Seafarer||Fort Lauderdale||$1199|
|2022 Nov 09||11 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Wayfarer||Fort Lauderdale||$1309|
|2022 Nov 09||21 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Wayfarer Seafarer||Fort Lauderdale||$2399|
|2022 Nov 20||21 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Seafarer Wayfarer||Fort Lauderdale||$2199|
|2022 Nov 20||10 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Seafarer||Fort Lauderdale||$1199|
|2022 Nov 30||11 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Wayfarer||Fort Lauderdale||$1109|
|2022 Nov 30||21 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Wayfarer Seafarer||Fort Lauderdale||$1999|
|2022 Dec 11||10 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Seafarer||Fort Lauderdale||$999|
|2022 Dec 11||17 days, round-trip Southern Eastern Caribbean||Fort Lauderdale||$2019|
|2022 Dec 21||7 days, round-trip Eastern Caribbean||Fort Lauderdale||$1119|
|2022 Dec 21||14 days, round-trip Eastern Western Caribbean||Fort Lauderdale||$2259|
|2022 Dec 28||7 days, round-trip Western Caribbean||Fort Lauderdale||$1259|
|2022 Dec 28||17 days, round-trip Western Southern Caribbean Seafarer||Fort Lauderdale||$2579|
|2023 Jan 04||10 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Seafarer||Fort Lauderdale||$1449|
|2023 Jan 04||21 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Seafarer Wayfarer||Fort Lauderdale||$2869|
|2023 Jan 14||11 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Wayfarer||Fort Lauderdale||$1569|
|2023 Jan 14||21 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Wayfarer Seafarer||Fort Lauderdale||$2969|
|2023 Jan 25||10 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Seafarer||Fort Lauderdale||$1549|
|2023 Jan 25||21 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Seafarer Wayfarer||Fort Lauderdale||$2999|
|2023 Feb 04||11 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Wayfarer||Fort Lauderdale||$1619|
|2023 Feb 04||21 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Wayfarer Seafarer||Fort Lauderdale||$2999|
|2023 Feb 15||10 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Seafarer||Fort Lauderdale||$1549|
|2023 Feb 15||21 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Seafarer Wayfarer||Fort Lauderdale||$2999|
|2023 Feb 25||11 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Wayfarer||Fort Lauderdale||$1619|
|2023 Feb 25||21 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Wayfarer Seafarer||Fort Lauderdale||$2999|
|2023 Mar 08||10 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Seafarer||Fort Lauderdale||$1549|
|2023 Mar 08||21 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Seafarer Wayfarer||Fort Lauderdale||$2999|
|2023 Mar 18||11 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Wayfarer||Fort Lauderdale||$1619|
|2023 Mar 18||21 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Wayfarer Seafarer||Fort Lauderdale||$2999|
|2023 Mar 29||17 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Seafarer Eastern||Fort Lauderdale||$2399|
|2023 Mar 29||10 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Seafarer||Fort Lauderdale||$1549|
|2023 Apr 08||7 days, round-trip Eastern Caribbean||Fort Lauderdale||$969|
ms Rotterdam Review
Review of ms Rotterdam
The 2021-built MS Rotterdam cruise ship (initially named "Nieuw Ryndam") is the 11th vessel in the Holland America Line's fleet and the 3rd of the company's Pinnacle-class liners (HAL's newest and ever-largest). Its sisterships are the fleetmates Koningsdam (2016) and Nieuw Statendam (2018). The new Rotterdam is HAL's 17th vessel built by Fincantieri.
On July 30, 2020, HAL announced that changes the ship's name from "Ryndam" to "Rotterdam" and that the newbuild will become the fleet's flagship. This is HAL's 7th liner to bear this name, The last Rotterdam cruise ship was sold in July 2020 to Fred Olsen and later renamed to "MS Borealis".
The new Rotterdam cruise ship (IMO number 9837470) is currently Holland-flagged (MMSI 245464000) and was delivered on July 30, 2021 (initially was scheduled for May 31st).
History - construction and ownership
Holland America Line (HAL) is a Seattle-based cruise company owned by Carnival Corporation (shipowner). Between 1873-1989, HAL was a Dutch cargo and passenger shipping company operating regular Transatlantic crossings between Holland and the Americas. HAL was founded in 1873 as "Dutch-American Steamship Company" headquartered in Rotterdam Netherlands. In 1989, HAL was acquired by Carnival Corporation for around EUR 530 million. Among the company's assets are the Westmark hotel chain (Alaska-Yukon), Worldwide Shore Services (warehouses-logistics) and Half Moon Cay (Caribbean/Bahamian private island).
The 3210-passenger ship Rotterdam was initially named "Nieuw Ryndam", which was announced on April 7, 2019. The name honored the company's first Ryndam ship, part of the fleet between 1901-1929. The ocean liner was originally named Rijndam - until 1923 when it received the English "Ryndam". In 1927, Ryndam I became HAL's first ship with a world cruise, although the liner was chartered as a floating school for that voyage. The 2nd (Ryndam II) liner served between 1951-1973. The 3rd (Ryndam, built 1994) was sold to the sisterbrand P&O Australia in 2015 and is currently operated as Pacific Aria (now Aegean Goddess).
The new MS Rotterdam is named after Rotterdam City (South Holland, The Netherlands).
HAL’s ever-first ship was named SS Rotterdam, which maiden voyage (Rotterdam to NYC New York) departed on October 15, 1872. On April 18, 1873, was officially founded the Holland America Line. The 1878-built "SS Rotterdam II" was purchased from British Ship Owners Co in 1886. The 1897-built "SS Rotterdam III" served HAL until 1906. "SS Rotterdam IV" (1908-1940, capacity 3139 passengers + 472 crew) operated regularly scheduled Mediterranean roundtrips from NYC New York. "SS Rotterdam V" (aka “The Grande Dame”, 1959-1997) started regularly scheduled Transatlantic crossings until 1969 when was converted into cruise ship. The vessel also operated Grand World Voyages and is currently moored in Rotterdam City serving as hotel ship and museum. "MS Rotterdam VI" (1997-built) is now Fred Olsen Borealis.
Decks and Cabins
MS Rotterdam staterooms (1340 total, in 35 grades) include 164 Suites, 748 Balcony, 147 Oceanviews (including 32x Family Oceanview and 12x Studios/single cabins), 280 Inside. Most cabins as sized ~180 m2 (17 m2). Most cabin balconies are sized 50 ft2 / 5 m2. Nearly 70% of the ship's passenger accommodations have private step-out balconies. Wheelchair-accessible cabins are 27. The largest accommodation is the Penthouse/Pinnacle Suite (970 ft2 / 90 m2, with terrace sized 320 ft2 / 30 m2 and fitted with an outdoor Jacuzzi).
The boat has 13 passenger decks, of which 8 are with cabins.
Four distinct color schemes identify the spa, suite, verandah, ocean-view and inside categories. Passengers enjoy the redesigned headboards with electrical and USB outlets on both sides of the bed, as well as stone tops on nightstands and decks, improved lighting and more storage.
"Club Orange" program provides exclusive amenities to Suite passengers booked in categories Neptune and Pinnacle. Bonus perks by this program include:
- priority services (check-in, disembarkation, tendering, dining reservations)
- 24-hour concierge service (assistance, information, reservations)
- exclusive dining venue (serving complimentary Pinnacle Grill breakfast and Dining Room dinner, plus exclusive dishes)
- dedicated Concierge Desk (Guest Services and Tours)
- room service (a la carte breakfast menu with complimentary gourmet dishes - including smoked salmon, steak and eggs)
- sparkling wine (embarkation day), Club Orange tote bag, premium bathrobes (cabin use, available for monogramming and purchasing).
- Club Orange Restaurant is the former "Culinary Arts Center".
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
Ship's 2-level main restaurant venue serves open-seating breakfast and lunch, as well as a blend of flexible and set-seating restaurant-style meals at dinner. Breakfast hours in the MDR vary but start as early as 7 am on port days and 8 am on sea days, wrapping up by 9:30 am. Breakfast fare includes bread, cereals, French toast, blueberry pancakes, corned beef hash, egg dishes and yogurt parfaits. Portions are on the smaller side, so better opt for a second pastry. Lunch in the MDR is typically limited to an hour per day (from noon to 1 pm on sea days; closed when the ship is in port for an entire day). If you see a line of guests waiting to be seated, do not be deterred as the line moves fast and the tables are plenty. Lunch fare includes sandwiches, soups, light salads, fish and heartier entrees.
Holland America is famous for its exceptional dining experiences, but its newest ships boast more culinary options. Dining Room is a 2-deck high restaurant featuring floor-ceiling windows, curved architectural pillars (accentuating the high ceiling), modern glass lighting, custom-made furnishings. Restaurant's centerpiece is a copper sheath surrounding the 2-story wine tower showcasing an impressive premium wine selection. On the menu are HAL's classic selections, signature dishes, regionally inspired cuisine, Culinary Council recipes from the world-renowned chefs who compose the group, including Council Chairman and Master Chef Rudi Sodamin and international chefs David Burke, Elizabeth Falkner, Jacques Torres, Jonnie Boer and Mark Best.
In addition to Dining Room Restaurant, MS Rotterdam offers fine dining in alternative restaurants, including redesigned Lido Market (with themed food stations) new French seafood brasserie Rudi’s Sel de Mer, new suite-exclusive experience in Club Orange Restaurant; Canaletto (Italian), Tamarind (Asian) and Pinnacle Grill.
HAL is partnering with microgreen specialist Koppert Cress. The aim of the project is to grow fresh ingredients onboard the newbuilds. The Koppert Cress partnership gives guests the chance to indulge in fresh microgreens grown onboard in ship's Culinary Arts Center and enjoy a farm-to-table-style dinner menu. The ingredients are on display in a glass-enclosed growing area in the Culinary Arts Center, which also serves as a dinner venue.
The wine-blending purpose-built room BLEND by Chateau Ste. Michelle seats up to 10 guests, who can learn about, taste wine and mix up to five wines thus creating their unique wine blends.
Follows the complete list of MS Rotterdam restaurants and food bars.
- Pinnacle Grill (reservations-only seafood/steakhouse restaurant with fine wines selection; free for passengers under 12 yo). The venue transforms into “De Librije” (US$69-89) from time to time, inspired by the land-based Dutch restaurant De Librije with two Michelin stars. A wine tasting is included with the meal (four 2 oz. pours). A wine pairing is also available for an additional US$20 per person (four 5 oz. pours).
- Rudi’s Sel De Mer is dinner-only specialty restaurant (French seafood brasserie) also serving traditional dishes from Southeast Asia, China, Japan. In comparison to Koningsdam's original Sel De Mer (upgraded during drydock 2018), the restaurant on Statendam and Rotterdam is by design larger (54 seats) but retains the curving shape and walnut wood-made, accordion-like column structure. The back wall is decorated with porcelain plates, all of which decorated with Chef Rudi’s Food Faces culinary pop art (via a partnership with Bernardaud - French porcelain masters). The food plates are arranged from classic ingredients (caviar, fruits, root vegetables, peppers, etc). In January 2018, HAL released the coffee table book "Food Faces" - available for purchase on the ship. Signature dishes in the a la carte menu include Rudi’s Seafood Tower, Fruits de Mer, Broiled Lobster Tail, Whole Dover Sole Meuniere, Clams au Beurre, Duck Cassoulet, Steak Tartare, Steak Frites, Souffle au Fromage, Salt Crust Baked Branzino. Signature desserts include Rudi’s Face to Face Chocolate, Rudi’s Souffle, Crepes Suzette, Profiteroles with Hot Chocolate Sauce, Apple Tarte Tatin, Artisanal French Cheese Plate.
- The Dining Room (aft Dining Room; features open seating Breakfast and Lunch, two Dinner options – 2 fixed seatings or “Any Time” dining between 5:15-9 pm)
- Lido Market (386-seats) is a complimentary buffet-style restaurant offering self-service Breakfast (6-11 am), Lunch (11:30-2 pm), Afternoon Tea, and Dinner (5:30-8 pm).
- Canaletto Restaurant is a Lido Restaurant annex and also doubles as an Italian restaurant (dinner-only, reservations are required).
- Tamarind (Asian specialty restaurant; reservations-only) is also expanded (compared to Koningsdam) by adding a new al-fresco (outdoor) dining area.
- Nami Sushi (Japanese food bar also serving popular Asian spirits)
- Club Orange Restaurant serves exclusively HAL's Club Orange/Suite passengers (booked in categories Neptune and Pinnacle).
- Grand Dutch Cafe is Holland-themed venue serving traditional Dutch coffee and sweets, as well as European beers.
- Dive-In is a complimentary fast-food bar / poolside bar offering gourmet burgers and fries.
- New York Deli and Pizza is a complimentary fast-food bar offering made-to-order sandwiches and pies.
- Gelato (ice-cream parlor)
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
The World Stage is the ship's main show (theater) lounge, featuring 270-degree LED screens for multiple stage configurations. Lido Pool (one of the 2 swimming pools) has an outdoor movie screen, 3 whirlpools and 2 levels of cushioned lounge chairs. The central pool area (Magrodome) is on 2 levels to create glass-enclosed space. The lower level has traditional poolside elements, while the mezzanine level offers more seating, a huge LED screen for poolside movies, Deli and Pizza (complimentary fast-food bars).
Onboard entertainment is taken to a new level with the Music Walk area featuring all music genres. Lincoln Center Stage is a collaboration with "Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts" featuring classical/chamber music with a quintet combining piano and strings. Additionally, the 2-tier Queen's Lounge features musical performances including the famous B.B. King's Blues experience and fleet's biggest dance floor.
Other amenities include: complimentary 24-Hour Room-Service, supervised Kids Program ("Club Hal"), cruise ship weddings, Internet/WiFi access, Laundry Rooms (Laundromats). Ship's laundry rooms are not self-service (no passenger-use laundrettes). Laundry services are offered via hotel staff and at an additional charge.
Follows the complete list of MS Rotterdam bars, lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Atrium (3-deck midship area with open-floor design and live performances). The Atrium features a stainless-steel sculpture emulating the sense of being inside and encircled by a musical instrument. The experience changes as passengers move around and through it, with no two perspectives being the same. The atrium is capped by Skylight (glass roof) which serves as the backdrop for HD video projections or live-streaming of the night sky.
- Stuyvesant Room (multi-purpose, used for cards playing, group meetings, presentations, “Club HAL” kids program)
- World Stage (theatre/main show lounge; also serves Holland America’s enrichment program (via a partnership with BBC Earth)
- Queen’s Lounge (2-tiered grand ballroom; also hosts HAL’s BB King’s Blues Club)
- Digital Workshop (powered by MS Windows)
- Photo Gallery & Shop; Art Gallery
- Shore Excursions Desk; 4 Meeting Rooms
- Culinary Arts Centre (offers culinary classes and cooking shows presented in demonstration kitchens)
- Signature Shops (boutiques for duty-free tobaccos and liquor, perfumes, watches, clothing, HAL logo merchandise, souvenirs); Marabella Luxury Shop; Dive-in (scuba and diving equipment)
- Piano Bar; Ocean Bar (Atrium bar and lounge, with dance floor and stage for live performances)
- Billboard Onboard (sing-along bar with live music performances)
- Lincoln Center Stage (partnership with NYC “Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts”; dedicated to classical music)
- BLEND (glass-enclosed winery)
- Casino (served by Casino Bar and Sports Bar)
- Panorama Bar
- Explorations Cafe (specialty coffee bar and patisserie; also serves as ship’s Library and Online Centre/Internet computers room)
- Explorer’s Lounge & Bar (lounge with bar; classical concert performances)
- Neptune Lounge (club venue for Deluxe Suite and Pinnacle guests only)
- Fitness Center (gym with separate Aerobics Room); 5 jacuzzis
- Greenhouse Spa & Salon; Lido Pool area, served by Lido Bar and Terrace Grill; Sea View Pool area served by Sea View Bar; The Retreat (adults-only)
- Crow’s Nest (observation lounge; bar and dance floor; becomes disco at night)
- Sport Court (basketball, volleyball, soccer); Sun Deck; Promenade Deck, Walking/Jogging Track
- Club HAL (kids lounge, complimentary youth programming)
- The Loft (teens club lounge area, with Video Games Arcade, computers, PlayStations; teen disco)
- Rolling Stone Rock Room is a new venue (classic rock club via partnership with Rolling Stone Magazine) where are offered live 5-piece band performances. Rolling Stone Rock Room is part of Music Walk area (Plaza Deck 2), also housing HAL's popular music-themed venues BB King’s Blues Club, Billboard Onboard, and Lincoln Center Stage.
The new MS Rotterdam's itinerary program was announced in late-July 2020. The new ship's maiden season was planned to be in Europe, with voyages in the Baltic Sea (Northern Europe) leaving roundtrip from homeport Amsterdam Holland.
The initial Maiden Voyage was scheduled for August 1, 2021. The 7-day itinerary was planned as one-way from Trieste to Civitavecchia-Rome. Between August 1 and October 10, the new ship was planned for deployment in Northern Europe visiting ports in Norway, the UK, Iceland.
However, despite the vessel's on-schedule delivery (on July 30th), in June HAL canceled all departures thru November 3 (the new Inaugural Cruise date) - or the entire European season.
The new Rotterdam ship's homeport in the USA is Port Everglades (Fort Lauderdale Florida). The Caribbean itineraries are themed as:
- 10-day "Southern Caribbean Seafarer" - to Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk Island, Amber Cove Dominicana, Kralendijk Bonaire Island, Willemstad Curacao Island, and Oranjestad Aruba Island
- 11-day "Southern Caribbean Wayfarer" - to Philipsburg St Maarten Island, Castries St Lucia Island, Bridgetown Barbados, Fort-de-France Martinique, Basseterre St Kitts Island, Charlotte Amalie St Thomas Island, Half Moon Cay
- and the 21-day B2B/back-to-back itinerary "Southern Caribbean Seafarer and Wayfarer"
- 7-day "Eastern Caribbean" - to Grand Turk, San Juan Puerto Rico, Saint Thomas Island, Half Moon Cay
- 7-day "Western Caribbean" - to Half Moon Cay, Falmouth Jamaica, Grand Cayman Island, Key West Florida
- and the 14-day B2B "Eastern and Western Caribbean"
ms Rotterdam - user reviews and comments
Photos of ms RotterdamAdd Photo
ms Rotterdam ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
HAL-Holland America Line announced a restart date of May 2022 for its ships ms Volendam and ms Zaandam. The fleetmates ms Eurodam, Koningsdam, Nieuw...August 26, 2021
- Cruise Industry
HAL-Holland America Line took delivery of its newest ship ms Rotterdam on Friday, July 30, officially making her the 11th vessel in the fleet. An...July 31, 2021
- Cruise Industry
HAL-Holland America Line is expected to restart cruising from Port San Diego California beginning with cruises to Hawaii, Mexico, and along the...June 23, 2021
- Cruise Industry
While HAL-Holland America Line continues to work with port authorities and governments in correlation with the phased resumption of cruising, the...June 11, 2021
- Cruise Industry
HAL-Holland America Line’s newest ship - ms Nieuw Rotterdam, returned in the evening of May 6 to Fincantieri’s Marghera (Venice, Italy...May 8, 2021
- Cruise Industry
The Italian shipbuilding company Fincantieri announced it expected to return to the pre-COVID growth levels by 2021 and deliver a total of 7...March 2, 2021
- Cruise Industry
HAL-Holland America Line announced the company's 2021-2022 Caribbean program. With itineraries ranging from 7- to 21 days, 6 HAL cruise ships will...January 12, 2021
- Cruise Industry
HAL-Holland America Line's MS Nieuw Rotterdam - the new ship currently under construction at Fincantieri Marghera (Venice) shipyard - was...October 1, 2020
- Cruise Industry
Five HAL-Holland America Line ships are scheduled to explore Europe in 2021, including ms Nieuw Rotterdam which is expected to debut at the height of...September 14, 2020
- Cruise Industry
Carnival Corporation's subsidiary company HAL-Holland America Line announced that its newbuild ms Nieuw Ryndam will be renamed to ms Rotterdam (Nieuw...July 31, 2020
- show more news
Other Holland America cruise ships
ms Rotterdam Wiki
In late-January 2017, the shipowner Carnival Corporation announced 2 more shipbuilding orders. The new liners were ordered for the brands Princess Cruises (Royal-class / Discovery Princess) and Holland America Line (Pinnacle-class / Rotterdam). On January 19, 2017, Carnival Corporation signed an MoA (memorandum of agreement) with the shipbuilder Fincantieri to construct both vessels, with scheduled deliveries in 2021 (Rotterdam for HAL, at Marghera yard) and 2022 (Discovery Princess, at Monfalcone yard). By the time when both shipbuilding contracts were finalized (February 2017), Carnival had a total of 19 new ships scheduled for deliveries between 2017-2022.
In 2019, Fincantieri had a total of 96 cruise vessels (built between 1990-2019) plus another 50 units on order or under construction. HAL's other "nieuw"/new liners are Nieuw Statendam (2018 - fleet's 6th "Statendam") and Nieuw Amsterdam (2010 - fleet's 4th "Amsterdam"). The new Rotterdam is the 14th cruise vessel built by Fincantieri Marghera for Holland America.
The vessel (Fincantieri Marghera yard/hull number 6278) is powered by four MAK marine diesel engines (model 12V43C) with combined power output 50,4 MW. The propulsion system is based on two ABB Azipods (azimuth thrusters) with combined output 28 MW.
The vessel's steel-cutting ceremony (hull number 6278) was held on March 13, 2019, at Fincantieri's yard in Marghera (Venice). On October 3, 2019, at Fincantieri's Palermo Shipyard (Sicily) was launched the vessel's forward lower section. The ceremony was led by godmother (Madrina) Giuseppa Catalano who released a bottle of Champagne that smashed into the hull. This hull section (aka troncone) has length 82 m (269 ft), width 35 m (115 ft) and weighs 4400 tons. Following the launch, the section was towed from Palermo and to Marghera, where the liner was actually assembled. At Fincantieri Marghera were also constructed other hull and superstructure sections.
On November 21, 2019, at Marghera Shipyard was held the vessel's keel-laying ceremony during which was placed the first hull block (14 m long, 34 m wide, weight 500 tons) part of the midship section. The ship was launched (floated out from drydock) on October 1, 2020. The ceremony was attended by madrina/godmother Mai Elmar (Cruise Port Rotterdam's Executive Director), Cyril Tatar (Holland America Line's VP of Newbuilds) and Antonio Quintano (Fincantieri Marghera's Director).
The preliminary sea trials were conducted in April 25-27, 2021. Adriatic Sea trials were successfully completed in May 3-6, 2021, with the Navigation Bridge team led by Captain Werner Timmers and Chief Engineer Stefan Dullaert. The boat was officially delivered (at Fincantieri Marghera) in the evening of July 29, 2021. The handover ceremony was attended by Cyril Tatar (Holland America Group’s VP of Newbuilds) and Giuseppe Bono (Fincantieri's CEO), as well as other shipowner and shipyard executives. Via live video link also participated Jan Swartz (Holland America Group's President) and Gus Antorcha (HAL's President).
Following the delivery, the new Rotterdam remained in non-passenger shipping operations until the Transatlantic crossing (scheduled for October 20, 2021/Amsterdam to Port Everglades). The Maiden Voyage was scheduled for November 3 (4-day itinerary to Half Moon Cay Bahamas and Key West Florida).
Fun fact is that "Nieuw-Rotterdam" was named the capital of Suriname's Nickerie District (South America), built on Cordonspunt (Nickerie River's right bank) around 1820. After the town was sea-flooded in 1875, in 1879 on the river's left bank was built the District's current capital "Nieuw-Nickerie". Nieuw Rotterdam (formally abolished in August 1979) was populated mainly by merchants (trading with Guyana). The town was twice hit by severe storms from the Atlantic Ocean (and flooded) - in 1866 and in 1875.
Holland America Rotterdam liners (history)
The new MS Rotterdam has several same-named predecessors in Holland America Line’s fleet.
- The first Rotterdam ship (Maiden Voyage from Amsterdam to NYC on October 15, 1872) led to the company's establishment in 1873 (on April 18).
- Rotterdam II (1878-built) was initially owned by "British Ship Owners Co" and acquired by HAL in 1886.
- Rotterdam III (1897-built) was with HAL until 1906.
- Rotterdam IV (1908-built) also served as a troopship (during WW1 / 1914-18) and after the war operated regular Transatlantic cruises leaving roundtrip from NYC to the Mediterranean.
- Rotterdam V (1959-built) initially operated Transatlantic crossings with two passenger classes, but in 1969 was converted to a one-class liner. After 38 years of service, in 1997 the vessel was retired and is currently permanently docked in Rotterdam City serving as a hotel and museum.
- Rotterdam VI (1997-built) was the first of HAL's R-Class ships. In 2020, the vessel was sold to Fred Olsen Cruise Lines and is currently named Borealis.
Inaugural cruise itineraries 2021
The ship's Maiden Voyage (first departure) is currently scheduled for November 3, 2021.
Despite the vessel's on-schedule delivery, in mid-June HAL canceled the ship's schedule August 1 thru November 3 (a total of 18 itineraries). Next tables show the inaugural itineraries (by theme) with lowest prices in USD per person (with double occupancy).
(canceled) 7-day "Inaugural Cruise" from Trieste to Civitavecchia-Rome ($1600 pp)
|Date / Time||Port|
|01 Aug 17:00||Departing from Trieste, Italy|
|03 Aug 08:00 - 17:00||Dubrovnik, Croatia|
|04 Aug 08:00 - 17:00||Kotor, Montenegro|
|05 Aug 08:00 - 17:00||Kerkyra, Corfu Island, Greece|
|06 Aug 10:00 - 18:00||Giardini-Naxos, Taormina, Sicily Italy|
|07 Aug 08:00 - 19:00||Naples, Italy|
|08 Aug 07:00||Arriving in Civitavecchia-Rome, Italy|
(canceled) 14-day "Jewels Of The Baltic" ($2400 pp)
|Date / Time||Port|
|26 Sep 17:00||Departing from Amsterdam, Holland|
|28 Sep 07:00 - 16:00||Copenhagen, Denmark|
|29 Sep 07:00 - 22:00||Warnemunde-Rostock, Germany|
|01 Oct 09:00 - 17:00||Tallinn, Estonia|
|02 Oct 07:00 - 03 Oct 18:00||St Petersburg, Russia|
|04 Oct 07:00 - 17:00||Helsinki, Finland|
|05 Oct 08:00 - 18:00||Stockholm, Sweden|
|07 Oct 07:00 - 17:00||Kiel, Germany|
|08 Oct 08:00 - 17:00||Aarhus, Denmark|
|10 Oct 07:00||Arriving in Amsterdam|
(canceled) 14-day inaugural Transatlantic crossing from Europe to Caribbean-USA (Amsterdam to Fort Lauderdale) - from $1600 pp
|Date / Time||Port|
|20 Oct 17:00||Departing from Amsterdam|
|21 Oct 08:00 - 16:00||Zeebrugge-Bruges, Belgium|
|22 Oct 08:00 - 20:00||Le Havre-Paris, France|
|23 Oct 08:00 - 17:00||Isle of Portland, Weymouth, Dorset England|
|24 Oct 10:00 - 18:00||Brest, France|
|27 Oct 08:00 - 17:00||Ponta Delgada, Sao Miguel Island, Azores|
|03 Nov 07:00||Arriving in Fort Lauderdale|
(MAIDEN VOYAGE/B2B) 7-day "Bahamas and Key West Cruise" ($720 pp)
|Date / Time||Port|
|03 Nov 16:00||Departing from Fort Lauderdale (Port Everglades Florida)|
|04 Nov 08:00 - 17:00||Half Moon Cay, Bahamas|
|06 Nov 08:00 - 17:00||Key West, Florida|
|07 Nov 06:00 - 16:00||Fort Lauderdale|
|09 Nov 08:00 - 16:00||Half Moon Cay, Bahamas|
|10 Nov 07:00||Arriving in Fort Lauderdale|
11-day inaugural "Southern Caribbean Wayfarer Cruise" ($1350 pp) and 10-day "Southern Caribbean Seafarer" ($1300 pp) are combinable into a 21-day B2B ($2520 pp).
|Date / Time||Port|
|10 Nov 16:00||Departing from Fort Lauderdale|
|13 Nov 08:00 - 16:00||Philipsburg, St Maarten Island|
|14 Nov 08:00 - 16:00||Castries, St Lucia Island|
|15 Nov 08:00 - 17:00||Bridgetown, Barbados|
|16 Nov 08:00 - 17:00||Fort-de-France, Martinique|
|17 Nov 08:00 - 17:00||Basseterre, St Kitts Island|
|18 Nov 08:00 - 17:00||Charlotte Amalie, Saint Thomas Island, USVI|
|20 Nov 08:00 - 15:00||Half Moon Cay|
|21 Nov 07:00 - 16:00||Fort Lauderdale|
|22 Nov 08:00 - 15:00||Half Moon Cay|
|23 Nov 10:00 - 17:00||Cockburn Town, Grand Turk Island|
|24 Nov 08:00 - 17:00||Amber Cove, Dominicana|
|26 Nov 08:00 - 23:00||Kralendijk, Bonaire Island, Dutch Antilles|
|27 Nov 08:00 - 23:00||Willemstad, Curacao Island, Dutch Antilles|
|28 Nov 08:00 - 19:00||Oranjestad, Aruba Island, Dutch Antilles|
|01 Dec 07:00||Arriving in Fort Lauderdale|
(2022) 7-day "Eastern Caribbean" ($750 pp) and 7-day "Western Caribbean" ($700) are combinable into a 14-day B2B ($1380 pp).
|Date / Time||Port|
|02 Jan 16:00||Departing from Fort Lauderdale|
|04 Jan 08:00 - 16:00||Grand Turk Island|
|05 Jan 13:00 - 23:00||San Juan, Puerto Rico|
|06 Jan 08:00 - 17:00||Saint Thomas Island, USVI|
|08 Jan 08:00 - 15:00||Half Moon Cay|
|09 Jan 07:00 - 16:00||Fort Lauderdale|
|10 Jan 08:00 - 15:00||Half Moon Cay|
|12 Jan 08:00 - 17:00||Falmouth, Jamaica|
|13 Jan 08:00 - 17:00||Grand Cayman Island|
|15 Jan 08:00 - 17:00||Key West, Florida|
|16 Jan 07:00||Arriving in Fort Lauderdale|
ms Rotterdam User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review