Carnival Cruise Line fleet
Review of Carnival Cruise Line
CCL-Carnival Cruise Lines (carnival.com) is an American passenger shipping company based in Doral, Florida (Miami suburb). The company was originally private (independent), founded in 1972 by Ted Arison (1924-1999). The initial public offering of 20% common stock in 1987 provided capital for fleet expansion.
Today, CCL is one of the 10 brands owned by Carnival Corporation - currently the world's largest passenger shipping company (followed by RCG-Royal Caribbean Group). In 2018, Carnival Corporation controlled ~39% of the global ship cruising market (revenue) and ~48% of the passengers (39% in 2020), with full ownership of 9 brands (CCL, AIDA, Costa, Cunard, HAL-Holland America, P&O UK & Australia, Princess, Seabourn).
CCL currently has 40,000+ employees from 120 nationalities.
For 50 years - between March 11th, 1972 (CCL's maiden voyage with TSS Mardi Gras out of PortMiami) and March 11th, 2022, the company served 90+ million passengers.
CCL has the largest fleet in the Corporation's group of companies and accounts for over 1/5 of the Group's worldwide market share. CCL's executive control is provided by Corporation's North American division. CCL pioneered the concept of less expensive, short-break itineraries. In 1996, the 101,000-GT Carnival Destiny (now Sunshine) became the world's biggest passenger ship and the first to weigh over 100,000 tons.
Most CCL ships are Panama-flagged.
Company changes 2023
In September CCL announced that the libraries on older ships would be removed (during their next scheduled drydocks) while the newer (EXCEL-class) ships lack such facilities by the original design. The former library spaces (used for reading or board game playing) will be repurposed/redesigned as bars, cafes, live music setups, or existing venue-adjacent seating areas.
Since April 1st, CCL again offers the popular "Behind the Scenes" ship tour fleetwide. It costs extra ($55-$95 per person), lasts ~2-3,5 hours and visits the Wheelhouse/Navigation Bridge, the Engine Control Room, Main Dining Room's Galley/kitchen, crew areas (cabins, mess hall, dining room, bar lounge), laundry, among others.
On March 16th CCL became the world's first cruise company to have served 100 million passengers. The unique milestone was celebrated on Carnival Sunrise (in PortMiami) and attended by Christine Duffy (President). CCL's 100-millionth guests were the Clifford family (Debi and David) from Ohio.
On August 28th was announced the name of the new (CCL-exclusive) Grand Bahama Port - Celebration Key, scheduled for opening/inauguration in July 2025.
As of 2023, 9 out of CCL's 14 American homeports (Miami, Port Canaveral, Tampa, Jacksonville, New York City, Baltimore, Mobile, Galveston, Long Beach/Los Angeles) utilize Facial Biometric Technology (public-private partnership with CBP/US Customs and Border Protection Agency), resulting in ~30% reduction in debarkation time. Americans and certain foreign nationals who prefer not to use facial biometrics can request a manual document check from a CBP Officer, adhering to existing admission requirements into the USA.
Company changes 2022
In late-December CCL employed the renowned chef and restauranteur Emeril John Lagasse (1959-born American celebrity chef, restaurateur, author, TV personality) as the company's Chief Culinary Officer. The announcement mentioned that chef Lagasse's "Emeril's Bistro" (restaurant introduced on Mardi Gras) will be utilized fleetwide.
In October CCL imposed fleetwide a US$500 fine plus expenses/detention costs (local police services and emergency docking fees) for passengers found guilty of unruly shipboard behavior.
In September CCL extended its onboard retail shop partnership with Starboard Cruise Services (premier cruiseship retailer, subsidiary company and brand of LVMH /1987-founded) through 2027. The deal covers 10 ships (Celebration, Dream, Freedom, Horizon, Legend, Magic, Miracle, Pride, Sunrise, Sunshine). Starboard is working with CCL since 1992.
On June 22nd, CCL and Costa Cruises announced the "COSTA by CARNIVAL" cruise program targeting CCL's North American source market. The program is based on two newbuild Costa ships - Venezia (starting in April 2023 with homeporting in NYC New York USA) and Firenze (starting in 2024 with homeporting in Long Beach/Los Angeles California USA). Both Costa liners are CCL-managed (while operating out of the USA) and were scheduled for drydock refurbishments prior to the Carnival service.
On June 15th was announced that Costa Luminosa will be transferred from Costa to CCL in September and renamed "Carnival Luminosa".
- In Jacksonville, Ecstasy was replaced by Carnival Spirit, starting April 23rd. Ecstasy was repositioned to/homeported in Mobile AL for the period March 5 thru October 10.
- Carnival Sensation's Mobile Alabama schedule (Oct 15, 2022, thru Sept 30, 2023) was canceled.
- In Australia, Carnival Splendor's schedule (June 10 thru Sept 26, 2022) and Carnival Spirit's schedule (June 5, 2022, thru October 5, 2023) were canceled.
- Carnival Sensation will not restart operations. Ecstasy's last voyage for CCL departed on October 10, 2022, from Mobile.
CCL's 50th Anniversary (2022)
In March 2022, for CCL's "50th Anniversary" were scheduled various onboard festivities (on a total of 17x so-called "Sailabrations" cruises) as well as fleet meetups.
- On March 5th, off Ensenada Mexico rendezvoused 2 ships (Miracle, Radiance).
- On March 7th, off Cozumel Mexico rendezvoused 7 ships (Breeze, Ecstasy, Glory, Pride, Sunrise, Vista, Mardi Gras).
- On March 9th, off Eleuthera Bahamas rendezvoused 6 ships (Conquest, Freedom, Legend, Liberty, Spirit, Sunshine).
- On March 11th, off Ensenada rendezvoused 2 ships (Miracle, Panorama).
On each liner during the meetups was hosted its own Lido Deck party complete with live music and entertainment, including the biggest "Ship-Tok at Sea" (posted on tiktok.com/@carnival). Onboard activities also included themed puzzles, fun-fact trivia games, Build-A-Bear Birthday Party (with a special-edition cuddle bear toy), Rollin' In Riches (gaming event), specially designed fashion collections and retail collectibles, Main Dining Room specials (themed food and beverage menus, original MDR show. Baked Alaska Farewell Parade).
CCL officially marked its 50th Birthday on March 11, 2022, onboard Carnival Conquest's 3-day voyage from Miami to Nassau (March 11-14). The onboard activities were attended by Christine Duffy (CCL's President), Micky Arison (Carnival Corp's Chairman), Arnold Donald (Carnival Corp's CEO), Congresswoman Frederica Smith Wilson (Florida), Congressman Vern Gale Buchanan (Florida), Daniella Levine Cava (Miami-Dade County's Mayor), Juan Carlos Bermudez (Doral City's Mayor), various VIP guests from Miami and CCL's leadership.
Commemorating the 50th birthday, John Heald (CCL's Brand Ambassador) hosted "Between Two Banners" - a series of interviews with the following guests:
- (March 21) Terry Thornton (former Senior VP Nautical and Port Operations)
- (March 23) Vicky Rey (VP Guest Care and Communications, Stakeholder Engagement, Deputy Ethics and Compliance Officer)
- (March 25) Stefan Christoffersson (VP Housekeeping, Laundry and VSP)
- (March 28) Gerald/Gerry Cahill (CCL's President & CEO between 2007-14)
- (March 30) Shahnaz Kashanipour (Director Guest Operations)
- (April 1st, 4th, and 6th) Micky Arison (Corporation's Chairman), 3-part interview
Company changes 2021
On June 23, 2021, CCL announced the addition of two ships to its fleet by 2023 - an EXCEL-class (2023-built Carnival Jubilee) and Costa Magica (2004-built). The Costa boat (later changed with Luminosa) was to be drydock refitted and refurbished, Carnival-named, and to join CCL in 2022-H1.
In June, CCL signed a limited-time partnership deal with Guy Fieri's Flavortown Kitchen (delivery-only restaurant) for the signature "Straight Up Burger" (US$12). The offer was with app-food ordering (Uber Eats, Grubhub, Bite Squad, Waitr, Postmates, DoorDash) and with free delivery. Guy's Burger Joint (poolside food bar) was introduced in the CCL fleet in 2011 and by 2021 available fleetwide (on 24 liners). On each ship are daily served ~1000 burgers, or ~8 million annually - per boat!
In mid-April, CCL introduced "Carnival Edition Family Feud" (priced at US$25). The cruise-themed version of the board game includes 150 questions related to CCL and cruise travel in general.
On February 16, 2021, CCL officially launched "Carnival Monopoly" available for online purchase for USD 40. The limited-edition board game is cruise-themed (Carnival ship properties, port taxes, Cruise Director announcements).
Company changes 2020
Since January 2020, via partnership with PepsiCo Carnival's North American fleet serves various Pepsi-branded beverages, including sparkling water, energy drinks, iced teas, sodas, juices (also no-sugar and low-calorie variations), Starbucks coffee.
The list of Carnival's PepsiCo beverages includes Bubly (water), Gatorade (sports drink), Naked Juice, MTN Dew (carbonated), Pepsi, Pepsi Zero, Pure Leaf (iced teas), Sierra Mist (lemon-lime flavored), Sierra Mist Zero.
Company changes 2019
In August, CCL signed a deal with The Bahamas to build a new cruise port on Grand Bahama Island. The project (~USD 100 million) will create ~1000 jobs.
In November, CCL partnered with Uplift (travel now and pay over time platform). Instead of paying in full upon booking, Uplift Pay Monthly allows CCL's customers to pay for their cruise over time - by making monthly payments for up to 2 years (24 months). The new option allows securing the ship, stateroom and itinerary with a predetermined payment plan and monthly amounts. The new cruise payment option is available for US and Canadian residents only, for all CCL cruise destinations and through any travel agent, via Carnival.com and the company's call centers. In late-November 2019 was launched shop.carnival.com (online retail store) selling Carnival-logoed merchandise.
In May, CCL partnered with Harlem Globetrotters (exhibition basketball team) to serve as team's official cruise line sponsor, with Carnival-inspired activations taking place at 150+ shows per year. In July 2019, CCL signed a partnership with "Clean the World" - hospitality recycling organization that recycles hotel soap and amenities. CCL fleet's discarded remnants from staterooms are taken to a recycling center ashore where are sanitized, melted down and reprocessed. The newly-formed bars are not reused onboard, but distributed to vulnerable communities worldwide. As of 2019, Clean the World recycles and distributes recycled hygiene products to 127+ countries.
In April, CCL expanded the shipboard youth programming (fleetwide) via exclusive partnership with Zumbini. The company specializes in 45-min high-energy classes and activities (for kids 0-4 years-old) that combine playing, singing and dancing. Zumbini classes (created by Zumba and BabyFirst) feature group sing-alongs, using musical instruments and learning activities. CCL's Zumbini program is free of charge, led by ship's youth staff and with 2 classes (30-min each) held at Camp Ocean and other venues. The program targets Carnival Penguins (2-to-5 years old) and is available on itineraries 6-day or longer.
In March, CCL signed an exclusive partnership with Lakeland Brewing Company (Florida) to can and keg CCL own private label beers crafted by a professional brewery team on the new liners Vista and Horizon (at sea). The 3 new craft beers (ThirstyFrog Caribbean Wheat, ParchedPig West Coast IPA, ParchedPig Toasted Amber Ale) are based on unique recipes and currently available (on tap and in 16-oz cans) fleetwide and also at CCL's private port destinations. In October were added ParchedPig Pumpkin Ale and ParchedPig Beach Lager. In mid-March 2019 started construction works on the exclusive "Carnival Terminal 3"/CT3 in Port Canaveral (opened in June 2021).
In February, CCL added X-ray security 3D scanning at 9 of its North American homeports. For the project (installing a total of 91 units) was contracted "VOTI Detection" (Montreal-based company). The 3D scanners feature advanced imaging and remote diagnosis capabilities. They save the image files which (if needed) can be later re-analyzed.
Company changes 2018
In October 2018, the word "tender" (large boat used for ship-to-shore passenger transportation in ports without berthing facilities) was replaced with "water shuttle". Since Dec 1, 2018, violators of the company's shipboard smoking policy are disembarked at the next call port. Previously, they were fined USD 500 cleaning fee.
With the 3x Vista-class liners (Vista/2016, Horizon/2018, Panorama/2019) were introduced the fleet-firsts "IMAX Theater at Sea" (87-seats cinema/part of "Carnival Multiplex"), "SkyRide" (outdoor/aerial bicycle ride/suspended 2-track bike course), Havana Staterooms (cabin complex with a swimming pool, sundeck, lounge, lanai balconies).
NEW Carnival-XL ship
The shipbuilder is Meyer Werft (Turku Shipyard, Finland). The first vessel (Carnival Mardi Gras) is scheduled for delivery in 2021 and homeported in Port Canaveral Florida. The second liner/sistership Carnival Celebration is homeported in Miami starting in November 2022 (the year when CCL celebrated its 50th Anniversary/on March 11th).
The XL-Class design features a new (red-white-navy blue) hull and was created by the NYC-based naval architecture firm "Bluarch Architecture". The new liners have length 1130 ft (344 m) and passenger capacity 5200 (lower berths). Among the various fleet-first and industry-first innovations is The Ultimate Playground (aft on decks 18-19) - a large family-friendly outdoor play area highlighted by fleet's largest WaterWorks (aquapark) and an expanded SportSquare (sports complex with a basketball court, ropes course, jogging track, mini-golf). Also new is the "BOLT Ultimate Sea Coaster" (first at sea). The aft-located (Deck 19) BOLT was designed and built by Maurer Rides (Munich Germany-based company) specializing in roller coaster manufacturing. The race track has length 244 m (800 ft), with twists, turns, drops and speeds up to 64 kph/40 mph. Individual speeds are posted after the race. Carnival's roller coaster is all-electric and allows 2 riders to race along in motorbike-like vehicles at height 57 m (187 ft) above the sea. The experience features breathtaking top-deck 360-degree seaviews and ends with a high-speed turn around the ship's funnel (smokestack/chimney).
(NEW) Carnival China cruise brand
In February 2015, Carnival Corporation signed an MoU with China Merchants Group for 2 joint ventures. The MoU outlined an eventual partnership that could result in a new cruise brand (joint shipowner company), as well as joint development plans for Chinese seaports and destinations.
- MoU's joint venture port plans included the development of transit and turnaround/homeports within China. China Merchants Group (founded 1872) is a state-owned company focusing on infrastructure and transportation, also real estate development and financial services. Currently, Carnival Corporation serves the Chinese market through the brands Princess and Costa.
- In October 2015, Carnival Corp signed an agreement with the Chinese companies SWS (Shanghai Waigaoqiao Shipbuilding Co Ltd, a subsidiary of CSSC / China State Shipbuilding Corporation) and China Investment Corp. The USD 3,88 billion deal established the Hong Kong-based joint venture company Adora Cruises/CSSC Carnival Cruise Shipping to place ship orders with SWS. The company plans to build up to 5 new vessels per year for the next 15-20 years. All ships will be China-homeported and with technical support and design plans provided by Fincantieri. SWS builds some of the world's largest container ships (capacity up to 21000 TEUs) for CSCL.
In February 2017, Carnival Corp and CSSC announced an agreement to build 2 new ships for "CSSC Carnival Cruise Shipping Ltd". The deal was officially signed on November 6, 2018.
- The shipbuilding project has total value ~USD 1,5 billion, not including the options for 4 more liners. Additionally, Carnival China will purchase 2 existing liners from Costa Group (Atlantica and Mediterranea).
- The shipbuilder is SWS. Another joint venture - "CSSC Cruise Technology Development Co Ltd" (SWS plus Fincantieri) granted shipbuilding technology licenses and provided technical services to SWS, including supply chain and project management, components and fundamental marine systems. The new liner's design (based on Fincantieri's CCL VISTA platform) was specifically tailored for Chinese tourists.
- First ship's delivery was scheduled for 2023, a second follows in 2024. Ship design is based on Vista-Class, with GT 85,000 tons and passenger capacity around 2800.
Carnival Cruise Line ships
CCL is best-known for implementing top-notch marine technologies, innovative vessel construction methods and ship designs. Its customers are mostly Americans, 30% of which under 35 yo, 40% - between 35-55, 30% over 55.
All CCL liners names have the prefix "Carnival", and are also trademarked "The Fun Ships". Also trademarked is the ship's funnel - colored in red-white-blue, and shaped like a whale tail. Company's vessels offer spacious public spaces and staterooms that are one of the largest at sea with a huge variety of stateroom types in several categories. Between the high-quality amenities are Carnival's terry robes and "Comfort Bed" sleep system with deluxe mattresses, linens, duvets, and pillows - Suite guests can even choose from a "pillow menu".
Carnival is famous for its great cuisine and multiple dining options. The long list of dining venues includes the Main Dining Rooms (with 5-course meals), Chef's Table (ship tour and gourmet cuisine), Supper Club with steakhouse favorites (reservations-only), BlueIguana Cantina (Mexican), Sushi Bar, European-style Patisseries and Cafes, Poolside Bars, themed Kids Dining, Midnight Buffets, 24-hour Pizza and Room Service.
CCL ships provide a variety of onboard activities - from napkin-folding classes, Vegas-style revues, and gourmet and galley-kitchen tours to cool deck parties, belly-flop pool competitions, and waterslide races. Signature shipboard facilities are Seaside Theatre (outdoors), Thrill Theatre (3D Cinema), Disco Nightclub, Casino (gambling, tournaments), Stage Shows, Playlist Productions, Hasbro Game Show, Carnival Waterworks (aqua park with slides).
For those who love sports, Carnival has done a great job by creating the SportSquare with ropes SkyCourse, SkyRide and Basketball Court, also used also for Soccer and Volleyball. Since October 2016, Carnival Cruise Line ships offer bocce court activities, due to an inflatable court developed by the company Packaworld (New Zealand). The new activity was added following successful test trials (on Carnival Glory and Carnival Pride) run by American Bocce Company (USA).
Bocce (aka bocci) is a nodules sport similar to lawn bowls. However, the traditional courts are usually made of wood and sized 60x12 ft (1830x365 cm, which is a lot of space to install bocce on cruise ships. To overcome the problem, the NZ company Packaworld developed inflatable "Packabocce", making it easier to bring the game to new locations. The portable courts are sized 30x8 ft / 914x244 cm (recreation) and 22x6 ft / 670x180 cm (mini court) and can be set up in just minutes.
The portable bocce courts are also available in some of the ship's indoor public spaces (including bars). The new onboard activity is offered fleetwide, including on the Australia-based ships, where are also available giant board games (like Trivial Pursuit, Guess Who, Cranium).
SkyRide is an outdoor/aerial bicycle ride (suspended 2-track bike course) on the newest Vista-class Carnival ships. This is industry's first pedal-powered open-air bike ride in hanging bikes encircling around an 800-ft / 245-m long suspended track on the ship's top deck, allowing 360-degree panoramic views 150 ft / 46 m above sea level.
Foosball and Ping-Pong tables are available, as well as a Walking/Jogging track and Fitness Center with a separate room for Yoga, Aerobics and Pilates classes. There is also a Mini-Golf course and golf cruise packages created for keen golfers.
CCL caters for families with amazing kids programs. Kids club activities by "Camp Ocean" (children's facilities and programming) feature "Seuss at Sea" entertainment (including the "Green Eggs and Ham” Breakfast served in the MDRs once per voyage) via an exclusive partnership with Dr Seuss Enterprises LP. At the same time moms and dads are able to unwind in the many relaxation lounges and complexes: Carnival Cloud 9 Spa, Serenity Adult Retreat, themed Bars (RedFrog, BlueIguana, Alchemy, Havana, Sports), big-size Swimming Pools and Whirlpools.
Carnival has been spending a lot on fleetwide refurbishments and upgrades since 2007. The initiative "Evolutions of Fun" cost USD 350 million (8x Fantasy-class vessels) and included new open-deck spaces, kids- and family-themed facilities and activities, Carnival WaterWorks (aquapark with slides).
On Oct 6, 2022, was announced a new kids program via partnership with Cape Canaveral's Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex. The new programming (Space Cruisers, hosted at Camp Ocean) is NASA-supported and debuted on Carnival Celebration in November. Space Cruisers' activities are grouped into the following programs - "Optimal Orbit" (2-8 yo) and "Design Your Own Mission Patch" and "Space Cruisers Rocket Workshop" (6-11 yo), as well as the family-friendly "Mars Base Connect" and "ASTRO!". Carnival's Space Cruisers program was implemented fleetwide by 2023-Q2.
The "Fun Ship 2.0" program (2011-launched) cost USD 500 million and added fleetwide new dining venues, redesigned staterooms, themed bars, lounges, clubs. The biggest project was the Carnival Destiny-Carnival Sunshine transformation in 2013 (USD 155 million, 49-day drydock refit).
This official YouTube video reviews DREAM-class vessels (Breeze, Dream, Magic) as facilities and amenities.
Next link is to CruiseMapper's Carnival cruise secrets, tips, and tricks. At the following link, you can compare Carnival's major rival - Royal Caribbean (fleet and review of RCI's cruising experience).
ATM (cash) machines are available onboard all Carnival ships since 2009. The service is exclusively provided by Cardtronics and available to both passengers and crew. In 2016, ATMs were also installed in ships' crew sections. Each Carnival ship has all 4 ATMs - 2 located in high-traffic passenger areas and 2 are exclusively for the crew.
Since August 2018, CCL doesn't require passengers to complete health-related questionnaires during check-in. Instead, they are asked to self-report illnesses, without answering questions on paper. At port terminals upon departure were installed health signage to remind practicing hand hygiene and reporting any illness to staff crew.
(NEW) Carnival cruise gratuities (2023)
Since 2023 (April 1st), CCL's daily gratuities per person (pp) are as follows:
- USD 16 pp (standard staterooms - interior, oceanview, balcony, both adults and kids) - being increased from US$14,50 pp
- USD 18 (suites) - being increased from US$16,50 pp. Suite perks (in addition to priority embarkation/debarkation in all ports, confirmed main dining room preference) also receive priority tender service, free in-cabin bottled water, 1 complimentary bag of laundry (per cruise), enhanced turndown service.
- Cruise gratuities for children - tips don't apply to kids less than two years of age.
- Gratuities can be prepaid. Daily gratuity is an automatic service charge added to the passenger's onboard account each day. The amount of gratuities is split between the onboard staff (dining, housekeeping, cabin stewards).
On Carnival ships departing from Australian ports tipping is not compulsory. Room Service staff tipping is also not compulsory.
On Cruises To Nowhere, the daily amount of gratuities is USD 14 pp.
Carnival Barbados deals (any itinerary visiting Bridgetown Barbados), all gratuities are prepaid and added upon booking.
For drinks purchases, an automatic 18% gratuity is added to the bill. Charges are applied directly to the onboard account. An automatic 15% gratuity is added to "Chef's Table" (dining package) cover charge and applied directly to the onboard account.
Follows the breakdown of the gratuities on Carnival cruises (in USD, per day, per person):
- Housekeeping staff: USD 4,05 (standard cabins) USD 5,05 (suites)
- Dining/wait staff: USD 6,40
- Alternative Services (kitchen, entertainment, passenger services, other hotel staff members): USD 2,50.
Carnival shipboard Wi-Fi plans
In 2017, CCL updated the cruise ship Wi-Fi service fleetwide, introducing the option to pre-purchase Internet packages online.
Starting April 19, 2017, the company offers pre-purchasing internet plans (first introduced on Carnival Fascination and Carnival Vista). The option is available via "Manage My Booking" (Carnival.com) where customers can select a package for the duration of the cruise.
Carnival's Wi-Fi plans can be purchased (at discounted rates) for either the entire voyage or for a day (24-hour period).
- "Social Package" (costs USD 12,75 per day) offers access most popular applications and websites, including Facebook (and Facebook Messenger), Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, Linkedin, WhatsApp, plus the most popular airline websites. The Social plan doesn't include Snapchat, Facetime, iMessage, in-app calling or access to any other apps or websites.
- "Value Package" (costs USD 17 per day) offers access to all websites and apps, including e-mail, news, banking, sports, weather, all social media. The Value plan doesn't support music and video streaming or Skype calls.
- "Premium Package" (costs USD 18,70 per day) offers the fastest possible Internet connection. Depending on coverage, speeds can be up to 3 times faster compared to the "Value Package". The Premium plan includes all apps and websites, plus streaming services and Skype video calling.
Since May 2017, CCL offers a new, convenient option for fully booked passengers to select and pre-purchase Wi-Fi packages through carnival.com ("My Cruise Manager" tab). However, when purchasing W-Fi online, passengers must also pre-purchase an Internet package covering the whole voyage.
Daily Internet packages are available onboard.
- WiFi package costs USD 12 per day, with discount price $10,25 if pre-purchased (prior deprture), 24-hour / daily rate $16.
- Premium WiFi package costs USD 17,70 per day ($14,88 if pre-purchased), , 24-hour / daily rate $25.
Booked Carnival cruise ship passengers can upgrade from one plan to another and are also allowed to use multiple devices per plan (including the ship's onboard computers), but only on one device at a time. All the new Carnival WiFi plans do not include video streaming (Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime) and don't support WiFi Calling (voice calls via the ship's Wi-Fi network) and Facetime (Apple's videotelephony) services. Printing services on the ship are provided at no charge.
Carnival "Future Cruise" booking
In May 2017, Carnival Cruise Line started offering new incentives to customers on current voyages if they book next cruise while on the ship.
- Cruisers are able to book a future Carnival cruise either while on the ship or within 2 weeks after the current cruise. Booking ashore can be done through travel agent or the Carnival HUB app. Onboard booking is through Loyalty and Cruise Rep. Before May 2017, passengers could only book a future cruise through onboard reps.
- At the time of booking, passengers are entitled to the following perks: reduced deposit, 2-category cabin upgrade, 20% off "Early Saver" rates with price protection.
- Passengers who opt to change the cruise date lose their onboard credit. That credit is forfeited in case the price drops and customers opt to rebook. Before May 2017, the amount of onboard credit offered was varying depending on itinerary's length, Now it is a flat rate of USD 25 per person (up to USD 50 per cabin) excepting suite staterooms, which receive USD 50 per person in onboard credit (up to USD 100 per cabin).
- Travel agents are able to book their customers into a group booking with the offer.
- Carnival's "Friends and Family" vouchers are not offered anymore. They used to allow passengers who may like to sail with you to get the same discount deal.
Carnival is the only cruise company allowing its customers to take advantage of a "Future Cruise Vacation" promo up to 2 weeks after the end of the voyage (debarkation).
In late-December 2018 was signed a contract with Speedcast (world's largest global satellite comm provider) to improve fleet's connectivity at sea. By this contract, Carnival increased fleet's bandwidth in order to provide highest-quality Internet at sea. Utilizing a total of 40 mini-satellites, Carnival now has the world's largest maritime satellite network. Specifically for Carnival, Speedcast developed the TrueBeam system, which constantly looks for weaknesses which would impact the satellite signal and instantly reroutes it to avoid interruptions. Such interruptions could be weather ("rain fade"), overcrowded networks and line-of-sight blockage.
Carnival fly-cruise deals Fly2Fun
Since 2015, Carnival offers a "flight and cruise" program (branded Fly2Fun) providing the company's potential customers with choice, convenience, and value when making flight arrangements in connection with the cruise.
Fly2Fun deals allow customizing flight reservations with different options, including the specifying preferred departure ports, flight schedules, airline/carrier, type of accommodation. Confirmations are received after making the reservation. Flights can be customized to allow pre- or post-cruise hotel stays.
- The Fly2Fun program is operated with Carnival's "Flight Protection". It guarantees that in case of missing the cruise departure (due to aircraft mechanical or weather-related issues) Carnival will fully cover the airfare, plus all the expenses related to transportation, meals, and hotels for the booked passengers to meet the ship in the next call port of the cruise itinerary.
- Within Carnival's flight cruise program there are 2 options available - "Restricted Air" and "Flexible Air".
- With Flexible Air, potential Carnival customers (or travel agents) can book cruise up to 4 days prior to departure with the "Book Now-Pay Later" feature. With this option, flights payment is collected together with the cruise's final payment. There are no fees if air changes are made outside of 60 days prior to departure.
- With "Restricted Air", flight tickets are non-refundable and due paid in full upon booking. Change fees are based on the airline's policy, once air tickets are issued.
Fly2Fun (Carnival fly-cruise deals) are bookable only via phone. After the cruise reservation is made, customers can call "1-800-CARNIVAL" to make a flight reservation.
In November 2018, Carnival partnered with American Airlines for a new exclusive fly-cruise offer.
- Members of the airline's loyalty program (AAdvantage) can earn up to 10,000 miles on voyages. AAdvantage cardholders can earn up to 20,000 miles.
- The deal includes Citi AAdvantage Platinum Card and Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard.
- AAdvantage members earn 1 mile per dollar spent on Carnival cruises. AAdvantage cardholders earn 2 miles per dollar spent.
- Miles are awarded per stateroom, but only 1 passenger per booking can earn rewards. AAdvantage cardholders must book the cruise through "American Airlines Cruises" using their card to get an additional mile per dollar spent.
- The exclusive deal was offered on Carnival voyages November 1, 2018, through August 31, 2021.
In late-February 2020, was introduced a new Fly2Fun option - upon online booking customers now can secure the flight arrangements (Flexible Air or Restricted Air) right after completing the voyage booking. The upgraded Fly2Fun allows booked customers to select flight dates and preferred airline and receive (online) immediate confirmation.
Carnival's "Great Vacation Guarantee"
Since 2013, Carnival is the company providing industry's biggest and strongest vacation guarantee ever - "Great Vacation Guarantee". Starting with the Victory ship cruise from Miami (September 12, 2013), this new brand-building initiative allows CCL passengers to end their cruise vacation early if they aren't happy with the experience - and to receive a 110% refund in OBC. And this is not all!
- Unhappy customers also get a free air transportation home.
- Plus free ground transportation from the next call port.
- Plus free hotel stays (if necessary).
- Plus USD 100 onboard credit for a future Carnival cruise booking.
- Booking shore excursions through Carnival is the best deal in terms of money, quality of service and guaranteed ship departure/arrival times.
The only requirement is passengers must claim their unhappiness on the ship and within the first 24 hours after boarding.
Carnival HUB app
HUB app is a free download mobile app allowing onboard chatting between Carnival passengers. The app also provides access to ship-related information. A fee of USD 5 per device per cruise is required to activate the chat feature. The other functions are at no cost.
The HUB app was last updated in June 2017 and now offers the хew features weather forecast (for each day of the itinerary), dining menus, tips info (dress code, shipboard events schedules, deck plans, ports info). App's design was also updated.
Hub app also allows checking the Sail & Sign onboard account, viewing maps, scheduled events, dining and drinking options, add favorites. On select ships via Hub app can also be purchased tours/shore excursions. The app is available for Apple and Android mobile devices.
"Carnival EasyPay" was introduced in June 2017. This is Carnival Cruise Line's pay-over-time program allowing customers to book a cruise and pay for it in 3 monthly installments.
- The program (cruise ship industry's first) is designed as a hassle-free cruise payment option. It allows booked passengers' to deduct cruise payments automatically (from the credit card on file). Then the payments are applied to the current balance over a 3-month period - interest-free.
- The customer makes the initial deposit, then the balance of the cruise is charged in 3 equal payments - taken out automatically (on the designated day) for 3 consecutive months.
- Booked cruise passengers can either register for "Carnival EasyPay" (at carnival.com) or call.
- Travel agents can sign up in order to process payments on behalf of their clients.
Since 2017, Carnival Cruise Line accept PayPal as digital payment method available from any device. Via PayPal, customers can securely choose their payment methods for purchases - credit card, debit card, bank account or PayPal balance.
PayPal can be used by cruise ship tourists upon making their initial deposits on the voyage or any balance due. In addition to PayPal, Carnival also accepts all major credit cards, including Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, Diner's Club, MasterPass.
PayPal allows CCL customers to make online purchases more quickly and securely. PayPal can be used as a payment option for any of Carnival cruise itineraries with durations 3- to 15-days, visiting ports both USA and international ports and destinations.
(NEW) Carnival cruise passengers debarkation policy
In August 2018 the company changed its passengers' debarkation policy.
- Only customers who exceeded duty-free allowance must complete one US Customs Declaration Form per household, including family members traveling with them and residing at the same address.
- On the day prior debarkation, new Zone-numbered luggage tags are offered in a shipboard designated area (listed in Carnival's Debarkation Flyer). This doesn't apply to passengers who choose self-assist debarkation.
- Passengers may pick up luggage tags with desired debarkation time (subject to availability). Each tag has to be filled out and attached to luggage. It's recommended not to disembark until your zone has been called as your luggage will not be available for pick-up.
- Passengers who use the new luggage tag system must leave luggage outside the stateroom (in the hallway) the night before debarkation (collection between 10 pm and midnight).
- To avoid confusion, luggage tags used during boarding must be removed, leaving just the zone-numbered tags.
- Passengers with confiscated stuff can reclaim them starting at 6:30 am (debarkation morning) in the designated area.
- Upon debarkation, each passenger must present Sign & Sail card for scanning by ship's security (to know when the entire cruise liner has been cleared of travelers).
Carnival ship lifeguards
In April 2017, at the Clia Cruise 360 conference in Fort Lauderdale Florida, Carnival Cruise Line's president Christine Duffy reaffirmed that the company wouldn't add onboard lifeguards to the Fun Ships soon. Mrs. Duffy stated that "the responsibility for pool safety must be with the parents onboard and our employees".
On each of the Carnival ships, there are three full-time attendants (at the waterworks facility/ aqua park with slides), which are swimming pool safety, CPR and first aid trained. Still, the safest system remains "vigilance and awareness".
- For comparison, NCL Norwegian Cruise Line started employing certified lifeguards (on its largest vessels only) in summer 2017. NCL's lifeguards were employed fleetwide by 2018. The announcement made NCL the 3rd major cruise company with lifeguards onboard its ships - following Disney and Royal Caribbean. The onboard NCL lifeguards are stationed only at the family pools during scheduled swimming pool hours. This staff is "American Red Cross" trained and certified. NCL also offers complimentary swim vests for both adults and kids. Parents can obtain safety vests at the Lido Deck's towel station during daytime hours.
- NCL started testing monitoring through CCTV cameras at family pools (on fleet's largest ships only) since 2015. So adding full-time lifeguards was a decision for more safety on pool decks. However, it should be known that lifeguards don't replace parental supervision and that parents (legal guardians) remain the best form for preventing onboard accidents.
- RCI Royal Caribbean employs cruise ship lifeguards since February 2017 (by the line's "water safety program"). RCI's onboard lifeguards are dressed in special uniforms (bright red and white) and stationed at every onboard swimming pool, including at the Solarium (adults-only retreat) during the complex' opening hours.
- Disney Cruise Line employs certified lifeguards since 2013.
In mid-October 2019, Carnival issued the following safety briefing video that outlines all the fleet's main shipboard safety regulations.
"Fun Ship Freddy" is Carnival's mascot in the shape of the company's distinctive funnel.
Former Carnival liners
All vessel names have the prefix "Carnival", and are also referred to as "Carnival Fun Ships". The first Carnival liner (second-hand vessel) was "MS Mardi Gras".
Next, are listed Carnival ships no longer part of the company's fleet. In brackets are shown the years the vessels served CCL.
- MS MARDI GRAS (1972-1993), the first-ever Carnival cruise ship/1961-built ocean liner ("Empress of Canada"), scrapped 2003, weight 27300 GT, passengers 1240, former names Olympic, Star of Texas, Lucky Star, Apollo, Apollon.
- MS CARNIVALE (1975-1994), an ocean liner built in 1956 as "Empress of Britain", scrapped in 2008, weight 25500 GT, passengers 1124, former names Queen Anna Maria, Fiesta Marina, The Topaz.
- MS FESTIVALE (1977-1996), an ocean liner built in 1961 as "RMS Transvaal Castle", scrapped 2003, weight 32700 GT, passengers 726, former names SA Vaal, Island Breeze, Big Red Boat III.
- MS TROPICALE (1982-2001), built 1982, tonnage 36700 GT, the first newbuild Carnival liner, named after the CCL service as Costa Tropicale, Pacific Star, Ocean Dream (2008-2020/scrapped).
- MS JUBILEE (1986-2004), 47300 GT, passengers 1490-1900 (max), sold to P&O Australia in 2004, renamed Pacific Sun, sold in 2012 to a Chinese company (serves as the gambling ship MS Henna (scrapped in 2017).
- MS CELEBRATION (1987-2008), now Grand Celebration, Sweden-built, weight 47300 GT, passengers 1490 (max 1900), transferred to iberoCruceros, currently operated by Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line.
- MS HOLIDAY (1985-2009, scrapped in 2021 as CMV Magellan), Denmark-built, weight 46000 GT, passengers 1450 (max 1800), transferred to iberoCruceros, later chartered by CMV (Cruise and Maritime Voyages).
On May 10, 2018, in Miami was officially opened Carnival's "Fleet Operations Center". The 35,000 ft2 facility allows simultaneous real-time monitoring of all ships in the fleet. The main feature is its 74 ft (22,5 m) long video wall composed of 57x LED screens. The data processed here includes itinerary information, current position, weather conditions, logistics, environmental status, guest operations. The interactive world map shows also current locations of all Carnival Corporation ships (all brands). The center is staffed 24 / 7. The Corporation also owns similar monitoring centers in Seattle and Hamburg.
(Coronavirus crisis) passenger shipping pause 2020-2021
Due to the COVID pandemic, CCL-Carnival suspended its fleet's passenger shipping operations by canceling all voyages with pre-scheduled departures in the period March 13, 2020, through July 2021.
Next are listed CCL-Carnival's first departure dates by ship/homeport - BREEZE (July 15, 2021/Galveston Texas), CELEBRATION (Nov 6, 2022/Maiden Voyage/Transatlantic Southampton-Miami), CONQUEST (Dec 13, 2021/Miami), DREAM (Sept 19, 2021/Galveston TX), ECSTASY (March 7, 2022/Jacksonville FL), ELATION (Oct 11, 2021/Port Canaveral), FREEDOM (Oct 9, 2021/Miami), GLORY (Sept 19, 2021/NOLA New Orleans), HORIZON (July 4, 2021/Miami), LEGEND (Nov 14, 2021/Baltimore to Bermuda), LIBERTY (January 3, 2022/Port Canaveral), MAGIC (Aug 7, 2021/Port Canaveral), MARDI GRAS (July 31, 2021/Port Canaveral/Maiden Voyage), MIRACLE (July 27, 2021/Alaska from Seattle), PANORAMA (Aug 21, 2021/Long Beach LA), PARADISE (March 12, 2022/Tampa), PRIDE (Sept 12, 2021/Baltimore to Bahamas), RADIANCE (Dec 13, 2021/Long Beach LA), SPIRIT (March 7, 2022/Jacksonville FL/Brisbane Australia 2022-24 schedule was canceled), SPLENDOR (May 2, 2022/Alaska from Seattle/Sydney Australia 2022-24 schedule was canceled), SUNRISE (Aug 14, 2021/Miami), SUNSHINE (January 13, 2022/Charleston SC), VALOR (Nov 1, 2021/NOLA New Orleans), VISTA (July 3, 2021/Galveston Texas), JUBILEE (October 30, 2023/Maiden Voyage/Transatlantic from Southampton to Galveston).
- The 2020-built Mardi Gras ship's inaugural sailing (Caribbean from Port Canaveral) was rescheduled from April 24 to May 29, June 5, July 3, Oct 2.
- Carnival Radiance (fka Carnival Victory) restarted from Long Beach (3-4-night Catalina Island and Ensenada) on December 23 (rescheduled from Nov 5th due to revised drydock plans).
- Carnival Legend's Europe 2021 program (May 17 - October 31/Mediterranean from Barcelona) was canceled and the ship restarted on Nov 14, out of Baltimore to Bermuda.
- Carnival Australia ships were planned to restart in 2022 on April 16 (SPLENDOR from Sydney NSW) and April 17 (SPIRIT from Brisbane QLD), but in February 2022, both programs were canceled and the ships redeployed.
- CCL's newest boat (Carnival Celebration's Maiden Voyage) was scheduled for Nov 6, 2022 (Transatlantic from Southampton to Miami).
All affected bookings received full monetary refunds (100%), including on prepurchased through CCL packages and services. With rebooking (made by May 31, 2021), refunds were in FCC (future cruise credit) transferred to the new booking. Cruises 5-day or shorter received a full monetary refund or a 100% refund in FCC plus USD 300 in OBC (onboard credit) per stateroom. Cruises 6-day and longer received a full monetary refund or a 100% FCC plus USD 600 in OBC per stateroom. Booking cancelations prior to the final payment were penalty-free - unless the booking was on a specific promo offer with a non-refundable deposit and/or cruise fare.
IMPORTANT: In mid-June 2020, Carnival Corporation (CCL's parent company) announced that intends to sell 13 ships in FY2020 - instead of the previously expected fleet optimization planned over the next 3-5 years.
- The list of sold for scrapping liners includes Carnival Inspiration (1996-built, age 24) and Carnival Fantasy (1990 / 30-yo). On July 23, CCL announced that Fantasy and Inspiration are sold but not to be scrapped. The same statement mentioned that the ships Fascination and Imagination move to a cold lay-up (long term no-sail) status.
- Carnival Fascination's schedule 2020-2021 based on homeporting in San Juan (Puerto Rico) and Bridgetown (Barbados) was canceled. The ship's new homeport (Mobile AL) and itineraries in 2022 were also canceled. On September 16 was announced that Carnival Fascination is sold (to an undisclosed buyer, hopefully not for scrap).
Itinerary of Carnival Cruise Line
In 2023 starts the "COSTA by CARNIVAL" cruise program (CCL and Costa Cruises) that targets CCL's North American customers. The program is based on two newbuild Costa ships - Venezia (starting in June 2023 with homeporting in NYC New York USA) followed by Firenze (starting in May 2024 with homeporting in Long Beach/Los Angeles California USA). Both Costa liners are CCL-managed (while operating out of the USA).
Former CCL vessels (scrapped in 2020-2022)
Carnival Fantasy (1990-built/30-year-old) and Carnival Inspiration (1996-built/24-year-old) were sold for scrap in July 2020/Carnival Imagination (1995-built/25-year-old) was sold in August/ and later dismantled at Aliaga Turkey.
CCL-Carnival established cruise ship operations in China via a partnership with its local subsidiary company Costa Asia (in China since 2008).
Representing 90% of CCL's American capacity, by February 2022, the fleet's USA-based homeporting operations covered the following ports and ships
- Galveston TX: Breeze, Dream, Vista
- Miami FL: Conquest, Freedom, Horizon, Sunrise
- Port Canaveral FL: Mardi Gras, Elation, Magic, Liberty
- New Orleans (Port NOLA): Glory, Valor
- Long Beach (Los Angeles CA):Miracle, Panorama, Radiance
- Baltimore MD: Legend
- Tampa FL:Pride
- Charleston SC: Sunshine
In summer 2025-2026 (starting May 2025) CCL homeports in LA/Long Beach three ships (Firenze, Panorama, Radiance) for 4- to 8-day roundtrip itineraries visiting destinations along the Mexican Riviera (Cabo San Lucas, Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan) and Baja California (Ensenada, La Paz).
Follows a review of CCL-Carnival Cruise Lines' itinerary program for 2023-2024 scheduled itineraries. For sailing dates (departures, arrivals), call ports times and cruise prices (per person) follow the ship pages listed below.
|Ship Names||Homeports||Itineraries Changes|
From Texas are offered 4-5-day short breaks to Mexico - Cozumel and Cozumel + Progreso/Costa Maya.
2024-2025: 4- and 5-day sailings, charting courses that embrace Mexico's coastal splendor. The allure of Cozumel graces all itineraries, while the 5-day sailings add the second port of call - Progreso.
The 2022-built Carnival Celebration operates year-round roundtrips from Miami (preferential berthing at Carnival Terminal 3). The Caribbean program is based on 6-7-8-day roundtrips to Western Caribbean ports - in Mexico (Cozumel, Costa Mya) and Honduras (Roatan), Eastern Caribbean ports - in Dominicana (Amber Cove), Puerto Rico (San Juan), St Maarten (Philipsburg), St Thomas USVI (Charlotte Amalie) as well as Southern Caribbean ports in the Dutch Antilles' ABC islands - Aruba (Oranjestad), Bonaire (Kralendijk), Curacao (Willemstad).
Conquest operates Miami roundtrips to Southern Caribbean (Aruba, Curacao, Bonaire, Dominicana), Western Caribbean (Key West FL, Cozumel Mexico, Jamaica, Belize, Roatan Honduras), Eastern Caribbean (St Maarten, St Kitts, Puerto Rico, Grand Turk, Grand Cayman) and Bahamas (Freeport, Nassau, Bimini, Half Moon Cay, Princess Cays).
From Texas are offered 6-day Western Caribbean (Mexico, Belize City), 8-day Eastern Caribbean (Key West Florida, Bahamas), 14-day East Caribbean (Key West, Dominicana, Puerto Rico, St Thomas, St Kitts, St Maarten, St Croix, Jamaica) and special 14-day Panama Canal/Gatun Lake voyages (Jamaica, Aruba, Curacao, Colombia, Colon/Panama, Costa Rica, Cozumel).
2025-2026: 6-day cruises traverse the Western Caribbean, spanning the tapestry of Belize, Mahogany Bay in Isla Roatan, and the Mexican allure of Costa Maya and Cozumel. Meanwhile, the 8-day journeys meander through the Eastern Caribbean, embellishing its narrative with the narrative of Key West and 3 captivating stops in The Bahamas: Nassau, Freeport, and Half Moon Cay.
From JAXPORT the ship operates short breaks to Bahamas - 4-day (Freeport + Bimini) and 5-day (Nassau + Princess Cays).
Long Beach/LA California
By the new "COSTA by CARNIVAL" cruise program (targeting CCL's North American source market) two of the newest Costa ships - Venezia (2019) and Firenze (2021) - will be transferred to and start operations for CCL.
Both Costa liners are CCL-managed (while operating ex-USA itineraries) and scheduled for drydock refurbishments prior to the CCL service.
Firenze starts voyages for Carnival in 2024, with homeporting in Long Beach/Los Angeles (California USA). Firenze's inaugural season (May 2024 - April 2025) groups 15 itineraries (3-day to 7-day roundtrips to Baja Mexico ports) including
(2025-2026) 4-day Catalina Island and Ensenada, 5-day Mexican Riviera (Cabo San Lucas and Ensenada)
From Port Canaveral are operated 4-day roundtrips to The Bahamas (Nassau, Princess Cays/Eleuthera) and 5-day roundtrips to Eastern Caribbean (Dominicana, Grand Turk, Nassau, Princess Cays).
Since 2018, the ship is homeported in Miami year-round, operating 6- and 8-day Caribbean itineraries visiting ports in Mexico, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Dominicana, Aruba, Curacao.
Carnival Jubilee is CCL's newest ship, starting operations in 2023 with the Caribbean Maiden Voyage currently scheduled for November 18, 2023. The 7-day roundtrip from Galveston visits Mexico (Cozumel and Costa Maya) and Honduras (Isla Roatan's Mahogany Bay).
Prior to the USA homeporting, Jubilee has scheduled an 18-day Transatlantic repositioning crossing (October 30, 2023/inaugural cruise) from Southampton with call ports Vigo (Spain), Spain's Canary Islands (Gran Canaria and Tenerife), Funchal (Madeira Island, Portugal), and Grand Turk Island.
2025-2026: week-long Western Caribbean voyages, visiting Mahogany Bay in Isla Roatan, along with Costa Maya and Cozumel, Mexico
Port Canaveral/Orlando Florida
From Port NOLA are operated 6-7-day Western Caribbean itineraries (Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Mexico, Belize City, Roatan Honduras) and 7-8-day Eastern Caribbean (Key West Florida and Bahamas - Freeport, Half Moon Cay, Nassau).
Starting in May 2024, Carnival Glory will be homeported in Port Canaveral, replacing Carnival Liberty. Glory will offer roundtrips to The Bahamas departing on Fridays (3-night itinerary to either Nassau or North Bimini) and Mondays (4-night itineraries to either North Bimini+Nassau or Princess Cays+Nassau).
The new Carnival Jubilee starts operations in December 2023, with year-round Caribbean roundtrips leaving from Galveston Texas. The 7-day Western Caribbean roundtrips visit Mexico (Cozumel and Costa Maya) and Honduras (Isla Roatan's Mahogany Bay).
The homeporting in Baltimore MD started on November 14, 2021. The program was based mainly on 7-day roundtrips (departing on Sundays) to Eastern Caribbean (Grand Turk, Dominicana, Bahamas), 6-day Bermuda, 14-day Panama Canal/Gatun Lake (Half Moon Cay, Jamaica, Puerto Limon Costa Rica, Grand Turk)
Carnival Legend's Europe 2024 program includes 17 voyages and homeporting in Barcelona, Civitavecchia-Rome, and Dover-London. Follows a new Caribbean program from Tampa Florida. Europe 2024 schedule starts on April 15th (Transatlantic crossing from Baltimore to Barcelona) and ends on Oct 26th (Transatlantic from Civitavecchia to Tampa).
In September 2023 Carnival announced Legend ship's homeporting in San Francisco (California USA) planned for 2025. From San Francisco (joining Carnival Miracle), Legend is scheduled to offer 10-day roundtrips to Alaska and 4-day roundtrips to Baja Mexico. The new deployment (2025) features two Carnival Journeys/longer itineraries - 14-day Panama Canal (Tampa to San Francisco/April 24th) and 15-day Hawaii and Mexico (roundtrip from SF/September 21st). Alaskan voyages visit Juneau, Skagway Ketchikan, Tracy Arm Fjord (cruising), Prince Rupert (BC Canada). Mexican voyages visit Ensenada.
Following the Alaskan season, in 2025-2026 the ship is homeported in Galveston Texas, with scheduled 4-day to 10-day Western Caribbean itineraries. The short breaks visit Mexico (Cozumel and Progreso), while the longer/10-day voyages visit Grand Cayman, Jamaica (Montego Bay and Ocho Rios), Roatan Honduras (Mahogany Bay), Belize City, Cozumel.
The liner operates short breaks/3-4-day getaways to Bahamas visiting Nassau and Nassau+Princess Cays/Eleuthera.
In May 2024, Liberty starts voyages from Port NOLA/New Orleans (Louisiana) replacing Carnival Glory (to be homeported in Port Canaveral). Departing on Sundays from Port NOLA, Liberty will operate 7-day Western Caribbean itineraries plus a 7-day Bahamas+Eastern Caribbean itinerary.
Since November 2022, Carnival Luminosa (former Costa ship) operates voyages in Australia-New Zealand (roundtrips from Brisbane Queensland) as well as Alaskan voyages from Seattle (Washington USA) during summer.
Transpacific relocation crossings between Australia and Alaska (summer deployment) are offered seasonally - in spring and fall.
(Alaska 2023 summer) 6-7-8-day roundtrips from Seattle to Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan, Tracy Arm Fjord, Victoria BC Canada.
(Alaska 2025) 7-day Alaska sailings departing every Thursday from May 1st, 2025, to September 11th, 2025, with stops in Alaska and Victoria, British Columbia.
(2025) 29-day transpacific sailing from Brisbane to Seattle, visiting Japan and Alaska
From Port Canaveral are offered longer (6-8-day) voyages to Western Caribbean (Mexico's Cozumel and Costa Maya, Belize City), Eastern Caribbean (St Maarten, St Kitts, Puerto Rico, Grand Turk) and Southern Caribbean Aruba, Curacao, Grand Turk).
From Miami are offered 6-8-day Eastern Caribbean, 6-day Western Caribbean and 8-day Southern Caribbean voyages.
From Norfolk, Magic offers roundtrips to The Bahamas (7-day to Bimini Island, Nassau, Freeport), Eastern Caribbean (9-day to Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk, Amber Cove Dominicana), Bermuda (7-day to King’s Wharf), Canada and New England (9-day to Portland ME, St John NB, Halifax NS, Sydney NS).
Mardi Gras' Caribbean program is based on homeporting in Port Canaveral/Orlando for roundtrips to ports in Eastern Caribbean (San Juan, Amber Cove, Grand Turk) and Western Caribbean (Mexico, Roatan Honduras, Dominicana).
From California the ship operates 4-5-day Baja Mexico (Catalina Island CA, Ensenada) and 5-6-day Mexican Riviera (Cabo San Lucas, Ensenada) itineraries. From LA are also offered 14-day voyages to Hawaii (Honolulu, Kahului, Nawiliwili, Hilo, Ensenada Mexico).
From San Francisco are offered 4-day Baja Mexico (Ensenada) as well as 10-day roundtrips to Alaska (Juneau, Skagway, Icy Strait Point/Hoonah, Tracy Arm Fjord, Victoria BC Canada).
(2025) 16 cruises from 3 European homeports: Lisbon, Portugal; Dover, U.K.; and Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy. These itineraries span 9 to 15 days and encompass a broad spectrum of European destinations, from the British Isles and Northern Europe to the Baltic and the Mediterranean.
Following the 2025 summer season in Europe, the ship repositions to Tampa Florida for 6- to 8-day Caribbean cruises.
The 2019-built Panorama operates on 6-7-8-day Mexican Riviera roundtrips out of LA/Long Beach CA, making it the first newbuild Fun Ship based in California in 20 years (since 2002).
Ex-Long Beach itineraries visit Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, Cabo San Lucas, La Paz, Ensenada.
(2024) 18-day Transpacific Carnival Journeys from Long Beach to Tokyo-Yokohama (August 22nd), visiting Ketchikan AK, Endicott Arm Fjord, Sitka AK, Icy Strait Point, Kushiro, Aomori; 25-day Transpacific Carnival Journeys from Singapore to Long Beach (October 12th), visiting Ho Chi Minh (Phu My), Kota Kinabalu, Manila, Guam, Honolulu, Maui (Kahului).
(2025-2026) Long Beach to Mexican Riviera - 6-day (Ensenada and Cabo San Lucas/overnight) and 8-day (Cabo, La Paz, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta)
From Tampa the ship operates year-round short breaks to the Western Caribbean (4-day to Cozumel Mexico, and 5-day to Cozumel and Grand Cayman) plus 5-day to Bahamas (Bimini, Nassau).
The ship's principal homeport is Tampa USA, from where are operated 5-6-7-8-day roundtrips to Western Caribbean (Grand Cayman, Mexico, Roatan, Belize) and 8-day Panama Canal/Gatun Lake (visit Puerto Limon Costa Rica and Grand Cayman).
In June 2022 was inaugurated the ex-UK program based on homeporting in Dover (England) and 9-day and 12-day itineraries visiting British ports (Scotland, Wales, Ireland), Atlantic Europe (Spain, Portugal, France, Belgium, Netherlands), Baltic (Norwegian Fjords).
Note: CCL's previous homeporting in Dover was in 2013.
Following the US$ 200M refurbishment, in 2022 Carnival Radiance was homeported in Los Angeles and since May 2022 operates short breaks to Baja Mexico (itineraries previously served by the fleetmates Imagination and Inspiration) visiting Ensenada (3-day) and Catalina Island CA with Ensenada (4-day).
(2025-2026) Long Beach to Bajai Mexico - 3-day (Ensenada) and 4-day (Ensenada and Catalina Island)
Currently, the ship is homeported in Mobile AL (Caribbean) and Seattle WA (Alaska). The 7-day Alaskan itinerary visits Tracy Arm Fjord, Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan, Victoria BC Canada.
(October 2023-April 2024) 6- and 8-day Eastern and Western Caribbean roundtrips from Mobile AL visit Half Moon Cay (Bahamas Carnival private island), Mahogany Bay (Roatan Island, Honduras), Bimini, Mexico, Jamaica. The Caribbean deployment is seasonal, alternating with Alaska (during summer).
(2024-2025) new voyages from Mobile AL: 5-, 6- and 8-day Caribbean itineraries, along with a 12-day Carnival Journeys Southern Caribbean sailing; 2 new Carnival Journeys (longer itineraries out of Seattle WA) including CCL’s first-ever voyage from Seattle to Hawaii and a relocation voyage to New Orleans, which features a Panama Canal transit.
(Alaska 2025) 21 week-long sailings departing Seattle from April 14th, 2025, to September 9th, 2025, with various Alaskan ports and Victoria.
(2025) Two transatlantic cruises from Barcelona to Miami and Miami to Seattle, along with a 10-day Carnival Journeys Alaska cruise and a 15-day Hawaii roundtrip cruise.
Since 2019, the ship is homeported in Sydney NSW.
Carnival Splendor Australian program includes the following itineraries (all are Sydney roundtrips):
Note: The ship was to be transferred to P&O Australia in late 2019, but the plan was revised and canceled.
2024: 15-day Carnival Journeys from Sydney to Singapore (July 21st), visiting Brisbane, Airlie Beach, Cairns, Lombok Island, Benoa (Denpasar, Bali); 16-day Carnival Journeys from Singapore to Sydney (August 24th), visiting Tanjung Priok (Jakarta, Java), Benoa (Denpasar, Bali), Lombok Island, Darwin, Airlie Beach, Moreton Island.
From South Carolina, the ship operates on 4-5-6-day roundtrips to Bahamas (Nassau, Freeport, Half Moon Cay), 8-10-day Eastern Caribbean (Puerto Rico, St Thomas, Grand Turk, Dominicana, St Maarten, St Kitts, St Croix).
Between February 2025 and April 2025, Sunshine is homeported in Norfolk Virginia, to offer 4 roundtrip itineraries:
Sunrise is currently homeported in Miami for 5-day Eastern Caribbean, 4-5-day Western Caribbean and 4-day Bahamas voyages.
From Port NOLA are offered 4-5-day Western Caribbean getaways to Mexico. The 4-day weekend itinerary (to Cozumel) departs on Thursdays, while 5-day itineraries depart Mondays and Saturdays and visit Cozumel with Progreso or Costa Maya.
(2025) New sailings from New Orleans including 4 and 5-day itineraries with stops in destinations like Cozumel and Costa Maya, Mexico, as well as longer 6-7-day cruises. Two special Carnival Journeys itineraries sail to and from New Orleans to Barcelona in June 2025.
Since September 23, 2018, the ship is homeported in Galveston TX for year-round Western Caribbean itineraries to Jamaica (Montego Bay), Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize City, Mexico (Cozumel).
In 2023 Nov starts homeporting in Port Canaveral for 6-8-day Eastern Caribbean and 8-day Southern Caribbean itineraries visiting Bahamas, Grand Turk, Dominicana, St Maarten, St Thomas, Puerto Rico, Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao.
NYC New York
The former Costa Venezia started voyages for Carnival on June 15, 2023, with homeporting in New York City/Manhattan Terminal. The inaugural schedule (opened for booking in Nov 2022) included 22 itineraries (10 different voyage durations) visiting 25 ports/destinations in 14 countries.
The program started with a 15-day Transatlantic crossing (RepositionCruises.com) from Barcelona to NYC (May 29-June 13, 2023).
The summer 2023 schedule included 4-5-6-8-day roundtrips to the Caribbean, Flrorida-Bahamas, Bermuda, and Canada-New England USA.
The winter 2023 schedule (starting September 29, 2023) has alternating 8- to 12-day roundtrips from NYC to Bahamas and Eastern-Southern Caribbean (St Thomas USVI, San Juan Puerto Rico, Aruba, Dominicana, Grand Turk, Bahamas' Half Moon Cay and Princess Cays). Shorter/9-day voyages also visit Miami.
(2025) 3 special 14-day Carnival Journeys cruises: 2 of these itineraries encompass visits to St. Thomas, Antigua, St. Lucia, Grenada, Barbados, the British Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico, while the third explores the Panama Canal, Grand Turk, Aruba, Curacao, Panama, Costa Rica, Jamaica, and Grand Cayman.
left the fleet in 2022
Sensation operated roundtrips to Bahamas (3-day Nassau, 4-day Nassau and Freeport, 5-day with Half Moon Cay), Western Caribbean (Cozumel Mexico, Key West FL), Eastern Caribbean (Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Grand Turk, Dominicana)
For 2022 was planned Sensation to move from Miami to Mobile Alabama, taking up itineraries previously assigned to Fantasy and Fascination.
left the fleet in 2022
Between May 2019 and Oct 2022, Ecstasy was homeported in JAXPORT (Jacksonville Florida) to operate year-round on 4-5-day short breaks to The Bahamas. In JAXPORT, Ecstasy replaced Elation.
(March 5-October 10, 2022) 4- and 5-day Western Caribbean itineraries from Mobile (Alabama, USA) with 4-day sailings visiting Cozumel (Mexico) and 5-day sailings visiting Cozumel and Costa Maya/Progreso.
Ecstasy also had a 10-day "Carnival Journeys" voyage (September 12, 2022) visiting Key West, Grand Turk, Amber Cove, Grand Cayman, Cozumel.
On October 10, 2022, departed Ecstasy's last voyage for Carnival.
The 128-ft (39-m) long Carnival AirShip is a painted like cruise ship dirigible. The blimp floated around Galveston and Houston (September 7-8-9, 2018) as part of a 30-day air voyage across the Southern USA. The voyage started in Nashville TN (Aug 25) and ended in Atlanta GA (Sept 26-30), visiting along the route Memphis TN (Aug 29), Dallas (Sept 1-3), Austin (Sept 4), San Antonio (Sept 5), Houston (Sept 7-9), Galveston (Sept 9), New Orleans (Sept 10), Mobile AL (Sept 13), Tampa (Sept 15), Miami (Sept 16-20), Orlando (Sept 21), Canaveral (Sept 22) and Jacksonville (Sept 23).
Carnival AirShip is part of the company's marketing campaign about homeport changes (new ship deployments) - Carnival Vista (Galveston, since September 23), Carnival Horizon, (Miami, since September 22), Carnival Breeze (Port Canaveral, since September 30), and Carnival Magic (Miami, since September 30).
Carnival cruises to Cuba
Carnival expanded its cruises to Cuba with an additional 23 three- to five-day itineraries to Havana in 2020 planned for 5 different liners departing from 4 US East Coast homeports - Carnival Triumph (from Fort Lauderdale), Carnival Sunshine (from Charleston SC), Carnival Sensation (from Miami). Carnival Sunshine was the biggest passenger ship to ever visit Havana and the liner with the first-ever Cuba cruise from Charleston SC. The new Cuba cruises include:
- Carnival Sunshine: 8 five-day voyages featuring Freeport and Havana departing January 6, February 3 and 17, March 2, 16 and 30, April 13 and 27, 2020.
- Carnival Triumph-Sunrise: 8 five-day itineraries featuring an overnight in Havana and a day-long visit to Nassau departing January 11, February 8 and 22, March 7 and 21, April 4 and 18, 2020; as well as a 5-day cruise featuring an overnight in Havana and a visit to Half Moon Cay departing January 20, 2020.
- Carnival Sensation: 4-day voyage featuring an overnight in Havana and an extended visit to Nassau departing on March 19, 2020, as well as a couple of 5-day trips with an overnight in Havana and visits to Nassau and Freeport departing February 15 and 29, 2020.
Note: According to the current Cuban law, US citizens of Cuban origin (born in Cuba) are not allowed to visit the island country (including on cruise ships). Regardless of their US citizenship status, Cuba-born Americans were denied booking on cruise itineraries visiting ports in Cuba. However, the situation changed in April 2016, after Carnival Corporation negotiated with the Cuban government to allow ships with Cuban-born passengers, as such US citizens are allowed to visit the country on USA-Cuba charter flights. The Carnival-fathom cruise line started Miami to Cuba cruises in May 2016 with the P&O UK ship Adonia (now Azamara Pursuit). The brand was terminated in April 2017.
Alaska Airlines offers regular nonstop flights to Havana from Los Angeles (California USA). An 80-min ling JetBlue flight from Fort Lauderdale (Florida) to Havana costs less than USD 100. Previously, air travel from the USA to Cuba was thought charter flights only.
Carnival Journeys cruise itineraries
Since 2015, Carnival Cruise Line offers the so-called "Carnival Journeys" itineraries. These are longer than usual voyages with length ranging between 9 and 15 nights. Some are one-way (relocation cruises).
"Carnival Journeys" offer a more in-depth port of call experiences than the shorter itineraries of 7-8 nights. Among the highlights are live entertainment and exotic culinary experiences that reflect the local cuisine and cultural traditions.
The onboard "journey" experiences feature local cuisine specialties (served in the Main Dining Room), cooking demonstration, Academy of Fun (expert lectures), traditional dance performances, themed deck parties, crew connections (opportunities to connect with the ship's staff and crew). The new program "Carnival Journeys" features destinations like Hawaii, Caribbean, Mexico, Panama Canal, Europe.
Among the wide variety of offers are over cruises of up to 5 days, providing passengers with many "mini-cruise" options, including new 4- and 5-day deployments for Carnival Valor( from Port Canaveral) and Carnival Victory-Radiance (from Miami). Longer Carnival Journeys visit exotic ports. Bermuda cruises depart from 7 East Coast USA homeports. The unique Panama Canal cruises on Carnival Pride leave from Tampa.
New Carnival Caribbean cruise shore excursions
Since July 2015, Carnival Cruise Line offers new shore excursions, new customized private tours and new family-friendly enhancements with complimentary beachside activities and complimentary land tours in select Caribbean ports of call. The min age requirement is 5 yo.
The new tour deals pertain to over 50 call ports in Mexico, Hawaii, Bahamas, Caribbean, Canada New England, South America.
- Cozumel (La Casa en la Playa) 5-hour tour offers luxury limited to 30 participants who have access to a beach house for the day with 5-star service provided by the wait staff and personal chef. They also can learn Mexican cooking, making Margaritas and mojitos.
- Cozumel ("Photo Safari and Beach Expedition') is a 2-days tour starting with a 1-hour photo seminar on the cruise ship. On the next day, the tour continues with visiting a national park and beaches.
- Ocho Rios ("Eat, Drink and Dance') is a food-themed tour about Jamaica's culture, music, and food. After food tasting at jerk hut, passengers enjoy dining at Miss T's Kitchen. Follows a visit to a beach bar (where mixologists create rum cocktails), then ends with reggae dance lessons.
- Ocho Rios ("Jamaican Home for the Day') is a day-long tour on which cruise passengers enjoy their own Jamaican home, with included home-cooked lunch.
- Charlotte Amalie / St Thomas Island USVI ("Eat, Drink and Walk") is a walking tour starting with a bus-drive to StPeter Mountain Great House and Botanical Gardens. Passengers can try 24 different local rums and learn how to make banana daiquiri and local food.
CCL also offers new "family-friendly" cruise shore excursions in the Bahamas, Mexico, and the Caribbean. On these tours, kids aged 5 and under receive complimentary beach excursions if their parents book the excursion.
- Freeport Bahamas ("Family Beach Escape') tour starts with a bus ride to a beach resort, where kids enjoy treasure hunts, face-painting, sandcastle-making competitions, and other supervised outdoor activities. Lunch is included.
- Cozumel ("Island Beach Escape for Families by Power Catamaran') tour starts with a power catamaran ride to Passion Island and its white-sand beaches and resort facilities. Adults enjoy water trampolines, pedal boats, beach volleyball, while kids play is a dedicated beachside playground. A Mexican-style buffet is included.
- Nassau Bahamas ("Family Treasure Hunt with Lunch at Blue Lagoon') - discover hidden treasures, answer trivia questions, win Pirate's Bounty. Grilled lunch at Blue Lagoon Island is included.
- Montego Bay Jamaica ("All Inclusive Family Beach Resort Getaway') tour is at Seawinds Beach Club and includes live entertainment and complimentary buffet lunch.
Carnival offers private tours via motor coaches, yachts, and helicopters. These excursions are all guided by experienced locals. Carnival ships have a new tour dispatch system, from where tours depart as local operators board the ship to meet the participants.
All new cruisetour offers complement CCL's "Shore Excursion Best Price Guarantee" providing a 110% refund in OBC/onboard credit if passengers find a better price on similar land tour deals. Each Fun Ship also has a dedicated "shore excursion desk" with experienced staff to answer any questions and to recommend particular tours. The company's tour section was revamped with enhanced navigation, more videos, and photos, online reservations, guest-written tour reviews.
Carnival Cruise Line related cruise news
Carnival Panorama faced challenges heading to a Portland shipyard for repairs due to height restrictions. Despite not typically docking in late...November 23, 2023
- Cruise Industry
CCL-Carnival Cruise Line has unveiled plans to introduce groundbreaking innovation on its upcoming Carnival Jubilee: 5G mobile connectivity. Setting...November 18, 2023
- Cruise Industry
CCL-Carnival Cruise Line's upcoming vessel, Carnival Jubilee, has successfully completed her inaugural round of sea trials, marking a significant...November 17, 2023
- Cruise Industry
CCL-Carnival Cruise Line has unveiled new cruise options for the 2025-2026 season from its Australian homeports, Sydney NSW and Brisbane QLD, as of...November 15, 2023
The US Coast Guard has confirmed that air crews conducted an extensive search off Louisiana's coast on Monday, November 13 after a Houma man was...November 14, 2023
Carnival Panorama has encountered engine issues for the second time in two years, leading to disruptions in her current voyage. The complications...November 11, 2023
- Cruise Industry
Cruise vessels are opting to consume fuel while docked/berthed in port instead of utilizing plug-in shore power facilities in certain cities, as...November 10, 2023
- Cruise Industry
CCL-Carnival Cruise Line is expanding its offerings on the West Coast, introducing a new cruise to mark the debut of Carnival Firenze in Long Beach...November 9, 2023
Two passengers made off with US$12,800 worth of sculptures during a September voyage on the Carnival Legend cruise, as revealed in an FBI search...November 6, 2023
A CCL-Carnival Cruise Line vessel, carrying numerous passengers, encountered an unforeseen setback in its preparations for departure on Wednesday...November 2, 2023
- show more news