Carnival Spirit current position
Specifications of Carnival Spirit
|Year built||2001 / Age: 19|
|Builder||Rauma Shipyard (Rauma, Finland)|
|Building cost||USD 375 million|
|Owner||Carnival Corporation & PLC|
|Operator||Carnival Cruise Line|
|Speed||22 kn / 41 kph / 25 mph|
|Length (LOA)||292 m / 958 ft|
|Beam (width)||32 m / 105 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||85920 gt|
|Passengers||2124 - 2549|
|Decks with cabins||6|
|Sister-ships||Carnival Legend, Carnival Miracle, Carnival Pride, Costa Atlantica, Costa Mediterranea|
|Christened by||Elizabeth Dole|
Carnival Spirit Itineraries
|Date||Itinerary||Departure Port||Price from|
|2021 Jun 12||15 days, one-way from Singapore to Brisbane||Singapore||$997|
|2021 Jun 27||7 days, round-trip South Pacific||Brisbane||$358|
|2021 Jul 04||7 days, round-trip South Pacific||Brisbane||$427|
|2021 Jul 11||4 days, round-trip Airlie Beach||Brisbane||$263|
|2021 Jul 15||3 days, round-trip Getaway||Brisbane||$178|
|2021 Jul 18||7 days, round-trip South Pacific||Brisbane||$413|
|2021 Jul 25||7 days, round-trip South Pacific||Brisbane||$384|
|2021 Aug 01||7 days, round-trip South Pacific||Brisbane||$379|
|2021 Aug 08||4 days, round-trip Airlie Beach||Brisbane||$214|
|2021 Aug 12||3 days, round-trip Getaway||Brisbane||$178|
|2021 Aug 15||7 days, round-trip South Pacific||Brisbane||$384|
|2021 Aug 22||7 days, round-trip Great Barrier Reef||Brisbane||$411|
|2021 Aug 29||7 days, round-trip South Pacific||Brisbane||$406|
|2021 Sep 05||4 days, round-trip Airlie Beach||Brisbane||$222|
|2021 Sep 09||3 days, round-trip Getaway||Brisbane||$184|
|2021 Sep 12||7 days, round-trip South Pacific||Brisbane||$424|
|2021 Sep 19||7 days, round-trip South Pacific||Brisbane||$449|
|2021 Sep 26||7 days, round-trip Great Barrier Reef||Brisbane||$451|
|2021 Oct 03||4 days, round-trip Airlie Beach||Brisbane||$297|
|2021 Oct 07||3 days, round-trip Getaway||Brisbane||$209|
|2021 Oct 10||7 days, round-trip South Pacific||Brisbane||$440|
|2021 Oct 17||7 days, round-trip South Pacific||Brisbane||$392|
|2021 Oct 24||7 days, round-trip South Pacific||Brisbane||$392|
|2021 Oct 31||4 days, round-trip Airlie Beach||Brisbane||$222|
|2021 Nov 04||3 days, round-trip Getaway||Brisbane||$194|
|2021 Nov 07||7 days, round-trip South Pacific||Brisbane||$406|
|2021 Nov 14||7 days, round-trip South Pacific||Brisbane||$406|
|2021 Nov 21||10 days, round-trip Papua New Guinea||Brisbane||$615|
|2021 Dec 01||4 days, round-trip Airlie Beach||Brisbane||$247|
|2021 Dec 05||7 days, round-trip South Pacific||Brisbane||$456|
|2021 Dec 12||4 days, round-trip Airlie Beach||Brisbane||$275|
|2021 Dec 16||3 days, round-trip Getaway||Brisbane||$260|
|2021 Dec 19||7 days, round-trip South Pacific||Brisbane||$568|
|2021 Dec 26||7 days, round-trip South Pacific||Brisbane||$645|
|2022 Jan 02||4 days, round-trip Airlie Beach||Brisbane||$330|
|2022 Jan 06||3 days, round-trip Getaway||Brisbane||$260|
|2022 Jan 09||7 days, round-trip South Pacific||Brisbane||$562|
|2022 Jan 16||7 days, round-trip Great Barrier Reef||Brisbane||$557|
|2022 Jan 23||7 days, round-trip South Pacific||Brisbane||$557|
|2022 Jan 30||4 days, round-trip Airlie Beach||Brisbane||$247|
|2022 Feb 03||3 days, round-trip Getaway||Brisbane||$205|
|2022 Feb 06||11 days, round-trip South Pacific||Brisbane||$666|
|2022 Feb 17||3 days, round-trip Getaway||Brisbane||$205|
|2022 Feb 20||7 days, round-trip South Pacific||Brisbane||$426|
|2022 Feb 27||4 days, round-trip Airlie Beach||Brisbane||$247|
|2022 Mar 03||3 days, round-trip Getaway||Brisbane||$205|
|2022 Mar 06||7 days, round-trip South Pacific||Brisbane||$426|
|2022 Mar 13||7 days, round-trip South Pacific||Brisbane||$426|
|2022 Mar 20||7 days, round-trip Great Barrier Reef||Brisbane||$447|
|2022 Mar 27||4 days, round-trip Airlie Beach||Brisbane||$247|
|2022 Mar 31||3 days, round-trip Getaway||Brisbane||$205|
|2022 Apr 03||7 days, round-trip South Pacific||Brisbane||$481|
|2022 Apr 10||7 days, round-trip South Pacific||Brisbane||$481|
|2022 Apr 17||7 days, round-trip South Pacific||Brisbane||$508|
|2022 Apr 24||4 days, round-trip Airlie Beach||Brisbane||$261|
|2022 Apr 28||3 days, round-trip Getaway||Brisbane||$205|
|2022 May 01||7 days, round-trip South Pacific||Brisbane||$452|
|2022 May 08||7 days, round-trip South Pacific||Brisbane||$452|
|2022 May 15||7 days, round-trip South Pacific||Brisbane||$452|
|2022 May 22||4 days, round-trip Airlie Beach||Brisbane||$247|
|2022 May 26||3 days, round-trip Getaway||Brisbane||$205|
|2022 May 29||7 days, round-trip South Pacific||Brisbane||$452|
|2022 Jun 05||7 days, round-trip South Pacific||Brisbane||$452|
|2022 Jun 12||7 days, round-trip Great Barrier Reef||Brisbane||$475|
|2022 Jun 19||4 days, round-trip Airlie Beach||Brisbane||$247|
|2022 Jun 23||3 days, round-trip Getaway||Brisbane||$205|
Carnival Spirit Review
Review of Carnival Spirit
IMPORTANT: Due to scheduled drydock refurbishment projects, in September 2020 CCL cancelled all planned for 2020 and 2021-Q1 itineraries for 4 ships.
- Carnival Magic itineraries from Miami Florida were cancelled from November 7, 2020, through March 13, 2021 (1st departure).
- Carnival Paradise itineraries from Tampa Florida were cancelled from November 2, 2020, through March 19, 2021 (1st departure).
- Carnival Valor itineraries from NOLA New Orleans were cancelled from November 2, 2020, through April 29, 2021 (1st departure), including two Transatlantic crossings - from NOLA (January 25) and from Barcelona (February 26).
- Carnival Spirit itineraries (29 total) from Brisbane Australia were cancelled from December 6, 2020, through May 16, 2021 (1st departure is on June 12 / repositioning cruise from Singapore to Brisbane).
History - construction and ownership
Carnival Cruise Lines (CCL) is a US company, trademarked brand and subsidiary of Carnival Corporation (shipowner). CCL was founded in 1972 as an independent company by Ted Arison (1924-1999, co-founder of NCL Norwegian). Carnival Cruise Lines has Corporation's largest fleet as both a number of vessels and GT tonnage (ship sizes and capacities). CCL has over 1/5 of the cruise industry's worldwide market.
The 85,920-ton, 2,124-passenger Spirit Class cruise ship Carnival Spirit introduced some significant firsts for the company, including onboard wedding chapels and alternative restaurants. Spirit-class ships also boast an impressive 80% ratio of outside cabins and lots of nice little touches such as 'designer' martinis and museum-quality artwork. The cruise vessel, that introduced a whole new class for Carnival, shares its basic design with Costa Atlantica and offers all the best of earlier Carnival ships - a waterslide, lots of bars and extensive kids' facilities.
In early 2012, Carnival Spirit underwent a US$7 million refurb to make her ready for a new home in Australia. Carnival added a totally new aqua park and waterslide, Green Thunder; a 180-foot-long twister which starts with a near-vertical drop; the Serenity deck space, Carnival's signature adults-only retreat; and a new top-deck barbecue place. Following the last refit in 2015, Aussies also benefit from enhanced coffee, more draught beers and more cabins with interconnecting doors.
Cruise itinerary program
Carnival Spirit itinerary program is based on departures from Sydney, Australia to the South Pacific Islands (Vanuatu, New Caledonia, Fiji). The ship also calls at Tasmania and operates on Sydney cruises to nowhere.
Spirit was the first Fun Ship with roundtrip itineraries leaving from China. In spring 2018 it returned to Australia. In 2019, to Asia (China) will be deployed Carnival Splendor.
In 2020, Carnival Spirit becomes company's first liner homeported in Brisbane (Queensland Australia). The announcement was made in June 2018 and followed the approval for building a new cruise terminal in Brisbane QLD. In 2020, the liner will operate year-round on roundtrips out of Brisbane to ports in New Caledonia and Vanuatu, plus short-break itineraries to North Queensland destinations.
For summer 2020, the ship will be deployed in Alaska (replacing Carnival Legend). The Alaskan itinerary program offers a total of 18x 7-day plus 2x 8-day and 1x 9-day roundtrips with departures from homeport Seattle WA (April through September 2020).
- 7-day Glacier Route cruises (May 5 through September 1, 2020) visit Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan, Victoria BC, as well as cruising Tracy Arm Fjord, while the 8-day cruise (April 27, 2020) adds Icy Strait Point.
- 9-day roundtrip from Seattle (September 8-17, 2020) features all ports on the 8-day itinerary plus day-long visit to Sitka.
- (2020) special 7-day Alaskan cruise departs from Vancouver (April 20 and arrives in Seattle (April 27).
- (2020) 2 longer "Carnival Journeys" are offered to Hawaii - 10-day from Honolulu to Vancouver (departing April 10) and 11-day from Vancouver to Honolulu (departing September 25). Both itineraries offer extended (day-long) calls at 4 ports (Hilo, Kona, Maui, Nawiliwili) with the 11-day cruise spending full-day and overnight in Maui.
Carnival Spirit has a total number of 1062 cabins (of which 50 Suites) in 33 grades. Most Carnival Spirit staterooms are 185-sq. foot insides (213), oceanview (167) and balcony (632, with verandas of 40-85 sq.feet). There are also 50 Suites and 16 wheelchair accessible cabins, but no Spa accommodations. Suites include separate sitting areas, refrigerators, spa bathtubs (whirlpools), double sinks and large balconies with two tables, sun loungers, and sitting chairs. Extra services for suite guests include priority embarkation and disembarkation.
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
The 1,300-seat, 2-deck Empire Restaurant features Napoleonic splendor, with ceiling domes decorated with murals and crystal chandeliers. Even the portholes are trimmed in gold. The grand circular staircase boasts a sculpture of Napoleon at his coronation. Open seating breakfast is served between 8 a.m. and 10 a.m. only on Deck 2 and a Sea Day Brunch is introduced for days at sea between 8:30 a.m. and 1 p.m. to replace breakfast and lunch in the main dining room. La Playa Grill Lido Restaurant situated on Deck 9 is a buffet eatery referred to by both names - Lido and La Playa Grill. It occupies a large area on Lido deck between adults-only Serenity Retreat and the main Dome pool.
There are ten food stations serving various food for lunch and dinner, such as Asian, deli sandwiches and wraps, carvery meats, salads, and desserts. The ice-cream and pizza bars, found in the eatery, are open 24 hours. The Taste Bar on Deck 2 is a little kiosk that hands out small morsels of the items on offer in the dining room. It's open in the early evening. Two chefs prepare and serve the little bites.
Follows the complete list of Carnival Spirit restaurants and food bars.
- Empire Restaurant (1250-seat aft Dining Room, with two fixed dinner seatings, or “Your Time Dining”; offers “Seuss At Sea” themed breakfasts for $5; with the Napoleon Room restaurant annex).
- Nouveau Steakhouse (156-seat reservations only restaurant, serving seafood and prime beef steaks; with dance floor and stage for live performances)
- La Playa Grille Lido Buffet Restaurant (1458-seat self-service restaurant with complimentary food stations; operates as dinner bistro in the evenings)
- Sushi Bar (complimentary).
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
Carnival Spirit provides cruise experience like taking a journey all over the world. Legendary designer Joe Farcus got inspired to memorialize the "creative spirit" on the liner. The showroom is figured with Egyptian hieroglyphics and murals, the piano bar is a homage to Shanghai and "Chinoise" style, the Artist's Lobby accents famed European artists, the library of Chippendale is accurate of an English country manor. The hodgepodge of styles might strike you.
Carnival Spirit has much day-time fun with a big emphasis on trivia - there will be 3 to 4 games with different themes on any given day. There are also staff-led activities, such as golf chipping competitions, table tennis competitions, family scavenger hunts, along with towel-folding lessons and dance classes. A couple of lectures take place each day, given by the cruise director or by a visiting expert. Sushi-making demonstrations take place in the Bonsai Sushi and ticketed wine-and-cheese tasting in adults-only Serenity (held at least once per cruise).
Follows the complete list of Carnival Spirit lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens, and adults.
- Versailles Lounge (484-seat, hosts Punchliner Comedy Club/brunch)
- Dancin’ Dance Club Disco and Nightclub (118-seat, 2-level Dance Club)
- Pharaoh’s Palace Theatre (1167-seat, 3-level main show lounge, also used for movies, bingo games, game shows)
- Monarch’s Card Room (20-seat)
- Fountain Cafe (112-seat specialty coffee bar and patisserie)
- The Champions Bar (67-seat sports bar); Artists’ Lobby Lounge (85-seat wine bar); Shanghai Bar (106-seat piano bar); Snack Bar, Towel Bar; Deco Foyer Lounge and Bar (66-seat)
- Club Cool Jazz Club (135-seat jazz lounge)
- Louis XIV Casino (278-seat, served by Louis XIV Bar)
- Spirit Atrium Spirit Lobby (9-deck high midship open area with dance floor and stage, served by 147-seat Spirit Lobby Bar)
- The Jungle Interior Promenade (52-seat)
- Chippendale Library and Internet Cafe (23-seat, 24-hour Internet computers)
- Wedding Chapel (30-seat)
- Deco Walk Upper Promenade (52-seat)
- The Fun Shops (offers “Bon Voyage” items, duty-free liquor, jewelry, fashion boutiques, souvenirs, logo items); Formalities Shop (tuxedo rentals, special occasion gifts); Studio Photo Gallery and Shop
- Techno Video Games Arcade (24-hour)
- Circle C (kids' lounge complimentary area with video games, parties, movies, planned activities)
- Camp Carnival (aft located kids' lounge area with complimentary kids programmes and supervised activities)
- Spa Carnival complex (with Steam Rooms, Saunas, Whirlpool, 10 Treatment Rooms, Classique Beauty Salon and Fitness Center)
- Serenity (adult-only relaxation area with Whirlpool, Pool, Bar and sunbathing area with lounges)
- Sun Pool (with 1 Whirlpool) and Dome Pool (main, with 1 Whirlpool; covered with sliding roof), both served by Canopy Bar)
- Club O2 (teens club lounge with video games, movies, karaoke, and themed parties)
- Carnival Waterworks Aqua Park (with Twister Waterslide, PowerDrencher, two mini racing slides, Green Thunder Waterslide, play areas with jets and fountains)
- Volleyball-Basketball Court; 9-hole Mini Golf Course; Jogging Track, Shuffleboard.
Carnival Spirit - user reviews and comments
Photos of Carnival SpiritAdd Photo
Carnival Spirit ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
CCL-Carnival Cruise Line announced the sale of Carnival Imagination and Carnival Fascination, which had previously been put on long-term layup and...September 19, 2020
- Cruise Industry
Princess Cruises and P&O Cruises Australia also extend Australia & New Zealand suspension through...
Due to the continued progression of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic and related decisions of health authorities, governments and airlines...August 28, 2020
- Cruise Industry
CCL-Carnival Cruise Line announced that in light of continuing Australian travel restrictions due to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, it was...August 27, 2020
- Cruise Industry
CCL-Carnival Cruise Line announced new plans for its fleet expected to generate tremendous passenger excitement once the company resumes sailing...July 23, 2020
- Cruise Industry
CCL-Carnival Cruise Line announced on Monday, May 4, it will cancel the 2020 Alaskan cruise scheduled for the ship Carnival Spirit. The company...May 5, 2020
- Cruise Industry
CCL-Carnival Cruise Line announced a plan to use CCL ships to meet up, exchange and repatriate thousands of shipboard staff-crew back to their home...April 30, 2020
- Cruise Industry
Carnival will for the first time sail to Kimberley, Papua New Guinea (PNG) and Dravuni Island (Fiji) in 2021-2022. Carnival Cruise Line's Australia...November 10, 2019
A passenger has fallen overboard from Carnival Spirit, various social media groups and CruiseMapper readers report. Alert has been raised at around 5...March 30, 2019
A cruise passenger was treated by a medical team on a Carnival Cruise Line's ship off the Coffs Coast (NSW Australia). Westpac Life Saver Rescue...January 16, 2019
- Cruise Industry
Carnival Cruise Line announced their cruise ship deployments for voyages to Alaska and Hawaii in 2020. The company is moving its Carnival Legend...November 10, 2018
- show more news
Other Carnival Cruise Line cruise ships
Carnival Spirit Wiki
Fun Ship 2.0 upgrade was done in 2015. Spirit is Carnival's first Spirit-class liner, with sisterships Legend, Miracle, Pride, and the Costa Cruises ships Atlantica and Mediterranea. The vessel was christened by godmother Elizabeth Dole - North Carolina's senator (state's first female senator, mandate 2003-2009).
Spirit was also the first Fun Ship cruising to Alaska and Hawaii. It features world's steepest waterslide at sea ("Green Thunder"). Ship's drydock refurbishment in San Francisco (in 2012) cost USD 7 million. During the drydock were added "WaterWorks" (aquapark) and "Serenity" (adults-only resort deck).
During winter 2017-2018 season, Carnival Spirit was repositioned to China to offer Asian cruises roundtrip from homeport Shanghai. The seasonal redeployment was due to scheduled drydock in Singapore. Spirit was homeported in Sydney Australia since 2012, performing strongly on the local market. The decision made Spirit the first-ever Carnival ship departing from China. It returned to Australia in spring 2018 to continue the previous year-round itinerary program from Sydney NSW. The other Carnival Asia ship was Carnival Splendor (repositioned in spring 2018). Carnival Asia cruise shipping operations are via the partnership between Carnival Cruise Lines and Carnival Corporation's subsidiary Costa Asia.
Carnival Spirit refurbishment 2018 review
The ship's drydock in 2018 (May 23 - June 5) was in Singapore. The upgrades included new entertainment options at new clubs for youth activities - kids-only arts-crafts area ("SoulPlay") and teens-only area ("Warehouse Arcade"). Other changes included:
- redesigned retail area - new duty-free shopping brands - Clinique, Lacoste, Quay Australia, Seafolly, Swarovski, Swatch
- redesigned Photo Gallery - Pixels Digital Photo Gallery - upgraded kiosk allowing passengers to view then purchase photos through smartphones and iPads
- updated Fitness Centre (latest training equipment)
In 2021-Q1 (February-March-April / refurb dates TBA) Carnival Spirit will be drydocked at Sembcorp Shipyard (Singapore), mainly for general maintenance works.
In 2017, on the Australia-based Carnival Spirit was introduced new kids programming, that includes new onboard activities, games, themed parties.
- On the ship were introduced an inflatable bocce court and giant-sized board games (Cranium, Trivial Pursuit, Guess Who).
- Another 2017 addition is the Cluedo (aka Clue) murder mystery game that is a group activity involving 2-6 players. At the beginning of each cruise, costumed characters present their alibis, and the players attempt to solve the crime mystery through clues given to them throughout the cruise.
- New themed entertainment events are the shows "80s Rock" (music-themed), "Glow Night" (fashion-themed) and "Lip Sync Battle" (a musical competition involving choreography, costumes, and stage sets).