UnCruise Adventures fleet
Review of UnCruise Adventures
One of the industry's best small cruise lines, UnCruise Adventures company operates smaller-sized vessels with regularly scheduled itineraries in the regions of Southeast Alaska, Hawaii, Baja Mexico (Sea of Cortes), USA (Columbia and Snake rivers, Washington coastal voyages) and Canada (British Columbia).
UnCruise Adventures offers an extraordinary small-ship cruising experience on expedition voyages to remote places. The line operates a fleet of small expedition boats and upscale yachts with up to 88 passengers capacity.
The company was established in January 2013 (as "Un-Cruise Adventures"), following the merger of two US cruise companies - American Safari Cruises and InnerSea Discoveries. While combined fleet's vessels remained the same, their new names were changed to reflect the company's new expedition style. Company's owner and CEO is Dan Blanchard.
UnCruise Adventures sells an uncommon product at very competitive prices, which besides affordable rates also consist of:
- Comfortable and luxury expedition experience. It's a great bet for those who have the latest REI gear and are ready to use it but also want to enjoy simple pleasures like massages (one massage is included) and fine wine.
- The expedition staff is charged with helping guests with activities like identifying the flora or spotting humpbacks. These cruises emphasize on familiarization with the geology, culture, flora, and fauna, by means of soft-adventure activities and guided shore excursions.
- A day in Alaska might start with a canoe tour to view a glacier and end with kayaking under the midnight sun. In Hawaii, passengers might visit a macadamia nut farm and later snorkel by moonlight. Night sailings depend on the venue. Excursions are included fleetwide.
- UnCruise ships offer memory foam mattresses, reasonably priced full bars and special kayak launching pads. All cabins are above the deck with outward facing opening windows, perfect for enjoying the view.
- Dinners are usually casual affairs, short on menu choices and long on a conversation. There are typically a couple of main course options, often based on freshly caught seafood. Most alcoholic beverages are included. Ship bars are open 24 hours a day and stocked with top liquor brands.
River cruises (only offered onboard the SS Legacy) provide "softer" adventures than the Adventure ones, with the extent of recreation that is a little walking in town. These cruises highlight the history, culture, and wildlife of the ports of call through a series of tours and enrichment lectures on board. There are options for those who look for more activity during free time in port. After the excursions, passengers have the opportunity to explore on their own by window shopping or hiking the local trails.
UnCruise caters to a wide range of travelers. The Adventure cruises' Sea of Cortez, Hawaii and Alaska itineraries attract active 30- to 70-year-old eco-conscious enthusiasts and families. River sailings appeal to mature clientele with an adventurous spirit. As there are no kayaks or skiff rides on these, guests embrace their desire to explore the wilderness and culture of the regions visited, in a state of total relaxation. Most passengers are North Americans, but you may also see some Australians and Europeans.
In early-February 2019, UnCruise announced a new 7-day itinerary (themed "Aloha Hawaii Adventure Cruise") part of company's "Hawaii Small Ship Cruise" 2019 program on Safari Explorer. The scheduled 6 summer departures (July-August) visit 4 Hawaiian islands. The 7-day roundtrips are from Kaunakakai (Molokai Island) to Lanai Island (Day 3), Maui Island (Olowalu, Day 4), seaday (Day 5) and Hawaii Island (Da 6 Milolii / Honomalino Bay, Day 7 Kailua-Kona, Day 8 Disembarkation / Kawaihae Harbor). UnCruise operates seasonally in Hawaii since 2011. The new voyages include themed activities like seakayaking, hiking, snorkeling, paddle boarding, wildlife viewing, skiff (boat) tours.
Itinerary of UnCruise Adventures
Currently, UnCruise Adventures line owns and operates the following vessels:
- Safari Endeavour (1983, built as Newport Clipper for Clipper Cruise Line)
- Safari Explorer (1998)
- Safari Quest (1992)
- Safari Voyager (1982)
- Wilderness Adventurer (1984)
- Wilderness Discoverer (1992)
- Wilderness Explorer (1976)
- SS Legacy (1983) - Columbia and Snake river cruises in the USA.
UnCruise Alaskan program
In 2018, UnCruise Adventures added the 7th vessel to its Alaskan fleet. The 88-passenger SS Legacy, newly outfitted with skiffs and sea kayaks, operates in Alaska as part of the company's Alaskan itinerary program with visits to Glacier Bay National Park and new itineraries.
- Among the 2018's additions is Haines, where is offered a float trip down Chilkat River (available on most UnCruise Alaskan itineraries). Also offered are a guided hiking tour, bikes (for rides through the town) and an onboard lecture by local Chilkat Tlingit people.
- The company also added new "Alaska Insider" cruises as themed voyages. The "Alaska Insider" theme is joining company's "Alaska Awakening" campaign highlighting the benefits of Southeast Alaska cruising during spring. These voyages take place in April and May, featuring expert lectures and guided tours by authors, nature writers, glaciologists, bear and salmon experts, ethnobotanist, historian, a marine ecologist, along with cultural heritage guides from Alaska Native Voices Educational Institute.
- The new "Alaska Insider" themed cruises are offered on the boats Safari Endeavour, Safari Explorer, SS Legacy, Wilderness Adventurer, Wilderness Discoverer, and Wilderness Explorer.
The company's theme voyages lineup also includes itineraries visiting ports in Columbia and Snake Rivers, Costa Rica, Panama, Pacific Northwest USA (Coastal WA and the San Juan Islands). Voyages are themed on marine biology, ornithology, photography, storytelling, music, craft beers, wines, spa-wellness.
UnCruise's fleet of small boats and boutique yachts offers vessel capacity of 22-86 passengers. The adventure voyages last 1-2 weeks. All activities and shore trips are included in the fares.
Our Un-Cruise Adventures ships schedules give you all sailing dates and the line's tickets prices PP. Follow the ship links to compare prices, port departures and arrival dates in ports of call. This way you can plan and budget better your Un-Cruise small ship vacations - knowing where and when all their ships go, and for how much.
UnCruise Adventures 2019 Alaska Cruises
UnCruise Adventures announced its schedule of 2019 Alaska cruises and opens Alaska cruise season earlier via its first adventure cruise departing April 6. Seven small vessels sail 142 departures on a total of 11 itineraries with new Alaska’s Glacier Country itinerary roundtrip from Juneau. Between April and September, expedition ships and boutique yachts sail adventure cruises that last 1 to 2 weeks from homeports of Seattle, Ketchikan, Juneau, Sitka, and Petersburg. Ships carry 22-90 passengers.
In spring 2019, UnCruise Adventures offers 24 Alaska Awakening departures in April-May and starts spring cruises the earliest in company history. On every departure, an Alaska Awakening Insider theme host shares intimate knowledge of the land. Every Alaska cruise features adventure activities in wilderness, such as hiking, kayaking, paddle boarding, bushwhacking, skiff excursions, whale watching. Knowledgeable expedition guides lead shore tours and provide interpretation.
- Alaska’s Glacier Country (new for 2019): The 90-passenger S.S. Legacy and 36-passenger Safari Explorer sail a total of 36 departures roundtrip from Juneau with 1 day in Glacier Bay National Park.
- Northern Passages & Glacier Bay: The 76-passenger Wilderness Discoverer, 60-passenger Wilderness Adventurer and 74-passenger Wilderness Explorer sail 24 departures on a week-long itinerary from Juneau to Sitka (or reverse).
- Glacier Bay Small Ship Cruise: Wilderness Adventurer sails 5 departures on a week-long cruise roundtrip from Juneau with 2 days in Glacier Bay National Park.
- Glacier Bay National Park Adventure Cruise: Wilderness Adventurer and Wilderness Explorer sail a total of 20 departures roundtrip from Juneau with 3 full days in Glacier Bay National Park.
- Alaska Yacht - Bears, Bergs & Bushwhacking: The 22-passenger Safari Quest sails 16 departures on an 8-night itinerary out of Petersburg.
- Alaska’s Glaciers & Whales: Safari Endeavour sails 7 departures from Juneau to Sitka.
- Whales, Wildlife & Glaciers: Safari Endeavour sails 7 departures on an upper Inside Passage itinerary Sitka to Juneau.
- Alaska Fjords and Glaciers: Wilderness Discoverer and Wilderness Explorer sail a total of 20 departures from Juneau to Ketchikan (or reverse).
- Alaska’s Inside Passage & San Juans Cruise: S.S. Legacy, Safari Endeavour and Wilderness Discoverer sail 6 departures on a 14-night itinerary that sails from Seattle to Juneau or reverse.
Rates for week-long Alaska cruises start at US$2,995 PP, double occupancy and include all beverages including alcohol; innovative meals; adventure activities; hot tub; fitness equipment; transfers. Land packages are available to Kenai Peninsula, Juneau, Denali National Park, and Talkeetna.
Small Ship Adventure Cruises 2019
New 10- and 12-night voyages in Panama and Costa Rica highlight the newest UnCruise Adventures' schedule of adventure cruises for 2019. The Seattle-based line operates 8 adventure ships and a partner vessel in Galapagos, carrying around 22-90 passengers in Alaska, Columbia & Snake Rivers, coastal Washington, Mexico's Sea of Cortes, Galapagos, Hawaii, Panama, and Costa Rica.
Small ships with adventure gear take guests deeper into the destinations via paddle boarding, kayaking, hiking, biking, snorkeling, rafting, bushwhacking and skiff excursions.
- Southeast Alaska (from US$2,995 per person - 1 new itinerary visiting Glacier Bay National Park -UNESCO site): 7 small ships sail a total of 142 departures on 11 itineraries with new Alaska's Glacier Country itinerary roundtrip from Juneau. Homeports include Seattle, Ketchikan, Sitka, Juneau, Petersburg, from April through early October. 2-week itineraries are available.
- Columbia and Snake River (from US$3,745 per person - new wine & culinary cruise): A new week-long Rivers of Wine & Culinary cruise is offered aboard S.S. Legacy in 2019 with 6 trips planned in November-December, roundtrip from Portland Oregon. The voyage visits wineries in 4 AVAs, a cidery, a brewery. It emphasizes hand-crafted meals all with local ingredients, as well as food and wine pairings. A wine expert and sommelier sail onboard, while a guest chef joins for presentations.
- Coastal Washington (from US$4,195 - Olympic National Park-UNESCO site): 15 departures in spring and fall roundtrip from Seattle exploring the shores of Puget Sounds, Olympic Peninsula and San Juan Islands.
- Mexico's Sea of Cortes – UNESCO Site (from US$3,795 per person): From January through March and December, Safari Endeavour sails a total of 16 departures on a week-long Baja's Bounty itinerary roundtrip from San Jose del Cabo. Depending on the time of year, snorkeling and swimming with whale sharks are offered, along with a visit to Magdalena Bay to see grey whales up close.
- Galapagos Islands – UNESCO site (from US$8,345 per person): 6 departures are offered of a 7-night Darwin's Discoveries itinerary on La Pinta sailing roundtrip from Guayaquil.
- Hawaiian Islands – Humpback Whale National Marine Sanctuary (from US$4,695 per person): Safari Explorer sails a total of 22 departures on Hawaiian Seascapes itinerary between Moloka'i and Hawai'i from January through March, November through December.
- Panama and Costa Rica (from US$4,795 per person - new 10- and 12-night itineraries): From April through September, Safari Voyager sails 9 departures on 12-night Pure Panama & Costa Rica voyage. From January 2019 through April 12, an 8-night Unveiled Wonders itinerary sails between Costa Rica and Panama 15 times.
UnCruise Adventures related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
UnCruise Adventures announced its first summer Hawaii Islands cruises with the addition of 6 departures in July and August this year. The 7-day small...February 9, 2019
- Cruise Industry
New 10- and 12-night voyages in Panama and Costa Rica highlight the newest UnCruise Adventures' schedule of adventure cruises for 2019. The...June 29, 2018
- Cruise Industry
UnCruise Adventures announced its schedule of 2019 Alaska cruises and opens Alaska cruise season earlier via its first adventure cruise departing...June 9, 2018
- Cruise Industry
UnCruise Adventures added a new Alaska Insider cruises to the lineup of its 2018 theme cruise offerings. The Alaska Insider theme is joining Alaska...March 26, 2018
A cruise ship sailing in Southeast Alaska has cut its anchor free on Sunday, August 27, to release a humpback whale that was tangled in the anchor...August 30, 2017
- Cruise Industry
UnCruise Adventures will add a 7th ship to its Alaska fleet in 2018. The 88-passenger SS Legacy, newly outfitted with skiffs and...April 8, 2017
- show more news