Small Cruise Lines fleet
Review of Small Cruise Lines
Small ship cruise deals offer expedition-style travel in some of the most pristine regions of the world. Most of these deals are all-inclusive packages that include pre- and post cruise hotels, all transfers (including domestic flights), and often even both international flights to and from the destination country.
Small ship cruise travel is the best (often the only) way to explore beautiful sea vacation destinations, make new friends, enjoy the intimacy that all these not cheap (but still affordable) offers provide on a regular basis.
You won’t find much in the way of theater productions or casinos, but that leaves room for educational pursuits. Small ships commonly organize enrichment seminars on everything – from local culture to photography. Sometimes local performers (historians, dancers, and musicians) are welcome on board to entertain.
Small ships go into the smaller ports inaccessible for big ships. This allows “expedition travelers” to experience the local people, culture and traditions of the destinations, and not only the tourist areas. This presents an intimate travel experience. You can see the wildlife up close, get to know the crew and form a bond with fellow passengers. Small ships, by definition, are with a way smaller capacity, so you’ll likely meet the same people over and over on a daily basis.
Still, the biggest advantage of the small cruise ships is vacation flexibility. Booking availability is usually great, so picking your vacation time is easier. Not to forget the amazing choice of exotic itineraries on which travelers can navigate the most fascinating destinations in the world, including narrow fjords, remote islands, and even inland waterways.
Small ship cruises are not always “champagne and caviar” deals on luxury cruise ships. Most often, they’re more about the easy access to less-trafficked parts of the globe, usually avoided by medium size and large cruise ships.
The unique small ship cruises’ intimate experiences mean giving up the typical for big ship vacations amenities – like multiple dining venues, Broadway-style shows, and expansive kids’ programs. However, enjoying a personalized fancy setting while exploring the world on a cruise ship comes at premium prices as small ship cruises offer the highest standard of dining and accommodation, exceptional service and fantastic onboard fellowship. It’s really a matter of taste. And most first-time travelers on small ship cruise vacations fall in love with this unique experience, refuse to go back to mega-ships, and return again and again to the small-ship cruising – if the money is not an issue, that is.
Small cruise lines
This is a list of the world’s most popular small ship cruise companies. Again, there should be also added river travel companies, the largest among which are Viking, Uniworld, Avalon, AmaWaterways, CroisiEurope, Scylla.
- Alaskan Dream Cruises (AlaskanDreamCruises.com) is Allen family-owned company (founded 1970) operating Inside Passage itineraries - wilderness adventures on small-sized expedition ships. Its ships also visit exclusive ports of call in Alaska, including natives-owned lands and a private island. Cruise prices are around USD 600 pp per night.
- Aurora Expeditions (AuroraExpeditions.com.au) is among the pioneers of polar expedition cruising, as well as a leading adventure travel company on the Australian market. The company was established in 1991 by Greg Mortimer (one of the first Australians to climb Mt Everest without oxygen) and his wife Margaret Mortimer. The company Initially specialized in small-group cruises to Antarctica. In 2008 it was sold and the new owners started expedition voyages in Norway's Svalbard Islands, Russia's Far East, Greenland, Papua New Guinea and on Amazon River. In 2014 was inaugurated Alaska's Inside Passage itineraries and also launched land-river-sea expeditions in Ecuador (northwestern South America). In 2015, the cruise line inaugurated an African cruise tour with a luxury safari expedition cruise along Chobe River (Botswana). For polar operations, Aurora Expeditions charters the ice-strengthened Polar Pioneer (fka Akademik Schuleykin), as well as the Russian research ships Spirit of Enderby (aka Professor Khromov) and Akademik Shokalskiy.
- Coral Expeditions (CoralExpeditions.com) is among the best for South Pacific Islands cruises. Each vessel has a high-speed tender boat and Zodiacs for landings.
- International Expeditions (owned by TUI Group) and Metropolitan Touring are among the best choices for Galapagos Islands. Metropolitan Touring's Galapagos ships are larger compared to most of the yachts deployed in this region.
- Oceanwide Expeditions (Oceanwide-Expeditions.com) operates ice-strengthened ships in Antarctica and the European Arctic.
- Star Clippers owns sailing ships operating in the Caribbean and also Europe (Mediterranean). These clipper ships have an elevator, massage rooms, and offer room service. Deals are inclusive of marina-based sports (kayaking, wind sailing, waterskiing).
- "Sea Cloud Cruises" has two sailing yachts operating in the Caribbean and Europe. Both ships can be also fully chartered to a private party.
- "Island Windjammers" owns sailing ships on Caribbean islands itineraries year-round.
- "Variety Cruises" owns super-yachts (motorized and sailing) and operates in the regions of Mediterranean Sea, West Africa, and the Indian Ocean, also in Central America.
- "Katarina Line" (Croatia-based) also operates as an international travel booking agency for other lines. katarina owns around 40 small-sized ships and yachts in the region of Adriatic Sea (Dalmatian Coast). Each of the ships can be fully chartered.
- "Peregrine Adventures" is among the best lines in Antarctica. The itineraries are with regular roundtrip departures from Argentina (Ushuaia) and Chile (Punta Arenas), with a duration between 8 and 20 days. Among the visited destinations are Shetland Islands, Antarctic Peninsula, Drake Passage, Falkland Islands, South Sandwich Islands. Deals are inclusive of hotels and all transfers. Fly cruise deals include departures from Buenos Aires. International flights are not included in the fares.
- "Noble Caledonia" (UK-based) operates chartered riverboats and owns two ships.
- Quasar Expeditions (QuasarEx.com) is another major player on the luxury Galapagos cruising market. The company provides professional naturalists, and most of the tours (kayaking, snorkeling, scuba diving, walking, hiking) are included in the fares.
- "Aggressor Fleet" owns an impressive number of smaller luxury yachts and operates in the Caribbean, Hawaii, Galapagos, Southeast Asia, Red Sea, Maldives, also in the South Pacific Ocean.
- G Adventures (Gadventures.com) is a Galapagos cruise line brand. In July 2017, it acquired the UK-based company Swan Hellenic. G-Adventures restarted Swan Hellenic's operations in 2018. The company owns the MS Expedition (ice-strengthened vessel).
- "Pearl Seas Cruises" operates in USA (Great Lakes), Canada (Canadian Maritimes) and also in the Caribbean. On January 23, 2017, started the first cruise to Cuba from Port Everglades (Fort Lauderdale Florida). The 10-day itinerary visited Havana plus other Cuban ports. In 2017, the 210-passenger ship Pearl Mist had 11 voyages from Fort Lauderdale to Cuba (January through April), plus more scheduled for winter season 2017-2018.
The following companies have their individual pages at CruiseMapper. Each of them provides top-quality, small ship cruising experiences on comparably larger vessels.
- American Cruise Lines is famous for having large paddlewheel ships deployed on the US rivers Mississippi, Snake and Columbia. Other ACL ships cruise in Alaska also along the East Coast USA and Canada, Hudson River, and on Florida inland waterways.
- Grand Circle Cruise Line owns riverboats (operating in Europe and Asia) and also ocean ships. Its deals are inclusive of all tours, onboard lectures, local gourmet food specialties.
- Hurtigruten, along with its regular (year-round operated) Norwegian coastal itineraries also operates in the regions of the European Arctic and Antarctica. Unique tours in Europe offered by Hurtigruten are Northern Lights, Spitsbergen, polar circle landings (Greenland).
- Lindblad Expeditions has an exclusive partnership with National Geographic. The experience features wildlife watching on kayaks and Zodiacs, and complimentary tours lead by National Geographic naturalists.
- Quark Expeditions is the leading Antarctica cruise line.
- SeaDream has two (for now) mega-yachts operating in the Mediterranean (summer) and Caribbean (winter). Deals are fully all-inclusive.
- Silversea Expeditions operates a small fleet cruising in Alaska, Asia, Indian Ocean, Pacific Ocean, Galapagos. Deals are fully all-inclusive.
- Windstar provides some of the best "top luxury" products on the small cruising market. All ships in the fleet are relatively bigger, with marina platforms and all the modern onboard amenities.
- Un-Cruise Adventures is among the best small Alaskan cruise lines. During winter, its are repositioned to Hawaii, Baja Mexico, USA Northwest Coast. The fleet features a replica steamer - SS Legacy, cruising on Snake and Columbia rivers in the USA.
Itinerary of Small Cruise Lines
Since small ship cruising deals are mainly provided by riverboats, you can also see an extensive list of river cruise lines ships at CruiseMapper's River Cruises hub. CruiseMapper is tracking cruises on rivers in Europe, USA, Russia, and Asia as both itineraries and prices. It additionally provides lines reviews, along with information on major inland waterways and best-rated river travel destinations around the world.
Below you can see destination-grouped lists of small cruise ships. All ship links (in the "Fleet" section) provide information on itineraries, prices, deck plans and cabins, general vessel details, a concise history, as well as live AIS current position ship tracking.
In this survey, we use all the Silversea line's official YouTube video releases. Each of those is add-free and will give you a "real life" review of the destination's highlights, and professionally presented information on the small cruising experience it provides.
Most of the listed here ships are actually big yachts and all can be full-chartered.
- Celebrity Xploration
- Celebrity Xperience
- Celebrity Xpedition
- Encantada (yacht)
- Estrella del Mar
- MV Evolution (G10)
- Flamingo I
- Galapagos Aggressor II
- Galapagos Aggressor III
- Galapagos Grand Odyssey
- Galapagos Legend
- Galapagos Odyssey
- Galapagos Voyager
- MV Origin
- MY Grace
- Isabela II
- La Pinta
- National Geographic Endeavour
- National Geographic Endeavour 2
- National Geographic Islander
- Nemo III
- Queen of Galapagos
- mv Santa Cruz 2
- Silver Galapagos
- Treasures of Galapagos (catamaran)
- Xavier III
Follows the Galapagos travel video review by Silversea.
South America (Antarctica and Patagonia)
- Grigoriy Mikheev
- MV Hondius, MV Ortelius, MV Plancius
- Island Sky
- Marina Svetaeva
- Ocean Adventurer, Ocean Diamond, Ocean Endeavour, Ocean Nova
- mv Polar Star
- Sea Explorer
- Sea Spirit
- Silver Explorer
- Stella Australis, Ventus Australis
- mv Ushuaia
Follows the Antarctica ship travel video review by Silversea.
European and Russian Arctic
The Earth's Arctic region includes the Arctic Ocean and territories of 8 countries (Russia, Canada, USA, Greenland, Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Finland). Arctic expedition itineraries are operated almost year-round (excluding winter months).
- Russian icebreaker ships
- Akademik Shokalskiy
- Lyubov Orlova
- Professor Molchanov
- Professor Multanovsky
- MS Expedition
- MS Fram
- MS Spitsbergen
- National Geographic Explorer
- Ocean Diamond
- Ocean Endeavour
- Ocean Nova
- Polar Pioneer
- Rembrandt van Rijn
- Sea Adventurer
- Sea Endurance
- Sarfaq Ittuk
Follows the Arctic ship travel video review by Silversea.
Hawaii and Alaska
- Admiralty Dream
- Alaskan Dream
- American Spirit
- Baranof Dream
- Chichagof Dream
- MV Misty Fjord
- Kona Aggressor II
- Island Odyssey
- Island Roamer
- National Geographic Sea Bird
- National Geographic Sea Lion
- Safari Endeavour
- Safari Explorer
- Safari Quest
- Snow Goose
- Wilderness Adventurer
- Wilderness Discoverer
- Wilderness Explorer
Follows the Alaskan ship travel video review by Silversea.
Europe's Mediterranean is among the largest market for small ship travel. Featured destinations in this region are French Riviera, Italian Riviera, Greek Isles, Dalmatian Coast (Adriatic).
- Star Clippers ships
- Aegean Odyssey
- Aegean Paradise
- ms Berlin (FTI)
- Club Med 2 (sail ship)
- ms Hamburg
- Harmony G
- Harmony V
- La Belle de l’Adriatique
- Royal Eleganza
- Sea Cloud
- Sea Cloud 2
- Seadream 1
- Seadream 2
- Variety Voyager
- MV Voyager
The UK and Baltic Sea
Europe's Baltic region is most attracting for the opportunities to visit Russia and Scandinavia (Norway, Sweden, Finland). Among the world's most popular destinations here are Norwegian Fjords and St Petersburg. The UK (British Isles) itineraries visit ports in England, Scotland, Wales, and Ireland. This region features over 6000 isles.
- mv Corinthian
- ms Deutschland
- ms Hamburg
- Hebridean Princess
- Hebridean Sky
- Lord of the Glens
- Sea Cloud II
Follows the Northern Europe and UK ship travel-dedicated video review by Silversea.
East Coast USA and Canada
New England is comprised of six US states along the Atlantic coast. Smaller ships here often sail on inland waterways as well.
Caribbean and Bermuda
Caribbean small ship cruise itineraries visit popular island destinations, as well as mainland ports in Mexico, the USA, South America. Among the most visited destinations are the Bahamas, Grand Turk Island, Jamaica, Barbados, Grand Cayman Island, St Kitts Island, St Maarten Island, St Lucia Island, Aruba Island, Curacao Island, Roatan Island, US Virgin Islands, British Virgin Islands, also ports and inland waterways in Florida (USA).
- Star Clippers ships
- Belize Aggressor 3
- Cayman Aggressor 4
- Carib Dancer
- Diamant (schooner)
- MV Clio (Tere Moana)
- Okeanos Aggressor
- Panorama 2
- Sagitta (sail ship)
- Safari Voyager
- Sun Dancer II
- Turks and Caicos Aggressor 2
- Vela (sail ship)
- Wind Dancer
Follows the Caribbean ship travel-dedicated video review by Silversea.
South Pacific, Australia, and New Zealand
The South Pacific Ocean as travel destination includes the archipelagos of Oceania (Melanesia, Micronesia, Polynesia), Australia and New Zealand. Among the most visited in this region are the islands of Fiji, Tahiti, Vanuatu, Papua New Guinea, New Caledonia, Solomon Islands, Tasmania, the Great Barrier Reef.
- Andaman Explorer
- Aranui 3
- Aranui 5
- Caledonian Sky
- Coral Expeditions 1
- Coral Expeditions 2
- Fiji Princess
- Island Dancer 2
- Island Passage
- Kimberley Quest 2
- National Geographic Orion
- Oceanic Discoverer
- Paul Gauguin
- Reef Endeavour
- Silver Discoverer
- Solway Lass
- Spirit of Enderby
- True North
- Wind Spirit (sail ship)
Follows New Zealand and Australia ship travel-dedicated video review by Silversea.
Small Cruise Lines related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
For the first time in more than ten years, SeaDream Yacht Club revealed plans to return to South Florida. The SeaDream II cruise ship is scheduled to...January 28, 2020
- Cruise Industry
The company Aranui Cruises will be building a new cruise ship for Tahiti's southern part. The newbuild (Aranui 6 / AraMana) is planned for launch in...January 22, 2020
- Cruise Industry
Mystic Cruises' new brand "Atlas Ocean Voyages" announced it is adding 4 more cruise ships to its fleet. Company's fleet will total 5 vessels by the...January 21, 2020
- Cruise Industry
Coral Expeditions launched a re-imagined program of Great Barrier Reef expedition cruises from June 2021 featuring longer, more immersive experiences...January 18, 2020
- Cruise Industry
Aurora Expeditions launched its 2021-2022 programme aboard both ships (Greg Mortimer and Sylvia Earle) which both have the patented Ulstein X...January 15, 2020
A violent weather system in the South Pacific Ocean affected the Fiji Islands cruise ship schedules. Captain Cook Cruises Fiji took the decision to...January 14, 2020
- Cruise Industry
New for this year, Pearl Seas Cruises announced a 7-night Panama Canal cruise aboard Pearl Mist - the region’s only fully stabilized small ship...January 13, 2020
One Ocean Expeditions advised its clients it was set to be placed into administration and confirmed its upcoming January 17th “Ultimate...January 12, 2020
- Cruise Industry
Oceanwide Expeditions announced their 365-day (all year round) Arctic cruise program. All departure dates and cabin rates for Arctic 2021 season are...January 11, 2020
- Cruise Industry
Quark Expeditions opened bookings for company's newest polar cruise ship Ultramarine. The inaugural itineraries are cruises to the Canadian Arctic...January 9, 2020
- show more news