Ocean Victory Review and Specifications
Specifications of Ocean Victory
|Year built||2020 new ship|
|Builder||CMIH-China Merchants Heavy Industry (Haimen shipyard, Jiangsu China)|
|Class||INFINITY ULSTEIN CX103 (ice-strengthened expedition ship)|
|Building cost||USD 65 million|
|Owner||SunStone Ships Inc|
|Operator||Victory Cruise Line|
|Speed||16 kn / 30 kph / 18 mph|
|Length (LOA)||104 m / 341 ft|
|Beam (width)||18 m / 59 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||7400 gt|
|Passengers||120 - 160|
|Decks with cabins||4|
|Sister-ships||Greg Mortimer, Ocean Explorer, Ocean Odyssey|
Review of Ocean Victory
MS Ocean Victory cruise ship is an ice-strengthened (polar class 1A / PC6) expedition vessel scheduled for delivery in September 2020. The boat is owned by SunStone Ships (USA) and operated under charter by Aurora Expeditions (Australian company specializing in Arctic and Antarctic cruises). This is the second unit in a series of four "Ulstein CX103" design (Infinity-Class) expedition vessels, with sisterships Greg Mortimer (2019), Ocean Explorer (2021) and Ocean Odyssey (2022).
The patented ULSTEIN X-BOW design is one of the unusual for expedition ship features, The vessel also utilises the latest technologies in naval engeneering. The ship is technically managed by Cruise Management Intl, Miami. CMI Leisure Miami handles hotel operations.
Aurora Expeditions cooperated with the US-based shipowner SunStone Ships Inc to construct a custom-designed vessel for expedition-type voyages in the polar regions, providing industry's best adventure travel vacation experiences and modern amenities.
With the highest for passenger vessel ice-class 1A (Polar Class 6 / PC6), MS Ocean Victory has icebreaking capacity 1 m (3 ft) and complies with maritime industry's latest polar code requirements and specifications. The boat offers unprecedented levels of safety and environmental protection.
Aurora Expeditions is among the pioneers of polar expedition cruising and a leading adventure travel company on the Australian market. The company was one of the first to introduce ship travel to numerous remote destinations in the polar regions. Established in 1991, in 2008 Aurora Expeditions was sold and the new owners remained true to the original expedition spirit. Initially offering small-group cruises to Antarctica, Aurora Expeditions now also operates expedition voyages to Norway's Svalbard Islands, Russia's Far East, Greenland, Papua New Guinea, Africa (Chobe River safari cruises in Botswana), Amazon River. For polar operations, Aurora Expeditions charters the ice-strengthened Polar Pioneer (fka Akademik Schuleykin), as well as the Russian research ships Spirit of Enderby (aka Professor Khromov) and Akademik Shokalskiy.
The major advantage of the patented "ULSTEIN X-BOW" design is the ship's ability to navigate with improved stability in comparison to traditional bow-design vessels. X-BOW vessels are less subject to vertical motions (induced by waves), continuing on course smoothly while maintaining high speeds. The ship's engines use less fuel, which results in reduced air emissions and fuel consumption.
The ship is equipped with the latest propulsion and return-to-port systems. It also has top-notch dynamic positioning technology - computer-controlled systems allowing automatic maintenance of the vessel's position through its own propulsion units (thrusters and propellers). This allows stable floating while maintaining the necessary stability for launching watercraft - and without using anchors.
The newbuild expedition vessel features dedicated outdoor observation areas (including fore-located Observation Deck with two Hydraulic Platforms and two Viewing Platforms), stern marina (watersports platform serving company's seakayaking, snorkeling and scuba diving programs), a fleet of 20x Zodiacs (large-capacity motorized boats used for passenger transportation - tendering and landings). The aft-located Zodiac loading platform is a new design and allows easier and faster boarding. Sun Deck (top-deck forward) is furnished with premium garden furniture (sofas, armchairs, sunloungers) and used for both relaxation and wildlife viewing. Top-deck bow is the Observation Lounge (served by its own Bar) and midship is the funnel (with four stacks / engine exhaust pipes).
Other facilities include Medical Centre (Infirmary), Change Room (Mudroom), Bar Lounge (lecture theater forward on Deck 5), Dining Room Restaurant, Ship Shop, Lobby area (Reception Desk), Library, Art Room, Wellness Centre (Fitness, Spa, Sauna Room, Treatment Rooms for Massages), Lower Sun Deck (Deck 7 aft, with lifeboats and liferafts), Upper Sun Deck (Deck 8 midship, with sunbathing area and two whirlpool hot tubs).
Four Zodiac Docks (2 on each side, hull access at sea-level) serve as boat launching platforms.
Ocean Victory ship has a total of 80 staterooms for 120 passengers (max capacity 160).
- Most staterooms (80% of all, excepting only Aurora cabins with portholes on Deck 3) are with a private, step-out balcony accessible from the living area via sliding, floor-ceiling glass door. Each balcony is furnished with a small table and two deck chairs. 60% of all cabins can be booked with triple occupancy (accommodate a 3rd person on pull out sofabed).
- Hotel beds (King-size or two twin, size 200 x 160 cm, ample underbed storage space for suitcases), sleeping couch (sofabed), bedside cabinets, mirrored vanity (writing desk / dressing table) with chair, built-in dressers with drawers, mini-bar / refrigerator, 42-inch flat HDTV (local and satellite reception), phone (onboard communication only), digital clock / alarm, seating area (small table with 1 or 2 armchairs), spacious wardrobe (closet with hangers, drawers, electronic safe), individual climate control, medical emergency button.
- Each stateroom has a private, full-size bathroom with shower / WC, hairdryer, premium bath amenities,.
- Suites are in 3 categories - CS-Captain's, JS-Junior and BS-Balcony. These are the largest staterooms, with double-size balconies and offering extra amenities, such as in-room dining service (continental breakfast served on the balcony).
The ship has a total of 20 pairs of connecting rooms (balconied cabins) that can be booked as one "family stateroom" for up to 6 persons. There are no wheelchair-accessible cabins (suitable for passengers with disabilities).
Ocean Victory wiki
- The ship-chartering agreement includes deal with the Miami-based company CMI Leisure Management. Ship management services include staffing, hotel services, housekeeping, onboard food and beverages, purchasing supplies, logistics. CMI Leisure is among world's leading companies providing small-ship management services.
- On March 16, 2017, SunStone Ships Inc signed the shipbuilding agreement with the Hong Kong-based company "China Merchants Industry Holdings" (abbrev CMIH) for construction of 4 expedition vessels. SunStone is world's largest (by tonnage) shipowner chartering exclusively expedition vessels to cruise travel companies. Since there is an option for additional 6 sisterships, by this "ULSTEIN CX103" project could be built up to 10 units.
- The USD 260 million shipbuilding order for the 4 boats was signed in June 2017.
- The company CMIH is a subsidiary of China Merchants Group (among country's largest groups of companies). Following the contract with SunStone Ships, CMIH signed an agreement with the Norwegian company Ulstein Design (part of Ulstein Group, headquartered in Ulsteinvik Norway) to supply the ship design and equipment package (ULSTEIN COM / Navigation Bridge system, and the integrated automation systems ULSTEIN IAS and ULSTEIN POWER), and also to supervise the shipbuilding works. For the ship's hotel design was contracted the Florida (USA)-based company Tomas Tillberg Design International (specializing in passenger vessel design). The design features Ulstein's patented X-BOW (providing fuel efficiency and significantly improved stability in rough seas). The vessel complies with the 2009-issued SOLAS requirements for "Virtual Anchorage" and "Safe Return to Port" (SRtP).
- CMIH also signed an agreement with the Finnish company "IS Makinen Inc" to pre-fabricate the vessels' cabins, wet units and interior public spaces. For this purpose, Makinen established a cabin assembly plant and an interior workshop facility at the shipbuilding yard in China.
- Project's shipbuilder is the subsidiary company "China Merchants Heavy Industry" (abbrev CMHI, shipyard near Shanghai).
- The ship is powered by 4x Wartsila-20 diesel engines (two 6-cylinder plus two 8-cylinder) running on HFO (heavy fuel oil). The 6-cylinder engines are fitted with Wartsila-NOR (exhaust gas cleaning system, NOx gas reducing technology). The contract with Wartsila was signed in November 2017.
- MS Ocean Victory's charter contract with Aurora Expeditions was signed on June 6, 2018. In October 2018 was announced that the vessel will be also chartered by Victory Cruise Line (subsidiary of American Queen Steamboat Company). There were rumors about Poseidon Expeditions also considering a charter deal for the new boat.