Ocean Nova last position
Ocean Nova last location was at West Africa (coordinates 28.46504 N / -16.24503 W) cruising en route to TENERIFE,SPAIN. The AIS position was reported 17 hours ago.Current Position
Specifications of Ocean Nova
|Year built||1992 / Age: 29|
|Builder||Orskov Yard AS (Frederikshavn, Denmark)|
|Class||ice-strengthened expedition ship|
|Owner||Noble Caledonia UK|
|Speed||12 kn / 22 kph / 14 mph|
|Length (LOA)||73 m / 240 ft|
|Beam (width)||11 m / 36 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||2183 gt|
|Passengers||68 - 78|
|Decks with cabins||2|
|Former names||Sarpik Ittuk|
Ocean Nova Review
Review of Ocean Nova
The 1992-built MV Ocean Nova cruise ship was specifically designed to navigate the ice-choked waters off Western Greenland. The vessel is a perfect choice for polar cruising in the Arctic and Antarctica. It was drydock refitted and upgraded in 2000 and refurbished again in 2006.
The boat carries up to 78 passengers and is classified to operate in ice-filled waters. It is guided by a highly-experienced crew with polar navigation experience. Currently, Ocean Nova cruises in Antarctica (leaving from King George Island, Punta Arenas Chile, Ushuaia Argentina) and also in the European Arctic (leaving from Portsmouth-England, Oban-Scotland, Longyearbyen-Svalbard Norway).
Until 2019, the ship charterer/operator was the polar travel company Quark Expeditions (1991-founded) specializes in expedition cruises to Antarctica and the Arctic via icebreaking vessels (passenger ships with ice-strengthened hulls). Quark Expeditions became part of TUI Travel (UK) in 2007 and since 2016 is owned by Travelopia Group Holdings Ltd (UK).
Since 2019, the ship Ocean Nova is chartered to the Chilean Antarctica Air Cruise company Antarctica21 (fka Antarctica XXI). Currently, Antarctica21 operates a fleet of 2 chartered cruise ships (Ocean Nova and Hebridean Sky) plus the UK-built BAE-146 aircraft. The high-wing aircraft was manufactured by BAE Systems. It has capacity 71 passengers (16 reserved seats) and is operated by Aerovias DAP - Chilean airline operating domestic flights (charter and scheduled) from Punta Arenas.
Ocean Nova is extremely quiet and highly manoeuvrable expedition vessel, which draft is only 12 ft (3,7 m) allowing access to remote islands and unique coastal destinations. The ship is powered by two MAN marine diesel engines (total power output 2000 HP). The hull is ice class 1B. The ship has all 2 lifeboats, which are fully enclosed. Ship-to-shore communications are via Inmarsat Capsat Fleet 77 (satellite phone and Internet).
All the cruise ship cabins are outside and with private facilities. Other onboard amenities include a cosy library (with a rich collection of polar-themed books), spacious dining room, comfortable presentation room, gym (exercise room) and a clinic (with resident licensed doctor). During the drydock refit was added the top deck's glass-enclosed forward observation lounge.
MV Ocean Nova has Zodiac boats, well suited for landings (disembarking) and wildlife watching. Triple occupancy staterooms and some of the twins on the upper deck are with lower and upper beds. All other cabins are with two twins (lower) beds. Each passenger room is also equipped with a chair and has ample storage space for all the expedition equipment and clothing. The panorama lounge is where passengers can enjoy a drink and the onboard specialists conduct lectures themed on history, flora and fauna. Travellers are welcome on the bridge at any time (open-bridge policy).
Quark cruise deals
Quark Expeditions cruise deals are inclusive of:
- 1-night pre-cruise hotel stay, group transfers (airport-hotel on the day prior departure, and hotel-ship on embarkation day)
- onboard accommodation (daily housekeeping service)
- all onboard meals (breakfasts, lunches, dinners) - know that the ship's galley/kitchen can't prepare kosher meals
- all Zodiac landings (daily, weather permitting) and Zodiac transfers and cruising (daily)
- media presentations by Expedition Team members and special guest lecturers
- waterproof expedition boots (onshore landings)
- complimentary Quark Expeditions logoed parka
- lifejackets and immersion suits
- complimentary coffee, tea and cocoa (24 / 7)
- hairdryer and bathrobe (in all cabins)
- pre-departure materials (including maps)
- all service taxes and port fees
- all onboard luggage handling
- emergency evacuation (medevac) insurance to a max benefit USD 100,000 pp
- Fly-cruise deals are inclusive of complimentary house wines (by the glass), beers and spirits on the ship, also of all gratuities (staff and crew) and all domestic flights (prior to embarkation).
- Shipboard laundry and Ironing services are available at additional cost.
- Ship-to-shore communications are via Inmarsat Capsat Fleet 77 (satellite phone and Internet) and cost extra.
Ocean Nova - user reviews and comments
Photos of Ocean NovaAdd Photo
Other Antarctica21 Air-Cruises cruise ships
Ocean Nova User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review