Funchal is situated on sheltered hillsides that overlook a wide bay, and is the capital of Madeira. This bustling city with mosaic pavements, narrow cobbled streets, outside cafes and bars, features various markets selling local produce. Cruise ships berth within view of the centre - it's about a 20-minute walk to the centre and a little more to the cable car. There are taxis available and sometimes a free ferry service across the dock. The seafront area features several floating restaurants.
Visitors can take the modern cable car up to picturesque Monte to see the Church of our Lady and then take wicker-work toboggan ride down previously cobbled streets. A taxi is needed to visit the Botanical Gardens. These tranquil gardens are laid out on terraces with views of Funchal and Ribeira de Joao Gomes Gorge. From Funchal tourists can visit the small fishing village of Camara de Lobos, the 2nd highest sea cliff in the world at Cabo Girao, or Riveira Brava, high up into the clouds to Encumeada, Sao Vicente, Pico do Arieiro, Santo da Serra.
Madeira is often described as the "Island of Eternal Spring." Situated off the coast of Morocco, Funchal is Portugal's other world. Entirely volcanic in origin, the peaks of Madeira stretch out of the sea from "valleys" in the ocean depths. The volcanic soil combines with mild climate to produce an abundance of green and multicolored vegetation. Along Madeira's centre runs a mountain chain providing a spectacular contrast to the fertile coastlands where principal crops like sugarcane, grapes and bananas flourish. Terraces of farmland extend into the hills and add tiers of green beauty to the landscape.
In August 2016, a wildfire through the Madeira island affected some of the cruise itineraries with included visit to Port Funchal. P&O Cruises canceled the Azura ship's August 11 call at the port, replacing it with a day at sea. The wildfire was caused by the August's high temperatures and strong winds. It prompted the evacuation of over 1,000 (residents and tourists), destroyed around 40 homes near Funchal and killed 4 people. Due to the smoke, flights to and from Madeira Airport were also disrupted. The fire started on August 9 (allegedly by arson) at the S Roque parish. It quickly spread throughout the island's southern part and to Funchal.
On New Year's Eve (December 31, 2017), the port had docked a total of 10 cruise vessels celebrating here the new 2018 with a grand fireworks show. The ship list included MS Balmoral (Fred Olsen), the AIDA ships AIDAprima, AIDAsol and AIDAvita, Mein Schiff 2 (TUI), MV Columbus (CMV), Queen Elizabeth (Cunard), MV Horizon (Pullmantur), MS Ventura (P&O UK) and Marella Dream (Marella / Thomson).
On December 18, 2017, Galp Energia completed at Port Funchal the first ever in Portuguese port refuelling of an LNG-powered vessel (AIDAprima) carried out at a Portuguese port.
- The operated by AIDA Cruises passenger liner AIDAprima is the world's first LNG-powered cruise ship. The supplied by Galp LNG to the vessel is amounted to the average daily consumption of 42.000 standard households. The LNG for the ship was delivered via cryogenic cistern truck, maintaining the gas at very low temperatures. The port's LNG supply service is partnership with the Sousa-owned Gaslink company that specializes in transportation and logistics between mainland Portugal and Port Funchal.
- Galp Energia is Portugal’s only integrated oil and gas operator. The company specializes in oil and natural gas production and refining, marketing and sales, as well as power generation. In 2016, Galp Energia reported a turnover of EUR 15 million and Net income RCA EUR 537 million. The company employs around 6500 people, has active presence in 11 countries, operates 25 refineries and 1435S service stations.
- In seaports, Galp provides low emission bunker fueling through LNG supplies, having the capacity to refuel LNG-powered vessels at any seaport in Portugal. Logistics are via partnership with Grupo Sousa.
- In 2017, AIDAprima (inaugurated in 2016) started an year-round scheduled itinerary program with 7-day cruises to Madeira and Canary Islands leaving roundtrip from Gran Canaria and Tenerife.
- In July 2018 was inaugurated a weekly ferry service Madeira-Portugal mainland (between Funchal and Portimao). The service is provided by Naviera Armas (ferry company) and available during summer months only (through late September). Ticket prices are between EUR 29 (Madeira residents) and EUR 85 (non-residents).
Highlights: Pretty capital, Cable Car, Toboggans at Monte, Botanical Gardens
Funchal cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Madeira Island dock along a quay at Funchal port. The harbor is located at about 20-min walking distance from the town's center.
Port Funchal cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Funchal, Madeira Island, Portugal. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|6 September, 2018|
|Mein Schiff 1||07:00||18:00|
|6 September, 2018|
|7 September, 2018|
|Seven Seas Navigator||08:00||18:00|
|8 September, 2018|
|8 September, 2018|
|11 September, 2018|
|Mein Schiff 1||14:00|
|18 September, 2018|
|Independence Of The Seas||07:00||15:00|
|19 September, 2018|
|20 September, 2018|
|24 September, 2018|
|25 September, 2018|
|Mein Schiff 1||14:00|
|28 September, 2018|
The Funchal cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Funchal, Madeira Island, Portugal.
If you lose the Funchal location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
- Cruise Industry
The first ferry link between mainland Portugal and Madeira in 6 years set off on Monday, July 2, from Funchal, en-route to Algarve. The ferry is due...July 3, 2018
Fire-damaged Fred Olsen Cruise Lines ship Black Watch departed Madeira for the United Kingdom and should return to service in time for her next...July 10, 2016
A British traveler who tried to swim to ms Marco Polo has been rescued by fishermen from the Atlantic. The 65-year-old woman was found clinging to...March 28, 2016
- show more news