Ventura current position
Specifications of Ventura
|Year built||2008 / Age: 13|
|Builder||Fincantieri (Monfalcone, Italy)|
|Building cost||USD 690 million|
|Owner||Carnival Corporation & PLC|
|Operator||P&O Cruises UK|
|Speed||24 kn / 44 kph / 28 mph|
|Length (LOA)||289 m / 948 ft|
|Beam (width)||48 m / 157 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||116017 gt|
|Passengers||3106 - 3727|
|Decks with cabins||9|
|Christened by||Helen Mirren|
|Date||Itinerary||Departure Port||Price from|
|2021 Oct 03||11 days, round-trip Canary Islands||Southampton|
|2021 Oct 14||11 days, round-trip Spain And Portugal||Southampton|
|2021 Oct 25||6 days, round-trip Western Europe||Southampton|
|2021 Oct 31||11 days, round-trip Canary Islands||Southampton|
|2021 Nov 11||12 days, round-trip Spain And Portugal||Southampton|
|2021 Nov 23||12 days, round-trip Canary Islands||Southampton|
|2021 Dec 05||12 days, round-trip Spain And Portugal||Southampton|
|2021 Dec 17||12 days, round-trip Canary Islands||Southampton|
|2021 Dec 29||5 days, round-trip Western Europe||Southampton|
|2022 Jan 03||35 days, round-trip Caribbean||Southampton|
|2022 Feb 07||4 days, round-trip Western Europe||Southampton|
|2022 Feb 11||35 days, round-trip USA And Caribbean||Southampton|
|2022 Mar 18||14 days, round-trip Canary Islands||Southampton|
|2022 Apr 01||3 days, round-trip Western Europe||Southampton|
|2022 Apr 04||12 days, round-trip Spain And Portugal||Southampton|
|2022 Apr 16||7 days, round-trip Western Europe||Southampton|
|2022 Apr 23||10 days, round-trip Western Europe||Southampton|
|2022 May 03||4 days, round-trip Western Europe||Southampton|
|2022 May 07||14 days, round-trip Canary Islands||Southampton|
|2022 May 21||10 days, round-trip Western Europe||Southampton|
|2022 May 31||4 days, round-trip Western Europe||Southampton|
|2022 Jun 04||14 days, round-trip Canary Islands||Southampton|
|2022 Jun 18||7 days, round-trip Western Europe||Southampton|
|2022 Jun 25||10 days, round-trip Western Europe||Southampton|
|2022 Jul 05||4 days, round-trip Western Europe||Southampton|
|2022 Jul 09||7 days, round-trip Western Europe||Southampton|
|2022 Jul 16||14 days, round-trip Canary Islands||Southampton|
|2022 Jul 30||7 days, round-trip Western Europe||Southampton|
|2022 Aug 06||4 days, round-trip Western Europe||Southampton|
|2022 Aug 10||10 days, round-trip Western Europe||Southampton|
|2022 Aug 20||14 days, round-trip Canary Islands||Southampton|
|2022 Sep 03||10 days, round-trip Western Europe||Southampton|
|2022 Sep 13||4 days, round-trip Western Europe||Southampton|
|2022 Sep 17||14 days, round-trip Canary Islands||Southampton|
|2022 Oct 01||7 days, round-trip Western Europe||Southampton|
|2022 Oct 08||10 days, round-trip Western Europe||Southampton|
|2022 Oct 18||4 days, round-trip Western Europe||Southampton|
|2022 Oct 22||7 days, round-trip Western Europe||Southampton|
|2022 Oct 29||14 days, round-trip Spain And Portugal||Southampton|
|2022 Nov 12||14 days, round-trip Canary Islands||Southampton|
|2022 Nov 26||5 days, round-trip Western Europe||Southampton|
|2022 Dec 01||35 days, round-trip USA And Caribbean||Southampton|
|2023 Jan 05||5 days, round-trip Western Europe||Southampton|
|2023 Jan 10||28 days, round-trip Caribbean||Southampton|
|2023 Feb 07||4 days, round-trip Western Europe||Southampton|
|2023 Feb 27||3 days, round-trip Western Europe||Southampton|
|2023 Mar 02||35 days, round-trip USA And Caribbean||Southampton|
Review of Ventura
The 2008-built MS Ventura cruise ship is one of the Grand-class PO cruise ships, together with ms Azura.
History - construction and ownership
P&O Cruises is a subsidiary company and two brands owned by Carnival Corporation - P&O UK and P&O Australia. In 2000, P&O Cruises became subsidiary of P&O Princess Cruises, which merged with Carnival Corporation in 2003. PandO is the world's oldest cruise company, starting passenger shipping operations in 1822 on the routes connecting England with Iberia.
The 116,017-ton, 3,574-passenger cruise ship Ventura was christened in Southampton on April 16, 2008, by the famous British actress Dame Helen Mirren (assisted by a team of Royal Marine Commandos). The cruise ship is particularly larger - by 30 % than any other vessel in the P&O Cruises fleet. This means there's more room for contemporary facilities, like expanded children-related amenities, recreational opportunities (bungee jumping) and different restaurants. What is more, it is difficult to find any sign of traditional P&O Cruises in the hardware - no card room, nowhere to have a sit in the library, no art auctions (all the pictures are on sale, but showed with the price) and no monotonous teak-and-cream coloring (there are cheery decor and modern artwork instead). The travelers are also distinct; still quite a lot of the retired cruisers that P&O Cruises is known for attracting, but also lots of families with kids.
Cruise itinerary program
P&O Ventura itinerary program is based on cruises from Southampton and Bridgetown, including Caribbean Islands voyages from Barbados; roundtrip sailings from Southampton to Iberia (Portugal and Spain), Mediterranean and Canary Islands; "mini-cruises" to Belgium, France and Holland; Transatlantic repositioning crossings.
P&O Ventura staterooms (1553 total) include 28x Suite, 853x Balcony, 440x Inside and 18x studios (single-occupancy cabins) in 35 categories. Most staterooms are 165-ft2 (15-m2) sized Balcony cabins with step-out verandas. The largest passenger accommodations are the Aft Penthouse Suites (410 ft2 / 38 m2 plus 180 ft2 / 17 m2 terrace).
The boat has 19 decks of which 15 are passenger-accessible and 9 with cabins.
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
The quality of food aboard Ventura is of a high standard for such a big ship. The menus offered in the three main dining rooms change daily, and there is a Gala Menu on formal nights as well, put together by Marco Pierre White. Cinnamon and Saffron (two of the main dining rooms) offer 'Freedom Dining', meaning that guests can turn up anytime between 6:00 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. and dine where and with whom they like. Bay Tree is the third MDR and offers set-time dining called "Club Dining" by the line. There are 3 specialty restaurants, 2 formal ones - Epicurean, serving molecular gastronomy cuisine and Sindhu by Michelin-starred chef Atul Kochhar. The one informal restaurant, which proved popular on sister vessel Azura and replaced Las Ramblas, is The Glass House by wine expert Olly Smith (for-fee tapas-style restaurant).
Follows the complete list of Ventura restaurants and food bars.
- Cinnamon Restaurant (528-seat, aft Dining Room; features Your Time dining from 6:00 to 9:30 p.m.)
- Saffron Restaurant (528-seat, forward Dining Room; with fixed seating dining at 6:30 and 8:30 p.m.)
- Bay Tree Restaurant (596-seat aft Dining Room; with fixed seating dining at 6:30 and 8:30 p.m.; also hosts bridge tournaments, card games, etc)
- East (138-seat Asian specialty restaurant by celebrity chef Atul Kochhar)
- The Glass House (steakhouse/seafood specialty restaurant and wine bar)
- The Beach House (324-seat buffet restaurant; serves as NYC deli for dinner 6:30 - 9:30 p.m.)
- Waterside (332-seat buffet restaurant; offers full English breakfast, lunch, Afternoon Tea, Noddy’s Tea/kids, dinner, night snacks; serves premium wines by the glass)
- Frankie’s Grill (fast food bar, complimentary pizza/ice cream bar, hotdogs, burgers)
- The White Room (182-seat Italian specialty restaurant).
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
P&O company doesn't go in for huge West End-style productions. Instead, expect revue-type shows with an emphasis on the singing talents of the performer; ventriloquists, magicians, and tribute acts; British comedy. In the Arena Theatre, there are two main shows nightly. Times vary in order to accommodate the set dining times. Elsewhere on the ship, the main venues for live entertainment are Havana, at the back of the ship, and The Tamarind Club - a walk-through venue on Deck 7. In both these venues, guests will find bands or singers on at various times throughout the whole evening. There is usually a guest band too, depending on where the vessel is based. Havana is also the nightclub onboard ms Ventura. Additional amenities include: Complimentary 24-hour Room-Service, Internet/WiFi access, supervised kids programme, laundry/self-serve laundromats.
Follows the complete list of Ventura lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens, and adults.
- Ventura Atrium (3-decks central open floor area and social hub);
- Atrium Shops - Regalia (clothes, souvenirs, gifts), The Wardrobe (brand fashion, watches, bags, hats), Chic (fashion boutique), Emporium (candy store), Eternity (jewelry), Essence (perfumes). Following the ship's drydock refurbishment in 2018, the onboard shopping was upgraded by adding new retail brands selling premium watches, handbags, cosmetics and perfumes, travel essentials. New is the Dufry store (travel retailer). Among the added new brands are BRICS (luggage, bags, Selfridges), Longines (Swiss hand-made watches), Olivia Burton (watches, V), Liu Jo (women's clothes, bags, shoes), Radley (designer leather handbags, purses, accessories), Cath Kidston (fashion, bags, gifts), Kipling (designer bags, backpacks, luggage, wallets, travel accessories). A new collection of British gins is also available.
- Tazzine Bar (by Costa Coffee; at night transforms into a cocktail bar)
- Chapter One (book shop and library); Cyb@study (24-hour Internet computers room, Internet packages)
- The Exchange Pub (sports bar); Brodie’s Pub; Breakers Bar; The Tamarind Lounge and Club (live music, comedy shows, cooking demonstrations, films, themed party nights)
- Metropolis Lounge; Peninsular Room (multi-purpose lounge); The Red Bar
- Arena Theatre (785-seat, 2-decks, featuring grand scale productions, live performances, game shows)
- Havana Lounge and Nightclub (live entertainment venue and disco)
- “Fortunes” Casino; Ivory Suite (vow renewal and wedding services)
- Photo Gallery and Shop; Whitehall Art Gallery; The Library (with Internet computers)
- Terrace Pool (adults only area, served by Terrace Bar); Beachcomber Pool and Bar; Laguna Pool and Bar; Aqua Park with waterside; 6 jacuzzis
- The Retreat (adults only area); Oasis Spa and Health Club (Treatment Rooms, Thermal Suite, Beauty Salon); Oasis /endless pool & bar
- Gymnasium (complimentary equipment, Fitness classes; Yoga and Pilates at surcharge)
- Kids Venues (Toybox, Jumping Jacks, Tumblers Nursery, The Den); Decibels (teen disco)
- Shuffleboard; Quoits; Sports Court (basketball, volleyball, tennis); Table Tennis; Golf Nets.
Ventura - user reviews and comments
Photos of VenturaAdd Photo
Ventura ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
International cruises are now able to restart from England on August 2, following a 16-month break. On Wednesday, July 28, the UK's Foreign...July 29, 2021
- Cruise Industry
P&O Cruises UK announced its expected deployment and phased restart plan for the remainder of the year and into early 2022. MS Britannia will...June 23, 2021
- Cruise Industry
P&O UK announced it is cancelling all international itineraries on 4 cruise ships (Aurora, Arcadia, Azura, Ventura) through the end of August...March 3, 2021
- Cruise Industry
Cruise ships returned to Weymouth Bay (off Isle of Portland, Dorset England) following the turbulent weather caused by Storm Christoph. England's...January 24, 2021
- Cruise Industry
A range of early booking offers was introduced alongside the P&O Cruises summer 2022 programme. 150+ vacations both from the home port of...November 4, 2020
- Cruise Industry
An incredible video has captured 10 cruise liners anchored in Weymouth Bay (off Isle of Portland, Dorset England) and at Portland Harbour on Saturday...July 23, 2020
- Cruise Industry
The first repatriation flight for the Indian crew of Cunard and P&O UK from Southampton was successfully completed on Thursday, June 4. ...June 5, 2020
- Cruise Industry
A 6th cruise ship joined the growing fleet in Weymouth Bay (off Isle of Portland, Dorset England) on May 14. Cunard's liner Queen Victoria...May 16, 2020
- Cruise Industry
The flagship of Cunard Line, Queen Mary 2, arrived to join a couple of P&O vessels, Aurora and Ventura, off England's south coast on Sunday, May...May 3, 2020
- Cruise Industry
Another P&O Cruises UK ship anchored in Weymouth Bay (near Isle of Portland Port, Dorset England) on Wednesday, April 22. The passenger-free MS...April 23, 2020
- show more news
Other P&O UK cruise ships
MS Ventura is one of P and O's biggest vessels and also one of the biggest UK-based passenger ships, with sistership Azura (both of the Grand-Class). The ship was christened by Helen Mirren (1945-born British actress) who also sailed on the Inaugural Cruise/maiden voyage on April 11, 2008.
Besides being a huge vessel as size and passenger capacity, Ventura is also one of the most family-friendly UK ships. Family fun activities at dedicated facilities on board are: "The Reef" (with kids club programming), Noddy (character greetings), open-air kids playing areas, "Beachcomber" and "Laguna" (family pools), "The Beach House" (casual family restaurant for dinner) and Havana Lounge (evening family shows).
During the whole summer of 2014, for the first time, P&O operated Ventura with exclusively fly-cruises to the Mediterranean from the UK. During winter, the liner offers Caribbean cruises from homeport Bridgetown Barbados, also operated with fly-cruise deals from UK (Southampton England). P&O UK's "flight and cruise" deals to the Caribbean are additionally inclusive of discounted airfare to and from Barbados.
The ship's current Captain (Master) is Paul Brown.
MS Ventura refurbishments review
The ship's drydock in 2018 (March 13-27, done by Damen Shiprepairs in Brest France) resulted in the following changes:
The onboard retail shopping was upgraded by refurbishing all retail shops and adding new brands. The 2-tier Arena Theatre received a large, wall-mounted LED screen (similar to that on Azura), as well as a new sound and light equipment. Two bar lounges (Tamarind Club and Havana) were renovated and redesigned.
All passenger cabins and most public areas (the Atrium, Spa and Salon complex, all restaurants, lounges, and bars) were renovated with new carpeting. The main walkway area received new tiling, new carpet, new furniture.
New retail brands were added to the onboard shopping options selling premium watches, handbags, cosmetics and perfumes, travel essentials. New is the Dufry store (travel retailer). All the shops were completely renovated. Among the newly added brands are BRICS (luggage, bags, Selfridges), Longines (Swiss hand-made watches), Olivia Burton (watches, V), Liu Jo (women's clothes, bags, shoes), Radley (designer leather handbags, purses, accessories), Cath Kidston (fashion, bags, gifts), Kipling (designer bags, backpacks, luggage, wallets, travel accessories). A new collection of British gins was also added. To the shops on Deck 7 was added a large glass display window.
During the drydock refit were also refurbished the Waterside (24-hour buffet restaurant) and The Beach House (Select Dining restaurant).
Dixons Travel shop (deck 7) sells the latest technology gadgets and electronic equipment. During the refurbishment, the store's size was increased and new products were added, including by the brands Amazon, Apple, Bose, Canon, Fitbit, GoPro). The Photo Now (digital screen) was moved to the aft.
During drydock 2018, on the boat were installed 2 scrubbers (reducing fuel emissions and energy consumption). The hull was water blasted and painted with a new type of silicone paint (improving fuel efficiency). Also repainted was the liner's superstructure. Maintenance works included the vessel's propulsion, stabilizers, some repairs.
The list of deck plan changes after the ship's 2013 drydock (at Blohm+Voss shipyard in Hamburg Germany) includes:
- (Deck 5) - new Atrium entertainment programme – now with a dance floor (also for lessons) and live band music at night. Internet Cafe was transformed into the Library, while the old library was refitted into a perfume shop.
- (Deck 6) - 18 new single cruise cabins, of which 12 oceanview and 6 Interior), at no single supplement rates.
- (Deck 7) - The Glass House (wine bar) replacing the Ramblas (Latin specialty restaurant)
- (Deck 7) - East (Asian specialty restaurant by Atul Kochhar, with new Southeast Asia menu.
- (Deck 17) - The Retreat (outdoor adults-only spa terrace).
- Better (shipwide) Wi-Fi coverage.