Aurora Review and Specifications
Specifications of Aurora
|Year built||2000 / Age : 18|
|Builder||Meyer Werft (Papenburg, Germany)|
|Building cost||USD 375 million|
|Owner||Carnival Corporation & PLC|
|Operator||P&O Cruises UK|
|Speed||24 kn / 44 kph / 28 mph|
|Length (LOA)||270 m / 886 ft|
|Beam (width)||32 m / 105 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||76152 gt|
|Passengers||1882 - 2258|
|Decks with cabins||7|
|Christened by||HRH Princess Anne, Princess Royal|
Current itinerary of Aurora
Aurora current cruise is 24 days, round-trip USA and Canada. The itinerary starts on 16 Sep, 2018 and ends on 10 Oct, 2018.
|Date / Time||Port|
|16 Sep||Departing from Southampton, England|
|23 Sep - 24 Sep||New York, Cape Liberty NYC|
|25 Sep||Newport, Rhode Island|
|26 Sep||Boston, Massachusetts|
|27 Sep||Portland Maine, USA|
|28 Sep||Bar Harbor, Maine|
|29 Sep||Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada|
|01 Oct - 02 Oct||Quebec City, Canada|
|04 Oct||Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada|
|10 Oct||Arriving in Southampton, England|
Review of Aurora
Launched in 2001, Aurora cruise ship is one of the larger P and O UK liners, similar in size to Oriana and Oceana. The refit in 2014 made it the first PO cruise vessel with the company's new hull livery - the Union Jack flag.
NEWS: In February 2018, P&O UK announced that Aurora becomes adults-only ship, after the scheduled drydock refurbishment in March 2019. The ship joins the adult-only fleetmates Arcadia and Oriana in April 8, 2019. These 3 liners are exclusively for adults.
History - construction and ownership
P&O Cruises is a subsidiary company and two brands owned by Carnival Corporation - P&O UK and P&O Australia. In 2000, P&O Cruises became subsidiary of P&O Princess Cruises, which in 2003 merged with Carnival Corporation. PandO is the world's oldest cruise company, starting passenger shipping operations in 1822 on the routes connecting England with Iberia.
The 76,152-ton, 1,874-passenger cruise ship Aurora operates some of the best luxury ship cruises from England, with cheap affordable cruises from UK ports. This one is among the most family friendly cruise ships in UK, featuring the PO Aurora World cruise deals from Southampton by the UK best cruise line. One of the best England cruise ships, P&O Aurora serves predominantly the British market, with a great variety of itineraries (mainly in Europe). With her classic design and tiered stern, she is more similar to the traditional ocean liners, and just like “the good old ones”, she offers sheer luxury, premium cruising experiences, stylish entertainment, and 5-star hotel amenities. The PO Aurora cruise ship reviews often recommend this vessel and its itineraries as presenting the best and cheap options for birthday celebrations and wedding anniversaries at sea, small family reunions, and for spending quality family time together.
Cruise itinerary program
Aurora itinerary program is based on cruises from Southampton (UK), including a "World Cruise", roudtrips to the Caribbean (Transatlantic crossings), Baltic and Mediterranean, as well as "mini cruises" from UK to Belgium.
Most Aurora staterooms are 275-sq.foot Balcony rooms (280) and 150-sq.foot Insides (284). There are a total of 941 staterooms in 32 categories. 22 are the wheelchair accessible rooms. The largest aboard Aurora are the Penthouse Suites (865 ft2).
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
The decor of the vessel is not from the most exciting that passengers have ever seen, and appeals to the older Brits. There is a 2-sitting fixed dining system in the dining venues and dress codes are enforced in the restaurants and in the basic bars in the evenings. Aurora's main restaurants include Medina and Alexandria (open-seating, breakfast and lunch), Club dining at dinner (fixed seating). Alternative (specialty) options are offered at Cafe Bordeaux (by Marco Pierre White) with Med cuisine. Dinner reservations are required, and a surcharge is applied. The casual Pennant Grill provides breakfast, lunch and afternoon tea. Another option is the self-service buffet restaurant “The Orangery”. Room service is charged.
Follows the complete list of Aurora restaurants and food bars.
- Medina Restaurant (forward Dining Room; open seating breakfast 8:00 - 9:30 a.m., Lunch 12:15 - 1:45 p.m., Afternoon Tea 4:00 - 4:45 p.m., and club dining with two fixed Dinner seatings at 6:30 or 8:30 p.m.; complimentary)
- Alexandria Restaurant (aft Dining Room, dinner only, with 2 fixed dinner seatings at 6:30 or 8:30 p.m.; complimentary)
- Cafe Bordeaux (120-seat French specialty restaurant by Marco Pierre White; at surcharge; open for Breakfast 6:30 -11:00 a.m., Lunch 11:00 - 5:30 p.m., Afternoon Tea 5:30 - 6:30 p.m., Dinner 6:00 - 10:30 p.m., and late night snacks 10:30 p.m. - 6:30 a.m.)
- The Orangery (lido buffet, self service, complimentary; open for Breakfast 7:00 - 10:30 a.m., Brunch 10:30 - 12:00 a.m.; Lunch 12:00 - 2:30 p.m., Children’s Afternoon Tea and snacks 5:45 - 6:30 p.m., and Dinner 6:30 - 9 p.m.; features themed buffets)
- Sidewalk Cafe (Lido Cafe, fast food bar; offers pizzas, burgers, fish and chips, complimentary; open 11:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.)
- Pennant Grill and Bar (specialty restaurant, alfresco; surcharge PP applied; open for dinner only 7:00 - 9:30 p.m.).
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
Aurora cruise liner attracts passengers during the school holidays, but basically she is loved by more elderly people who prefer a traditional cruising experience. Ship's Sun Deck features a golf simulator, Cyb@Study (Internet), the line’s signature Crow’s Nest (bar&lounge by day, nightclub by night), the Uganda room for private parties, and Crystal Pool with 5 hot tubs. The Lido Deck boasts the Oasis spa-salon-sauna, The Orangery, and Sidewalk Cafe, as well as the Pennant bar. The Riviera Pool and Weights and Measures gym are located on Deck 11. Onboard P&O Aurora, there are a total of 8 bars, 3 pools (1 with retractable glass dome), up to 3 lectures a day, dance lessons, French and Spanish classes.
Follows the complete list of Aurora lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Aurora Atrium (4-decks central open floor area and social hub)
- Palm Court Lobby
- Curzon Theatre (600-seat, features grand style productions, with hi-tech lighting and sound equipment)
- Carmen’s Lounge (show lounge and dance club; hosts dancing classes, bingo games, cabaret shows nightly)
- Champions Bar (sports bar); Anderson’s Bar; Charlie’s Bar
- Monte Carlo Casino; Art Gallery and Shop
- Masquerade Disco and Nightclub
- Raffles Bar (hand-made chocolates and cakes; specialty coffee; a la carte pricing)
- Mayfair Shop (luxury jewelry); Piccadilly Court and Shop (clothes, accessories, sunglasses, logo items); Emporium (duty-free general store: logo merchandise, chocolates, souvenirs, alcohol, tobaccos, special occasion gifts)
- Photo Gallery and Shop; The Library (with Internet computers); Vanderbilt’s Card Room
- Cyb@Study (24-hour Internet computers room)
- Uganda Room (wedding venue, vow renewals; also used for private parties)
- The Playhouse (213-seat cinema)
- Decibels Disco (teens club lounge)
- Terrace Pool and Bar area; Crystal Pool (served by Crystal Bar); Riviera Pool and Bar area (adults-only)
- Toybox Room and Night Nursery; Quarter Deck (kids club room); Jumping Jacks (kids club); Intergalactica (video games arcade)
- Oasis Spa and Health Club (Treatment Rooms, Steam Rooms, Beauty Salon)
- Weights and Measures Gym (complimentary equipment, Fitness classes; Yoga and Pilates at surcharge)
- The Crow’s Nest Lounge (dance floor, stage for live music; with floor-ceiling windows for panoramic views; hosts art classes, quiz games, cooking demos during the day)
- Power Walking/Jogging Track; Sports Court (tennis, basketball, football, cricket); Shuffleboard, Deck Quoits, Table Tennis; Golf Simulator; Golf Nets.
- Cabin grades number: 20
- Total number of cabins: 941 (of which 32 Suite, 376 Balcony, 284 Inside rooms)
- Dining Rooms: Medina Restaurant, Alexandria Restaurant
- Restaurants and food bars: Orangery (buffet), Cafe Bordeaux (French, by M. Pierre-White), "Sindhu" (Indian, by A. Kochhar), Pennant Grill (al-fresco)
- Lounges & Bars: Curzon (theater), Carmen’s, Crow’s Nest (observation), Raffles Court (patisserie), nightclubs (Decibels, Masquerade), casino ("Monte Carlo"), Champions Bar (sports), Charlie’s Bar (wine/piano), Uganda Room (chapel & meeting room).
- Amenities: Complimentary 24-hour Room-Service, Internet/WiFi access, supervised kids programme, laundry/self-serve laundromats.
- Entertainment - Retreat (adults-only area), Oasis Spa & Fitness, 3 swimming pools with poolside bars (Terrace, Riviera, Crystal), 2 jacuzzis, cinema, Library, duty-free shops, combined sports court, Golf Simulator, four Golf Net cages, deck games, kids venues (Toybox Room /nursery, Quarter Deck, Jumping Jacks, Intergalactica /arcade).
- ms Aurora cruise ship was built in Germany at the cost of 380 million dollars. The vessel was specifically designed to appeal to the UK cruising market. Since British travelers are more attracted by traditionally looking ships, the vessel's hull and superstructure as design resembles the ocean liners of the past. The basics for the ship's design were taken from the mv Oriana project, but were largely extended and many onboard features (like cabins and facilities) were improved.
- A most unfortunate event in mv Aurora's history happened at the very beggining of its service. The vessel's royal godmother Princess Anne failed to shatter the champagne bottle in the hull during the christening ceremony in Southampton. And many blamed this for the cancelled Maiden Voyage (May 1, 2000) when due to a serious technical problem the Inaugural cruise to the Mediterranean was cancelled after only 16 hrs at sea. The ship was taken out of service for drydock repairs, and the passengers refund/compensation package cost P&O UK about GBP 6 million. Aurora returned to service 2 weeks later.
- mv Aurora was christened on April 27, 2000, by godmother HRH The Princess Royal. The list of other P and O cruise ships named by British Royals includes Oriana (April 6, 1995, by HM The Queen), Britannia (March 10, 2015, by HM The Queen) and the ships Oceana and Adonia (Azamara Pursuit since 2018). Both vessels were named on May 21, 2003, by HRH The Princess Royal and her daughter Zara Phillips.
- The list of P&O World Cruise ships, besides Aurora also includes mv Arcadia.
Aurora - user reviews and comments
Aurora ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
P&O Cruises announced that its Aurora ship will return from refit in March 2019 as adult-only. From April 8, next year, Aurora joins Arcadia and...February 22, 2018
The luxury P&O Cruises ship Aurora, which is based in Southampton, drifted for nearly an hour after a fire took hold of the engine room Wednesday...September 22, 2017
- show more news
Other P&O Cruises cruise ships
The below listed Aurora cruise prices on itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest P&O Cruises fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|Date||Cruise Name||Departure Port||Price from|
|2018 May 19||16 days, round-trip Scandinavia and Russia||Southampton|
|2018 Jun 16||14 days, round-trip Norway, Iceland and Ireland||Southampton|
|2018 Jul 04||17 days, round-trip Spain, Italy and France||Southampton|
|2018 Aug 02||17 days, round-trip Spain, Italy and Croatia||Southampton|
|2018 Aug 19||12 days, round-trip Spain, Canary Islands and Portugal||Southampton|
|2018 Aug 31||14 days, round-trip Scandinavia and Russia||Southampton||$1249|
|2018 Sep 14||2 days, round-trip Belgium||Southampton||$259|
|2018 Sep 16||24 days, round-trip USA and Canada||Southampton|
|2018 Oct 10||5 days, round-trip Belgium and The Netherlands||Southampton||$499|
|2018 Oct 15||13 days, round-trip Canary Islands and Portugal||Southampton||$1149|
|2018 Oct 28||17 days, round-trip Spain, Malta and Greece||Southampton||$1349|
|2018 Nov 14||14 days, round-trip Spain, France and Italy||Southampton||$849|
|2018 Nov 28||12 days, round-trip Norway and Northern Lights||Southampton||$859|
|2018 Dec 10||9 days, round-trip Baltic||Southampton||$679|
|2018 Dec 19||10 days, round-trip Baltic||Southampton||$969|
|2018 Dec 29||5 days, round-trip Belgium and The Netherlands||Southampton||$819|
|2019 Jan 03||55 days, round-trip Aurora's Amazon, Caribbean & Central America Adventure||Southampton||$3299|
|2019 Feb 27||12 days, round-trip Norway and Northern Lights||Southampton||$999|
|2019 Mar 11||12 days, round-trip Norway and Northern Lights||Southampton||$1179|
|2019 Apr 08||16 days, round-trip Portugal, Canary Islands and Azores||Southampton||$1099|
|2019 Apr 24||19 days, round-trip Spain, Portugal and Italy||Southampton||$1999|
|2019 May 13||14 days, round-trip Scandinavia and Russia||Southampton||$1139|
|2019 May 27||18 days, round-trip Spain, Italy and Portugal||Southampton||$1519|
|2019 Jun 14||7 days, round-trip Spain and Guernsey||Southampton||$549|
|2019 Jun 21||16 days, round-trip Scandinavia, Poland and Russia||Southampton||$1399|
|2019 Jul 07||2 days, round-trip Guernsey||Southampton||$249|
|2019 Jul 09||12 days, round-trip Norwegian Fjords||Southampton||$1199|
|2019 Jul 21||12 days, round-trip Canary Islands, Madeira and Spain||Southampton||$1229|
|2019 Aug 02||14 days, round-trip Spain, France and Italy||Southampton||$1349|
|2019 Aug 16||4 days, round-trip Guernsey and Belgium||Southampton||$479|
|2019 Aug 20||12 days, round-trip Canary Islands, Madeira and Spain||Southampton||$1229|
|2019 Sep 01||30 days, round-trip USA and Canada||Southampton||$2999|
|2019 Oct 01||17 days, round-trip Spain, Malta and Italy||Southampton||$1799|
|2019 Oct 18||2 days, round-trip Belgium||Southampton||$229|
|2019 Oct 20||14 days, round-trip Canary Islands, Spain and Portugal||Southampton||$1459|
|2019 Nov 03||12 days, round-trip Norway and Northern Lights||Southampton||$1259|
|2019 Nov 15||7 days, round-trip Western Europe||Southampton||$499|
|2019 Nov 22||4 days, round-trip Western Europe||Southampton||$309|
|2019 Nov 26||13 days, round-trip Canary Islands||Southampton||$849|
|2019 Dec 09||10 days, round-trip Baltic||Southampton||$599|
|2019 Dec 19||2 days, round-trip Western Europe||Southampton||$209|
|2019 Dec 21||14 days, round-trip Canary Islands||Southampton||$1799|
|2020 Jan 04||55 days, round-trip Aurora's Caribbean & America Discovery||Southampton||$4159|
|2020 Feb 28||12 days, round-trip Norway and Northern Lights||Southampton||$1249|
|2020 Mar 11||12 days, round-trip Norway and Northern Lights||Southampton||$1129|
|2020 Mar 23||12 days, round-trip Canary Islands||Southampton||$809|