Aurora current position
Specifications of Aurora
|Year built||2000 / Age: 20|
|Builder||Meyer Werft (Papenburg, Germany)|
|Building cost||USD 375 million|
|Owner||Carnival Corporation & PLC|
|Operator||P&O Cruises UK|
|Speed||24 kn / 44 kph / 28 mph|
|Length (LOA)||270 m / 886 ft|
|Beam (width)||32 m / 105 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||76152 gt|
|Passengers||1882 - 2258|
|Decks with cabins||7|
|Christened by||HRH Princess Anne, Princess Royal|
|Date||Itinerary||Departure Port||Price from|
|2020 Oct 30||12 days, round-trip Norway||Southampton|
|2020 Nov 11||28 days, round-trip Caribbean||Southampton|
|2020 Dec 09||10 days, round-trip Spain And Portugal||Southampton|
|2020 Dec 19||2 days, round-trip Western Europe||Southampton|
|2020 Dec 21||16 days, round-trip Canary Islands||Southampton|
|2021 Jan 06||65 days, round-trip South America||Southampton|
|2021 Mar 12||12 days, round-trip Norway||Southampton|
|2021 Mar 24||12 days, round-trip Norway||Southampton|
|2021 Apr 05||19 days, round-trip Mediterranean||Southampton|
|2021 Apr 24||7 days, round-trip Western Europe||Southampton|
|2021 May 01||19 days, round-trip Mediterranean||Southampton|
|2021 May 20||16 days, round-trip Baltic||Southampton|
|2021 Jun 05||12 days, round-trip Norwegian Fjords||Southampton|
|2021 Jun 17||19 days, round-trip Mediterranean||Southampton|
|2021 Jul 06||14 days, round-trip Iceland||Southampton|
|2021 Jul 20||16 days, round-trip Baltic||Southampton|
|2021 Aug 05||12 days, round-trip Norwegian Fjords||Southampton|
|2021 Aug 17||16 days, round-trip Baltic||Southampton|
|2021 Sep 02||30 days, round-trip USA And Canada||Southampton|
|2021 Oct 02||12 days, round-trip Norway||Southampton|
|2021 Oct 14||19 days, round-trip Mediterranean||Southampton|
|2021 Nov 02||17 days, round-trip Mediterranean||Southampton|
|2021 Nov 19||12 days, round-trip Norway||Southampton|
|2021 Dec 17||3 days, round-trip Western Europe||Southampton|
|2021 Dec 20||9 days, round-trip Baltic||Southampton|
|2021 Dec 29||5 days, round-trip Western Europe||Southampton|
|2022 Jan 03||24 days, one-way from Southampton to San Francisco||Southampton|
|2022 Jan 03||43 days, one-way from Southampton to Auckland||Southampton|
|2022 Jan 03||49 days, one-way from Southampton to Sydney||Southampton|
|2022 Jan 03||51 days, one-way from Southampton to Brisbane||Southampton|
|2022 Jan 03||100 days, round-trip World Cruise||Southampton|
|2022 Jan 27||25 days, one-way from San Francisco to Sydney||San Francisco|
|2022 Feb 15||57 days, one-way from Auckland to Southampton||Auckland|
|2022 Feb 21||19 days, one-way from Sydney to Hong Kong||Sydney|
|2022 Feb 21||23 days, one-way from Sydney to Singapore||Sydney|
|2022 Feb 21||51 days, one-way from Sydney to Southampton||Sydney|
|2022 Feb 23||49 days, one-way from Brisbane to Southampton||Brisbane|
|2022 Feb 23||17 days, one-way from Brisbane to Hong Kong||Brisbane|
|2022 Mar 12||32 days, one-way from Hong Kong to Southampton||Hong Kong|
|2022 Mar 12||14 days, one-way from Hong Kong to Dubai||Hong Kong|
|2022 Mar 16||28 days, one-way from Singapore to Southampton||Singapore|
|2022 Mar 26||18 days, one-way from Dubai to Southampton||Dubai|
Review of Aurora
Launched in 2001, Aurora cruise ship is one of the larger P and O UK liners, similar in size to Oriana and Oceana. The refit in 2014 made it the first PO cruise vessel with the company's new hull livery - the Union Jack flag.
NEWS: In February 2018, P&O UK announced that Aurora becomes an adults-only ship, after the scheduled drydock refurbishment in March 2019. The ship joins the adult-only fleet mates Arcadia and Oriana on April 8, 2019. These 3 liners are exclusively for adults.
History - construction and ownership
P&O Cruises is a subsidiary company and two brands owned by Carnival Corporation - P&O UK and P&O Australia. In 2000, P&O Cruises became subsidiary of P&O Princess Cruises, which merged with Carnival Corporation in 2003. PandO is the world's oldest cruise company, starting passenger shipping operations in 1822 on the routes connecting England with Iberia.
The 76,152-ton, 1,874-passenger cruise ship Aurora operates some of the best luxury ship cruises from England, with cheap affordable cruises from UK ports. This one is among the most family-friendly cruise ships in the UK, featuring the PO Aurora World cruise deals from Southampton by the UK best cruise line. One of the best England cruise ships, P&O Aurora serves predominantly the British market, with a great variety of itineraries (mainly in Europe). With her classic design and tiered stern, she is more similar to the traditional ocean liners, and just like “the good old ones”, she offers sheer luxury, premium cruising experiences, stylish entertainment, and 5-star hotel amenities. The PO Aurora cruise ship reviews often recommend this vessel and its itineraries as presenting the best and cheap options for birthday celebrations and wedding anniversaries at sea, small family reunions, and for spending quality family time together.
Cruise itinerary program
Aurora itinerary program is based on cruises from Southampton (UK), including a "World Cruise", roundtrips to the Caribbean (Transatlantic crossings), Baltic and Mediterranean, as well as "mini-cruises" from the UK to Belgium.
Aurora has a total of 941 cabins (of which 32 Suite, 376 Balcony, 284 Inside rooms) in 20 grades. Most Aurora staterooms are 275-sq. foot Balcony rooms and 150-sq.foot Insides (284). 22 are the wheelchair accessible rooms. The largest aboard Aurora are the Penthouse Suites (865 ft2).
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
The decor of the vessel is not from the most exciting that passengers have ever seen and appeals to the older Brits. There is a 2-sitting fixed dining system in the dining venues and dress codes are enforced in the restaurants and in the basic bars in the evenings. Aurora's main restaurants include Medina and Alexandria (open-seating, breakfast, and lunch), Club dining at dinner (fixed seating). Alternative (specialty) options are offered at Cafe Bordeaux (by Marco Pierre White) with Med cuisine. Dinner reservations are required, and a surcharge is applied. The casual Pennant Grill provides breakfast, lunch and afternoon tea. Another option is the self-service buffet restaurant “The Orangery”. Room service is charged.
Follows the complete list of Aurora restaurants and food bars.
- Medina Restaurant (forward Dining Room; open seating breakfast 8:00 - 9:30 a.m., Lunch 12:15 - 1:45 p.m., Afternoon Tea 4:00 - 4:45 p.m., and club dining with two fixed Dinner seatings at 6:30 or 8:30 p.m.; complimentary)
- Alexandria Restaurant (aft Dining Room, dinner only, with 2 fixed dinner seatings at 6:30 or 8:30 p.m.; complimentary)
- Cafe Bordeaux (120-seat French specialty restaurant by Marco Pierre White; at surcharge; open for Breakfast 6:30 -11:00 a.m., Lunch 11:00 - 5:30 p.m., Afternoon Tea 5:30 - 6:30 p.m., Dinner 6:00 - 10:30 p.m., and late night snacks 10:30 p.m. - 6:30 a.m.)
- The Orangery (Lido buffet, self service, complimentary; open for Breakfast 7:00 - 10:30 a.m., Brunch 10:30 - 12:00 a.m.; Lunch 12:00 - 2:30 p.m., Children’s Afternoon Tea and snacks 5:45 - 6:30 p.m., and Dinner 6:30 - 9 p.m.; features themed buffets)
- Sidewalk Cafe (Lido Cafe, fast food bar; offers pizzas, burgers, fish and chips, complimentary; open 11:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.)
- "Sindhu" (Indian, by A. Kochhar)
- Pennant Grill and Bar (specialty restaurant, alfresco; surcharge PP applied; open for dinner only 7:00 - 9:30 p.m.).
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
Aurora cruise liner attracts passengers during the school holidays, but basically, she is loved by more elderly people who prefer a traditional cruising experience. Ship's Sun Deck features a golf simulator, Cyb@Study (Internet), the line’s signature Crow’s Nest (bar&lounge by day, nightclub by night), the Uganda room for private parties, and Crystal Pool with 5 hot tubs. The Lido Deck boasts the Oasis spa-salon-sauna, The Orangery, and Sidewalk Cafe, as well as the Pennant bar. The Riviera Pool and Weights and Measures gym are located on Deck 11. Onboard P&O Aurora, there are a total of 8 bars, 3 pools (1 with retractable glass dome), 2 jacuzzis, up to 3 lectures a day, dance lessons, French and Spanish classes. Additional amenities include: Complimentary 24-hour Room-Service, Internet/WiFi access, supervised kids programme, laundry/self-serve laundromats.
Follows the complete list of Aurora lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens, and adults.
- Aurora Atrium (4-decks central open floor area and social hub)
- Palm Court Lobby
- Curzon Theatre (600-seat, features grand style productions, with hi-tech lighting and sound equipment)
- Carmen’s Lounge (show lounge and dance club; hosts dancing classes, bingo games, cabaret shows nightly)
- Champions Bar (sports bar); Anderson’s Bar; Charlie’s Bar (wine/piano)
- Monte Carlo Casino; Art Gallery and Shop
- Masquerade Disco and Nightclub
- Raffles Bar (hand-made chocolates and cakes; specialty coffee; a la carte pricing)
- Mayfair Shop (luxury jewelry); Piccadilly Court and Shop (clothes, accessories, sunglasses, logo items); Emporium (duty-free general store: logo merchandise, chocolates, souvenirs, alcohol, tobaccos, special occasion gifts)
- Photo Gallery and Shop; The Library (with Internet computers); Vanderbilt’s Card Room
- Cyb@Study (24-hour Internet computers room)
- Uganda Room (wedding venue, vow renewals; also used for private parties)
- The Playhouse (213-seat cinema)
- Decibels Disco (teens club lounge)
- Terrace Pool and Bar area; Crystal Pool (served by Crystal Bar); Riviera Pool and Bar area (adults-only)
- Toybox Room and Night Nursery; Quarter Deck (kids club room); Jumping Jacks (kids club); Intergalactic (video games arcade)
- Oasis Spa and Health Club (Treatment Rooms, Steam Rooms, Beauty Salon)
- The Retreat (relaxation room with large wooden floor for Yoga, Tai Chi, ballroom dance classes)
- Weights and Measures Gym (complimentary equipment, Fitness classes; Yoga and Pilates at surcharge)
- The Crow’s Nest Lounge (dance floor, a stage for live music; with floor-ceiling windows for panoramic views; hosts art classes, quiz games, cooking demos during the day)
- Power Walking/Jogging Track; Sports Court (tennis, basketball, football, cricket); Shuffleboard, Deck Quoits, Table Tennis; Golf Simulator; four Golf Net cages.
Aurora - user reviews and comments
Aurora ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
An incredible video has captured 10 cruise liners anchored in Weymouth Bay (off Isle of Portland, Dorset England) and at Portland Harbour on Saturday...July 23, 2020
- Cruise Industry
A 6th cruise ship joined the growing fleet in Weymouth Bay (off Isle of Portland, Dorset England) on May 14. Cunard's liner Queen Victoria...May 16, 2020
- Cruise Industry
The flagship of Cunard Line, Queen Mary 2, arrived to join a couple of P&O vessels, Aurora and Ventura, off England's south coast on Sunday, May...May 3, 2020
- Cruise Industry
P&O Cruises unveiled its biggest launch of itineraries to date via the line's summer 2021 and winter 2021-2022 voyages. The cruise line has over...October 17, 2019
- Cruise Industry
P&O Cruises' ship Aurora came back into the fleet of the company after a multi-million refurbishment. The vessel underwent a major...April 16, 2019
- Cruise Industry
P&O Cruises announced that its Aurora ship will return from refit in March 2019 as adult-only. From April 8, next year, Aurora joins Arcadia and...February 22, 2018
The luxury P&O Cruises ship Aurora, which is based in Southampton, drifted for nearly an hour after a fire took hold of the engine room Wednesday...September 22, 2017
- show more news
Other P&O UK cruise ships
MS Aurora was specifically designed to appeal to the UK cruising market. Since British travelers are more attracted by traditionally looking ships, vessel's hull and superstructure as design resemble traditional ocean liners. Design's basics were taken from mv Oriana, but largely extended and improved (cabins and facilities).
A most unfortunate event in mv Aurora's history happened at the very beginning of its service. Vessel's royal godmother (Princess Anne) failed to shatter the champagne bottle in the hull during the christening ceremony in Southampton. And many blamed this for the canceled Maiden Voyage (May 1, 2000) when due to a serious technical problem the Inaugural cruise to the Mediterranean was canceled after only 16 hrs at sea. The ship was taken out of service for drydock repairs, and passengers refund/compensation package cost P&O UK about GBP 6 million. Aurora returned to service 2 weeks later.
mv Aurora was christened on April 27, 2000, by godmother HRH Princess Royal. The list of other P and O cruise ships named by British Royals includes Oriana (April 6, 1995, by HM The Queen), Britannia (March 10, 2015, by HM The Queen) and the ships Oceana and Adonia (Azamara Pursuit since 2018). Both vessels were named on May 21, 2003, by HRH Princess Royal and her daughter Zara Phillips.