Aurora Expeditions (Small Cruise Lines)
Greg Mortimer Review and Specifications
Specifications of Greg Mortimer
|Year built||2019 new ship|
|Builder||CMIH-China Merchants Heavy Industry (Haimen shipyard, Jiangsu China)|
|Class||ULSTEIN CX103 (ice-strengthened expedition ship)|
|Building cost||USD 65 million|
|Owner||SunStone Ships Inc|
|Operator||Aurora Expeditions Australia|
|Speed||16 kn / 30 kph / 18 mph|
|Length (LOA)||104 m / 341 ft|
|Beam (width)||18 m / 59 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||7400 gt|
|Passengers||120 - 160|
|Decks with cabins||4|
Review of Greg Mortimer
MS Greg Mortimer cruise ship is an ice-strengthened (class 1A / PC6) expedition vessel with scheduled delivery in August 2019. The boat is owned by SunStone Ships (USA) and operated under charter by Aurora Expeditions (Australian company specializing in Arctic and Antarctic cruises). This is the first vessel in a series of 4 "Ulstein CX103" design (Infinity-class) expedition cruise ships, sister to Ocean Victory (2021).
Aurora Expeditions cooperated with the US-based shipowner SunStone Ships Inc to construct a custom-designed vessel for expedition-type voyages in the polar regions, providing industry's best adventure travel vacation experiences and modern amenities.
With the highest for passenger vessel ice-class 1A (Polar Class 6 / PC6), MS Greg Mortimer complies with the latest polar code specifications, offering unprecedented levels of safety and environmental protection. Exclusively designed for polar cruises, the vessel allows Aurora Expeditions to continue to provide the company's authentic, top quality small-ship travel experience.
Aurora Expeditions is among the pioneers of polar expedition cruising and a leading adventure travel company on the Australian market. The company was one of the first to introduce ship travel to numerous remote destinations in the polar regions. Established in 1991, in 2008 Aurora Expeditions was sold and the new owners remained true to the original expedition spirit. Initially offering small-group cruises to Antarctica, Aurora Expeditions now also operates expedition voyages to Norway's Svalbard Islands, Russia's Far East, Greenland, Papua New Guinea, Africa (Chobe River safari cruises in Botswana), Amazon River. For polar operations, Aurora Expeditions charters the ice-strengthened Polar Pioneer (fka Akademik Schuleykin), as well as the Russian research ships Spirit of Enderby (aka Professor Khromov) and Akademik Shokalskiy.
The major advantage of the patented "ULSTEIN X-BOW" design is the ship's ability to navigate with improved stability in comparison to traditional bow-design vessels. X-BOW vessels are less subject to vertical motions (induced by waves), continuing on course smoothly while maintaining high speeds. The ship's engines use less fuel, which results in reduced air emissions and fuel consumption.
The ship is equipped with the latest propulsion and return-to-port systems. It also has top-notch dynamic positioning technology - computer-controlled systems allowing automatic maintenance of the vessel's position through its own propulsion units (thrusters and propellers). This allows stable floating while maintaining the necessary stability for launching watercraft - and without using anchors.
Aurora Expeditions new ships make access to nature much more easier and offer more comfortable experiences with dedicated observation decks and outdoor viewing areas. The ship features a custom-designed marina (watersports platform) for seakayaking, snorkeling and scuba diving. A fleet of 20 small-sized Zodiacs (inflatable boats) are used for passenger transportation (tendering and landings). The aft-located Zodiac loading platform allows easy boarding. The ship has lifeboats (full passenger capacity) and spacious Sun Deck used for both relaxation and wildlife viewing.
Greg Mortimer ship has a total of 80 staterooms for 120 passengers (max capacity 160).
- Most staterooms (80% of all, excepting only Aurora cabins with portholes on Deck 3) are with a private, step-out balcony accessible from the living area via sliding, floor-ceiling glass door. Each balcony is furnished with a small table and two deck chairs. 60% of all cabins can be booked with triple occupancy (accommodate a 3rd person on pull out sofabed).
- Hotel beds (King-size or two twin, size 200 x 160 cm, ample underbed storage space for suitcases), sleeping couch (sofabed), bedside cabinets, mirrored vanity (writing desk / dressing table) with chair, built-in dressers with drawers, mini-bar / refrigerator, 42-inch flat HDTV (local and satellite reception), phone (onboard communication only), digital clock / alarm, seating area (small table with 1 or 2 armchairs), spacious wardrobe (closet with hangers, drawers, electronic safe), individual climate control, medical emergency button.
- Each stateroom has a private, full-size bathroom with shower / WC, hairdryer, premium bath amenities,.
- Suites are in 3 categories - CS-Captain's, JS-Junior and BS-Balcony. These are the largest staterooms, with double-size balconies and offering extra amenities, such as in-room dining service (continental breakfast served on the balcony).
The ship has a total of 20 pairs of connecting cabins (balconied) that can be booked as one stateroom for up to 6 persons. This makes them perfect for traveling families. The boat has no wheelchair-accessible cabins (for passengers with disabilities).
On January 22, 2018, Aurora Expedition officially announced MS Greg Mortimer's full polar cruise itinerary program for the inaugural season 2019-2020.
The "Inaugural Cruise" to Antarctica was scheduled for October 2019. Follow a total of 20 voyages (season 2019-2020) which itineraries visit Antarctic Peninsula, South Georgia Island (UK) and The Falklands, as well as the located in the Arctic Ocean Svalbard (Norway), Jan Mayen Island (Norway), Franz Josef Land (Russia), East Greenland, Iceland.
Greg Mortimer wiki
- The cruise ship's name honours Greg Mortimer (born 1952) - Aurora Expeditions company's co-founder (together with his wife Margaret Mortimer). He is best known as one of the first Australians to climb Mt Everest without oxygen (in October 1984).
- On March 17, 2018, officially started the vessel's construction with the steel-cutting ceremony at Jiangsu FRP shipyard (Haimen Base, China). The ceremony was attended by Xianfu Hu (CMIH's General Manager) and Niels-Erik Lund (SunStone's CEO).
- On June 12, 2018, was held boat's keel laying ceremony.
- In the end of February 2018, the ship-charterer Aurora Expeditions announced company's deal with "CMI Leisure Management" (Miami-based company). The MS Greg Mortimer ship management deal included staffing, hotel services, housekeeping, onboard food and beverages, purchasing supplies, logistics. CMI Leisure is among the world's leading companies providing small-ship management services. The company was first contracted by Aurora Expeditions for managing the SunStone-owned ship MS Polar Pioneer.
- On March 16, 2017, SunStone Ships Inc signed the 4-ship building agreement with the Hong Kong-based company "China Merchants Industry Holdings" (abbrev CMIH) for construction of the 4 vessels. SunStone is the world's largest (by tonnage) shipowner chartering exclusively expedition vessels to the cruise travel industry. , Since there is an option for additional 6 sisterships, by this so called "ULSTEIN CX103" project could be built up to 10 vessels,
- The company CMIH is a subsidiary of China Merchants Group (among country's largest groups of companies). Following the contract with SunStone Ships, CMIH signed an agreement with the Norwegian company Ulstein Design (part of Ulstein Group, headquartered in Ulsteinvik Norway) to supply the ship design and equipment package (ULSTEIN COM / Navigation Bridge system, and the integrated automation systems ULSTEIN IAS and ULSTEIN POWER), and also to supervise the shipyard works. For the ship's hotel design was contracted the Florida (USA)-based company Tomas Tillberg Design International (specializing in passenger vessel design). The design features Ulstein's patented X-BOW (providing fuel efficiency and significantly improved stability in rough weather). The vessel complies with the 2009-issued SOLAS requirements for "Virtual Anchorage" and "Safe Return to Port" (SRtP).
- CMIH also signed an agreement with the Finnish company "IS Makinen Inc" to pre-fabricate the vessels' cabins, wet units and interior public spaces. For this purpose, Makinen established a cabin assembly plant and an interior workshop facility at the shipbuilding yard in China.
- Project's shipbuilder is the subsidiary company "China Merchants Heavy Industry".
- The ship is powered by 4x "Wartsila 20" diesel engines (two 6-cylinder plus two 8-cylinder) running on HFO (heavy fuel oil). The 6-cylinder engines are fitted with the exhaust gas cleaning system "Wartsila NOR" (NOx gas reducing technology). The contract with Wartsila was signed in November 2017. The engines were delivered in January 2018.
- The USD 260 million shipbuilding order for the 4 boats was signed in June 2017. First vessel of the series (Greg Mortimer) was scheduled for delivery in August 2019, followed by one ship every 6 months after. MS Greg Mortimer officially enters service in September 2019.
Greg Mortimer - user reviews and comments
Photos of Greg MortimerAdd Photo
Greg Mortimer ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
The keel was laid for Greg Mortimer cruise ship, being built at CMHI (China Merchants Heavy Industry) yard in Xaimen. Greg Mortimer is the first in a...June 28, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Shipbuilder CMHI (China Merchants Heavy Industry) held an official keel laying ceremony on June 12 for its new expedition cruise ship, being built...June 16, 2018
- Cruise Industry
China has started building its first ever polar expedition cruise ship, according to state news agency Xinhua. The country looks to shipping lanes...March 19, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Australia’s leading expedition cruise company, Aurora Expeditions, announced the inaugural 2019-2020 polar season of its new world-class...March 4, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Australia’s leading polar adventure cruise company, Aurora Expeditions, announced the delivery of its first new, purpose-built, expedition ship...May 16, 2017
- show more news
Other Aurora Expeditions cruise ships
Greg Mortimer Itineraries
The below listed Greg Mortimer cruise prices on itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Small Cruise Lines fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|Date||Cruise Name||Departure Port||Price from|
|2019 Oct 31||12 days, round-trip Spirit of Antarctica||Ushuaia||$7615|
|2019 Nov 10||12 days, round-trip Spirit of Antarctica||Ushuaia||$7615|
|2019 Nov 20||12 days, round-trip Spirit of Antarctica||Ushuaia||$7615|
|2019 Nov 30||20 days, round-trip South Georgia & Antarctic Odyssey||Ushuaia||$13692|
|2019 Dec 17||13 days, one-way from Ushuaia to Punta Arenas||Ushuaia||$7000|
|2019 Dec 29||21 days, round-trip South Georgia & Antarctic Odyssey||Ushuaia||$14385|
|2020 Jan 17||12 days, one-way from Ushuaia to Punta Arenas||Ushuaia||$7462|
|2020 Jan 26||11 days, one-way from Punta Arenas to Ushuaia||Punta Arenas||$7462|
|2020 Feb 04||13 days, round-trip Across the Antarctic Circle||Ushuaia||$8923|
|2020 Feb 15||12 days, one-way from Ushuaia to Punta Arenas||Ushuaia||$8231|
|2020 Feb 25||10 days, one-way from King George Island to Punta Arenas||King George Island||$6462|
|2020 Mar 04||13 days, one-way from King George Island to Ushuaia||King George Island||$8615|
|2020 Mar 15||21 days, round-trip South Georgia & Antarctic Odyssey||Ushuaia||$13615|
|2020 Apr 03||16 days, one-way from Ushuaia to Valparaiso||Ushuaia||$5538|
|2020 Apr 17||14 days, one-way from Valparaiso to Guayaquil||Valparaiso||$4769|
|2020 Apr 29||11 days, one-way from Guayaquil to Cartagena||Guayaquil||$3692|
|2020 May 08||16 days, one-way from Cartagena to Miami||Cartagena||$5538|
|2020 Jun 22||10 days, round-trip Svalbard Odyssey||Longyearbyen||$6308|
|2020 Jul 02||10 days, one-way from Longyearbyen to Kirkenes||Longyearbyen||$6308|
|2020 Jul 12||14 days, round-trip Franz Josef Land Explorer||Kirkenes||$8692|
|2020 Jul 26||14 days, one-way from Kirkenes to Reykjavik||Kirkenes||$8077|
|2020 Aug 09||24 days, one-way from Reykjavik to Longyearbyen||Reykjavik||$13000|
|2020 Aug 31||20 days, one-way from Longyearbyen to Bergen||Longyearbyen||$11462|
|2020 Sep 24||20 days, one-way from Reykjavik to St Johns||Reykjavik||$11462|