Sisimiut (Holsteinsborg) is Greenland's 2nd-largest city (after country's capital Nuuk), with population around 6,000. It is located in central-western Greenland, approx 320 km (200 ml) north of Nuuk.
Sisimiut is country's northernmost port and is ice-free the whole year-round. It is also a major cargo shipping base for west-northwest Greenland. Supply vessels depart from here towards smaller towns in remote regions (like Uummannaq, Upernavik, Qaanaaq).
- This is one of Greenland's fastest growing towns, with principal industry commercial fishing. KNI AS (aka Greenland Trade) and its subsidiary company Pilersuisoq (general stores chain) are based here. The city features communal apartment blocks, modern suburb-style buildings (on Kangerluarsunnguaq Bay), several schools (professional and general), Taseralik Culture Center (country's second - after Nuuk's Katuaq).
- Sisimiut Airport is served by the domestic airline Air Greenland, which provides connections to towns on the western coast and also to Europe (via Kangerlussuaq).
- Kangerluarsunnguaq Bay is to the north of Sisimiut. It separates the town from Palasip Qaqqaa Mountain in the north. This bay is navigable and protected. Both the cargo port and the harbor are on the bay's southern shore. There is a 4 km (2,5 ml) long road to the airport, passing through the bridge over the bay. Halfway between the town and the airport there is a small, dark-sand beach.
- Alanngorsuaq Mountain (highest elevation point 411 m / 1348 ft) is surrounded by several lakes, one of which serves the town as fresh water reservoir. The valley and lakes under the mountain are Sisimiut's primary recreation areas.
- Nasaasaaq Mountain (highest elevation point 784 m / 2572 ft) is to the southeast of the town.
Sisimiut Greenland was included as port of call in the Northwest Passage cruises of the following passenger ships:
- Crystal Serenity - 32-days itinerary from Seward Alaska to NYC New York (2016 - August 16 to September 16)
- Crystal Serenity - 32-days itinerary 32-days Seward to New York City (2017 - August 15 to September 15)
- Note: All Northwest Passage ship transits are assisted by a Canadian icebreaker or other vessel with an ice-strengthened hull.
Port Sisimiut cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Sisimiut, Greenland. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|11 July, 2019|
|25 July, 2019|
|27 July, 2019|
|28 July, 2019|
|31 July, 2019|
The Sisimiut cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Sisimiut, Greenland.
If you lose the Sisimiut location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.