Ilulissat is a port town in western Greenland, located approx 350 km (220 ml) north of the Arctic Circle. The town covers a total area of approx 11 km2 (4 ml2). Its population of around 5,000 ranks it Greenland's 3rd-largest city - after Nuuk and Sisimiut. Almost as many as the people are the sled-dogs.
- The town was established in 1741 as trading post. The Zion Church was built in late 18th century, and was Greenland's biggest man-made structure at the time. In 1850, the final resident of Sermermiut (situated nearby) moved to Ilulissat.
- Ilulissat Icefjord (an UNESCO World Heritage Site) with its pure white icebergs makes this port town a popular cruise ship tourist destination. Another major attraction is the enormous Disco Bay.
- The town is served by Ilulissat Airport - located approx 3 km (2 ml) northeast of the town's center. The airport was built in 1983 to serve flights to other towns in mid- and north-westestern Greenland. Flights are operated by the domestic airline Air Greenland. Since 2011, Air Iceland also offers flights from Ilulissat to Reykjavík Iceland.
- The Arctic Umiaq ferry links Ilulissat with Nuuk, Sisimiut, and other large towns on Greenland's western and southwestern coast.
Ilulissat Greenland was included as port of call in the Northwest Passage cruises of the following ships:
- Crystal Serenity - 32-days itinerary from Seward Alaska to NYC New York (2016 - August 16 to September 16)
- Crystal Serenity - 32-days itinerary 32-days Seward to New York City (2017 - August 15 to September 15)
- Note: All Northwest Passage ship transits are assisted by a Canadian icebreaker or other vessel with an ice-strengthened hull.
Port Ilulissat cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Ilulissat, Greenland. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
The Ilulissat cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Ilulissat, Greenland.
If you lose the Ilulissat location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Police in Greenland are investigating an accident on Sunday which resulted in the sinking of a local boat carrying 23 passengers and 3 crew members...August 16, 2016
- show more news