Hanseatic Inspiration Review and Specifications
Specifications of Hanseatic Inspiration
|Year built||2019 new ship|
|Builder||VARD shipyards (Tulcea Romania and Langsten Norway)|
|Class||ice-strengthened expedition ship|
|Building cost||EUR 145 million (USD 155 million)|
|Speed||16 kn / 30 kph / 18 mph|
|Length (LOA)||138 m / 453 ft|
|Beam (width)||22 m / 72 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||15540 gt|
|Passengers||199 - 230|
|Decks with cabins||7|
|Sister-ships||Hanseatic Nature, Hanseatic Spirit|
Review of Hanseatic Inspiration
Hapag-Lloyd entered the expedition travel market with three ultra-luxury cruise ships - Hanseatic Inspiration (October 2019), Hanseatic Nature (April 2019) and Hanseatic Spirit (2021). All boats are of the same design.
History - construction and ownership
Hapag-Lloyd Cruises (Kreuzfahrten) is Hamburg-based cruise company, subsidiary of Hapag-Lloyd AG (shipowner) - currently ranked world's 5th largest container shipping line in terms of fleet capacity. Until 2017, HL Cruises was fully-owned subsidiary of Europe's leading travel group TUI AG.
The 230-passenger cruise ship Hanseatic Inspiration was built by Norwegian company VARD Holdings Ltd (subsidiary of Fincantieri) at Tulcea shipyard (Romania). The vessel has ice-class PC6 (highest for passenger ships) and offers 5-star premium hotel service and amenities, gourmet cuisine, large staterooms and public spaces.
Hapag-Lloyd's new cruise ship design is based on ice-strengthened hull and implemented top-notch marine technologies developed specifically for polar vessel. Among those is the long-range 3D sonar "FarSounder 1000". The device is forward-looking (installed in the ship's bow) and integrated into the vessel's bridge navigation system. The sonar allows it to maneuver through icy waters, showing and mapping approaching hazards, such as icebergs or shallow coral reefs.
The ship design features 2 extendible glass balconies (glass-bottomed and glass-walled) providing passengers with the unique feeling of floating over the water. The vessel has a retractable Navigation Bridge wing allowing it to pass through narrow river and canal locks.
Hanseatic Inspiration is fitted with modern environmental-friendly technologies and equipment. Vessel's hull shape is optimised to reduce fuel consumption and the overall bunker consumption. The ship has SCR catalytic converter, reducing NOx emissions by nearly 95%. The ship's propulsion features a PROMAS rudder with specially-designed propeller that helps reducing fuel consumption and lowers emissions. A special polar equipment are the ice detectors - thermal imaging technology with infrared cameras. Cold ironing (shore-to-ship power capabilities) are also available.
Cruise itinerary program
MS Hanseatic Inspiration itinerary program is based on cruise expeditions to Polar destinations (Arctic and Antarctica), as well as tropical destinations like the South Seas and Amazon remaining on the itinerary.
In addition to polar itineraries, the ship also operates on voyages visiting Amazon River, Chilean Fjords, Azores Islands, Cape Verde Islands. Itinerary durations range between 4-day Frisian Islands (aka Wadden Islands, in North Sea, Europe) to 20-day Antarctica.
During the inaugural cruise season, the ship will also visit the Great Lakes.
MS Hanseatic Inspiration accommodates up to 230 passengers (up to 199 on Antarctic expeditions) in a total of 120 cabins in 10 categories.
- Cabins: Panorama (22 m2/237 ft2), French Balcony 21/23 m2 (226/248 ft2), and Balcony (28 m2/301 ft2) with private balcony (6 m2/65 ft2). Amenities include separable beds, Nordic walking poles, binoculars, rain shower, free mini bar, coffee machine, heated wall in the bathrooms for wet parkas and towels.
- Junior Suites (43 m2/463 ft2) with private balcony (6 m2/65 ft2). Amenities include butler service, separate living and sleeping areas (with panoramic views and TVs), separate dining area, separable beds, Nordic walking poles, binoculars, free mini bar, coffee machine, bathroom with rain shower and two sinks, steam sauna in the shower area, heated wall in the bathrooms for wet parkas and towels.
- Grand Suites (71 m2/764 ft2) with private veranda (16 m2/172 ft2) featuring space heaters. Amenities include exclusive service privileges, butler service, separate living and sleeping areas (with panoramic views and TVs), separate dining area, separable beds, Nordic walking poles, binoculars, free mini bar, coffee machine, daylight bathroom with balcony access, free-standing bath, rain shower and two sinks, steam sauna in the shower area, separate toilet, heated wall in the bathrooms for wet parkas and towels.
- Kids under 11 years old travel for free. Teens (ages 12-15) travel at fixed rate EUR 60 per night.
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
Meals are offered within open-seating during the day. Dinner is served in the ship's main dining room restaurant (aft on deck 4). The ship has 2 bars and 3 restaurants: Main Restaurant (178 seats), Speciality Restaurant (44 seat) and Bistro Restaurant (Lido Buffet) with 84 indoor seats plus around 100 outdoor seats.
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
MS Hanseatic Inspiration offers sophisticated atmosphere and the chance to visit exotic ports. Each voyage is accompanied by lectors. There are extensive wellness and fitness areas, as well as an aft marina platform for water sports. 16 onboard Zodiacs (inflatable boats) and E-Zodiacs (with electric-powered engines) make possible landings in remote expedition areas, regardless of their vicinity to a port.
- Main Lounge (deck 4) with cutting-edge technology suitable for media presentations, precaps and recaps, full Bar, separate Smoking Lounge.
- Observation Lounge (deck 8)
- Fitness area (100 m2 / 1076 ft2) with modern exercise equipment, separate Course Room (for classes).
- Spa area (215 m2 / 2314 ft2) with ocean view.
- Pool deck area with swimming pool, jaccuzi, Pool Bar
- Spacious top-deck Sun Deck with flexible canopy (shaded seating area).
- Interactive Knowledge Studio - enables passengers to do their own research whenever they wish by viewing the information.
Hanseatic Inspiration wiki
- Cruise ship cabins were prefabricated by the shipbuilder's sister company VARD Accommodation. Staterooms was designed by the Finnish company NIT Design, which also supplied all the materials. Besides the ship's cabins and their balconies, NIT Design also made the Spa, the a la carte restaurant, all staircases and outdoor deck areas.
- Ship's scheduled delivery was for October 2019, but instead the vessel will be delivered 6 months earlier (April 2019). The cruise ship will be launched with Hapag-Lloyd's new livery (on a blue hull).
- On October 9, 2017, was the vessel's steel-cutting ceremony held at the VARD shipyard in Tulcea Romania. The keel-laying ceremony was on October 18, during which a special coin was traditionally placed under the first steel block (part of the hull) for good luck. In Romania was constructed only the hull (weight 6500 tons), while the rest of the ship was built at the VARD shipyard in Langsten Norway (near Alesund). The 4000 ml (6450 km) long towing of the hull from Romania to Norway takes around 5 weeks.
- In November 2017, Hapag-Lloyd Cruises announced that hull design changes resulted in projected over 10% annual fuel savings for the new expedition vessels. After initial assessment, the hull's efficiency was optimized using DNV GL developed form optimization process that included 10,000 hull design analysis to confirm the hull model optimization results. The main changes were done to the hull's stern - optimized for passenger comfort by minimizing the impact from slamming.
- Hapag-Lloyd opened bookings for both new Hanseatic ships (Inspiration and Nature) on January 23, 2018.
- Ship's christening ceremony was scheduled for October 13, 2019, in Antwerp Belgium.
Inaugural itineraries 2019-2020
The Inaugural Cruise (scheduled for April 2019) is 13-day itinerary from Hamburg Germany to Lisbon Portugal. Follow itineraries in the Mediterranean and Canary Islands.
Follows a list of maiden voyages with ports of call.
- 15-day "Western Europe" (October 14-29, 2019) from Antwerp Belgium to Tenerife, Canaries, visiting Honfleur, Guernsey (Channel Islands), La Coruna, Lisbon (overnight), Portimao, Casablanca (Morocco), Porto Santo Island (Madeira), Funchal (Madeira, overnight).
- 17-day "Amazon River" (March 25-April 11, 2020) from Belem Brazil to Iquitos (Peru) (via Manaus Brazil).
- 14-day "Great Lakes" (June 3-17, 2020) cruising on Detroit River, Lake Huron (visiting Mackinac Island), Sault Ste. Marie (Ontario, Canada), Lake Superior (visiting Thunder Bay), Lake Michigan.
Hanseatic Inspiration - user reviews and comments
Photos of Hanseatic InspirationAdd Photo
Hanseatic Inspiration ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
Hapag-Lloyd Cruises intends to draw more English speakers via a new dual-language expedition ship. The Hamburg-based 230-passenger Hanseatic...September 18, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Hapag-Lloyd will hold the naming ceremony for its 2nd expedition ship, Hanseatic Inspiration, on October 13, 2019 against the backdrop of Belgian...March 19, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Hapag-Lloyd Cruises announced bookings will open January 23 for its 2 new expedition ships expected next year. Line's 230-passenger Hanseatic Nature...January 21, 2018
- Cruise Industry
The new expedition ships of Hapag-Lloyd Cruises will burn 10% less fuel as the result of new design changes made following optimisation work with DNV...November 13, 2017
- Cruise Industry
Construction of second new expedition ship of Hapag-Lloyd Cruises, Hanseatic Inspiration, is already underway at Vard's shipyard (Tulcea, Romania...October 9, 2017
- show more news
Other Hapag-Lloyd Cruises cruise ships
Hanseatic Inspiration Itineraries
The below listed Hanseatic Inspiration cruise prices on itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Hapag-Lloyd Cruises fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|Date||Cruise Name||Departure Port||Price from|
|2019 Nov 14||14 days, one-way from Bridgetown to Callao||Bridgetown||$7592|