Hanseatic Spirit Review and Specifications
Specifications of Hanseatic Spirit
|Year built||2021 new ship|
|Builder||VARD shipyards (Tulcea Romania and Langsten Norway)|
|Class||ice-strengthened expedition ship|
|Building cost||EUR 145 million (USD 155 million)|
|Speed||16 kn / 30 kph / 18 mph|
|Length (LOA)||138 m / 453 ft|
|Beam (width)||22 m / 72 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||15540 gt|
|Passengers||199 - 230|
|Decks with cabins||7|
|Sister-ships||Hanseatic Inspiration, Hanseatic Nature|
Review of Hanseatic Spirit
MS Hanseatic Spirit cruise ship is the third (last, for now) of Hapag-Lloyd's new expedition cruise ships - with sisterships Hanseatic Inspiration (October 2019) and Hanseatic Nature (April 2019). Spirit is currently on order (under construction) with scheduled launch in 2021-Q2. All boats are of the same design.
History - construction and ownership
Hapag-Lloyd Cruises (Kreuzfahrten) is Hamburg-based cruise company, subsidiary of Hapag-Lloyd AG (shipowner) - currently ranked world's 5th largest container shipping line in terms of fleet capacity. Until 2017, HL Cruises was fully-owned subsidiary of Europe's leading travel group TUI AG.
The 230-passenger cruise ship Hanseatic Spirit was built by VARD Holdings Ltd (the Norwegian subsidiary company of the Italian shipbuilder Fincantieri). The hull is constructed at Tulcea shipyard (Romania), while the rest of the ship was built at VARD's shipyard in Langsten (Norway). The vessel has ice-class PC6 (highest for passenger ships) and offers 5-star premium hotel service and amenities, gourmet cuisine, large staterooms and public spaces.
Hapag-Lloyd's new cruise ship design is based on ice-strengthened hull and implemented top-notch marine technologies developed specifically for polar vessel. Among those is the long-range 3D sonar "FarSounder 1000". The device is forward-looking (installed in the ship's bow) and integrated into the vessel's bridge navigation system. The sonar allows it to maneuver through icy waters, showing and mapping approaching hazards, such as icebergs or shallow coral reefs.
The ship design features 2 extendible glass balconies (glass-bottomed and glass-walled) providing passengers with the unique feeling of floating over the water. The vessel has a retractable Navigation Bridge wing allowing it to pass through narrow river and canal locks.
Hanseatic Spirit is fitted with modern environmental-friendly technologies and equipment. Vessel's hull shape is optimised to reduce fuel consumption and the overall bunker consumption. The ship has SCR catalytic converter, reducing NOx emissions by nearly 95%. The ship's propulsion features a PROMAS rudder with specially-designed propeller that helps reducing fuel consumption and lowers emissions. A special polar equipment are the ice detectors - thermal imaging technology with infrared cameras. Cold ironing (shore-to-ship power capabilities) are also available.
Cruise itinerary program
MS Hanseatic Spirit itinerary program is based on cruise expeditions to Polar destinations (Arctic and Antarctica), as well as tropical destinations like the South Seas and Amazon remaining on the itinerary.
In addition to polar itineraries, the ship also operates on voyages visiting Amazon River, Chilean Fjords, Azores Islands, Cape Verde Islands. Itinerary durations range between 4-day Frisian Islands (aka Wadden Islands, in North Sea, Europe) to 20-day Antarctica.
During the inaugural cruise season, the ship will also visit the Great Lakes.
MS Hanseatic Spirit accommodates up to 230 passengers (up to 199 on Antarctic cruises) having 120 staterooms in 10 categories.
- Cabins: Panorama (22 m2/237 ft2), French Balcony 21/23 m2 (226/248 ft2), and Balcony (28 m2/301 ft2) with private balcony (6 m2/65 ft2). Amenities include separable beds, Nordic walking poles, binoculars, rain shower, free mini bar, coffee machine, heated wall in the bathrooms for wet parkas and towels.
- Junior Suites (43 m2/463 ft2) with private balcony (6 m2/65 ft2). Amenities include butler service, separate living and sleeping areas (with panoramic views and TVs), separate dining area, separable beds, Nordic walking poles, binoculars, free mini bar, coffee machine, bathroom with rain shower and two sinks, steam sauna in the shower area, heated wall in the bathrooms for wet parkas and towels.
- Grand Suites (71 m2/764 ft2) with private veranda (16 m2/172 ft2) featuring space heaters. Amenities include exclusive service privileges, butler service, separate living and sleeping areas (with panoramic views and TVs), separate dining area, separable beds, Nordic walking poles, binoculars, free mini bar, coffee machine, daylight bathroom with balcony access, free-standing bath, rain shower and two sinks, steam sauna in the shower area, separate toilet, heated wall in the bathrooms for wet parkas and towels.
- Kids under 11 years old travel for free. Teens (ages 12-15) travel at fixed rate EUR 60 per night.
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
Meals are offered within open-seating during the day. Dinner is served in the ship's main dining room restaurant (aft on deck 4). The ship has 2 bars and 3 restaurants: Main Restaurant (178 seats), Speciality Restaurant (44 seat) and Bistro Restaurant (Lido Buffet) with 84 indoor seats plus around 100 outdoor seats.
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
MS Hanseatic Spirit offers sophisticated atmosphere and the chance to visit exotic ports. Each voyage is accompanied by lectors. There are extensive wellness and fitness areas, as well as an aft marina platform for water sports. 16 onboard Zodiacs (inflatable boats) and E-Zodiacs (with electric-powered engines) make possible landings in remote expedition areas, regardless of their vicinity to a port.
- Main Lounge (deck 4) with cutting-edge technology suitable for media presentations, precaps and recaps, full Bar, separate Smoking Lounge.
- Observation Lounge (deck 8)
- Fitness area (100 m2 / 1076 ft2) with modern exercise equipment, separate Course Room (for classes).
- Spa area (215 m2 / 2314 ft2) with ocean view.
- Pool deck area with swimming pool, jaccuzi, Pool Bar
- Spacious top-deck Sun Deck with flexible canopy (shaded seating area).
- Interactive Knowledge Studio - enables passengers to do their own research whenever they wish by viewing the information.
Hanseatic Spirit wiki
- Cruise ship cabins were prefabricated by the shipbuilder's sister company VARD Accommodation. Staterooms was designed by the Finnish company NIT Design, which also supplied all the materials. Besides the ship's cabins and their balconies, NIT Design also made the Spa, the a la carte restaurant, all staircases and outdoor deck areas.
- Ship's keel consists of 2 steel blocks, each with length 9 m, width 11 m, height 1,5 m and weight 33 tons.
- In November 2017, Hapag-Lloyd Cruises announced that hull design changes resulted in projected over 10% annual fuel savings for the new expedition vessels. After initial assessment, the hull's efficiency was optimized using DNV GL developed form optimization process that included 10,000 hull design analysis to confirm the hull model optimization results. The main changes were done to the hull's stern - optimized for passenger comfort by minimizing the impact from slamming.
- On July 3, 2018, VARD signed the shipbuilding contract for Hanseatic Spirit. Hapag-Lloyd officially announced that the ship will be marketed as adults-only. TUI Group announced its plans for 3rd vessel in the Expedition series in May 2018.
- In Romania is constructed only the hull (weight 6500 tons), while the rest of the ship is built at VARD's shipyard in Langsten Norway (near Alesund). The 4000 ml (6450 km) long towing of the hull from Romania to Norway takes around 5 weeks.
Hanseatic Spirit - user reviews and comments
Photos of Hanseatic SpiritAdd Photo
Hanseatic Spirit ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
Vard Holdings Ltd announced it had secured a new contract for the design and building of a luxury expedition cruise ship for German cruise line Hapag...July 4, 2018
- Cruise Industry
TUI Group approved construction of a 3rd Hanseatic-class newbuild for Hapag-Lloyd Cruises, scheduled for delivery in 2021. In its half-year results...May 10, 2018
- show more news