Dutch Harbor Unalaska (Alaska)
Cruise Port schedule, live map, terminals, news
Dutch Harbor is a famous port town located on Amaknak Island (aka Umaknak) facing Unalaska City (to the south) on Unalaska Island (part of Alaska's Aleutian Archipelago). Port Dutch Harbor (locode USDUT) is the USA's largest fishing port by volume caught. Dutch Harbor is within Unalaska City's limits, being interconnected by a bridge.
Dutch Harbor is home of a major commercial fishing industry, ranked as top fishing port with over a USD 1 billion being transferred each year. The industry is heavily based on the enormous harvests of cod and pollock in the Bering Sea, which continental shelf is one of the world's largest and supports an abundant ecosystem. Dutch Harbor has turned into a full-service port (including for cruise ships).
During WW2 (1939-45), the Battle of Dutch Harbor took place here (in June 1942), as one of the few American territories bombed by the Japanese. The harbor was also featured in the Discovery Channel's reality TV series "Deadliest Catch".
Unalaska Island is the second-largest of the Aleutians and the largest in the Fox Islands group. The island has length of 128 km (80 mi), width of 56 km (35 mi), total area of 2720 km2 (1051 mi2) and population around 4,500.
The island's irregular coastline features innumerable peninsulas and inlets. The largest bays and Beaver Inlet, Makushin Bay and Unalaska Bay. The island's rugged terrain is covered with mountains. Its highest elevation is 5906 ft (1800 m).
- The regional native corporation is known as Ounalashka Corporation.
- The island was inhabited by the Aleut (Unangan) people for thousands of years. Russians arrived here in 1759 and started the fur trade.
- The city of Unalaska (population ~4500) is the largest of the Aleutian Islands. It is located on the island's north coast neighboring Amaknak Island.
- Almost all of Unalaska's port facilities are located on Amaknak Island (aka Dutch Harbor).
- Amaknak Island is home to almost 60% of Unalaska City's population.
Dutch Harbor Alaska was included as call port in the Northwest Passage cruises of the following passenger ships:
- Crystal Serenity - 32-days itinerary from Seward Alaska to NYC New York (2016/August 16 - September 16)
- Crystal Serenity - 32-days itinerary from Seward to New York City (2017/August 15 - September 15)
- Seven Seas Navigator - 63-days itinerary from Miami Florida to Montreal Quebec Canada (2017/June 17 - August 18)
Note: All Northwest Passage ship transits are assisted by a Canadian icebreaker or another vessel with an ice-strengthened hull.
Dutch Harbor Unalaska cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Unalaska Island dock (anchor) at Unalaska - port town on the northern coast (across Amaknak Island). However, most cruise ships operating in this area dock at Dutch Harbor (on the smaller Amaknak Island to the north).
Port Dutch Harbor Unalaska cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Dutch Harbor Unalaska, Alaska. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|8 May, 2023|
|11 May, 2023|
|14 May, 2023|
|Seven Seas Explorer||08:00||18:00|
|15 May, 2023|
Alaska state ferry out of service after crew tests positive for Coronavirus
The Alaska state ferry MV Tustumena is now out of service with some passengers and crew in isolation after a crew tested COVID-positive Saturday...June 8, 2020
- Cruise Industry
Alaska Ferry Services Threatened by Winter Shutdown
The Alaska Marine Highway System has no scheduled sailings past October 1, 2019, amid funding uncertainty in the budget proposal of Alaska Government...February 27, 2019
- Cruise Industry
Cruise Ship Cancellation Means ‘Significant Loss’ to Unalaska
A 2000-passenger liner was supposed to visit Unalaska on Friday, September 15, but instead decided to sail to Sitka. Despite the fact that ...September 18, 2017
- show more news