Grand Turk Island is the easternmost of the over 30 Turks and Caicos Islands and cays. The island is a British Overseas Territory (part of the UK). It covers a total area of 18 km2 (7 mi2) and has population around 4,000. Approx 120 km (75 mi) to the west-northwest of Grand Turk is located Providenciales (Provo Island).
Almost all of the island's residents are in the waterfront capital Cockburn Town. This small settlement features traditional Indian wood-with-shutters and stucco style buildings. Also here is the miles-long Governor's Beach. The 1840s built Guinep Lodge houses the Turks and Caicos National Museum, with displaying the Molasses Reef Wreck (Europe's oldest ship found in the New World. There are also exhibits on Salt industry, Loyalist Plantation Period, Taino Arawaks (island's pre-Columbian inhabitants).
The UK's Turks and Caicos islands land territory is sized approx 166 ml2 (430 km2), and the ocean territory is around 5000 ml2 (12950 km2).
- These islands are located less than 30 ml (48 km) southeast of The Bahamas (another UK territory) and approx 130 ml (210 km) north of Hispaniola Island's coast (occupied by Dominican Republic and Haiti).
- Most of the islands are sand-fringed and flat, with desert-like terrain (scrub growth). On some isles there are salt ponds, while others have limestone cliffs.
- Turks and Caicos Islands make up a British Crown Colony (self-governing status, like Bermuda). The islands' total population is around 8,000.
Grand Turk Island cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Grand Turk Island dock at a pier located south of Cockburn Town.
The island's cruise ship terminal is named "Grand Turk Cruise Center". This is a beachfront facility located in a beautifully landscaped area sized approx 75,850 m2 (784,100 ft2). The terminal's location offers a safe approach for cruise ships and berthing the whole year-round. The distance from the docking pier to the cruise terminal is approx 120 m (390 ft).
- The cruise terminal complex offers as amenities swimming (in the ocean waters or its large swimming pool), strolling along the beach, relaxing in the complimentary chaise loungers (on the beach and around the swimming pool), renting private cabanas (poolside), renting clam shell shades (for beach chairs), renting snorkeling equipment and floats. All rental services are at the Beach Rental Hut (on the beach). Beach side massages are also offered.
- Best snorkelling location is in front the Beach Rental Hut, with a few cannons and anchors submerged there.
- The terminal building houses Caribbean’s largest Jimmy Buffett’s Margaritaville bar, also a restaurant and a retail shop.
- The swimming pool is adjacent to the Margaritaville bar. Also here is the surfing simulator "Grand Turk FlowRider". The FlowRider can be booked as a shore excursion (through the cruise company). The facility operates with 2 high pressure waves producing a 3-inch layer of water moving at high speed.
- At the more quieter South Beach is located the "Beached Whale Bar & Grill" - a signature Grand Turk Island dining venue. Its menu's featured items are Coconut Shrimp, Cracked Conch, Conch Fritters, Seafood Chowder, as well as daily fish specials.
- The terminal's shopping complex includes numerous duty-free shops (luxury jewelry, watches, designer clothing), also locally made merchandise (gifts, souvenirs), food and drink facilities.. The list of represented store brands includes Diamonds International, Tanzanite International, Silver Emporium, Dufry, Colombian Emeralds, Effy, Goodmark, Piranha Joes, Dizzy Donkey, Del Sol, Ron Jon Surf Shop, Joelle & Jake, Indigo Pearls, Goldsmith.
The following map of the cruise port shows all its facilities (including all stores).
Grand Turk Island tours, shore excursions, hotels
City Tours and Shore Excursions
Next are listed the most popular Carnival Cruise Lines tours on Grand Turk, with USD prices per adult:
- jeep safari ($95)
- scuba lessons ($120)
- kayaking ($70)
- Conch World ($35)
- buggy ($100)
- Stingray Encounter ($60)
- Flow-Rider ($40)
- history tours (from $30)
- horsback riding ($100)
- Cabana rental ($130)
- sport fishing ($from $120)
- combo tours - biking-snorkeling ($70), catamaran-snorkeling ($90), bot-snorkeling ($70)