MV Hondius Review and Specifications
Specifications of MV Hondius
|Year built||2019 new ship|
|Builder||Brodosplit Shipyard (Split, Croatia)|
|Class||ice-strengthened expedition ship|
|Building cost||USD 85 million|
|Speed||15 kn / 28 kph / 17 mph|
|Length (LOA)||108 m / 354 ft|
|Beam (width)||18 m / 59 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||6300 gt|
|Passengers||174 - 196|
|Decks with cabins||4|
Review of MV Hondius
MV Hondius cruise ship is the newest Oceanwide Expeditions vessel - with fleetmates Ortelius and Plancius, and also the polar sailing ships Noorderlicht and Rembrandt van Rijn. The newbuild passenger ship is ice-classed "LR PC6" (Polar Class 6) having an ice-strengthened hull.
Due to the increasing demand for polar cruises, Oceanwide Expeditions announced a brand new expedition ship. The newbuild is of "LR PC6" (Polar Class 6, ice-strengthened vessel), with two main engines (total power output 4260 kW), and able to accommodate up to 196 passengers in 85 staterooms.
Like all the other fleetmates, Hondius is equipped with rigid-hulled zodiacs (inflatable boats) used for landings (ship-to-shore passenger transportation) in remote areas.
Oceanwide Expeditions with MV Hondius have the opportunity to grow as a cruise company and carry more passengers on their ships. The name "Hondius" refers to one of the famous Dutch-Flemish cartographers Jodocus Hondius (1563-1612).
This expedition ship is specially designed for travel cruising in the Earth's polar regions (Antarctica and Arctic). The vessel boasts fast zodiac boats, sea kayaks and a covered marina platform for water-based outdoor activities. There is a deck with observation lounge and separate room for readings.
The ship has different categories of cabins for 2-4 persons. Staterooms range from 1 suite (sized 33 m2 / 355 ft2), 6 balcony staterooms, 8 French Balcony staterooms, 19 outsides / oceanview, 14 doubles (with panoramic window), 31 doubles (with porthole window), 2 triple-occupancy rooms (with a porthole) and 4 quadruple-occupancy rooms (also with a porthole).
MV Hondius wiki
- Hondius is the first newbuild passenger expedition vessel with ice-class “LR PC6”. It meets the highest demands of Lloyd’s Register “Polar Class 6” ships, the highest Polar Class notation concerning ice-strengthened passenger vessels. The ship is powered by two diesel engines (total power output 4,3 MW).
- Ship's design and technical solutions are the work of Brodosplit Design Department which confirms its key role in positioning Brodosplit shipyard as a European shipbuilding system which builds highly complex ships achieving high competitiveness.
- MS Hondius complies with the requirements of the Polar code, adopted by IMO (International Maritime Organization), in particular concerning SOLAS (safety of the life at sea) and prevention of pollution from ships (MARPOL) for passenger vessels.
- The boat is named after Joost de Hondt / latinized "Jodocus Hondius" (1563-1612) - Flemish cartographer, best known for his maps of Europe and the Americas.
- On August 23, 2017, at Brodosplit shipyard (in Split Croatia) was held the steel-cutting ceremony (hull 484), which officially started the vessel's construction.
- In November 2017, MV Hondius was among the all 22 new expedition ships on order.
- On December 5, 2017, was the keel-laying ceremony (hull number 484). The main diesel engines were installed in January 2018.
- The vessel was launched (floated out) on June 9, 2018, and scheduled for for delivery to Oceanwide Expeditions on May 2, 2019.