Sea Cloud Spirit Review and Specifications
Specifications of Sea Cloud Spirit
|Year built||2020 new ship|
|Builder||Metalships & Docks Shipyard (Vigo, Spain)|
|Building cost||USD 100 million|
|Owner||Sea Cloud Cruises|
|Operator||Sea Cloud Cruises|
|Speed||14 kn / 26 kph / 16 mph|
|Length (LOA)||138 m / 453 ft|
|Beam (width)||17 m / 56 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||4228 gt|
|Decks with cabins||3|
|Former names||Sea Cloud Hussar|
Review of Sea Cloud Spirit
The cruise ship Sea Cloud Spirit is Sea Cloud Cruises newbuild (2020). The full-rigged, 3-masted barque is currently world's largest sail ship - with LOA length 138 m (450 ft), GT 4230 tons and DWT 935 tons. Its fleetmates are Sea Cloud 1 (1931-built private yacht, cruise service since 1979) and Sea Cloud 2 (2001-built 3-masted barque cruise ship). Sea Cloud Cruises fleet also includes the boat River Cloud 2.
History - construction and ownership
Vessel's inauguration (as "Sea Cloud Hussar") was scheduled for 2010. However, its construction was stopped after Factoria Naval de Marin (shipbuilding company specializing in luxury yachts) declared bankruptcy in 2010. The Spanish shipyard (in Marin, Pontevedra-Galicia, Spain) produced only the hull and part of the superstructure.
Cruise ship's construction was re-started in 2018 at Metalships and Docks SAU (shipyard in Vigo, Spain) with scheduled delivery in 2020. The current shipowner Sea Cloud Cruises is a Kiel Germany-based cruise company.
The vessel (design name "C-158") was commissioned by shipowner Fernando Fernandez Tapias (Spanish businessman, shipping companies owner). The contract value was USD 100 million. Sea Cloud Hussar's construction started in 2008, but due to the economic crisis the shipyard stopped working, and eventually declared payment suspensions. Hansa Treuhand rejected the vessel because of project's high cost and uncertain future. The vessel was in its final stages of completion, when in July 2010 works were halted due to shipyard's bankruptcy. The new shipowner (as mortgage lender) became BANKIA (2010-founded merger of several Spanish savings banks).
In 2014, the Vigo-based Rodman Group bought the hull from BANKIA. On May 7, 2015, the uncompleted mega-yacht was launched (floated-out from Naval Marin's drydock). It was towed to the Rodman Group-owned shipyard "Metalships & Docks" (Vigo Spain), moored and waiting for a buyer.
In September 2016, the shipyard signed a letter of intent with Hansa Treuhand Finance GmbH (part of the Hamburg-based Hansa Treuhand Holding AG) to complete Sea Cloud Hussar. In 2018, the ship was acquired by Sea Cloud Cruises and its construction was re-started.
The shipbuilder Rodman Polyships SL (subsidiary of Rodman Group) is one of the largest superyacht-building companies. Rodman specializes in ship-building and repairs, construction of pleasure boats (made from polyester reinforced with fiberglass), production of large pieces in composite materials, construction of semi-rigid boats. Rodman boats as LOA length vary between 2-170 m (7-558 ft). In 2015, Rodman Polyships had under construction 10x passenger catamarans (84-ft, 350 passengers) and 40x high-speed patrol boats, plus numerous 33-ft yachts.
Cruise itinerary program
Sea Cloud Spirit itinerary program and schedule are not announced yet. However, in the wiki section you can see ship's originally planned itineraries as homeports, ports of call, destinations and departure dates.
Sea Cloud Spirit has capacity 136 passengers (plus up to 90 crew), 4 passenger decks (out of 5) and 69 staterooms, all of which are outside. Of all cabins, 32 are with private, step-out balconies. Those include 26x Junior Suites and 6x Owner Suites. The other cabins are in category "Deluxe".
All staterooms offer as standard (complimentary) amenities smart HDTV (satellite reception, infotainment system - Internet, movies-on-demand, ship info channel, real-time Bridge Cam views), single or double beds with bedside tables, wall-mounted reading lamps, mirrored dressing table / writing desk with chair, electronic safe box (in the closet), seating area (low table with armchairs), wardrobe (slide-open), mini-bar (refrigerator), en-suite bathroom (WC, glass-door shower, single-sink with under vanity storage, hairdryer, premium bath products), LED lighting, individually controlled air-conditioning.
- Each of the Deluxe Cabins (on Deck 2) is fitted with 2 single beds and 2 small (round-shaped, non-opening) Porthole windows.
- Junior Suites (on Deck 3) are sized between 315-355 ft2 (29-33 m2) and feature panoramic windows, queen-size double bed (convertible to twins), walk-in closet, larger bathroom (with full bathtub), balcony.
- Owner Suites (forward on Deck 4) have queen-sized double bed (fixed), sitting area (with sofabed), walk-in closet, larger bathroom (with full bathtub), powder room (half-bath / WC-washbasin), balcony.
Shipboard facilities and amenities
Cruise ship's interiors were designed by the German company Partner Ship Design (Hamburg). Sea Cloud Spirit is world's first sail ship with an elevator. The lift is located misdhip and connects all decks (including top-deck). The boat has 3 staircases (forward-bow, midship and aft).
The luxury yacht also features a large Wellness complex with SPA treatment rooms (for massages), hydro-massage showers, sauna room, steam room, relaxation lounge, beauty parlour (hairdresser, manicures-pedicures), Lobby area (Reception, Purser, Tours-Cruise Director), Fitness (modern gym with cardio machines), Promenade Deck (Lido), large Sun Deck (with Jacuzzi whirlpool and sunbathing area with loungers and deckchairs).
Other signature facilities are Swimming Platform (extending from Deck 2 aft-starboard), Library (bow-located reading lounge on Deck 4), Boutique Shop (Deck 4 aft), Hospital (Deck 2 forward - infirmary with doctor and nurse on 24-hour duty), Bar Lounge (Deck 4 midship), Dining Room Restaurant (Deck 3 aft) and Lido Restaurant (bar bistro on Deck 4 aft). Both dining venues feature panoramic 270-degree views.
Onboard dining includes 4-course dinner menus and fresh-made gourmet dishes with mainly locally-sourced ingredients and fresh fish. Food and service are exceptional. Weather permitting, al fresco dining (meals served on deck) is also offered.
Dinners are with a fixed menu and waiter-served in the Dining Room. Menus are based on European cuisine, but could be tempered depending on passengers' nationalities. Each day on Promenade Deck is provided complimentary Afternoon Tea service with fresh-made snacks, including waffles with ice-cream, cakes, made-to-order crepes. Complimentary wine is offered at all meals.
Sea Cloud Spirit wiki
The 5-deck superyacht Sea Cloud Spirit has white steel hull, aluminum superstructure, 27 sails (total size around 43,000 ft2 / 4000 m2). Main mast's height / air draught is 189 ft (58 m). Max draft is 6 m (19 ft). In addition to the sails, the cruise ship is equipped with diesel-electric powerplant with MAN-Siemens marine engines. Among the subcontractors are Partnership Design (Boughton UK-based graphic design agency - interior fittings), Bohnhoff GmbH (Halstenbek Germany-based thermal cooking equipment producer - ship’s galleys, pantries and bars) and Winteb (Winschoten Holland-based aluminum air vent head producer).
The yacht has 5 service boats - 2x lifeboats (full-capacity) and 3x Zodiac boats (with launching platforms). Zodiacs are large-capacity motorized boats used for coastal exploration tours, landings and passenger disembarkation in anchorage-only ports.
Sea Cloud Hussar cruise itineraries 2010-2011
Sea Cloud Hussar's cruise program for 2010-2011 was based mainly on roundtrips in Europe (Mediterranean) and Asia (Red Sea). The inaugural cruise was scheduled for June 6 (2010) roundtrip from Hamburg to Norway. Next are listed all pre-scheduled for 2010-2011 Sea Cloud Cruises dates for the new Hussar ship.
- June 6 - July 8 (7-day maiden voyage "Southern Norway) roundtrip from Hamburg to Flekkefjord, Risor, Oslo, List auf Sylt (Germany, overnight)
- July 8-11 (3-day "North Sea") roundtrip from Hamburg to List auf Sylt (Sylt Island, overnight)
- July 11-15 (4-day "North Sea") from Hamburg to Edinburgh, visiting Dundee and Leith-Edinburgh
- July 24 - August 3 (10-day "Ireland and southern England") from Dublin to Bilbao, visiting Ireland (Waterford), England (Fowey) and France (Lorient, Le Palais / Belle-Ile Island, and Pauillac overnight). This was "golf cruise" visiting 4 golf courses - Mount Juliet Golf Club (Waterford), Carlyon Bay Golf Course (Fowey), Golf de Saint-Laurent (Lorient) and Golf du Medoc (Pauillac).
- August 3-12 (9-day "Art and Cuisine around the Iberian Peninsula") from Bilbao to Malaga, visiting La Coruna, Cies Islands (Spain), Leixoes-Porto, Lisbon (overnight), Cadiz
- August 12-19 (7-day premiere voyage "Western Mediterranean") from Malaga to Nice, visiting Ibiza, Mahon (Menorca Island), Ajaccio (Corsica Island), Saint-Tropez
- August 19-26 (7-day premiere voyage "Western Mediterranean") from Nice to Malta, visiting the islands Corsica (Calvi, Bonifacio), Sicily (Palermo), Lipari, Sicily (Syracuse) and Malta (Valletta)
- August 26 - September 3 (8-day premiere voyage "Adriatic") from Malta to Venice, visiting Otranto, Montenegro (Kotor overnight), Croatia (Dubrovnik overnight, Sibenik) and Slovenia (Piran)
- September 3-10, 10-17, 17-24 (7-day premiere voyage "Adriatic") roundtrips from Venice to Zadar, Sibenik, Dubrovnik, Kotor, Korcula, Hvar
- September 24 - October 5 (11-day premiere voyage "Adriatic") from Venice to Piraeus-Athens, visiting Croatia (Sibenik, Trogir, Korcula, Dubrovnik), Kotor, Corfu, Monemvasia, Nauplion
- October 5-12, Oct 28 - Nov 4 (7-day premiere voyage "Eastern Mediterranean") roundtrip from Piraeus-Athens to Greece and Turkey, visiting Mykonos (overnight), Rhodes, Bodrum, Kusadasi, Patmos
- October 12-20, Nov 4-12 (8-day premiere voyage "Eastern Mediterranean") from Athens to Larnaca (Cyprus), visiting Crete (Heraklion), Rhodes, Turkey (Fethiye), Syria (Tartus, Latakia)
- October 20-28 (8-day premiere voyage "Eastern Mediterranean") from Larnaca to Piraeus-Athens, visiting Tartus, Latakia, Fethiye, Rhodes, Heraklion
- November 12-22 (10-day premiere voyage "Red Sea") from Larnaca to Aqaba (Jordan), visiting Syria (Latakia, Tartus) and Egypt - Port Said (Suez Canal transit), Ain Sukhna (overnight), Safaga, Sharm El-Sheikh
- November 22 - December 2 (10-day premiere voyage "Red Sea") from Aqaba to Hodeidah (Yemen), visiting Sharm El-Sheikh, Ain Sukhna, Safaga, Marsa Alam
- December 4-14 (10-day premiere voyage " Middle East") from Mukalla (Yemen) to Dubai (UAE), visiting Salalah (Oman), 3 seadays, Muscat (Oman), Fujairah (UAE), Bandar Abbas (Iran), Kish (Iran)
In January-March 2011, Sea Cloud Hussar was supposed to be homeported in Dubai. The 7-day Middle East cruise program included roundtrips from Dubai, visiting
- Manama (Bahrain), Doha (Qatar), Sir Bani Yas Island (UAE) and Abu Dhabi (UAE overnight) - scheduled for December 14-21, January 4-11, 18-25, February 1-8, 15-22 and March 1-8
- Musandam Peninsula (Oman, with boat cruise to Telegraph Island), Khasab (Oman), Fujairah and Muscat (overnight) - scheduled for January 11-18, Jan 25 - Feb 1, February 8-15, Feb 22 - Mar 1, and March 8-15.
Sea Cloud Hussar's 14-day "Christmas and New Year Cruise" (Dec 21 - Jan 4) was planned as roundtrip from Dubai to Muscat (overnight), Fujairah (Dec 25), Musandam and Khasab, Manama, Doha, Abu Dhabi (Dec 31, overnight) and Sir Bani Yas, with all 4 seadays.
Then the new ship had planned Suez Canal repositioning back to Europe.
- March 15-25 (10-day "Middle East") from Dubai to Mukalla (Yemen), visiting Iran (Kish, Bandar Abbas), Fujairah, Muscat, Salalah
- March 27 - April 6 (10-day "Red Sea") from Hodeidah (Yemen) to Aqaba (Jordan), visiting Marsa Alam, Safaga, Ain Sukhna, Sharm El-Sheikh
- April 6-16 (10-day "Red Sea and Suez Canal") from Aqaba to Piraeus-Athens, visiting Sharm El-Sheikh, Ain Sukhna, Suez Canal transit, Rhodes, Bodrum, Kusadasi and Patmos.
Sea Cloud Spirit - user reviews and comments
Photos of Sea Cloud SpiritAdd Photo
Sea Cloud Spirit ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
DNV GL was awarded a contract for the classification of the Sea Cloud Spirit ship, built by Metalships & Docks in Vigo. Representatives from both...February 17, 2019
- Cruise Industry
Tall-ship operator Sea Cloud Cruises announced that the third ship of the fleet will be delivered in 2020. Sea Cloud Spirit will accommodate 136...November 20, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Sea Cloud Cruises published its itineraries for 2019 and bookings are already open. The fleet of the cruise line consists of 2 sailing ships, 64...March 11, 2018
- show more news
Other Sea Cloud Cruises cruise ships
Sea Cloud Spirit User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review