Carnival Cruise Line
Carnival Legend Review and Specifications
Specifications of Carnival Legend
|Year built||2002 / Age : 16|
|Builder||Rauma Shipyard (Rauma, Finland)|
|Building cost||USD 375 million|
|Owner||Carnival Corporation & PLC|
|Operator||Carnival Cruise Line|
|Speed||22 kn / 41 kph / 25 mph|
|Length (LOA)||292 m / 958 ft|
|Beam (width)||32 m / 105 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||85942 gt|
|Passengers||2124 - 2549|
|Decks with cabins||6|
|Christened by||Judi Dench|
Current itinerary of Carnival Legend
Carnival Legend current cruise is 10 days, round-trip New Zealand From Melbourne. The itinerary starts on 13 Nov, 2018 and ends on 23 Nov, 2018.
|Date / Time||Port|
|13 Nov 16:00||Departing from Melbourne, Victoria Australia|
|17 Nov 11:00 - 20:00||Dunedin, Port Chalmers, New Zealand|
|18 Nov 08:00 - 18:00||Akaroa, New Zealand|
|19 Nov 08:00 - 17:00||Wellington, New Zealand|
|23 Nov 07:00||Arriving in Melbourne, Victoria Australia|
Review of Carnival Legend
Launched in 2002, Carnival Legend is the 3rd of four Spirit-class Carnival ships, together with Carnival Miracle, Spirit and Pride. Legend was last refurbished in early 2014 to get ready for her debut into Australian market.
History - construction and ownership
Carnival Cruise Lines (CCL) is an US company, trademarked brand and subsidiary of Carnival Corporation (shipowner). CCL was founded in 1972 as independent company by Ted Arison (1924-1999, co-founder of NCL Norwegian). Carnival Cruise Lines has Corporation's largest fleet as both number of vessels and GT tonnage (ship sizes and capacities). CCL has over 1/5 of cruise industry's worldwide market.
The 85,942-ton, 2,124-passenger Spirit Class cruise ship Carnival Legend introduced some significant firsts for the company, including onboard wedding chapels and alternative restaurants. Spirit-class ships also boast an impressive 80% ratio of outside cabins, and lots of nice little touches such as 'designer' martinis and museum-quality artwork.
Legend's US$47 million refurbishment in 2014 added the Australian-only slide Green Thunder, Splashdown kids' waterslides and drenching bucket, Bonsai Sushi restaurant, Serenity Retreat for adults, Cherry on Top candy store, RedFrog Pub and brand new Aussie beers (including the Thirsty Frog Summer Ale).
Cruise itinerary program
Carnival Legend itinerary program is based on roundtrip departures from homeport Sydney Australia to South Pacific Islands port destinations (Vanuatu, New Caledonia, Fiji) during winter. In the summer months, the ship offers Alaskan roundtrip itineraries out of Seattle WA. On repositioning, the ship offers one-way cruises between Hawaii, Australia and Alaska (Vancouver Canada).
- On May 6, 2013, Carnival Cruise Lines announced that starting September 2014, Legend will be the second Carnival Australia ship. The vessel was seasonally deployed (since September 24, 2014) to Sydney NSW, joining there Carnival Spirit (deployed permanently to Australia since 2012). Carnival Legend started its schedule from Sydney Harbour with a maiden Australian cruise on September 24, 2014. The 2014 Australian program included roundtrips to the Pacific Islands (8- to 12-day long itineraries).
- Carnival Australia cruise deals on the Legend ship were available for booking in June 2013. The vessel became the newest and largest Carnival ship homeported in Sydney AU. The ship entered dry dock for refurbishment works in 2014 (Jan-Feb) in order to be “Aussified” accordingly.
- In May 2016, Carnival Australia officially confirmed Carnival Legend's homeporting in Melbourne in 2018 (February-March) for a total of of 16 roundtrip itineraries. In the period February 6 - March 24, the liner operated on roundtrips from Station Pier. The scheduled itineraries ranged from 3-night short breaks (Cruise to Nowhere) to 4-night Tasmania, 10-night South Pacific Islands (New Caledonia and Vanuatu) and 11-night Around New Zealand. For the last time, Carnival Australia homeported ship in Melbourne Victoria in 2013.
Starting October 2019, the ship will be homeported in Tampa Florida, replacing there Carnival Miracle . In advance of the new Tampa deployment, Carnival Legend offers a series of longer "Carnival Journeys" itineraries, including a 15-day Panama Canal transition cruise (from Los Angeles to Tampa) and a 16-day Hawaii cruise from Vancouver (BC Canada).
- From Tampa are offered 7-night Western Caribbean cruises (to ports Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Roatan, with Belize or Costa Maya).
- On January 25, 2020 the liner also offers a one-time, 8-day voyage including a partial Panama Canal transit, as well as visits to Limon and Grand Cayman.
- Legend also offers a one-time, 14-day Panama Canal voyage from Tampa on December 1, 2019 featuring calls at Cozumel, Limon, Cartagena, Aruba, Curacao and Grand Cayman.
Carnival Legend has a total number of 1062 cabins (of which 50 Suites) in 28 grades. Most Carnival Legend staterooms are 185-sq.foot insides (213), oceanview (167) and balcony (632, with verandas of 40-85 sq.feet). There are also 50 Suites and 17 wheelchair accessible cabins, but no Spa accommodations. Suites include separate sitting areas, refrigerators, spa bathtubs (whirlpools), double sinks and large balconies with two tables, sun loungers and sitting chairs. Extra services for suite guests include priority embarkation and disembarkation.
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
Carnival Legend offers several restaurants and a couple of innovative dining concepts. The Unicorn Cafe buffet restaurant is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, but also serves 24-hour complimentary pizza and ice cream. The full-service Truffles, is a 2-level dining room with 3-course menu and wine list. New for Truffles is the experience 'A Taste of Nouveau', where diners can sample dishes that are normally served in the fine-dining Nouveau steakhouse restaurant (formerly called Golden Fleece). Situated on the top deck, it serves prime aged beef and lobster dishes.
The new concept "Long Lunch at Sea" takes place in the Nouveau on sea days. A 3-course lunch costs $30 and features dishes like blue-crab salad and grilled cold-water lobster. A fresh seafood platter is served for another $20. A selection of wines will cost an extra US$20 per person. Bonsai Sushi on Deck 2 is a completely new experience. Passengers can sit at tables for two and four or at the bar and choose from a menu featuring sashimi, sushi rolls, bento boxes, along with Japanese desserts and sake.
Follows the complete list of Carnival Legend restaurants and food bars.
- Truffles Restaurant (1122-seat aft Dining Room, with two fixed dinner seatings, or “Your Time Dining”; offers “Seuss At Sea” themed breakfasts for $5; with the 36-seat Private Club Room restaurant annex).
- The Golden Fleece Steakhouse (744-seat reservations only restaurant, serving seafood and prime beef steaks; with dance floor and stage for live performances)
- Unicorn Cafe Lido Buffet Restaurant (1396-seat self-service restaurant with complimentary food stations; operates as dinner bistro in the evenings)
- Sushi Bar (complimentary).
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
The major theme onboard Carnival Legend is ”great legends in the history”. The theme is carried out throughout ship's twelve passenger decks, sixteen lounges, indoor and outdoor promenades. The "Fun Ship" has it all, including a 9-deck-high atrium, golf program, duty-free shopping mall, video arcade and 1,800-sq.ft kids' play space.
The Atlantis lounge is the best place for a meet-and-greet with friends and a good cocktail. Follies Show lounge pampers with Las Vegas-style show programmes, and Sing-along Piano Bar features karaoke and live musical performances. The Dream Team Bar is the spot to watch your favorite sports team as it has large-screen TVs so you can catch the action and enjoy favorite drinks. There is also Satchmo's Club and Billi's Piano Bar. Dance away the night at Medusa's Lair, Carnival Legend's nightclub.
Follows the complete list of Carnival Legend lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Firebird Lounge (484-seat, hosts Punchliner Comedy Club/brunch)
- Medusa’s Lair Disco and Nightclub (211-seat, 2-level Dance Club)
- Follies Theatre (1400-seat, 3-level main show lounge, also used for movies, bingo games, gameshows)
- Trump Card Room (30-seat)
- Legend Cafe (28-seat specialty coffee bar and patisserie)
- Taste Bar (serves complimentary appetizers);; Dreamteam Bar (10-seat sports bar); Billie’s Bar (88-seat piano bar); Juice Bar, Towel Bar; Odyssey Foyer Lounge and Bar (100-seat)
- Satchmo’s Jazz Club (425-seat jazz lounge)
- Club Merlin Casino (108-seat, served by Merlin Bar; with 6-pocket Legend Pool Table)
- Legend Atrium (11-deck high midship open area with dance floor and stage, served by 147-seatLegend Lobby Bar)
- Atlantis Lobby Lounge (23-seat wine bar)
- Enchanted Forest Interior Promenade (55-seat)
- The Holmes Library and Internet Cafe (17-seat, 24-hour Internet computers)
- Wedding Chapel (30-seat)
- Hollywood Boulevard Upper Promenade
- The Fun Shops (offers “Bon Voyage” items, duty-free liquor, jewelry, fashion boutiques, souvenirs, logo items); Formalities Shop (tuxedo rentals, special occasion gifts); Studio Photo Gallery and Shop
- Gigabytes Video Games Arcade (24-hour)
- Circle C (kids' lounge complimentary area with video games, parties, movies, planned activities)
- Camp Carnival (aft located kids' lounge area with complimentary kids programmes and supervised activities)
- Spa Carnival complex (with Steam Rooms, Saunas, Whirlpool, 10 Treatment Rooms, Helen of Troy Beauty Salon and Fitness Center)
- Camelot Pool; Avalon Pool (with Sky Dome sliding roof). Both pools are served by Avalon Bar
- Serenity (adult-only relaxation area with Whirlpool, Pool, Bar and sunbathing area with lounges)
- Club O2 (teens club lounge with video games, movies, karaoke and themed parties)
- WaterWorks Aqua Park (with 214 ft Twister Waterslide, 187 ft Green Thunder waterslide, PowerDrencher bucket, mini-racing waterslides, kids pool play area)
- Volleyball-Basketball Court; 9-hole Mini Golf Course; Jogging Track, Shuffleboard.
Carnival Legend wiki
- Fun Ship 2.0 upgrade in 2013
- The Carnival Legend cruise ship is of the line's Spirit-class vessels. Her sisters are the Carnival ships Miracle, Pride, Spirit, and the Costa Atlantica and Costa Mediterranea.
- The vessel was christened by Judith Olivia Dench (Judi Dench) - British actress and author.
- When she debuted in August 2002, Carnival Legend was the first ever vessel from the "Fun Ships" fleet which has an onboard wedding chapel and alternative options for dining. The percentage of Legend staterooms with ocean views is impressive – 80%, and 80% of them with their own balconies. She has a nine-deck-high atrium, duty-free luxury shops and an impressive golf program. Kids are amused in the children' play area of 1,800-square-feet. The Legend's interior design theme is the great legends in the history, carried out throughout all passenger decks, promenades and lounges.
- In February-March 2018, Carnival Legend was home-ported in Melbourne Australia. During that time, the ship will offer a total of 6 round-trip itineraries - three 3-night Cruises to Nowhere (short breaks without any ports of call), one 4-night cruise to Tasmania, one 10-night to South Pacific islands and one 11-night around New Zealand.
- (August 21, 2002) - 3 attempts to crash the Champagne bottle at the christening ceremony.
- (January 2017) The ship's first ever New Zealand cruise was the itinerary January 7-17. The 10-day round-trip cruise from Sydney Australia visited the NZ ports Wellington (Jan 10), Akaroa (Jan 11), Dunedin (Jan 12), and the Fiordland National Park (Jan 13). This was also Carnival Cruise Lines first NZ cruise. The Legend ship also has the title of cruising the furthest north when in 2013 visited Greenland (Qaqortoq) during the 15-day Transatlantic crossing to NYC (Oct 7) from Europe. From New York, the ship was repositioned to Tampa Florida and since September 2014 started its Australian cruise program.
Carnival Legend - user reviews and comments
Photos of Carnival LegendAdd Photo
Carnival Legend ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
The newly revamped Carnival Legend will re-position to Tampa, Florida in October 2019. The Carnival Cruise Line's ship is currently spending...May 12, 2018
- Cruise Industry
A Carnival cruise ship making her way up Columbia and Willamette rivers on Wednesday, May 2, will be temporarily staying on Portland waterfront...May 4, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Carnival Legend sailed from Sydney on Tuesday, April 3 for her yearly northern hemisphere summer season in Alaska, prior to dry dock refurbishment...April 7, 2018
A violent brawl broke out onboard a Carnival Cruise Lines vessel bound for Melbourne and forced it to dock early in NSW. The brawl is said to have...February 16, 2018
- Cruise Industry
One of the few cruise ships to be homeported in Melbourne, Carnival Legend, sailed into Port Melbourne at sunrise on Wednesday, February 7. The...February 7, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Carnival Cruise Line launched its 2018-2019 cruise program, offering Australians a larger number of voyages than ever before. The new program...June 7, 2017
Passengers aboard Carnival Legend sailing into Victoria experienced scary moments when the ship listed sharply to one side, thus sending dishes...September 8, 2016
- show more news
Other Carnival Cruise Line cruise ships
Carnival Legend Itineraries
The below listed Carnival Legend cruise prices on itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Carnival Cruise Line fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|Date||Cruise Name||Departure Port||Price from|
|2018 Nov 01||12 days, one-way from Sydney to Melbourne||Sydney|
|2018 Nov 13||10 days, round-trip New Zealand From Melbourne||Melbourne|
|2018 Nov 23||3 days, round-trip Weekend Sampler From Melbourne||Melbourne|
|2018 Nov 26||4 days, one-way from Melbourne to Sydney||Melbourne||$329|
|2018 Nov 30||9 days, round-trip Pacific Islands From Sydney||Sydney|
|2018 Dec 09||8 days, round-trip Pacific Islands From Sydney||Sydney|
|2018 Dec 17||10 days, round-trip Pacific Islands From Sydney||Sydney||$1049|
|2018 Dec 27||12 days, round-trip Pacific Islands From Sydney||Sydney|
|2019 Jan 08||8 days, round-trip Pacific Islands From Sydney||Sydney||$1299|
|2019 Jan 16||8 days, one-way from Sydney to Melbourne||Sydney||$999|
|2019 Jan 24||4 days, round-trip Tasmania From Melbourne||Melbourne||$719|
|2019 Jan 28||9 days, round-trip Pacific Islands From Melbourne||Melbourne||$1149|
|2019 Feb 06||10 days, round-trip New Zealand From Melbourne||Melbourne||$1299|
|2019 Feb 16||11 days, round-trip Pacific Islands From Melbourne||Melbourne||$1349|
|2019 Feb 27||4 days, round-trip Tasmania From Melbourne||Melbourne||$579|
|2019 Mar 03||3 days, one-way from Melbourne to Sydney||Melbourne||$299|
|2019 Mar 06||8 days, round-trip Pacific Islands From Sydney||Sydney||$1099|
|2019 Mar 14||4 days, round-trip Queensland From Sydney||Sydney||$669|
|2019 Mar 18||7 days, round-trip Pacific Islands From Sydney||Sydney||$799|
|2019 Mar 25||8 days, round-trip Pacific Islands From Sydney||Sydney||$849|
|2019 Apr 02||17 days, one-way from Sydney to Honolulu||Sydney||$2699|
|2019 Apr 19||10 days, one-way from Honolulu to Vancouver||Honolulu||$839|
|2019 Apr 29||7 days, one-way from Vancouver to Seattle||Vancouver||$659|
|2019 May 06||8 days, round-trip Alaska||Seattle||$899|
|2019 May 14||7 days, round-trip Alaska||Seattle||$879|
|2019 May 21||7 days, round-trip Alaska||Seattle||$889|
|2019 May 28||7 days, round-trip Alaska||Seattle||$969|
|2019 Jun 04||7 days, round-trip Alaska||Seattle||$1064|
|2019 Jun 11||7 days, round-trip Alaska||Seattle||$1099|
|2019 Jun 18||7 days, round-trip Alaska||Seattle||$1119|
|2019 Jun 25||7 days, round-trip Alaska||Seattle||$1119|
|2019 Jul 02||7 days, round-trip Alaska||Seattle||$1109|
|2019 Jul 09||7 days, round-trip Alaska||Seattle||$1109|
|2019 Jul 16||7 days, round-trip Alaska||Seattle||$1129|
|2019 Jul 23||7 days, round-trip Alaska||Seattle||$1149|
|2019 Jul 30||7 days, round-trip Alaska||Seattle||$1094|
|2019 Aug 06||7 days, round-trip Alaska||Seattle||$1049|
|2019 Aug 13||7 days, round-trip Alaska||Seattle||$1009|
|2019 Aug 20||7 days, round-trip Alaska||Seattle||$979|
|2019 Aug 27||7 days, round-trip Alaska||Seattle||$979|
|2019 Sep 03||7 days, round-trip Alaska||Seattle||$999|
|2019 Sep 10||7 days, one-way from Seattle to Vancouver||Seattle||$849|
|2019 Sep 17||9 days, round-trip Glacier Bay||Vancouver||$1059|
|2019 Sep 26||16 days, one-way from Vancouver to Los Angeles||Vancouver||$1309|
|2019 Oct 12||15 days, one-way from Los Angeles to Tampa||Los Angeles||$1359|
|2019 Oct 27||7 days, round-trip Western Caribbean||Tampa||$474|
|2019 Nov 03||7 days, round-trip Western Caribbean||Tampa||$454|
|2019 Nov 10||7 days, round-trip Western Caribbean||Tampa||$449|
|2019 Nov 17||7 days, round-trip Western Caribbean||Tampa||$449|
|2019 Nov 24||7 days, round-trip Western Caribbean||Tampa||$579|
|2019 Dec 01||14 days, round-trip Panama Canal||Tampa||$1009|
|2019 Dec 15||7 days, round-trip Western Caribbean||Tampa||$509|
|2019 Dec 22||7 days, round-trip Western Caribbean||Tampa||$799|
|2019 Dec 29||7 days, round-trip Western Caribbean||Tampa||$879|
|2020 Jan 05||7 days, round-trip Western Caribbean||Tampa||$489|
|2020 Jan 12||7 days, round-trip Western Caribbean||Tampa||$489|
|2020 Jan 25||8 days, round-trip Panama Canal||Tampa||$869|
|2020 Feb 02||7 days, round-trip Western Caribbean||Tampa||$519|
|2020 Feb 09||7 days, round-trip Western Caribbean||Tampa||$519|
|2020 Feb 16||7 days, round-trip Western Caribbean||Tampa||$549|
|2020 Mar 01||7 days, round-trip Western Caribbean||Tampa||$529|
|2020 Mar 08||7 days, round-trip Western Caribbean||Tampa||$579|
|2020 Mar 15||7 days, round-trip Western Caribbean||Tampa||$579|
|2020 Mar 22||7 days, round-trip Western Caribbean||Tampa||$589|
|2020 Mar 29||7 days, round-trip Western Caribbean||Tampa||$579|
|2020 Apr 05||7 days, round-trip Western Caribbean||Tampa||$629|
|2020 Apr 12||7 days, round-trip Western Caribbean||Tampa||$609|
|2020 Apr 19||7 days, round-trip Western Caribbean||Tampa||$529|
|2020 Apr 26||7 days, round-trip Western Caribbean||Tampa||$529|