Specifications of Carnival Imagination
|Year built||1995 / Age: 25|
|Builder||Kvaerner Masa-Yards (Helsinki, STX Finland)|
|Building cost||USD 300 million|
|Owner||Carnival Corporation & PLC|
|Operator||Carnival Cruise Line|
|Speed||21 kn / 39 kph / 24 mph|
|Length (LOA)||262 m / 860 ft|
|Beam (width)||31 m / 102 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||70367 gt|
|Passengers||2052 - 2462|
|Decks with cabins||5|
|Last Refurbishment||2019, Aliaga-scrapped in 2020|
|Sister-ships||Carnival Ecstasy, Carnival Elation, Carnival Fantasy, Carnival Fascination, Carnival Inspiration, Carnival Paradise, Carnival Sensation|
|Christened by||Jodi Dickinson|
Carnival Imagination Review
Review of Carnival Imagination
The 1995-built cruise ship Carnival Imagination was the fifth in an 8-vessel Fantasy-class series - together with the sisterships Fantasy, Elation, Inspiration, Paradise and the "balcony ships" Fascination, Sensation, and Ecstasy.
On August 27, Carnival Imagination left Port Willemstad (Curacao Island) for a Transatlantic crossing to Europe. The ship's AIS transponder reported as destination port ALIAGA TURKEY. In July-August 2020, the fleetmates Fantasy and Inspiration were both dismantled and recycled at Aliaga Ship Recycling Facility (near Port Izmir, Turkey). CCL Imagination was last drydock refurbished in 2019.
- A total of 156x Carnival Imagination cruises were cancelled - departures scheduled for the period November 1, 2020, through April 28, 2022. CCL Imagination ship was planned for homeporting in Long Beach-Los Angeles (California USA) and to operate on short-break Baja Mexico itineraries - 3-day (to Ensenada Mexico) and 4-day (to Santa Catalina Island CA and Ensenada).
- The liner entered the Mediterranean waters on Sept 7 and arrived/anchored in Aliaga Bay on Sept 13. The vessel's AIS transponder went silent on Sept 14, at 14:58 UTC, when it was beached for demolition.
History - construction and ownership
Carnival Cruise Lines (CCL) is a US company, trademarked brand and subsidiary of Carnival Corporation (shipowner). CCL was founded in 1972 as an independent company by Ted Arison (1924-1999, co-founder of NCL Norwegian). Carnival Cruise Lines has Corporation's largest fleet as both a number of vessels and GT tonnage (ship sizes and capacities). CCL has over 1/5 of the cruise industry's worldwide market.
The 2052-passenger cruise ship Carnival Imagination was one of the oldest Carnival "Fun Ships", last drydock refurbished in 2019. During drydock 2008 were added "Evolution of Fun" (Fun Ship 1.0) upgrades like "Serenity" (adults only sundeck) and Carnival WaterWorks (aqua park). The project notified a new era for Carnival Imagination and carries the USD 250 million price tag - an onboard extreme makeover that made the ship competitive with the newer liners. Ffor families were added 50 connecting staterooms and Camp Carnival was updated with a kids-only water park and supervised youth programming. After the makeover, the ship nearly appeared new - despite its definitely dated design.
Cruise itinerary program
Carnival Imagination itinerary program was based on 3- and 4-day "Catalina-Ensenada" roundtrip cruises from Los Angeles (Long Beach CA departures) to Santa Catalina Island (California) and Ensenada (Baja Mexico). Because of its short cruises, the vessel was an attraction for many first-timers as well as veteran travellers who really enjoyed the casual attitude and the comfort of the familiar boat.
Carnival Imagination staterooms (a total number of 1026) include 54x Suites (no Balcony rooms) in 19 categories. Most cabins are 185-ft2 Insides (408) and Oceanview (564). CCL Imagination has 25 wheelchair-accessible cabins (for disabled passengers). Grand Suites are the largest accommodations (330 ft2) and accommodate up to 5 passengers. They feature sitting areas and spacious bathrooms with whirlpool bathtubs and a separate shower. Suite passengers benefit from VIP amenities and exclusive services.
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
Onboard dining options revolve around the Pride and Spirit restaurants, Imagination's main dining rooms. Those who seek for more casual dining may find so in the buffet - The Horizon Bar and Grill. This self-serve buffet venue is where guests congregate for cereal, bacon and pancakes in the mornings; chicken, burgers, deli selections and made-to-order pizza at lunch; prime rib, lamb, turkey or pork carving stations each evening. At night the casual Lido buffet becomes Seaview Bistro for casual dinners. Also available are poolside outdoor grills, pizzeria and rotisserie; a complimentary sushi bar; specialty coffee bar and patisserie; and 24-hour room service that offers a limited menu of selections for breakfast.
Unlike other Fun Ships, there is no specialty restaurant or Supper Club onboard Carnival Imagination. However, as is also available on all of the Fun ships is Chef's Table - a dining experience that affords a dozen guests a multicourse dinner with a private cocktail reception, a tour of the galley and a master chef. This dining option takes place in a non-traditional venue, like the library or the galley, and can be booked onboard for US$75 per person.
Follows the complete list of Carnival Imagination restaurants and food bars.
- Pride Dining Room (650-seat, forward Main Dining Room, with two fixed dinner seatings, or "Your Time Dining"; offers themed breakfasts - "Seuss At Sea", for $5 cover charge)
- Spirit Dining Room (658-seat, aft Main Dining Room, with two fixed dinner seatings).
- Horizon Lido Buffet Restaurant (722-seat, complimentary self-service restaurant with various food stations; operates as a Bistro in the evenings).
- Sushi Bar (complimentary)
- Guy's Burger Joint ((Lido Deck, complimentary poolside food bar serving hand-crafted burgers and fresh-cut fries)
- BlueIguana Cantina (Lido Deck, complimentary poolside Mexican food bar serving fresh-made burritos and tacos on homemade tortillas, salsa bar, toppings bar).
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
The two-story Dynasty Lounge is Carnival Imagination's multi-purpose showroom. However, the Promenade Deck is where everything happens. There is the Dream Bar, a piano bar, and Illusions Dance Club and Shangri La come to life in the evening when the sun goes down. The Xanadu Lounge and Pinnacle Club attract before and after dinner crowd. El Dorado is the spot for late-night partiers.
Use of the Fitness Center is complimentary. Some yoga classes are organized for a modest fee. The top deck offers a jogging track. 8 times around the deck equals 1 mile. Carnival WaterWorks, the new waterpark, located aft on Deck 11, is fantastic. It is a great addition to Imagination's amenities. Every afternoon live musicians entertain the public at the main pool. But the best thing on Carnival ships is the Serenity. This special adults-only area features 120 comfortable lounges and two whirlpools.
Carnival Cruise Line's passengers will soon be able to enjoy the first-ever "Carnival Playtime" event that is a new partnership with Hasbro. Line's guests will be able to engage in all sorts of games and characters inspired by My Little Pony and the Transformers, onboard Carnival Imagination. Fans will get onboard the special 4-day trip between July 13-September 17, 2017 departing from Long Beach, California.
Follows the complete list of Carnival Imagination lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Imagination Grand Atrium Plaza (7-deck high midship open area served by Grand Plaza Lobby Bar)
- Internet Cafe (24-hour Internet computers room)
- The Dynasty Theatre (1300-seat, 2-level main show lounge)
- Mirage Piano Bar (92-seat)
- Blue Iguana Tequila Bar (Lido Deck, Mexican-themed poolside bar for frozens and craft beers)
- Alchemy Bar (Promenade Deck , cocktail lounge served by professional mixologists)
- RedFrog Rum Bar (Promenade Deck, Caribbean-themed rum bar for frozens and beers, also serving Carnival's private label ThirstyFrog Red / draught beer)
- Cherry On Top (bulk candy store, also selling Carnival-logoed merchandise and special occasion gifts)
- Imagination Promenade and Bar (230-seat)
- Vittorio's Cafe (58-seat specialty coffee bar)
- Shangri La Lounge and Bar (109-seat, with karaoke and dance floor)
- IIlussions Disco and Nightclub (230-seat Dance Club)
- Pinnacle Club Bar (92-seat cigar bar with piano)
- Xanadu Lounge and Bar (540-seat, hosts Punchliner Comedy Club/brunch)
- Art Gallery; Photo Gallery and Shop; Formalities Shop (tuxedo rentals, special occasion gifts); The Fun Shops (offer "Bon Voyage" store menu, souvenirs, watches, jewelry, logo merchandise, duty-free liquor, fashion boutiques)
- Circle C (kids' complimentary club lounge with movies, video games, parties, planned activities)
- 24-hour Video Games Arcade; Club O2 teens' lounge for movies, karaoke, parties
- Eldorado Casino (450-seat, served by Dream Bar)
- Serenity (adults only relaxation area with padded lounges, hammocks and two Whirlpools).
- Imagination Lido Pool area; Carnival WaterWorks Aqua Park (features the 4-deck high Twister Waterslide, 2 racing min-slides, Splash Zone - fountains, jets, splash pool, kids area)
- Camp Carnival (kids club lounge on Verandah Deck, with a complimentary program and play area) during refurbishment 2016 was redesigned and transformed into Camp Ocean.
- Spa Carnival (Spa and Fitness complex with Relaxation Room, Steam Rooms, Saunas, Massage Rooms, Beauty Salon, Gymnasium with Aerobics Studio)
- Basketball/Volleyball Court, Jogging Track, Tennis Tables, 9-hole Mini Golf Course, Shuffleboard.
Carnival Imagination - user reviews and comments
Photos of Carnival ImaginationAdd Photo
Carnival Imagination ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
Less than a year ago, CCL-Carnival Cruise Line ship Carnival Fascination was sailing Caribbean voyages out of San Juan Puerto Rico. However, the...December 25, 2020
- Cruise Industry
CCL-Carnival Cruise Line announced the sale of Carnival Imagination and Carnival Fascination, which had previously been put on long-term layup and...September 19, 2020
- Cruise Industry
A third ship in the CCL-Carnival Cruise Line's fleet is now headed for the scrappers. The 2,056-guest Carnival Imagination filed a cruise plan...August 27, 2020
The passenger liner Carnival Fantasy ended its final voyage Tuesday morning, July 28, when the vessel arrived at its final resting place. Following...July 29, 2020
- Cruise Industry
CCL-Carnival Cruise Line announced new plans for its fleet expected to generate tremendous passenger excitement once the company resumes sailing...July 23, 2020
An elderly female cruise passenger who suffered head injury was airlifted by Coast Guard crew and taken to a hospital early Monday...October 27, 2016
- show more news
Other Scrapped Cruise Ships cruise ships
Carnival Imagination Wiki
The Carnival ship Imagination is of company's oldest (Fantasy-class) vessels, with sisterships Ecstasy, Elation, Fantasy, Fascination, Inspiration, Paradise, Sensation. The liner was christened by Jodi Dickinson - wife of Bob Dickinson (Carnival's CEO and President).
For the first time, the Imagination ship in 2014 changed its homeport Miami Florida and was relocated to the US West Coast to operate short Baja Mexico cruises from Los Angeles (Long Beach CA). In Miami, the liner was replaced by Ecstasy. Carnival Imagination itinerary program from PortMiami ended in January 2014. This program was a result from the Fascination ship being relocated from Miami to Jacksonville FL (in 2008) when the old Carnival Celebration cruise ship was transferred to the fleet of Iberocruceros (a subsidiary and brand name of Carnival Corp).
Carnival Imagination refurbishment 2016 review
The list of deck plan changes after the ship's 2016 drydock refurbishment (done in Freeport Bahamas) included:
- (Lido Deck 10) Guy’s Burger Joint was added (complimentary poolside dining venue serving hand-crafted burgers and fresh-cut fries )
- (Lido Deck 10) BlueIguana Cantina was added (complimentary poolside Mexican eatery for fresh-made burritos and tacos on homemade tortillas, with salsa bar and a variety of toppings). Also here was added the Blue Iguana Tequila Bar (Mexican-themed outdoor bar for frozens and beers).
- (Promenade Deck 9) Alchemy Bar was added (Carnival's “cocktail pharmacy” lounge with professional mixologists and made-to-order drinks). Also here was added the RedFrog Rum Bar (rum bar for frozens and beers, serving Carnival’s private label ThirstyFrog Red /draught beer).
- (Promenade Deck 9) Cherry On Top was added (bulk candy store, also selling Carnival Cruise Lines logo apparel, gifts, toys)).
- (Verandah Deck 11) the old Camp Carnival kids complex was redesigned and transformed into Camp Ocean. Also here (aft) was installed Carnival Waterworks (aquapark with Splash Zone, 2 mini racing slides for kids, and the Twister Waterslide).
- Various technical enhancements were also implemented, including shoreside power capabilities.
- Routine maintenance works included new hull coating.
- During refurbishment 2016, the crew area was also renovated.
Refurbishment 2019 (wet-dock) was at Vigor Shipyards (in Portland Oregon) and included regular maintenance works.
Carnival Imagination refurbishment 2008 review
In 2008, CCL Imagination ship was drydocked for the "Evolution of Fun" upgrade ("Fun Ship 1.0"). The refurbishment added some trendy features, currently very popular with the passengers, like the adult-only "Serenity" sundeck, a great lounge place with sea view, and the Carnival WaterWorks park with slide - for all the speed-water fun fans. The ship's main pool area can accommodate more than 800 guests at max capacity. The Imagination ship attracts many first-time Carnival cruisers because of her short itinerary. The Fun Ship 2.0 upgrade was in 2016.
Carnival Imagination User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review