Specifications of Carnival Fantasy
|Year built||1990 / Age: 30|
|Builder||Kvaerner Masa-Yards Helsinki, Finland|
|Building cost||USD 250 million|
|Owner||Carnival Corporation & PLC|
|Operator||Carnival Cruise Line|
|Speed||21 kn / 39 kph / 24 mph|
|Length (LOA)||260 m / 853 ft|
|Beam (width)||31 m / 102 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||70367 gt|
|Passengers||2056 - 2467|
|Decks with cabins||5|
|Last Refurbishment||2016, Aliaga-scrapped in 2020|
|Sister-ships||Carnival Ecstasy, Carnival Elation, Carnival Fascination, Carnival Imagination, Carnival Inspiration, Carnival Paradise, Carnival Sensation|
|Christened by||Tellervo Koivisto|
Carnival Fantasy Review
Review of Carnival Fantasy
The 1990-built Carnival Fantasy cruise ship was the first of CCL-Carnival Cruise Lines' 8x Fantasy-class liners - together with Sensation, Fascination and the originally "no balcony ships" Ecstasy, Elation, Imagination, Inspiration, Paradise.
In mid-July 2020, the shipowner Carnival Corporation sold for scrap the cruise ships Carnival Fantasy (30-years-old) and Carnival Inspiration (24-years-old). Both vessels were dismantled and recycled at Aliaga Ship Recycling Facility (near Port Izmir, Turkey).
A total of 100x Carnival Fantasy cruises were cancelled - departures scheduled for the period October 3, 2020, through January 17, 2022. CCL Fantasy ship was planned for homeporting in Mobile (Alabama USA) and to operate on Western Caribbean Mexico itineraries - 4-day (to Cozumel, Quintana Roo) and 5-day (Cozumel and Progreso, Yucatan).
On July 23, CCL announced that Fantasy and Inspiration are sold but not to be scrapped. The buyer's name (new shipowner) was not specified. Carnival Sensation was relocated (changed homeport) from Miami to Mobile Alabama, taking up the pre-assigned schedules of Fantasy and Fascination. Carnival Fascination's schedule 2020-2021 based on homeporting in San Juan (Puerto Rico) and Bridgetown (Barbados) was cancelled. The ship's new homeport (mainland USA) and itineraries are yet to be announced. Carnival Sunrise was redeployed from Port Everglades (Fort Lauderdale) to Miami, taking up the Carnival Sensation's schedule.
On July 23, Carnival Fantasy entered the Mediterranean Sea waters. The ship's AIS transponder reported as destination port ALIAGA TK. On July 28, the liner anchored in Aliga Bay (north of the shipbreaking yard) and its AIS went silent at 8:02 UTC. Fantasy was beached onshore (next to Pullmantur Sovereign and Pullmantur Monarch) and later dismantled.
History - construction and ownership
Carnival Cruise Lines (CCL) is a US shipping company, trademarked brand and subsidiary of Carnival Corporation (shipowner). CCL was founded in 1972 as an independent company by Ted Arison (1924-1999, co-founder of NCL Norwegian). Carnival Cruise Lines has Corporation's largest fleet as both a number of vessels and GT tonnage (ship sizes and capacities). CCL has over 1/5 of the cruise industry's worldwide market.
The 2000-passenger cruise ship Carnival Fantasy was the oldest Carnival "Fun Ship". Drydock 2008 featured extensive cabin upgrades (including flat-screen TVs), a new water park and expanded dining options. Passenger cabins were furnished in reds and golds, main dining rooms accented with plush chairs and soft lights.
CCL Fantasy was last drydock refurbished in 2016 (at Grand Bahama Shipyard in Freeport Bahamas). During its CCL service, the vessel (IMO number 8700773) was Panama-flagged (MMSI number 353486000) and registered in Colon.
Decks and Cabins
Carnival Fantasy staterooms (1028 total, in 19 grades) were most sized 170-185-ft2 / 16-17-m2 and included the cabin types Inside (408), Oceanview (564) and Suites (54, with cabin balconies sized 20-70 ft2). CCL Fantasy ship has 25x wheelchair-accessible cabins (for disabled passengers) and no Standard Balcony cabins. Grand Suites are the largest accommodations (330 ft2 / 31 m2 plus 70-115 ft2 / 7-11 m2 terrace) and accommodate up to 5 passengers. They feature sitting areas, spacious bathrooms (with whirlpool bathtubs, separate shower), VIP amenities and exclusive services.
The boat has 13 decks, of which 10 are passenger-accessible and 5 with cabins.
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
The most convenient dining option on Carnival Fantasy is Windows on the Sea buffet located on Lido Deck. Continental breakfast is served from 7 to 7:30 a.m. on sea days and starting at 6 a.m. on port days. Items offered include yogurt, bagels, and fruit. Buffet breakfast runs from 6 a.m. to noon /port days and from 7:30 a.m. to noon /sea days. An omelet station is offered at the rear of the buffet, where the pizzeria is situated. The Sushi Bar is another free dining option, at the end of the promenade, just before the Grand Atrium. This little stand, open daily from 5 to 8:15 p.m. offers several types of sushi and vegetarian options. If you're curious to taste something different, choose the Mongolian Wok, next to the grill and close to the pool on Lido Deck.
Also available on all of the Fun ships is Chef's Table - a dining experience that affords a dozen guests a multicourse dinner with a private cocktail reception, a tour of the galley and a master chef. This dining option takes place in a non-traditional venue, like the library or the galley, and can be booked onboard for US$75 per person.
Follows the complete list of Carnival Fantasy restaurants and food bars.
- Celebration Dining Room (650-seat, forward Main Dining Room (with two fixed dinner seatings) or "Your Time Dining" with themed breakfasts - "Seuss At Sea", for $5 cover charge)
- Jubilee Dining Room (658-seat, aft Main Dining Room, with two fixed dinner seatings).
- Windows On The Sea Lido Buffet Restaurant (722-seat, complimentary self-service restaurant with various food stations; operates as a bistro in the evenings).
- Sushi Bar (complimentary).
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
The Grand Atrium on Carnival Fantasy spans six decks and boasts a huge skylight window, as well as glass-enclosed elevators. The 2-deck high Universe Lounge is the spot where most of the entertainment takes place. It features a space-age theme, black curtains, black carpeting with stars and planets, plush seats and red walls. Everything from Battle of the Sexes to country line dancing takes place there. Nightly shows include plenty of singing and dancing, live music, comedians and magicians.
Be aware that "what to do on your cruise" presentations are usually loosely masked sales pitches for future cruises, shore excursions, and art. You can always catch, what you consider might have been an interesting presentation, on your in-room TV later in the day. Ship's Forum Lounge, located on Promenade Deck, is significantly smaller and hosts smaller performances, such as karaoke.
Follows the complete list of Carnival Fantasy lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens, and adults.
- Ecstasy Grand Atrium Plaza (7-deck high midship open area served by Grand Plaza Lobby Bar)
- Internet Cafe (24-hour Internet computers room)
- Art Gallery; Photo Gallery and Shop; Formalities Shop (tuxedo rentals, special occasion gifts); The Fun Shops (offer "Bon Voyage" store menu, souvenirs, watches, jewelry, logo merchandise, duty-free liquor, fashion boutiques)
- Universe Theatre (1300-seat, 2-level main show lounge)
- Circle C (kids' complimentary club lounge with movies, video games, parties, planned activities)
- Cleopatra's Piano Bar (92-seat);
- 24-hour Video Games Arcade; Club O2 teens' lounge for movies, karaoke, parties
- Club 21 Casino (450-seat, served by the 21st Century Bar)
- Via Marina Promenade and Bar (230-seat), Jewelry Shop
- Bistro On The Blvd (58-seat specialty coffee bar and patisserie)
- Cats Lounge and Bar (109-seat, with karaoke and dance floor)
- Electricity Disco and Nightclub (230-seat Dance Club)
- Majestic Bar (92-seat cigar bar with piano)
- The Forum Lounge and Bar (540-seat, with dance floor and stage for live performances - Punchliner Comedy Club/brunch shows)
- Serenity (adults only relaxation area with padded lounges, hammocks and two Whirlpools).
- Fantasy Lido Pool area; Carnival WaterWorks Aqua Park (features the 4-deck high Twister Waterslide, two racing waterslides, fountains, jets, splash pool, kids area)
- Camp Carnival (kids' club lounge with a complimentary programme and play area)
- Spa Carnival (Spa and Fitness complex with Relaxation Room, Steam Rooms, Saunas, Massage Rooms, Beauty Salon, Gymnasium with Aerobics Studio)
- Basketball/Volleyball Court, Jogging Track, Tennis Tables, 9-hole Mini-Golf Course, Shuffleboard.
The last Carnival Fantasy itinerary program was based on 4- and 5-day short Bahamas cruises from homeport Charleston SC. Feature port destinations included Nassau and Freeport. Ship's 7-day Eastern Caribbean itineraries also called at Carnival's private island Half Moon Cay and Grand Turk Island (Cockburn Town). Starting February 2016, Fantasy was homeported in Miami FL for Florida-Bahamas roundtrips visiting Nassau, Key West and Cozumel.
Since November 2016, the CCL Fantasy ship operated Western Caribbean Mexico cruises. The itineraries were roundtrips from homeport Mobile Alabama and visited Cozumel (4-day) and Cozumel+Progreso Yucatan (5-day).
Carnival Fantasy - user reviews and comments
Photos of Carnival FantasyAdd Photo
Carnival Fantasy ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
Less than a year ago, CCL-Carnival Cruise Line ship Carnival Fascination was sailing Caribbean voyages out of San Juan Puerto Rico. However, the...December 25, 2020
- Cruise Industry
CCL-Carnival Cruise Line announced the sale of Carnival Imagination and Carnival Fascination, which had previously been put on long-term layup and...September 19, 2020
- Cruise Industry
A third ship in the CCL-Carnival Cruise Line's fleet is now headed for the scrappers. The 2056-passenger Carnival Imagination filed a cruise...August 27, 2020
- Cruise Industry
Carnival Corporation announced agreements with maritime reclamation and ship recycling specialists EGE CELIK and SIMSEKLER to "responsibly...August 4, 2020
The passenger liner Carnival Fantasy ended its final voyage Tuesday morning, July 28, when the vessel arrived at its final resting place. Following...July 29, 2020
- Cruise Industry
CCL-Carnival Cruise Line announced new plans for its fleet expected to generate tremendous passenger excitement once the company resumes sailing...July 23, 2020
- Cruise Industry
CCL-Carnival Cruise Line's vessel Carnival Fantasy (1990-built, 30-years-old) has been sold for scrap. The ship is currently on a 14-day...July 18, 2020
On Friday, June 26, Trinidad and Tobago's Ministry of Health confirmed another Coronavirus (COVID-19) case after samples had been sent for testing on...June 27, 2020
- Cruise Industry
More than 300 Trinidad and Tobago nationals employed by RCCL-Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd will return home on Friday, June 12, following Coronavirus...June 7, 2020
- Cruise Industry
(crew repatriation plan) On April 18, 2020, CCL-Carnival Cruise Line (the largest subsidiary company of Carnival Corporation) announced a plan to use...April 23, 2020
- show more news
Other Scrapped Cruise Ships cruise ships
Carnival Fantasy Wiki
In 1993, the Carnival ship Fantasy was the "biggest-ever" passenger liner homeported in Port Canaveral FL. Ship's Bahamas cruises from Charleston were started in 2009. The vessel was christened by Tellervo Koivisto (1929-born) - wife of Mauno Koivisto (Finland's President in the period 1982-1994).
Fantasy is Carnival's oldest vessel and company's first Fantasy-class liner, with sisterships Ecstasy, Elation, Fascination, Imagination, Inspiration, Paradise, Sensation. Initially (1990-1993), ship's homeport was Miami Florida (3- and 4-days cruises to Bahamas). In 1993 Fantasy was homeported in Port Canaveral (Orlando) Florida. After Hurricane Katrina, in 2006 it was homeported in NOLA (New Orleans, Louisiana).
In 2008, Fantasy became the 3rd Carnival ship receiving the "Evolution of Fun" upgrade ("Fun Ship 1.0"). During the 2008-drydock, it received a new waterpark, more dining venues, major cabin upgrades (including new flat TVs and modern gold-red furniture), also soft lights and plush chairs in the MDR (dining room restaurant). Fun Ship 2.0 upgrade was in 2016.
Since 2018, Carnival Cruise Line offers 7-day roundtrip Mobile Alabama departures to destinations no longer limited to Caribbean Mexico. On April 25, 2017, the company officially announced that Carnival Fantasy's itinerary program will visit port destinations in Bahamas, Key West Florida, Grand Cayman Island, Costa Rica, Belize, Panama Canal. Itineraries were longer than ship's usual 4-5-day Mexican cruises (visiting Costa Maya and Cozumel).
Carnival Fantasy refurbishment 2016 review
- (Lido Deck 10) Guy’s Burger Joint was added (complimentary poolside dining venue serving hand-crafted burgers and fresh-cut fries )
- (Lido Deck 10) BlueIguana Cantina was added (complimentary poolside Mexican eatery for fresh-made burritos and tacos on homemade tortillas, with salsa bar and a variety of toppings). Also here was added the Blue Iguana Tequila Bar (Mexican-themed outdoor bar for frozens and beers).
- (Promenade Deck 9) Alchemy Bar was added (Carnival's “cocktail pharmacy” lounge with professional mixologists and made-to-order drinks). Also here was added the RedFrog Rum Bar (rum bar for frozens and beers, serving Carnival’s private label ThirstyFrog Red /draught beer).
- (Promenade Deck 9) Cherry On Top was added (bulk candy store, also selling Carnival Cruise Lines logo apparel, gifts, toys)).
- (Verandah Deck 11) the old Camp Carnival kids complex was redesigned and transformed into Camp Ocean. Also here (aft) was installed Carnival Waterworks (aquapark with Splash Zone, 2 mini racing slides for kids, and the Twister Waterslide).
Various technical enhancements were also implemented, including shoreside power capabilities. Routine maintenance works included new hull coating. During refurbishment 2016, the crew area was also renovated.